Start by marking “The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina—Separating the Myth from the Medicine” as Want to Read:

OB/GYN, writer for The New York Times, USA Today, and Self, and host of the show Jensplaining, Dr. Jen Gunter now delivers the definitive book on vaginal health, answering the questions you've always had but were afraid to ask--or couldn't find the right answers to. She has been called Twitter's resident gynecologist, the Internet's OB/GYN, and one of the fiercest advocate ...more
Published August 27th 2019 by Citadel Press

To ask other readers questions about The Vagina Bible, please sign up.
HeatherIlene Click on "browse" at the top of the page, then "giveaways," and then click on "giveaways you've entered." Next, click on the drop down menu that says …moreClick on "browse" at the top of the page, then "giveaways," and then click on "giveaways you've entered." Next, click on the drop down menu that says "sort by" and click "won." There should be an option for you that says you never received it. If not, click on the link that says "giveaway details" under the book that you won, and contact the person/publisher that listed the giveaway (this will be listed on the page that shows up after you click on "giveaway details"). That page should also say when the book you won shipped.(less)

Start your review of The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina—Separating the Myth from the Medicine
Laurie  Anderson
I’m buying 10 copies of this book to give to the women I care about. Dr. Jen Gunter is a damn genius with a heart of gold and one hell of an awesome vagenda. Everyone who has a vagina or who loves someone with a vagina needs to read this one.

There are so many great quotes, but this is the one I keep revisiting, “Power and health are inseparably linked.”

This book deserves to be pre-ordered.
MonumentToDecency
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is best to avoid blowing air into the vagina
I'm just going to leave that there, completely out of context, and let you deal with figuring it out all on your own.

It grinds my gears to no end hearing that rubbish that menstruation is something women should be proud of; a reminder of our femininity; a reminder of our beautiful womanhood; a reminder of our fragility, or of our ability to create life, yadda yadda. Shut the heck up.

For many women, periods are painful, and unnecessary 90% of the
NAT.orious reads ☾
5 ★★★★★ for Jen's vagenda
The patriarchy and snake oil have had a good run, but I'm done with how they negatively affect and weaponize women's health. So I am not going to stop swinging my bat until everyone has the tools to be an empowered patient and those who seek to subjugate women by keeping them from facts about their bodies have shut up and taken a seat in the back of class.
That's my vagenda.

This book is for you if…you carry a vagina and vulva or don't carry one but want to educate
Jenna
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jenna by: MonumentToDecency
I hadn't planned to read this book until I read my GR friend MonumentToDecency's review of it.  As I cannot possibly write a better and more entertaining endorsement for this book, I urge you to hop over to her review and read it for yourself.  Prepare to laugh and learn!

Click here to be taken to this most informative and hilarious review.

You too will want to read the book!  And if you have a vagina, you should!
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
I follow this author on Twitter and she's really funny and amazing, and I love how she sticks it to male trolls and idiots perpetuating medical falsehoods.

Sex ed. is really not what it should be in the United States, and I think a lot of people leave school just as confused as before (if not more so).
Claudia
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, medicine
If you have a vagina, you should read this book; if you don’t but love one (or more), you should read parts of it, as well.

If you do have knowledge about it – and you definitely should – this will not be a groundbreaking reading, but you’ll still learn some interesting facts from it.

Not to mention the writing style, which is compelling as hell; if all non-fiction books & science (generally speaking) would be written like this, I don’t think I’ll stop reading them. And if she really is in real li
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Everything you wanted to know about the vagina but were afraid to ask, or didn’t know who to ask, or couldn’t find anyone to ask

Jennifer Gunter covers the vagina basics such as where everything is located and what everything is for, including what makes up the Vulva, and the parts and anatomy of the clitoris. She goes on to debunk and or prove myths such as is there really a G-spot or is it really just the parts of the clitoris near the bladder and vaginal wall on some women filled with blood an
Moonkiszt
Ok. Those who need to, just scoot on to the next review. I know there is a low tolerance for TMI. See you later.

I love Mary Roach as an author, and this author, Jen Gunter, reminds me quite a bit of Ms. Roach. There is not as much humor as Gulp, or Stiff or Bonk, but there is the same steady, down to earth doctor talk that is believable and myth-busting.

Jen Gunter is no-nonsense and as a doctor is just like you want her to be. Besides all the plain facts, she takes into account life as it is liv
Leigh Kramer
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
I’m going to make a bold claim: if you are a person with a vagina, you need this book. Whether you read it front to back or use it as a resource tool, it is one of the most important books I’ve read for my own health and well-being and I commend it to everyone. I’m a relatively informed cis-het woman and I still learned so much in this book.

Dr. Jen Gunter writes in an accessible, engaging style. Her astute insights and observations are interspersed with humor and wit. Her goal is to empower and
Tanya
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd never heard of Dr. Jen Gunter before, but since reading this book, I found out that she's got quite an online reputation and following (as well as her own column in the NYT), and is a crusader against Gwyneth Paltrow's "health venture" Goop, who, among many other ethically questionable products (at best ineffective, at worst potentially harmful), promotes sticking a $60+ jade egg up your vagina for "spiritual detox"... I can get behind anyone loudly advocating against that.

Dr. Gunter has a v
Maya
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, I'm so glad I chose to read this book. It's phenomenal. It's a book where knowledge meets humor. So you can only imagine that this is a fun read that at the same time gives you much needed information about a woman's body, mostly about the vagina as well as the vulva. I really enjoyed reading about the different functions each part has and also about the numerous trends. Some were really crazy and I for sure would not try them out
Brittany
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5

I'm struggling with what to rate this book - I think I'm somewhere between a 3 and a 4.

In Dr. Gunter's introduction, she says to use it as either a reference or read it straight-through. I chose to do both: I read 100 pages straight, and then I looked up topics I was particularly curious about.

There is a lot to love about Dr. Gunter's book. I found her book extremely readable - she writes like your friend-doctor with whom you're getting a cup of coffee. Who knew reading about reproductive
Isil Arican
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Jen Gunter's work, admire her contribution to science based medicine and support her fight against misinformation around women's healthcare. I have been following her for some time on twitter and in various blogs, and when I hear she was writing this book I was thrilled. Women's health is ignored and dismissed on so many levels, it is hard to find reliable and more importantly digestable information without the myths and misogyny surrounding it.

This is a book every vagina owner ( natural
Emmkay
Admirably and exhaustively educational - nothing like settling into a chapter on ‘pubic lice’ for your bedtime reading. Gunter’s educational campaign extends to other topics that my middle-aged brain was only vaguely aware of and had no need to be dissuaded from, ranging from crocheted tampons found on Etsy to having one’s own plasma injected into one’s clitoris. Not things that were included in the 70s copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves in my home when I was growing up. Still contains line drawings, ...more
Ariel ✨
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-care
Dr. Jennifer Gunter crams a lot of valuable, dense information in this little tome. At times it became a little too dense as if she forgot she wasn't writing a textbook for medical students. I'm glad this book exists, but a few sections gave me pause. I started to feel almost defensive of natural menstrual sanitation tools and techniques that I don't even use because of the way she dismissed them so flippantly, but she does dig deep into shaving vs. waxing, the microtraumas these grooming practi ...more
Raine McLeod
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected. It’s very good for reference and there’s honestly a lot more going on down there than I thought. Only gets 4 stars because she spends a huge chunk of the book talking about men (transwomen) who neither have a vagina (an inverted penis is not a vagina) nor will ever need a gynaecologist (because they do not and will never have a vagina). It pisses me off that we can’t even have a book called THE VAGINA BIBLE without having to pander to fucking men’s delusions.
Alexis
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This is more a book that you read in fits and starts, rather than cover to cover. I read it cover to cover. And I learned a lot! I also got mad by how much misinformation and old wives' tales there are out there, and by how the female body has really been exploited by patriarchy.

I also learned that some women dry their vulvas with hair dryers. NOOOOOO! I screamed.

I also realized that I should probably boil my tweezers, or at the very least, clean them more often.

I like Jen Gunter's personable,
Meghan Doidge
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
REQUIRED READING FOR EVERY WOMAN!! I really need to blog about it. I learned numerous things within the first few pages (I'm almost embarrassed to admit my ignorance!)(and I should re-read). Very accessibly written. I desperately need the author's book on perimenopause NOW!
Ericka Clouther
This is a reference book, not an interesting nonfiction book after the first third or so. It's a good reference book but I'm a little annoyed I read the whole thing.
Nicole Wagner
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!

I'm 33, a mom, college educated, professional, and a mostly Internet savvy feminist. And I learned SO MUCH from this book! I have to recommend it to anyone and everyone who has a vagina.

I mean it. Everyone who has a vagina, including trans women and nonbinary folks. This book is written with diversity in mind and addresses numerous issues specific to these groups. In fact, once I got done reading I donated my copy to my local center for youth between the ages of 14 and 24 who are experienc
Lubinka Dimitrova
The Vagina Bible is written with much love for the woman, and it shows. Dr. Gunter has a refreshingly no-nonsense approach to the topics she examines, and does not shy away from scolding both men and women for some outrageous ideas that people believe and perpetuate, sometimes unwillingly, due to lack of knowledge, sometimes consciously, for a variety of reasons.

In any case, the book is heavy on practical, detailed information for a ton of symptoms, ailments, treatments and general advice (which
Cynthia
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Dr. Jen Gunter, author and OB-GYN professional, created a guide detailing the intricacies of the female anatomy. She also devotes countless paragraphs addressing and dispelling myths associated with this subject, and there are plenty of those.

This isn’t the type of book one reads from cover to cover. It’s more like an encyclopedia of data and facts sprinkled with the author’s personal experiences and in some instances opinions. A good go to source especially for women. While I didn’t agree with
Toni
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly, my husband heard about this book first, then told me. I promptly put it on hold at our library and was delightfully, intrigued and informed. The no-nonsense author and doctor, writes a pithy organized book that every women should read. Favorite chapter at the end: “Journal of Old Wives’ Tales.” Recommend.
Ashley
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alexandra Chubachi
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read the first half and scanned the second half (conditions, symptoms, etc). I agree with another reviewer who mentioned that the second half felt particularly America-centric. Enjoyed that she wrote it with humor, addressed lots of social conditioning and myths, and will definitely come back to it for different needs in the future.

One area I felt went unaddressed was how the vulva/vagina changes during puberty. As a mom of girls I thought this would be a great book to have around for them when
Megan Glemza
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Five AMAZING vulva/vagina stars! To all of my fellow vulvas and vaginas, this is a must read. For those that love a vulva/vagina in their lives, you should read it to.
Finally, for those who are just simply uncomfortable with the words vulva/vagina, you are better off reading this sooner than later.

The author and prominent OBGYN is the perfect mix of feminist and healthcare provider. I now enjoy following her on social media.
Keely Langford
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Written as though we’re at hers, having a book club, and we had some questions. We aren’t idiots, we aren’t doctors, we are people, and frankly, there’s some stuff we should know. She’s not: “I know everything” but: “Here’s what I know so far and why I’ve made this decision. Do with that what you will.”
Colleen Earle
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is a great book to read if you have a vagina, have had a vagina, want to have a vagina, or love someone with a vagina.
A good mix of facts and humour.
Dr. Gunter doesn’t shy away from telling you when a potential treatment is bs and isn’t actually supported by any studies or data.
Definitely a book that I’m going to be keeping around to reference.
Kee Zee
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ll be handing this one out like candy at Halloween!
Kent Winward
Jun 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Can I say it was a little dry? But hey, it is important to read about the God you worship.

• The Breakfast Club for 40-Somethings: A Novel Approach to Unlearning Money and Reinventing Your Life
  • Moon: Past, Present and Future
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • Founded After Forty: How to start a business when you haven't got time to waste
  • The Skin We're In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power
  • Objections: The Ultimate Guide for Mastering The Art and Science of Getting Past No
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Let's Make Ramen!: A Comic Book Cookbook
  • Hello I Want to Die Please Fix Me: Depression in the First Person

News & Interviews

“We don’t shake hands, eat, or cut raw chicken with our vulvas.” 1 likes
“Vaginal cleaning will damage the good bacteria and mucus, increasing a woman’s chance of odor, bacterial vaginosis, and sexually transmitted infections.” 1 likes