Start by marking “How Not To” as Want to Read:
How Not To

How Not To

Ari
When you’re young you think you know it all. I was fortunate enough to live in a world where poverty was just something I’d heard of, but never experienced. Until, I took a chance on the boy from the wrong side of the tracks. The chemistry undeniable. Our worlds collided and I fell hard, we both did. I needed him to stay and when he didn’t, it broke my heart. So I grew
Published January 18th 2019

To ask other readers questions about How Not To, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Not To

Caroline Pajda
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good girl. Boy from the bad side of town. First love and one night that changed everything.
8 years later they meet again..
Is the love they had enough? Will they forget and move on?
I really enjoyed reading this book. Can’t wait to read more from this author
Thi
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this book but my enjoyment was sometimes off set by my dislike of Ari. I loved Torren. I didn’t much care for her. Her attitude just rubbed me wrong. I understood her anger at the choice Torren made but her decisions after he was gone to not reach out had me wanting to hurt her. It wasn’t like he did it to spite her but she only really thought about herself. How she felt, how it all effected her but never once how it effected him.
Love N. Books
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ellie’s $0.02:

Oh Devin, Devin, Devin. Fate brought you into my life for a reason. To bring me this book.

Author Devin Sawyer’s debut hit the streets running and struck me like a Mack truck. Or a semi. Or a double decker bus. A big, big vehicle of some sort.

Beth
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the debut novel of Devin Sawyer ... second chance romance, great writing style. amazing style ... fun tale become learning lesson for 2 kids ... growing into adulthood ... YA storyline, new adult? (how is that decision made??!) ... u see how they grow into young adults ...how they were kind of dumb ... but taking responsibility. i was yelling no!! never understand why folks take a "i did it" moment ...when it was not their fault!! (hoping that make sense, i don't wanna give away anything ...more
Deekay
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Advance review copy provided by the author*

Heartbreaks everywhere. I was so close to not surviving this one! I can feel the characters pain. I feel bad for what happened to both Torren and Arianne. These two faced a lot of challenges that break them apart.

Torren sacrificed a lot, he sacrificed his truck and then himself to protect those he loves, including Ari. This man been through a lot of things, he was innocent but his friend’s mistakes landed him on prison. Fast forward 8 years later, he b
Nerdy girl
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm crying 😩 and that's why I personally prefer light and funny reads than emotional, tragic books☹. But this was so captivating I couldn't just put it down.

I don't know what I was expecting but it was definitely not this!!!

So much pain!! The whole book had a painful undertone to it. Writing was fantastic.

Torren and Ari are from the opposite side of tracks.

He needed some help and she agreed. (Not that easily obviously)
They spend the time together and their chemistry is simmering. It's just
Aurora - Whoo Gives A Hoot
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
* Read more of my reviews at Whoo Gives A Hoot *
16779996_424694524540054_281417525_n
How Not To by Devin Sawyer was a beautifully written second chance romance filled with a lot of heart and emotion. It's still hard to believe that this is the author's debut novel because it's the kind of story that will instantly reel a reader right in and keep them hooked until the very end. The characters were captivating and the storyline was intriguing. The slow burning romance between Ari and Torren drove me crazy, but it the best way possibl
queen_of_the_books_18
⭐⭐⭐⭐
Arc given in exchange for an honest review

This debut novel by Devin Sawyer was brilliant! A second chance romance that broke my damn heart.

Ari and Torren meet when his brother’s business is in trouble and he seeks out help to balance the books. Ari’s dad turns him down so Ari offers to help him. The two are young at this point and they start spending more and more time together and start catching feelings for one another.
One fateful night ends in tragedy when Torren needs up getting arre
Charlene
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This debut book by Devin Sawyer starts out as a young, first love kind of story, and then turns into a second chance romance, which I loved. It’s always so nice to live their history along with them before the book flashes forward in time.

Arianne and Torren live in a Texas town that has a clear division...the haves and the have nots. Ari is stuck somewhere in the middle, not really fitting in, while Torren is as blue collar as you can get working in his brother’s garage. Ari is working the summ
Amazeballs Book Addicts
I loved this one. I was hooked right from the beginning. I was so hooked I forget to make supper but I did finish in one sitting. Ari is a good girl who is focused. Torren is a guy from the wrong side of the tracks. I though he was nice and sweet. I thought theses two were good together. I didn't read the blurb so when something happen that pulled them apart I was shocked. They had a sweet young love that ended in a rough way. Eight years later their paths cross. They have both changed but still ...more
Read.Review.Repeat Blog
Torrin and Ari have quite the past and if anything shows from it is Ari's inability to move on and love someone. Torrin still wants Ari and will do what he has to to get her back. That includes telling her the whole truth. This story was heartbreakingly sweet.
Mandi
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Ari and Torren's story. This debut novel by Devin Sawyer is a second chance love and I was hooked from the beginning. I liked both characters and I could not put this book down. I will definitely be reading any more books that Devin comes out with!
Marika
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The blurb doesn't give much away and I didn't know what to expect, both story wise and writing style. I have to say I liked it a lot, so I will certainly read whatever this author will wrire next.
Ari and Torren, the good girl and the bad boy, a friendship and a chance that will lead them far..or maybe not..
A night that changes everything and a present that might change things once again..
the chemistry is certainly still there but so is the hurt and the anger..will they be able to get past it or
Sunny Shelly Reads
This was a great debut novel! Torrent sacrifices everything to protect Ari, but his decision changes both of their lives forever.

How Not To is both a young love, first love sweet tale, and then segues into an angsty second-chance story that takes place 8 years later. There is a lot of heartbreak for Torren and Ari before they get to their HEA, but it’s a tale of hope, redemption and forgiveness.

At times, I felt like the dialogue wasn’t natural, and the writing was a bit clunky. But for her firs
Jenny
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great debut novel by this author. I love finding new authors. This book pulled me in from the beginning until the end. I love the characters! Torren was my favorite! I fell in love with so easy with him. I look forward to reading more books my this author in the future.
*Magic Beyond The Covers Book Blog*
Luz Acevedo
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy second chances... Devin did an amazing job writing this story and gave you a full, well descriptive look into these characters lives. She shows the way life can impact you but how fate decides who your soulmate is.

Truly great book.
Little Steamy Reads
Devin Sawyer stumped right off the bat and as her debut book she released a story so full of emotions that it was hard to shake it off. How Not To is a tribute to youthful love. It’s also a hope for unfulfilled dreams. This book is a heartbreak but also a balm for a wounded soul.

Ari is a girl from a good home. During the holidays she started working in her father's company as an accountant. Torren, in turn, is a boy from the wrong side of the tracks who works in his brother's garage. As the fina
Emily Goodman
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is not a lot better in life for a reader than discovering a new author and reading their debut novel. It’s always exciting, surprising and a big mystery of what this author stands for. After reading Devin Sawyer’s How Not To, I can easily say I’m intrigued in reading more of what she has to say.

In the beginning, this book starts out with her characters Arianne and Torren both very young. Having just graduated high school, Torren knows he wants more to life than working for his brother. Ar
Jennifer Copeland
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How Not To by Devin Sawyer was an awesome read! Devin Sawyer is a new author to me and the author didn’t disappoint me. I couldn’t put my kindle down while reading this book. How Not To is a standalone novel and you will enjoy reading it.
How Not To explores the budding romance between Ari and Torren. Ari is from middle to high-class family and Torren was from the wrong side of the tracks. Ari was in high school and Torren had already graduated and was working in his brother Gavin’s auto repair s
Amy M. (Amy Loves Reading Blog)
Could NOT put it down!!! Talk about heart flutter, heart break and heart swoon!! (I know the last one wasn’t a real thing but I’m making it real.) I love that my introduction to this author was this book because it had so many elements you could take and reflect back on in your personal life.

Arianne is not your typically girl and at the beginning you can see she clearly has reasons to be anything but the typical “rich girl”. Her parents have money but they are considered the “help” and therefor
Kristina
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How not to is second chance contemporary romance. I absolutely loved it.

The book has two parts. Firstly we read about two teenagers Ari and Torren and their young, slow-burn romance. Characters are well written and very very real. Maybe I preferred Torren a bit more. He had very good intensions, made a mistake, paid for it and was still a very, very good person. And sexy. And attractive. And…

After first few chapters, I picked up, this author has really good vocabulary. I loved her writing, it
Miriam Meza
I have to admit I have no expectations about this book, since it was a first time. A first time reading this author, her first time publishing… I think you get it. I was surprised by the amount of passion and feelings the author put in the book, and how her words gripped my heart like an iron fist. And I’m not talking about the Marvel character…
This story starts as a first love kind of book, new adult romance if you may, between one good girl and one boy from the bad side of town. Their attracti
FunUndertheCovers
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finding a new author and reading their debut novel is always exciting and after reading How Not To, I’m definitely eager to read more from Devin Sawyer!

This book starts out as a young, first love kind of story, and then turns into a second chance romance, which I loved. It’s always so nice to live their history along with them before the book flashes forward in time.

Melissa Sagastume
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Advance review copy provided by the author*

This is the story of Ari and Torren. Two outsiders who were never supposed to meet but ended up being what the other needed. Ari comes from an upper-middle-class family. She never really fits in anywhere, she falls in between the middle. Her only real friend is Emily. Torren is from the "wrong" side of the tracks. He recently graduated and is working in his brother's auto shop. They start off just helping each other. He wants to know why his brother's
Amy Stephens
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Discovering new authors is my thing, especially when it's their very first book. Just from her style of writing and the characters and story she shared with us, Devin Sawyer is someone I'd love to know.

I knew from the very first chapter, this author had a story to tell. I easily fell into the story line and stayed up way too late several nights, just so I could find out more about Arianne and Torren, two characters that will certainly stick with you for a very long time. Sawyer knew the right t
Rosanna
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2 stars really!!
When Ari and Torrent met when they were teens they fell head over heals in love and didn’t even know it at the time. Torren being from the wrong side of the tracks and Ari living on the upper side were never made to be together. Her parents would never have accepted him.
One night and the relationship took a turn for the worse.
After getting pulled over by a cop. A cop that has had it in for Torren since they were rivals in high school.
Pulls them over and searches the tru
Aubrey B3 Book Blog
Excellent debut!

I went into this story completely blind. I had no idea what I was in for, and I absolutely loved it.

We meet Ari and Torren when they're both young. Ari is from a "wealthy" family and Torren is not. Their families and their town basically forbid them from being together because they aren't cut from the same money tree. But that doesn't stop them from becoming friends, and then falling passionately in love at such a young age.

But then Devin hits you in the feels and tears them apa
Living My Best Book Life
description
My emotions are all over the place after reading Devin Sawyer’s debut novel, How Not To 😭😍😬😏.

I cannot believe that this is Devin Sawyer’s debut novel. This debut, second chance romance was tragically beautiful, pure, innocent, and angsty.

I really enjoyed the dual perspective. Getting to read both sides of the story from both Ari and Torren was fantastic. It really helped the flow of the story.

The story of two teenagers in love facing life’s obstacles the only way they knew how was to be honest,
Linda 🖤 LB Book Blog
I love reading debut authors. It’s so great to find a new author that can write a wonderful story.

Torren and Ari are such flawed characters that you will immediately fall in love with. Their story begins when Ari is still is high school. Despite their very different background they grow close. Only to be ripped apart from each other. The second part of the book is 8 years later giving them a second chance at love.

The book is well written. The characters are great. I loved the story. It was imp
Nicole Ortiz
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Once I started I was hooked. This is a story about a sassy good girl Ari who is working at her father's accounting firm for the summer. She meets player bad boy Torren who asked for her help with his brother's business. As they work together feelings are developed and they both dive in and start a relationship it's a first for both. Then a series of devastating events happen and they part ways. Years later they find themselves working together and old feelings come together. T ...more