Start by marking “Putting on the Mind of Christ: The Inner Work of Christian Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Putting on the Mind of Christ: The Inner Work of Christian Spirituality

Putting on the Mind of Christ: The Inner Work of Christian Spirituality

What does it mean to follow the path of Christ today? "Putting on the Mind of Christ" is the first book to offer an integral understanding of the Christian spiritual path--one that examines the basic stages of spiritual development described by the great saints and sages, along with the psychological stages of development used by modern psychology.

American mystic Jim Mario
Published November 1st 2011 by Hampton Roads Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Putting on the Mind of Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Putting on the Mind of Christ

Anita
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The author presents a systematic walk through nine phases or levels of consciousness awareness. As he says, level 9 is non-dual and is not really a level at all. Marion uses examples from the saints and from his own experience with quotes from the Christian Bible as well, to demonstrate what he is talking about. Much of my own experience is in harmony with what he says about the first 7 levels except for the part about the pain involved in the Night of the Senses and Night of the Soul, using the ...more
Richard Lewis
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I keep searching to find the true me. I am not my body. My body helps me accomplish many tasks. I am not my mind. My mind helps me plan my actions. I am not my thoughts and emotions. They help me express myself to this world.

Who am I? I am a divine being who is allowing God to express Himself (Herself) through me. God is within me. God is within all of us. Some of us know this. Some of us do not. Some ignore it. Some deny it.

James Marion reminds us, “All we need to do to be saved is to conscious
Rachelle
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to get through this book, as I really had to chew on certain concepts before reading on. If you are yearning for a deeper understanding of God and the spiritual path, if you find the current religious structures and biblical teachings to be rigid and dogmatic, if you feel there is more out there than the Catholics or the Protestants have taught so far, this book will help you.

Keep an open mind to less-traditional views of the Christian faith, the spiritual path and of humanit
Robert Mackie
The first half gets 4 stars, the second half gets minus 1 star, for a grand total of 3.
Claudia
Jun 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When a mystic uses scientific ideas as metaphors for their soul's journey, fine. When they try to explain those journeys through science, look out. When someone says "vibrations" or "fourth dimension" or "quantum" in that context, what comes next is likely to be nonsense.

His descriptions of psychological phases seem to be right on the money. But then: This was supposed to be a good, clear summary of the mystical pathway. Instead, it is a complicated system of new age esotericism seasoned with o
Kitsy Stratton
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Why is this book not required reading for all Christians...or at least all Christian clergy ? I was needing a map showing YOU ARE HERE on the wisdom / spiritual growth path and Marion provides the map. I read all about where I have been, where I am now, why my efforts to help others with their beliefs and faith are not working, and answers to theological and doctrinal questions I have had since ...well, since I had to study the Presbyterian Catechism as a kid.

It's readable in everyday language
Jeremy Fyke
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly amazing and inspiring work. Marion does a masterful job mapping out the entire path to the Kingdom of Heaven, which is the highest level of human consciousness. Marion integrates excerpts from the great spiritual thinkers and writers throughout history. This book inspires us to continue our spiritual journey toward the Christ Consciousness. In so doing, we can experience and understand the world as pure Spirit, through the love that is possible when we put on the mind of Chris ...more
Matt
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: seekers
That there is full on spiritual path from Baby to Christhood that can be seen and walked in this life and that this is what Jesus was talking about and trying to get folks to take up. This book describes each stage of human development according to the Christian tradition. It has never been done before.
Jane Mason
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book will guide you on a tour of your own soul. A must. This author is brilliant. Thank you Jim
Ron
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very good exploration of what Christianity/Christian Spirituality looks and feels like if the religious seeker actually tries to live a life "in Christ". Marion is not in an ivory tower. He takes spirituality where we all find it: in our physical selves from the time we are born. He shares his own journey/struggles. He makes good use of developmental psychology, both personal and communal, and then moves into areas most of us have not experienced deeply if at all. He also references ot ...more
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is a work of genius. Marion puts the world's mysticism together under a Christian framework while upholding each religion's integrity. He gave me a deeper understanding of my own experience on the spiritual path, a sense of where I am and where I have yet to go. He also had me, not only contemplating, but considering elements of spiritual beliefs that I have always found suspect. Bravo, Jim. This is a work for the ages.
F.C. Etier
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
I found this book difficult to read, yet it helped awaken my thinking.
Amy
May 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
some stuff I just loved- made copies of several pages (since I got it at the library) so I can review them and remember. alot of stuff i didn't get or relate to.
Susan Janke
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. I feel like a whole new understanding opened up inside me.
Jeff
Nov 27, 2018
Paul
Jun 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Putting on the Mind of Christ 1 2 Mar 21, 2012 06:00PM

• The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind
  • Centering Prayer: Renewing an Ancient Christian Prayer Form
  • Big Mind Big Heart: Finding Your Way
  • The New Man
  • The Puppet and the Dwarf: The Perverse Core of Christianity
“Why has the Kingdom of Heaven within ourselves that Jesus preached been so sorely neglected and even ignored? It has happened for one simple and obvious reason: the vast majority of our Christian elders, ministers, priests, bishops, popes, and other teachers, just like the religious leaders of Jesus' time, have themselves not yet grown enough spiritually to “see” the Kingdom Jesus saw.” 1 likes
“In other words, none of us are perfect, spiritual teachers included We are all here in this Earth school to grow and learn in a host of different ways, and only now are we humans beginning to understand how difficult that can be in an increasingly global pluralistic world full of people whose cultures, beliefs, worldviews, and levels of consciousness are very different from our own.” 1 likes