Jump to ratings and reviews

Stick Figures from Rockport

Tamsin Eliot isn’t half the painter her father was. She tried, but she didn’t inherit his talent. She didn’t inherit his sense of adventure, either, preferring to stay close to home. But after the death of her mother, she does inherit his coat. In its pocket, she finds a riddle - a crayon drawing of a lone stick figure, signed by a child named Ida and tucked in an envelope from Rockport. It doesn’t line up with anything she recalls.

In search of Ida she packs her bags and takes a reluctant trip to Rockport, the source of her happiest childhood memories and inspiration for her father’s most cherished art. But for all her doubts about straying far from home and finding Ida, she hasn’t calculated the cost. Will chasing after family secrets destroy her relationship with her only sister? Will shining light on old truths cast shadows on memories of her beloved father and obscure her view of the past?

STICK FIGURES FROM ROCKPORT is a story of loss and recovery, an ode to the family you come from, the family you choose, and the landscapes that shape who we are. Lane reminds us that we are forever tied to the places we come from and you can go home again, but you may be different for the journey.

267 pages, Paperback

Published January 3, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jennifer M. Lane

10 books31 followers
A Maryland native and Pennsylvanian at heart, Jennifer M. Lane holds a bachelor's degree in philosophy from Barton College and a master's in liberal arts with a focus on museum studies from the University of Delaware, where she wrote her thesis on the material culture of roadside memorials. She once co-hosted a daily automotive blog and served as the president of a large car club.

She is the author of the award-winning novel Of Metal and Earth, of Stick Figures from Rockport, and the Collected Stories of Ramsbolt, including the books Blood and Sand, Penny's Loft, Hope for Us Yet, and A Good Day for Pie.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Dawn Hosmer.
Author 7 books206 followers
February 21, 2020
Stick Figures from Rockport is an eloquently told story about finding truth about our pasts even when its painful. Its about healing and dealing with grief. And, ultimately about moving on.

Lane is a talented storyteller and crafts believable characters along with vivid details of the setting, making the reader feel like they are right there alongside the characters. I am typically a fast reader but found myself wanting to slow down while reading Stick Figures just to savor the lovely storytelling and prose.
93 reviews
June 3, 2019
I have mixed feelings about this book..It was just okay..What caught my eye was the word Rockport..I love Rockport Mass..One of the best places to visit in America...I always wanted to have an art studio there..that never happened, however..

So, I found the book to be depressing, overall, and I didn't warm up to the sisters..I felt like I was struggling to get to the end..The feeling of lovely Rockport came through, somewhat, but not really the Rockport that I know and love..Also, the story needed some editing..Lots of grammar mistakes..They sure spent a lot of time drinking..At times I felt confused about what was happening, but maybe that was because my attention drifted and I really wanted to just finish the book..

212 reviews1 follower
December 3, 2019
This is a very simple yet intiguing story about Tamsin and Margaret Eliot and their family and the search for a girl named Ida. Tamsin grew up adoring her artist father. The sun rose and set with him in her eyes. Margaret on the other hand had a gnawing feeling that something wasn't right with her parents. Tamsin's dad passes away and then her mom passes away and Tamsin inherits her dad's coat. Inside the pocket, Tamsin finds a stick figure drawing from Rockport where she spent her summers and the drawing was signed by a child named Ida. The story centers around Tamsin's trip to Rockport in search of Ida. It is a story of family, love, loss and the search for truth and honesty. I enjoyed the book, and will give it a B+ for book group.
Edythe Newman
39 reviews
March 24, 2020
4.5-5. The main plot line moves slowly, but once I let go of it, I found myself nodding or crying at some of the self-reflection Tamsin acknowledges along the way. The last third was especially highlighted throughout. Over and over again Jennifer Lane found the perfect words to describe very messy emotions. If you can connect with Tamsin on a personal level, you’ll definitely appreciate this book- I appreciated how realistic her thoughts were, for better or worse. Also, a perfectly written description of Rockport. It’s a beautiful town and Lane takes you down its quaint streets, making you feel as though you are there with Tamsin.
Profile Image for L. Storms.
Author 3 books37 followers
March 21, 2019
This was such a lovely tale of sisters and family and finding oneself! Jennifer M Lane writes beautifully, creates believable characters who mimic real life and delves info women’s fiction as though she’s been writing it her whole life. I will definitely be reading more by her. Stick Figures from Rockport was a wonderfully done story.

(Bonus, I know all the Pennsylvania roads and towns where her main character resides. That’s always fun!)
Profile Image for Shelly Campbell.
Author 8 books60 followers
July 29, 2019
Jennifer weaves such rich, vivid detail into her work and Stick Figures does not disappoint. Tasmin is a wonderfully relatable, strong and fantastically flawed character. When she messes up, she’s believable and frank. I loved this quiet but tense read. If you love immersive writing, rich detail and a good character arc, you’ll love it too!
Profile Image for Carrie.
7 reviews1 follower
April 19, 2020
Such a great story!

I loved this! Started ready and couldn’t put it down. The characters came to life, I felt like I was getting to know the sisters , I really like Tamsin. Looking forward to reading more from Jennifer Lane.
27 reviews
August 10, 2022
Afterlife

Lovely story dealing in the realities of life and death! Characters very real and so
Enjoyable!. Try it you will like it

36 reviews
January 30, 2020
A great novel showing that some secrets need to be brought to light in order to have the kind of freedom that makes us a whole and complete person. Tamsin Eliot is fearful of letting go, but, nevertheless, sets out to find the truths of her childhood. I enjoyed this book immensely!!
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.