Start by marking “The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina—Separating the Myth from the Medicine” as Want to Read:

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  6,394 ratings  ·  1,107 reviews
OB/GYN, writer for The New York Times, USA Today, and Self, and host of the show Jensplaining, Dr. Jen Gunter now delivers the definitive book on vaginal health, answering the questions you've always had but were afraid to ask--or couldn't find the right answers to. She has been called Twitter's resident gynecologist, the Internet's OB/GYN, and one of the fiercest advocate ...more
Published August 27th 2019 by Citadel Press

To ask other readers questions about The Vagina Bible, please sign up.
HeatherIlene Click on "browse" at the top of the page, then "giveaways," and then click on "giveaways you've entered." Next, click on the drop down menu that says …moreClick on "browse" at the top of the page, then "giveaways," and then click on "giveaways you've entered." Next, click on the drop down menu that says "sort by" and click "won." There should be an option for you that says you never received it. If not, click on the link that says "giveaway details" under the book that you won, and contact the person/publisher that listed the giveaway (this will be listed on the page that shows up after you click on "giveaway details"). That page should also say when the book you won shipped.(less)

·  6,394 ratings  ·  1,107 reviews

Start your review of The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina—Separating the Myth from the Medicine
emma
gotta read the owner's manual.

in all seriousness, it is probably important to, like, "know about your own body," or whatever, and this is a pretty accessible / entertaining / informative way to do that.

all good things from me.

bottom line: learning is fun!
MonumentToDecency
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is best to avoid blowing air into the vagina
I'm just going to leave that there, completely out of context, and let you deal with figuring it out all on your own.

It grinds my gears to no end hearing that rubbish that menstruation is something women should be proud of; a reminder of our femininity; a reminder of our beautiful womanhood; a reminder of our fragility, or of our ability to create life, yadda yadda. Shut the heck up.

For many women, periods are painful, and unnecessary 90% of the
NAT.orious reads ☾
5 ★★★★★ for Jen's vagenda
The patriarchy and snake oil have had a good run, but I'm done with how they negatively affect and weaponize women's health. So I am not going to stop swinging my bat until everyone has the tools to be an empowered patient and those who seek to subjugate women by keeping them from facts about their bodies have shut up and taken a seat in the back of class.
That's my vagenda.

This book is for you if…you carry a vagina and vulva or don't carry one but want to educate
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
UPDATE: ON SALE TODAY (12/23/21) for $1.99 YAYYYYY GET YOUR VAG ON

I follow this author on Twitter and she's really funny and amazing, and I love how she sticks it to male trolls and idiots perpetuating medical falsehoods.

Sex ed. is really not what it should be in the United States, and I think a lot of people leave school just as confused as before (if not more so).
Jenna is buying a house and mostly too busy for GR ❤ ❀  ❤
I hadn't planned to read this book until I read my GR friend MonumentToDecency's review of it.  As I cannot possibly write a better and more entertaining endorsement for this book, I urge you to hop over to her review and read it for yourself.  Prepare to laugh and learn!

Click here to be taken to this most informative and hilarious review.

You too will want to read the book!  And if you have a vagina, you should!
Claudia
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, medicine
If you have a vagina, you should read this book; if you don’t but love one (or more), you should read parts of it, as well.

If you do have knowledge about it – and you definitely should – this will not be a groundbreaking reading, but you’ll still learn some interesting facts from it.

Not to mention the writing style, which is compelling as hell; if all non-fiction books & science (generally speaking) would be written like this, I don’t think I’ll stop reading them. And if she really is in real li
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Everything you wanted to know about the vagina but were afraid to ask, or didn’t know who to ask, or couldn’t find anyone to ask

Jennifer Gunter covers the vagina basics such as where everything is located and what everything is for, including what makes up the Vulva, and the parts and anatomy of the clitoris. She goes on to debunk and or prove myths such as is there really a G-spot or is it really just the parts of the clitoris near the bladder and vaginal wall on some women filled with blood an
Moonkiszt
Ok. Those who need to, just scoot on to the next review. I know there is a low tolerance for TMI. See you later.

I love Mary Roach as an author, and this author, Jen Gunter, reminds me quite a bit of Ms. Roach. There is not as much humor as Gulp, or Stiff or Bonk, but there is the same steady, down to earth doctor talk that is believable and myth-busting.

Jen Gunter is no-nonsense and as a doctor is just like you want her to be. Besides all the plain facts, she takes into account life as it is liv
Elizabeth Bedlam
Aug 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you only read one bible this year this is it.
Leigh Kramer
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction
I’m going to make a bold claim: if you are a person with a vagina, you need this book. Whether you read it front to back or use it as a resource tool, it is one of the most important books I’ve read for my own health and well-being and I commend it to everyone. I’m a relatively informed cis-het woman and I still learned so much in this book.

Dr. Jen Gunter writes in an accessible, engaging style. Her astute insights and observations are interspersed with humor and wit. Her goal is to empower and
Brittany
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews, non-fiction
3.5/5

I'm struggling with what to rate this book - I think I'm somewhere between a 3 and a 4.

In Dr. Gunter's introduction, she says to use it as either a reference or read it straight-through. I chose to do both: I read 100 pages straight, and then I looked up topics I was particularly curious about.

There is a lot to love about Dr. Gunter's book. I found her book extremely readable - she writes like your friend-doctor with whom you're getting a cup of coffee. Who knew reading about reproductive
Tanya
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advance-copy
I'd never heard of Dr. Jen Gunter before, but since reading this book, I found out that she's got quite an online reputation and following (as well as her own column in the NYT), and is a crusader against Gwyneth Paltrow's "health venture" Goop, who, among many other ethically questionable products (at best ineffective, at worst potentially harmful), promotes sticking a $60+ jade egg up your vagina for "spiritual detox"... I can get behind anyone loudly advocating against that.

Dr. Gunter has a v
Isil Arican
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Jen Gunter's work, admire her contribution to science based medicine and support her fight against misinformation around women's healthcare. I have been following her for some time on twitter and in various blogs, and when I hear she was writing this book I was thrilled. Women's health is ignored and dismissed on so many levels, it is hard to find reliable and more importantly digestable information without the myths and misogyny surrounding it.

This is a book every vagina owner ( natural
Maya
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, I'm so glad I chose to read this book. It's phenomenal. It's a book where knowledge meets humor. So you can only imagine that this is a fun read that at the same time gives you much needed information about a woman's body, mostly about the vagina as well as the vulva. I really enjoyed reading about the different functions each part has and also about the numerous trends. Some were really crazy and I for sure would not try them out
Jennie
4,5 αστέρια

Ένα αξιόλογο βιβλίο, από μια έμπειρη και καταξιωμένη γυναικολόγο, που καλό είναι να υπάρχει σε κάθε βιβλιοθήκη. Δικαιώνει τον όρο "Βίβλος" γιατί πραγματικά λειτουργεί σαν μια τέτοια.
Ως προς τη μεριά των πληροφοριών είναι ένα ενημερωμένο, επεξηγηματικό και κατατοπιστικό βιβλίο που καταδεικνύει όχι μόνο τα διάφορα γυναικολογικά ζητήματα αλλά και καταρρίπτει μύθους που έχουμε ακούσει γύρω από αυτά.
Ως προς το τεχνικό κομμάτι μου άρεσε ο χωρισμός των ενοτήτων και τα σύντομα κεφάλαια

Becky
Very short review time! This book is incredibly informative and interesting if you're at all interested in vulva and vaginal health and maintenance. This book goes into a lot of anatomical information, medical information (diseases, illnesses, infections, irritations, and issues) that affect people with vulvas and vaginas, and all manner of other various bits of relevant info pertaining to holistic (meaning whole body, not frou frou crystal shit) wellness as it relates to them. Birth control, ho ...more
Kaethe
Mar 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for any person who has ever had a vulva/vagina in either an anatomical or biblical sense, because Dr. Gunter is inclusive, evidence-based, seemingly embarrassment-proof, and utterly unwilling to put up with any patriarchal or consumerist bullshit. She can also be funny. Not only does she tell you what has been proven, but she tells you how strong the research is, or what the limitations are, and what is under researched or just unknowable. This is the ob-gyn everyone wishes th ...more
Emmkay
Admirably and exhaustively educational - nothing like settling into a chapter on ‘pubic lice’ for your bedtime reading. Gunter’s educational campaign extends to other topics that my middle-aged brain was only vaguely aware of and had no need to be dissuaded from, ranging from crocheted tampons found on Etsy to having one’s own plasma injected into one’s clitoris. Not things that were included in the 70s copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves in my home when I was growing up. Still contains line drawings, ...more
Mundy Reimer
Longer review coming shortly but 💯👌 so far! Incredibly comprehensive and informative! I would recommend this to pretty much all of my female friends and any others who want to understand more and/or care for their partner's health as well (go teamwork!)

Goes over: General Physiology (finally decent pictures for once!), Pleasure, Pregnancy & Childbirth, Food & Vaginal Health, Underwear, Lube, Exercises, Skincare & Cleansing with various soaps/cleansers/wipes, Moisturizers, Hair Removal+Grooming, M
Raine McLeod
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not what I expected. It’s very good for reference and there’s honestly a lot more going on down there than I thought. Only gets 4 stars because she spends a huge chunk of the book talking about men (transwomen) who neither have a vagina (an inverted penis is not a vagina) nor will ever need a gynaecologist (because they do not and will never have a vagina). It pisses me off that we can’t even have a book called THE VAGINA BIBLE without having to pander to fucking men’s delusions.
Alexis
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This is more a book that you read in fits and starts, rather than cover to cover. I read it cover to cover. And I learned a lot! I also got mad by how much misinformation and old wives' tales there are out there, and by how the female body has really been exploited by patriarchy.

I also learned that some women dry their vulvas with hair dryers. NOOOOOO! I screamed.

I also realized that I should probably boil my tweezers, or at the very least, clean them more often.

I like Jen Gunter's personable,
Nicole Wagner
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!

I'm 33, a mom, college educated, professional, and a mostly Internet savvy feminist. And I learned SO MUCH from this book! I have to recommend it to anyone and everyone who has a vagina.

I mean it. Everyone who has a vagina, including trans women and nonbinary folks. This book is written with diversity in mind and addresses numerous issues specific to these groups. In fact, once I got done reading I donated my copy to my local center for youth between the ages of 14 and 24 who are experienc
Ariel ✨
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-care
Dr. Jennifer Gunter crams a lot of valuable, dense information in this little tome. At times it became a little too dense as if she forgot she wasn't writing a textbook for medical students. I'm glad this book exists, but a few sections gave me pause. I started to feel almost defensive of natural menstrual sanitation tools and techniques that I don't even use because of the way she dismissed them so flippantly, but she does dig deep into shaving vs. waxing, the microtraumas these grooming practi ...more
Toni
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly, my husband heard about this book first, then told me. I promptly put it on hold at our library and was delightfully, intrigued and informed. The no-nonsense author and doctor, writes a pithy organized book that every women should read. Favorite chapter at the end: “Journal of Old Wives’ Tales.” Recommend.
Meghan Doidge
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
REQUIRED READING FOR EVERY WOMAN!! I really need to blog about it. I learned numerous things within the first few pages (I'm almost embarrassed to admit my ignorance!)(and I should re-read). Very accessibly written. I desperately need the author's book on perimenopause NOW! ...more
Cherisa B
A comprehensive, interesting, sometimes fun and sometimes infuriating read, especially when the arrogance of masculine issues is played out on women’s bodies, all through history and across medical practices.
Mica
Feb 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
“Surgery can create labia, clitoris, and a vagina (vaginoplasty). The glans penis is used to create a clitoris, and both the new clitoris and stimulation of the prostate with vaginal penetration contribute to sexual pleasure. After surgery, approximately 75 percent of trans women report they are sexually active vaginally, and the ability to orgasm ranges from 70 to 84 percent.”

The labia, clitoris, and vagina are parts of female genitalia. In absolutely no way does removing part of the glans peni
Lubinka Dimitrova
The Vagina Bible is written with much love for the woman, and it shows. Dr. Gunter has a refreshingly no-nonsense approach to the topics she examines, and does not shy away from scolding both men and women for some outrageous ideas that people believe and perpetuate, sometimes unwillingly, due to lack of knowledge, sometimes consciously, for a variety of reasons.

In any case, the book is heavy on practical, detailed information for a ton of symptoms, ailments, treatments and general advice (which
Cynthia
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Dr. Jen Gunter, author and OB-GYN professional, created a guide detailing the intricacies of the female anatomy. She also devotes countless paragraphs addressing and dispelling myths associated with this subject, and there are plenty of those.

This isn’t the type of book one reads from cover to cover. It’s more like an encyclopedia of data and facts sprinkled with the author’s personal experiences and in some instances opinions. A good go to source especially for women. While I didn’t agree with
Keely Langford
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Written as though we’re at hers, having a book club, and we had some questions. We aren’t idiots, we aren’t doctors, we are people, and frankly, there’s some stuff we should know. She’s not: “I know everything” but: “Here’s what I know so far and why I’ve made this decision. Do with that what you will.”
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Number 3 15 Feb 28, 2022 09:02AM
Some Like It Hot!: ϻαrch Prime Book~ The Vagina Bible 1 7 Mar 16, 2021 02:14PM

• Mangos and Mistletoe
  • Come as You Are: The Surprising New Science that Will Transform Your Sex Life
  • Objections: The Ultimate Guide for Mastering The Art and Science of Getting Past No
  • Make It Scream, Make It Burn
  • The Life and Afterlife of Harry Houdini
  • Doing Philosophy: From Common Curiosity to Logical Reasoning
  • Goliath: The 100-Year War Between Monopoly Power and Democracy
  • Let's Make Ramen!: A Comic Book Cookbook
  • Obviously: Stories from My Timeline
  • The Second Founding: How the Civil War and Reconstruction Remade the Constitution
  • Ordinary Girls