Start by marking “Don't Fall Off the Mountain” as Want to Read:
Don't Fall Off the Mountain

Don't Fall Off the Mountain

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  772 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"I've always felt that I would never develop into a really fine actress because I cared more  about life beyond the camera than the life in front  of it. Over the years my search became broader and  broader. After two months on a picture my car  seemed to veer toward the airport of its own accord. I  still loved acting and enjoyed it. I was a  professional, but basically I ...more
Published February 1st 1985 by Bantam (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Fall Off the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Fall Off the Mountain

Köksal Kök
amerika, japonya, çin, hindistan ve diğer asya ülkelerinde seyahat. bu seyahat, turistik olmaktan çok, mistik bir yolculuk. içsel bir yolculuk.

blavatsky, Besant, Kerouac, osho, rampha, castenade.

bunlar gibi bilgeler, en değerli şeylerini, hayat tecrübelerini bizimle paylaştılar.
Tristy
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am ashamed to admit that I let all the negative talk about Shirley Maclaine being a "woo-woo" writer influence my choice of whether or not to read her books. But when all her books fell into my lap recently, I decided to give it a whirl. And I'm so glad I did! She is a wonderful writer! She shares her inner journey, without sounding to self-centered, in part because she blends her epiphanies so beautifully with her travels and experiences outside of herself.

It's wonderful to watch her grow an
Davis Aujourd'hui
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful autobiography by a woman who knows how to savor life. It explores her background from the days when she sought to become a professional ballerina, her beginnings in film, her journey into exotic lands that expanded her compassion for her fellow humans, and ultimately led to a spiritual transformation reflected in her later books.

As the author of a spiritually-themed novel, I am always on the outlook for books that provide food for the soul. This one did it for me and it shall
Karen
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another book I read a very long time ago. In my opinion this is Shirley's best book. I think I've read all of her books.
Very very interesting life. Discusses her childhood in Virginia, her loving parents and her brother, Warren Beatty. Moving to Hollywood, making movies. But the most interesting to me is her inner life -- her search for meaning, her quest for what's "beyond" and "unknown," her adventures all over the world, particularly in South American and Asia. Highly recommend.
Karen
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was the first celebrity autobiography I ever read, and I was so fascinated by it. I think I was 10 or 11. I would ride my bike to the little bitty library in town...
Kathryn
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed every one of Shirley Maclaine's books, and this one is no exception. She writes very well. Although I first read this book a long time ago, there is one part of it I've never forgotten, her description of dealing with the subzero cold in the Himalaya mountains. This is the story of some of her travels - to visit the Masai in Africa, and the "dumpster boys" in India, the mystical Himalayan mountains, and more. And I enjoyed the whole story again.
Linda
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I love all of her books, although they get progressively more Twilight Zonish as she ages...(but then so do I, so...)Ha!
Kristina
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I first read this book not long after it's first published date in 1970, so I'm thinking I read it around 1973 while in high school. I loved her in "What A Way To Go" and "Sweet Charity" and I think I may have had to write a report on a memoir. This book time line is her childhood in Virginia with her brother Warren, her debut on Broadway, her first Hollywood picture, her first marriage and the birth of her one and only child. She focuses on the many journeys she took between working and her own ...more
Victoria
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read Shirley's book before but wanted to go back and reread this. From her travels in South Africa to the mountains of Bhutan, this is a really good travel/mystical book.

Shirley starts with her life growing up in Virgina, moving to NY and a small cramped apartment to pursue her passion for dancing. She's a real life "42nd Street" story. As the understudy who thinks she'll never be lead, fate happens and she finds herself front and center in a hit Broadway play. Her career takes off. After b
Rick Ludwig
I approached reading this book with some trepidation given the press surrounding some of Shirley MacLaine's later books, but I truly enjoyed reading this. Her style is completely honest and engaging and displays the incredible thirst for knowledge of the writer. I have always enjoyed and respected the talent of the actress Shirley MacLaine and this book made me appreciate the person behind the roles. I will read more of her work, even if I am generally a skeptic when it comes to past lives and s ...more
Helen
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book, written entirely (every word) by Shirley herself, is a true tale of her beginning in acting and her first steps into the world to "find herself," not ever and easy thing to do. She didn't choose easy places, Calcutta, living with the Masai in Kenya and a rare visit to Bhutan, where she was caught in a coup. MacLaine is a fine actress and one who definitely marches to her own inner drum.
Sunni
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir-biography
I read this (and You Can Get There from Here) in college and it was life changing then. I don't know how it reads now. It was unheard of for women to travel alone, live alone, not be the custodial parent, be sexually open, and all the things she was doing. The most we had was the single women of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. So she was a role model and free thinker.
Rosalinda Morgan
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I truly enjoyed reading this book. It traces her life from when she started taking ballet lessons to getting a break on Broadway to her life as a successful actress in Hollywood and then her travels and adventures. An amazing journey like no other among Hollywood celebrities. I recommend it highly.
Lisa
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Ms MacLaine's first novel printed in 1970. A very good read. She has always been a good storyteller. I guess I assumed she had gotten better throughout all her books. Her seeking nature evident and foreshadows her growth explosion in the future.
Jevelyn
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Maclaine writes to the reader, telling you things you want to know about her, and her soulful experiences without you having to ask. Her way of describing her journey gives the reader a chance to begin looking at their own life for meaning and growth.
Dottie
Oct 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Ditto.
Ronda
Jul 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Hey Lin...remember when we read this one many moons ago? I recall really enjoying it and was just telling FJA about Sachie. Holy Cow!
Bindee
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
good read esp firsy half. very brave and possibly controversial for the time
Alexi
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago, and had forgotten how wonderful it was. She is fascinating and I adore her!!!
Judy
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An adventurer and traveller, not a tourist. Spot on about the film industry. I enjoyed this book alot.
Marleen
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've always been a big admirer of Shirley Maclaine and her biography didn't let me down. Enjoyed reading this book and learning more about this fascinating woman and actress.
F.J. Commelin
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritualitly
Shirley Maclaine makes her spiritual travels real fun to read.
Archana Bora
  • Stormy Weather: The Life of Lena Horne
  • The Man Who Saw a Ghost: The Life and Work of Henry Fonda
  • By Myself
  • Bring on the Empty Horses
Shirley MacLaine is an Academy Award-winning American film and theatre actress, well-known not only for her acting, but for her devotion to her belief in reincarnation. She is also the writer of a large number of autobiographical works, many dealing with her new age beliefs, such as solipsism, as well as her Hollywood career. She is the older sister of Warren Beatty.