Start by marking “Syrian Brides” as Want to Read:
Syrian Brides

Syrian Brides

This delightful collection of short stories offers insight into the lives of Syrian women, both the married and the brides-to-be. It reveals the warmth and humor as well as the oppression in the Syrian society. The stories make the reader laugh while addressing serious issues such as domestic violence.
Um Hussam can't find a suitable bride for her son, testing each candidat
Published November 2nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Syrian Brides, please sign up.
Anna Halabi It's available as a paperback, an ebook for Kindle or on Kindle Unlimited.

leslie hamod
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could, I would give this ten stars! Amazing! Wonderful, intriguing, spectacular! This author is one to be followed. She has much more to give. This book was a work of art. Absolutely wonderful. I couldn't sleep tonight, and decided to read. Oh! I could not stop! You must read this incredible New author! I recommend this book A MUST READ!
Betty
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SYRIAN BRIDES was a delightful peek into the lives of Syrian women revealing the good, the bad, the sad, the funny, the warmth of a culture unknown to most American women.

The book consists of eleven short essays on varying aspects of the Syrian ladies’ lives.

One of my favorite stories was NOBODY’S BRIDE in which a woman outsmarts two shop keepers in order to acquire jewelry. I found it quite humorous.

I loved THE COUNTERFEIT BRIDE. Men, be careful what you ask for! The man asks for a woman who i
Carolyn
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eleven brilliant short stories which revolve around Syrian culture, customs and religion. Serious themes containing elements of humour reminded me of cautionary folk tales or fables. They draw from the way of life for many Syrians, but like parables, they contain universal truths. The stories emphasized the oppression of women by brutal or callous men. Some family disharmony and beliefs were painful to contemplate but contained sly humour. I liked the stories best where clever women secretly too ...more
Andrea
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019

This was a funny and relatable read. Syrian Brides is a collection of 11 stories that center on Muslim women, mostly brides or those who are already married. In just a few pages, the author manages to make one laugh while at the same time introducing serious topics into her story.

Don’t let the humor or the cheekiness of the characters fool you. There are some serious themes explored here for example that of domestic
Shabana Mukhtar
For more detailed review, please visit my blog theothermeunfolded.wordpress.com/2019...

Review
I love the dedication. I love the Dedication page. It came from heart.
The book is a collection of short stories. I would like to review it by story.
Nobody’s Bride
The first one in the collection - the story is about Aby Islam and Abu Ghousan and a con-woman. I feel that i have read similar con act before. However, the description of the characters, the setting is vivid. I was able to visualize the whole s
Arthur Wenk
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Syrian Brides, Anna Halabi has skillfully mimicked the language of Arabian folk tales to offer a trenchant portrait of the plight of women in Syria. Her description of physical abuse is not for the faint-hearted. “Bana felt her left cheek bone crack as her husband punched her in the face. She started screaming at the top of her lungs, when another blow to her stomach took her breath away. She gasped for air and she tried to crawl away from her attacker on all fours. He grabbed her ankles and ...more
Michael Mardel
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Syrian Brides by Halabi is her debut novel of short stories about life for Syrian brides. I was given a copy to review and this is my honest opinion. I had to forestall the names as they are not common for me but I understood the gist of each one. My favourite would be the last story "The bride's cake". The notary advised the woman seeking a divorce to ask for the ingredients for a cake from her neighbours. What did she discover that made her change her mind?
There are 11 stories in all and in ea
Agnes Metanomski
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, 2019
I received a copy from the author and and am voluntarily leaving a review.

This was a marvellous collection of short stories revolving around marriage in Syria, mainly from the women's point of view. The stories vary widely in tone, depicting different situations and problems women face in married life. I'm amazed how well the author could describe the different problems faced by women in just a few pages, while maintaining a light tone. I really enjoyed reading this book, and would be more than
Alana Bloom
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I would not have guessed this was a debut for author Anna Halabi. I enjoyed the short little snippets and was fascinated by the intricacies of a culture so different from my own. Um Hussam was an outrageous character. I was caught between uproarious laughter and mortification when she suggested she needed to grope a bridal candidate to ensure the girl had all her original parts. I’m still cracking up as I think about it. I’m so very glad my MIL didn’t cope a feel during our first time meeting. M ...more
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Anna Halabi takes you along the everyday lives of Syrian married women. Syrian Brides is a compilation of humorous short stories. Take Jamila who has a clever way to make her husband Hassan forget Munira, his deceased first wife, or Um Hussam who's testing the senses of the candidate brides to find a suitable bride for her son. Mariam is from the Philippines, baptized as a Catholic, but converted to Islam and fled from her family. Chit-chat mixed with religion, longing for freedom, and dealing w ...more
Rebecca
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Syrian Brides” is an entertaining peek into what life is like for women in Syria. Through 11 short stories, the author covers a range of marital problems while also highlighting the warmth and compassion a relationship can bring -it’s 4 stars from me.

My full review is now up on my blog: https://whatrebeccasread.wordpress.co...
Mark Mouse
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's not usually my kind of book but I got it from a work colleague and I'm open to trying new genres every once in a while.
I was surprised that I actually liked it. The short stories are about the lives of women in Syria.
My favorite story was "nobody's bride". I can't write what it's about without spoiling the ending though. So you'll have to read it yourself!
No, seriously. It's a nice collection of short stories. Perfect for an evening at home when there's nothing good on TV.
Gretchen
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Syrian Brides is a collection of short stories about the everyday life of women in Syria.

I really enjoyed "Nobody’s Bride". It was hilarious story about a woman tricking two business men. In fact, each one of the stories has hints of comedy, revealing the culture and social manners of Syrian men and women.

All of these stories are short and many read like they were told at a hairdresser's salon or at a tea party.

I highly recommend it! It's definitely five stars from me!
Anna Halabi
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Syrian Brides is a collection of short stories about the life of married women in Syria. Some stories are really shocking, about the violence and the brave women enduring it. Others were funny and socially critical. The stories address several issues in the Syrian/Arab society such as violence at home, polygamy, the subduing of wives and the disputes with the mother-in-law, the importance of appearances such as fair skin and blue eyes etc.
Rebecca
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Syrian Brides is a collection of short stories all about brides and brides to be from the Syrian culture. Some wives regret their decision to marry their husbands. A wife who tricks her husband by hiding fish in Watermelon and making everyone around him think he is insane. A woman whom pretends she is married to a man who owns a shop across the road from the Bakery and she tricks both owners into believing she is a wife to both shop owners so she can steal jewellery. A wife who cannot tolerate h ...more
Jean Lewis
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this collection of stories. Great character development, great settings. Each one giving a little more insight. I particularly liked that the women were strong and showed their strength in anyway they could in a society where they don't always get the best deal.
Liz Ramsay
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of stories. Funny and heartwarming whilst also making thoughtful comments and tackling the many issues that affect the lives of Syrian women. Dealing with oppression in (at times) a light hearted way could have been difficult to take, but Anna Halabi did it perfectly.
Emerson Gaff
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't usually bond with the characters in short stories as well as I do in a novel. But this book develops characters really quickly which I liked. I also liked how 'everyday' a lot of the stories are, but at the same time, each one is special.
Sarah G
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good stories, although I did find them a bit disjointed at times. Altogether enjoyable.
Read Local
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really interesting look into a life I know little about. Anna Halabi does a great job at making a world foreign to readers like me understandable and relatable.
Tanasia Bryant
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book was a delight to read. After getting accustomed to the language and the way every one talks, I couldn't help but enjoy it. Looking into the life of people in another country was definitely a wake up call. You can easily see that some of their problems are problems like ours, but on a whole other level. All in all, you can see they are people that feels the same as everyone else.

So many emotions were torn from me. I felt like I was there feeling everything the characters were feeling. I
Grace J Reviewerlady
What a fabulous collection of stories! Love, love, LOVE!!

This book contains several stories about Syrian culture; the common thread is marriage .. either pre-marriage, happy marriage or not-so-happy unions. It is a wonderful insight into a culture which, up until now, I knew nothing about.

Each one of these tales is marvellously entertaining. Gorgeous writing from a really talented author who draws you in to each story so easily. Every story is different, and so cleverly composed. The characters
Sapna Mathew
Jan 15, 2019
Hebasreads
Feb 17, 2019
Anna Halabi
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Anna Halabi was born and raised in Aleppo, Syria. She emigrated to Europe in 1999 for her university studies. She currently lives with her family in Germany.
Syrian Brides is her debut as an author. The stories and characters in this collection were inspired by her personal experiences as well as her relatives, friends and TV shows.