Start by marking “Red House, Tree House, Little Bitty Brown Mouse” as Want to Read:
Red House, Tree House, Little Bitty Brown Mouse

Red House, Tree House, Little Bitty Brown Mouse

A bit Each Peach Pear Plum, a bit Go, Dog, Go!, this read-aloud joy is deceptively simple yet packed with delights for the very young--a preschool standout deserving of modern-classic status.

A little mouse makes her way around the world, and invites preschoolers along as she sets out: Red house / Blue house / Green house / Tree house! / See the tiny mouse in her little bro
Published August 27th 2019 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Red House, Tree House, Little Bitty Brown Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red House, Tree House, Little Bitty Brown Mouse

Start your review of Red House, Tree House, Little Bitty Brown Mouse
Ms. B
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, picture
Future board book? Older siblings who are beginning to read will love sharing this with younger siblings.
Destinee Sutton
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think this can be read at least two ways:

1. As a read-aloud for a group of kids, I'd emphasize colors, counting, and answering the simple questions ("Shoes go on your feet. What goes on your head?"). The text is simple and the illustrations are clear and bright. This could be a great story time selection!

2. For an individual preschooler, this is an easy seek-and-find to pore over. The little bitty mouse is on every page and they can match the endpaper patches to the illustrations. Also, ther
Joella
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, colors, mice
You guys! This is a fun color-concept book! I really can't wait until we use it in story time so I can see how the kiddos respond. It isn't one of the boring books that has a list of colors and pictures of items in that color. It is actually a story that has a lot of colors listed. Beautiful book! Seriously!
Dani
I NEED this for storytime
Beverly
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Inventive and endlessly fascinating, especially for young children.
Meredith
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This interactive picture book invites young readers to search for different things within the illustrations.
Tasha
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Told in simple rhymes, this book invites the youngest children to explore its pages and engage with the questions asked inside. The book begins with houses, including a little tree house for the tiny mouse. Colors are explored and then there is counting on the next page combined with more colors. The book takes readers on a bus, into the ocean, on all sorts of transportation, and asks engaging questions of the reader along the way. The book ends by inviting readers to look for the mouse hiding i ...more
Katy
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A tiny brown mouse leads young readers through this cheerful work by Godwin and illustrated by Blanca Gomez. Catchy rhyming text whisks the reader through a variety of ordinary and not-so-ordinary scenes, brightly executed in both close-up detail and in spreads taking a birds-eye view. In the colorful world of the story, pigs and cats ride trains next to humans of every hue, and ice cream cones are almost as big and round as a little girl's smiling face. Gomez plays with color, shape, and perspe ...more
Abby Johnson
Bouncy rhyming text and brilliantly colorful illustrations accompany a little bitty mouse as she travels around the world to many different places. The text and illustrations are super whimsical, there's not a lot of plot or continuity, but it's fun text to read and kids will get a huge kick out of finding the tiny mouse on every page.

I have cherished memories of reading Richard Scarry books with my family and looking for Lowly Worm and Goldbug before bedtime. This book is adorable fun and sure
Nicole
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This may be my new favorite! I love the rhyming and I know a lot of my storytime kids will love that part as well!! This is a great book for a group or a one on one read because during the story the children can point to objects in the photo. For example, little brown mouse is in every photo, but you have to look closely! I also like that the book asks readers questions throughout, which helps them stay engaged as well. The illustrations are extremely vibrant yet clean and welcoming! I can't wai ...more
Pita-eater
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one is getting 5 stars for the clever illustrations. Simple rhyming text is accompanied by colorful illustrations of a little traveling mouse. The mouse collects items from each trip and the reader sees them all arranged in her tree house at the end. Badges on the endpapers also have small clues to each of the scenes. Young readers will enjoy finding the little bitty brown mouse and her suitcase on every page and then going back through the book to find which scenes she has collected items ...more
Becky
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely recommended. A good rhythm, some questions that allow interaction but not too much so that you ruin the flow, cute illustrations, and a little mouse to keep an eye out for on every page. Might be tricky for storytime depending on the size of your crowd and how much they like to shove their faces into the illustrations, but I think it would work out.
Jana
With bouncy, rhyming text and boldly colored illustrations, this primary concept book will definitely become a favorite of young readers. Young readers are invited to count, pick favorite colors, and look for the little brown mouse on every page. This is a fun one to share with little children as a read aloud.
Yentl ♥
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such a cute book :D Little Mouse goes on many adventures and does a little bit of everything. By the end of the book, Little Mouse has many souvenirs and pictures of all her travels to decorate her house. There are vibrant colors and great illustrations throughout. Finding her on each page is super fun.
Aolund
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect for reading aloud, with lots of invitations for listeners to participate in counting, naming colors, etc. An episodic book full of scenes from everyday life, as well as more imaginative pictures of the deep sea, all tied together with a row of houses and the eponymous mouse's tree house.

Themes: Home, Colors, Big and Small
Age Range: 2-5

Rebecca Ann
Wow, this was a really unique book. I love how it encourages kids to rhyme long and finish the sentence but also lends itself easily to dialogic reading by asking questions of the reader. The illustrations are absolutely harming. I can't wait to try this out for a summer family storytime with a multitude of ages.
Kelsey
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Age: Toddler-Preschool
Concepts: Colors, counting, sizes and differences

A fun recap for a preschooler about all the concepts that they have been learning. Although there is no actual story told through the words, the rhyming text, questions for the listener, and spotting a mouse throughout were excellent ways to keep my preschooler engaged. Simple and effective.
Layna Pasiuk
This was a very cute children book that helped learn colors. There were very few words on each page and the picture were quite simple, but it serves its purpose for young readers, and after they read a page they are able to point out the colors in the pictures just like the pages are asking for. There was also some rhyming throughout the book that made it very appealing to read.
Bookish
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple rhyming book on first read, but packed with little gems to discover on subsequent takes. Kids can find colors, vehicles, animals, numbers, shapes, and one happy little mouse as she explores the city, sea, and sky.
Marcie
There is so much to like about this and so many ways preschool and kindergarten teachers can use it. Reading it aloud is the key but the matching and location activities make it fun for one-on-one as well.
Fantastic and fun read. Great story to initiate questions with kids. Lovely illustrations which feature a diverse population. Might not work with a large storytime crowd, but perfect for reading with a small group. So fun!
Cheryl E
Wonderful fun rhyming book for (toddler or baby) storytime! Great for a storytime on colors but also incorporating animals and actions words for participation. Love. Could also incorporate some of the rhyming with a flannel board.
Monique
Such a magical and fun story. Simple rhyming text explores the world of colours and the adventures of a tiny mouse. The bright illustrations have that timeless appeal children will find engaging. Young listeners and readers will enjoy looking for the mouse with each turn of the page.
Brenda
This vibrant book is more than a sweet rhyming picture book. I highly recommend it for purchase because readers will return to it often. It reviews basic concepts like colors, numbers, and shapes while also encouraging young readers and listeners to search each page for Little Bitty Brown Mouse.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-books
Great introductions to basic concepts for preschoolers.
KDV
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sure to be a classic.
Morgan
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
WHAT A DELIGHT. All my friends with kiddos around 3-5, make this your next lap-book.
kim
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute
Mary
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked this book but I think it was too long for the intended audience.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Just Because
  • Hey, Water!
  • Truman
  • Another
  • Goodbye, Friend! Hello, Friend!
  • Small in the City
  • A Stone Sat Still
Jane Godwin is the Publisher, Books for Children and Young Adults, at Penguin Books Australia. She is also a highly acclaimed author of many books for children. Her work is published internationally and she has received many commendations. The Family Tree won the 2000 Queensland Premier's Award (Children's Books); Sebby, Stee, the Garbos and Me was shortlisted for the 1999 New South Wales State Li ...more