Start by marking “Silence of Winter (Cromwell Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silence of Winter (Cromwell Chronicles, #1)

Silence of Winter

(Cromwell Chronicles #1)

Normal is overrated. At least that's what Oliver Cromwell tells himself when he's being bullied for being different. He's a lover of all things paranormal, and when his nose isn't shoved into his sketchpad, drawing haunted houses and monsters, he and his best friend Bailey hang out in abandoned buildings and take long—very non-romantic—walks through graveyards looking for ...more
Published December 12th 2018 by Encompass Teen

To ask other readers questions about Silence of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silence of Winter

Start your review of Silence of Winter (Cromwell Chronicles, #1)
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Oliver and his friendly ghost...

I liked some aspects of this book. The whole communicating with the dead and helping them pass over to the other side was cool. Oliver being a warlock and his relationship with Victor were also interesting. I just wish some moments in this book were thought out better.
The way the "blow out" between Oliver and his mom seemed more like an after thought. Like how can we make it ok for Oliver to live with Ethel when his mom is still in the picture. It played out
Brie ♡••
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book was so much better than i expected. I loved the atmosphere and the frienships in it. I also enjoyed reading about the delightful foods mentioned evey few pages. Its perfect for October and really got me in the mood. This book also had a beautiful heartbreaking romance that felt timeless. Cant wait for the second volume! Highly recommend if you love ghosts, baked goods and devilishly beautiful sad boys in cemeteries.
Claudia
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books, ya-book, ghost
ohhh Wow... This book left me speechless...

I can't say enough how much in love I am of Victor and Ollie... these two brave and hurting young guys have seen and going thru more than they deserve...

This awesome book by Avery Blake will make you fall head over hills by these two young boys with old souls...

Victor was lost until he met Oliver...

Oliver was totally thrilled by the mysterious boy he met one night... he couldn't take Victor out of his head... so when he saw the cute blonde guy again,
Eugenia
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, paranormal, on-ku, ya
Paranormal, spooky, and mysterious!! So much to love in this couple

This YA ghostly mystery stayed on the sweet side of spooky with an unlikely love story and connection. Refreshing!!

The one thing that TRULY BOTHERED ME and I thought completely UNLIKELY was the harsh treatment and dismissal our MC received from his mother. She was a hastily drawn character with zero depth. The fact that she was a main catalyst for events in this book made me twist up inside and want to yell at the author for
Jenny Tran-Le
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
''He smelled like the grass after rain, and I breathed him in, feeling myself falling more under his spell. He smelled like home. He felt like it too.''

4.5 This book isn’t perfect but I was completely charmed by it. I’m really intrigued by the entire premise and I’m just really a sucker for queer paranormal stories. Magic and witchcraft, prophecy and shared destiny, ghostly mystery, angst, sweet romance, genuine friendship, this book has lots of elements that I love. But what I love the best are
abi
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
hello, yes, i need shadow of night right now immediately please.

this isn’t a perfect book but it’s absolutely fascinating and i couldn’t put it down. i’m so intrigued by the entire premise.

content warnings: suicide references, death references, violence

***

me when victor is introduced: this boy (view spoiler)
oliver for two thirds of the book: wow victor is so interesting and not like other boys at all but he’s so hot and cold i just don’t get what his deal is
victor:
Nadine
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it

My main criticism is that this book feels unfinished. I know that that this only the first book in the series but I still feel that book 1 lacked *something*. The pacing for starters is...not great. Things progress at a snail's pace tbh. There is some stuff that was glossed over for some reason without actual consequences (view spoiler) and that stopped me from giving more than 3.5 stars. I
Jo
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was really, really sweet... Looking forward to the next book in the series ...more
Janeylou
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ghosts, 0000-sh-recs
Elise
Jan 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
They say to never judge a book by its cover, and this book is the prime example. The raven art is serious and beautiful, of which this book is neither. This novel can be described as a coming-of-age story with a hint of the supernatural. The two biggest issues with this description -and the book as a whole- are that none of the characters grow or change over the course of the novel, and there is no real suspense or fear in the paranormal elements. Even though the main character can talk to ...more
Molli B.
I had a lot of time for this book in the beginning. The writing is a bit clunky—as is the editing—but it reads like an author's first book, and those are not always perfect. So that's okay! And the subject is interesting: paranormal YA. Bring it on!

My patience ran out in the final third. At some point the story lost a lot of its steam (steam meaning momentum in this case, not sexy-steam, of which there is none). There was a lot of driving force in the first part of the book as we learned about
Diana
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a sucker for YA boys’ love if it’s fantasy/paranormal/speculative fiction, which is what drew me to this. It was so achingly sweet and filled with emotion (like, the main character is an empath, but besides that). The first few pages felt slightly sparse, with more telling than showing, but then I just sunk into it and it was a great writing style to me, first person with pluck and depth.

I have read lgbtq fantasy that I didn’t like, even though I really wanted to, so it’s not like I’m “oh
Ghoulsted
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Angie
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Paranormal YA MM Romance

4 stars!

This book is a true journey from start to the To Be Continued...

We meet Oliver, a weird teenage outcast who likes ghost hunting with his friend Bailey. He has a discovery that leads him to Ms. Glass who helps him figure out what he is. Oliver feels a connection to Victor but soon finds Victor might not be all he seems. Oliver has decisions to make and must stay in the light for the sake of the world. No pressure, right?

What I liked was that this was an
Sabella
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oliver could be any teen that is "different" in the world. As we meet him and his life, you will find yourself cheering for Oliver while booing so many others. His best friend has his back, even is she can be just a little rabid about it at times. Add in a pretty absent mother, odd occurrences, and a budding friendship with Mrs Glass to name a few things, you have one of those stories you never want to end. I cannot wait to read the rest.

As a side note, yes this is labeled YA and teens can read
HAYLEY SMITH
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING YA read!!!!

Ah, where to start? So many positive things to say about this amazing book!
Silence of winter just grabbed me from the beginning, I adored Oliver and Victor and loved how the story just grew and expanded into something else the more I read.
It had the perfect amount of romance for a YA book but also magic, mystery and real situations faced by teenagers.
I can't stop thinking about this brilliant read, which I have loved as an adult but know was just the kind of book my teenage
Jennifer Oliveira
It's curious that at the end of the book Kindle was recommending 'A Light Amongst Shadows', because I had been thinking throughout the story that they both had the same... feeling. And I loved A Light Amongst Shadows.

This one hasn't got nearly as much angst, though. It is an easy read, and the characters are all very complete. Some things annoyed me, and I did not like the writing all that much, but I find I can't take away any stars from this book because I really, really like the plot.

Thistle
Aug 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Told in first person, I had no idea the main character was male until too far into the story. The internal voice sounded completely female to me.

Also contemporary fiction (with a dash of supernatural), which is not something I usually read.

Usually I don't check others' reviews until either I'm done with the book or losing interest, and since this was the latter, I hopped over to Goodreads to see what others thought. Reviews mentioned the same thing I was feeling (bad dialogue, author seemed to
Hani Md Mahatri
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My heart aches, in a good way

You always want a good story.. Good stories with a slow burn or good stories with mindless sex.. This one has one of the best kind of slow burn, no mountain high enough for a love you work for.. I totally regret reading this book without the next one published yet.. I am gonna wait till the entire series is published, because I can't put myself through the torture..
Tony Williamson,jr.
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great start in this new series.

Being a teenager and Gay is tough. Finding out you have a magical family history that has been kept from you..... Well, that just makes one awesome story. From beginning to end, this book keeps you hooked. Full of everything one could ask for in a YA book and then some. Oliver, Victor, Bailey and Kyle all have a shared destiny, but will they all choose the same path.....
Tracy Perry
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG... Please give me second book now...? What a beautiful & heartbreaking story. I cried so much & my heart broke for both Ollie & Victor. I loved them the moment I met them, their story was amazing, heartbreaking & beautiful. It was a long hard journey & I can't wait to read what comes next for both of these boys. Dang cliffhangers... A Must Read!
Victoria Taylor
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unusual love story!

Sweet YA paranormal love story! This book introduced you to many of the players of what is shaping up to be an epic good vs evil story. Magic and witchcraft abound along with a few ghosts! Interesting new series.
Neko
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved Ollie and Victor! I have to admit that I was completely charmed by Victor especially.
Silence of Winter is a good book to read while waiting for Halloween to arrive, it fits this season perfectly.
I'll be here waiting for the second book!
Desi Allen
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can’t wait for more.

This was beautifully written and I can’t wait to see what happens next, I will definitely get the next book as soon as it’s out!!!
Justyna Małgorzata
Struggled through the first chapter and just couldn't go on. I know it's YA but the writing is just awful. Like it was written by a teenager. DNF
Steven Sehnert
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So awesome! Cannot wait for Book 2. Very engaging characters, rich in story development...I loved it!
J
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Much more than what it seems.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ 1-800-273-8255
Options For Deaf + Hard of Hearing 1-800-799-4889
Carol Dawn
I find most ‘Young Adult’ romance books hard to get into. It’s not because they are poorly written, but because they don’t contain the level of romance that grabs and holds my interest.
That being said, I can honestly say this isn’t one of those books. Actually, I’ve read multiple YA books by this author and have loved every single one.
Silence of Winter is a beautiful story full of magic, twists and turns. It’s fun to read, it’s mysterious and of course, it’s romantic.
The two main characters
Lisa Pickren
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This story had so much potential. I really liked the characters and where the story was going in the first 75% or so of the story. But the ending just seemed like a cop out to me. I liked the difficulties facing the characters and to have it resolved so easily in the end? I felt robbed of a great ending. I don't think I'll be continuing the series.

• A Light Amongst Shadows (Dark is the Night, #1)
  • Lock & West
  • A Hymn in the Silence (Dark is the Night #2)
  • A Calm Before the Storm (Dark is the Night 2.8)
  • A Shimmer in the Night (Dark is the Night #2.5)
  • Found at Sea (Tales of Fate #1)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • The Enchanter's Soul (The Ellwood Chronicles #2)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • Kiss Me Again
  • The Mage on the Hill (The Web of Arcana #1)
  • There Goes Sunday School
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • NoX
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • The Nymph Prince (Tales of Fate, #2)