Start by marking “Ruby Heart (Cry Havoc, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ruby Heart (Cry Havoc, #1)

Ruby Heart

(Cry Havoc #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  32 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Paranormal Victorian steampunk fantasy, with Gothic horror and romance.

A book of manners, magic and mayhem.

After her father is murdered, budding scientist Jemima Hardcastle is packed off to boarding school by her guardian and heir to Willow Park, Edward Huntington. When they finally meet again at a house party, four years later, Edward doesn't recognise his ward and the
Published December 22nd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Ruby Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby Heart

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Ruby Heart (Cry Havoc, #1)
Tansy Roberts
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel pulls together many my favourite tropes. There's gruesome Gothic melodrama, plus Victorian comedy of manners... a disapproving aunt, a Satanic villain with vampiric tastes, a science-minded headstrong heroine with a Classical education, and a hero to be rescued. A fun, fast read that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Craig / Phil
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who else likes the thrill and challenge of reading a genre you don’t typically gravitate too?
That thrill is heightened when you thoroughly enjoy it.
Ruby Heart is a Steam Punk love story set in the Victorian era.
The world just awakening to the Industrial revolution with new machinations and inventions.
Add some magic and trade mark steam punk metal traits and some unconventional romance.
Jemima is sent off to boarding school after her father’s murder by her new guardian, Edward.
Offsetting a re
Dion Perry
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Based upon the cover image and the opening chapters this book was nothing like I expected it to be. I was expecting a fun filled story about a cheeky young woman who loved science and inventing things. Instead the book begins as a Victorian quasi-romance but rapidly turns very dark. As it does so, the book becomes part Frankenstein park Dracula with dark magic thrown into the mix.

The pace is varied. At time very slow and at other times much quicker. Once you realise it is a dark fiction you can
Sarah Austin
I read this as part of historical fantasy book of the month. I liked this one but it did have a few problems. Some of the language used felt a little inappropriate as in not something they would say in that time period and also it sometimes felt little nuggets would be dropped and I'd think now where did that come from? But all in all it was entertaining and at some point I'll finish the series. 3.5 stars.
Karen
Happily surprised

Not my normal reading fare, but I enjoyed it immensely. I was pleasantly surprised at the length of this novel. Instead of splitting it up into several tiny books, it's a full length read. Thank goodness! Refreshing in this age of "publish 3 chapters and call it a book". Thank you and please continue in this vein; don't stoop to their level!
Kathy
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Science and magic what more can you ask for!

Loved it from start to finish. The romance, science, The magic all blended nicely to make an exceptional read. You won't be disappointed.
Pauline
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Steampunk perfection

A fantastic read, great characters, Jemima Is sassy and headstrong, Hilly is the perfect balance to Jemima and the dilema of who the male characters really are against the mystery, romance, and vampires is a perfect, winning combination.
Shasha
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I love steampunk but

I love steampunk but this story didn't live up to expectations. Some parts felt off or flat. Add in multiple odious characters and it was a bust despite the interesting plot and sweet side romance.
Brooke
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Super fun!!! I can’t wait to read the next one!!
Kersten
Jinthe
Jul 24, 2020

• Migrations
  • Daddy's Girls
  • Bessie Bell and the Goblin King (Tales of Aylfenhame, #3)
  • He Started It
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Invisible Girl
  • The Royal Baths Murder (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • The Road to Ironbark
  • The Shack by the Bay
  • Royal
  • The Prison of Buried Hopes (After The Rift Book 5)
  • Playing Nice
  • Netherfield: Rogue Dragon: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Jane Austen's Dragons Book 3)
  • The Thirteenth Tower (Tree and Tower, #1)
  • The Forgotten Islands
  • The Great Escape from Woodlands Nursing Home
  • Longbourn: Dragon Entail: A Pride and Prejudice Variation (Jane Austen's Dragons Book 2)
  • Hide and Seek (Great Falls Academy #6)
Donna Maree Hanson is a Canberra-based writer of fantasy, science fiction, horror, and under the pseudonym (Dani Kristoff) paranormal romance.

Her dark fantasy series (which some reviewers have called ‘grim dark’), Dragon Wine, is published by Momentum Books (Pan Macmillan digital imprint). Book 1: Shatterwing and Book 2: Skywatcher are out now in digital and print on demand.

In April 2015, she wa

Cry Havoc (2 books)
  • Emerald Fire (Cry Havoc, #2)

News & Interviews