Start by marking “Amelia Westlake Was Never Here” as Want to Read:
Amelia Westlake Was Never Here

Amelia Westlake Was Never Here

A fiercely funny, queer romantic comedy about two girls who can't stand each other, but join forces in a grand feminist plan to expose harassment and inequality at their elite private school.

Harriet Price is the perfect student: smart, dutiful, over-achieving. Will Everhart is a troublemaker who's never met an injustice she didn't fight. When their swim coach's inappropria
Expected publication: May 21st 2019 by Poppy (first published April 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Westlake Was Never Here, please sign up.
Bee (Vellichorbee)
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

✨    jamieson   ✨
AN F/F ROMANCE WITH "an unlikely pair embarking on a grand feminist hoax"

SOUNDS LIT IM IN

Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Rosemead Grammar is a prestigious girls college in the affluent lower north shore of Sydney, achieving academic excellence for young women of the wealthy and elite community. It is imperative of students to preserve the sanctity of the Academy and Harriet Price is the epitome of exemplary students. Harriet is an achiever, an enterprising young woman immersed within the community, a virtuous prefect representative of the academy. Wilhelmina Everhart is a social and political activist, challenging ...more
Natasha
Review also on my blogTwitterBookstagram

Rep: lesbian mcs, f/f romance, side Vietnamese character

Trigger warnings: initially unchallenged racism

I was sent an arc from the publisher in exchanged for a free and honest review

Initially, this book sounded really promising. Two girls pulling off a hoax whilst developing a romance? Sounds great!

Yeah, not so much.

First and foremost, I hated Will. She seemed like the authors attempt to write an 'edgy' character but didn't seem to really know how
Amanda
This was so flipping good! I want to read it all over again.
tj88
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s one of those books that I feel the need to finish in one sitting. ‘witty and artistic’, full of surprises, charming, sweet but not at all corny or typical coming-out kind of lgbt books.
in short, I love it!
K.
Trigger warnings: sexual harassment, racism, cheating, incident resulting in a fear of flying (in the past), toxic/abusive relationship, homophobia, absent parents.

So here's the thing: I really wanted to like this book because it sounded GREAT. But ultimately, I found it to be sort of aggressively average. Harriet was a total wet blanket of a character who's being walked all over by her girlfriend. In contrast, Will was just sort of...a brat. I mean, I get it. Kids who are at snobby private sch
Libby Armstrong
So much to love about Gough’s new novel. First, thanks for giving us Harriet Price. The peppy and latent subversive HP is a fantastic foil for the snarky Will Everhart. And then I love the creative and credible pranks Amelia Westlake enacts to provoke her cohort to action. So much conscious raising. The romance is hot, and there is plenty of nail biting plot twists that threaten to out Amelia. Well worth the wait!
Mary-ellen
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book!

Erin Gough does a great job with voice in this YA novel set in an elite girls school.

Will and Harriet, unlikely co-conspirators, find themselves partnering up to make a statement about injustices at their school. They mastermind a hoax to draw attention to the issues, but struggle to navigate their turbulent friendship as momentum picks up around their hoax.

I read recently that teens say their number one issue is that they’re not listened to. This insight comes to life in thi
Danielle
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Review to come on my blog
Jes Layton
Hmm, okay so, up front I heard about this book at a YA showcase last year, was intrigued by the premise and then was lucky enough to receive an ARC copy from the publisher. I'm very thankful for this and would love to pass my ARC copy along to someone in Australia (more details on my Insta @a_geek_with_a_hat)

So, you're probably looking at my rating of AMELIA WESTLAKE and thinking, wtf? This book sounds awesome, it's queer, #LoveOzYA, a contemporary feminist heist and yeah, it sounds perfect.

It'
Megan Maurice
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant from start to finish, I could hardly bear to put it down. Erin Gough has created a fascinating world within this elite private school, filled with diverse and interesting characters. So much of the politics in the school took me back to my own school days - it so realistically portrayed the way young girls interact with each other and the power of female friendship.
Trisha
Update: I just wrote a longer review at my blog Trish Talks Texts.

A thoughtful exploration of topical issues wrapped in a delicious package of surprising twists and messy relationships. It all worked.
Emmy9394
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite YA of 2018! Absolutely brilliant! I wish my year group at school had been this politically and socially aware of the world around them. Teenage girls will change (are changing) the world!
Karina
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
Prepare your bodies everybody 😍
Alison
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ozya
A highly enjoyable read, Amelia Westlake is the kind of refreshing contemporary book that you want to read in one sitting.

A novel about girls, Willhemina and Harriet, who create a pysdonym to pull statement pranks at their elitist school. Somewhere along the way they fall for each other, and it's wonderful.

This book also highlights internalized rascism, elitist privlidge, sexism, and toxic relationships.

I adored reading this, thank you Erin Gough for another fantastic novel to shove in people'
Sarah Randall
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is 'Amelia Westlake'? It is a YA novel. It is a queer romance. It is a wonderful example of intersectional feminism. It's a timely novel for the #MeToo movement.

But it is also so much more than all these things. Like the Rosemead girls themselves, it is 'the glorious sum of [its] parts'. It's galvanising, and a must-read for any teenagers - or indeed, any person - who is questioning their voice and the power it has to change the world.
Carly Findlay
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A nod to the power of women speaking up in the #MeToo movement, Amelia Westlake is a clever, cunning imaginary student devised to implant social justice within Rosemead Private School.

Two high school frenemies - Will and Harriet - find a common interest in wanting to call out harassment and inequity at Rosemead. They devise a series of secret ploys to shine light on the wrong doings of teachers, to raise money for women’s charities and make the school formal less stuffy.

I found the reason for
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
Amelia Westlake is a fun and light-hearted #LoveOzYA novel. Set in at the fictional Rosemead Grammer, a private school for the elite, Amelia Westlake tells the story of Will Everheart and Harriet Price as they work to send a message to Rosemead about its supposed values.

Will Everheart might not be one of the elite but her mother has worked hard to ensure that Will can enjoy the benefits of a private education. Harriet Price on the other hand is the epitome of privilege and reaps the benefits thi
- ̗̀ fantine ̖́-
just went to a publishing event where they talked about this and boy o yall arent ready

-good girl vs bad girl
-hoaxes?!

amazing
Emily
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book from page 1. Harriet and Will's story completely captivated me and I read it all in one sitting. It was funny, flirty and feriously feminist. Get your hands on a copy ASAP!!
Sass
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I know already that some people are going to be driven bananas by Harriet, but I love her. She has the kind of wilful obliviousness that I did as a teenager, that conviction that if you use long enough words in your inner monologue everything will actually become as you wish it was.

Of course, I never pulled off a series of schoolwide pranks with an artsy frenemy/crush, so Harriet is definitely cooler than I was.
Coe
Jun 30, 2017 marked it as level-2-tbr  ·  review of another edition
I HAVE A NEED
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Hardie Grant Publishing for review.

Amelia Westlake is set in a very different Australia to what I’ve been living in my whole life, so it was one of the less relatable Aussie YA books I’ve read. But sometimes it’s interesting to see into the lives of the upper crust, I guess. Though I will say that whenever the girls bemoaned their school – even though it was a piece of shit in some ways – I was a little annoyed. I mean, it’s a damn privilege to go to a school
Em The Reading Challenge Challenge
"She has failed and despaired and learned and loved and triumphed. She is the glorious sum of her parts. She is one girl, containing multitudes."

You know how Love Simon came out and we had a wonderful mlm rom-com and then To All The Boys I've Loved Before came out and we had a wonderful straight rom-com and now everyone's looking for a wlw rom-com? I reckon Amelia Westlake could be it.

This is a stunning book all about girls working together to support each other and stop misogyny in its tracks,
Carolyn DeCarlo
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Probably more of a 3.5/5, this is a genre (YA romance) that I'm not familiar with reading, let alone critiquing. Being honest, I picked this one up while I was in Sydney (banished for visa reasons) last March, for several reasons: it's queer YA fiction, it is an OzYA book, it was published in 2018, and written by a woman. And I think it's worth it's salt, or whatever people say.

The narrative is told in alternating chapters between the first-person perspectives of two young women attending their
ALPHAreader
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not in the least bit surprised that this was fabulous. Erin Gough's 'The Flywheel' is one of my favourite #LoveOzYA books, probably of all time ... so when she comes out with a feminist caper set in a private school amongst students wanting to blow open the patriarchal establishment, it's a "knock me over with a feather" situation for how much I knew this would play to Gough's strengths and makes my heart sing.

But this was SO. DAMN. GOOD!

Yes, it is a little bit 'The Disreputable History o
Rosalie
This is an enjoyable heart-warming read - a YA story that is both serious and fun.
Will is the typical odd girl who can be found in any school - she is not afraid to be different and stand up for issues she believes in, which is admirable but not the easiest of attributes if you want to win friends especially in schools where friendships are fragile, and prestige plus looks are everything. Attending a posh private girls’ school for her last few years of high school enables Will to be the centre
Lily
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate that I am giving this 3/5 stars, I really do. Though this book is incredibly unique, charming, and hilarious at points, it is missing the kind of delicacy and poignancy of Gogh’s previous novel, ‘The Flywheel’ - which I very much enjoyed. The characters are likable, and definitely become more so, but they are lacking charm; at times they do not feel like real people, but rather, personified cliches. And it’s a shame, because truly this book was written for me (having spent the last six ye ...more
Paige Lissa
Holy sh*t. Not to be dramatic or anything, but I LOVE THIS BOOK. This book is the love of my life.

Let's see:
- F/F Rep? YES.
- Girls sticking up for other girls? YOU BET.
- Girls sticking up for eachother against a sexist, racist, sleazy man? HECK YES.
- A girl realising her girlfriend is toxic and that her relationship isn't the fairytale she pretends it is? YES.
- GIRLS HAVING THEIR OWN VOICES AND STICKING UP FOR THINGS THEY BELIEVE IN? YES TO THE MAX!

Was I even living before I read this book?
Erin Gough is a fiction writer whose short stories have been published in a number of journals and anthologies, including Best Australian Stories, The Age, Overland, Southerly and Going Down Swinging. Her work has been broadcast on radio. She has also worked as a freelance writer and columnist. Awards Erin has received for her short fiction include first place in the Banjo Patterson National Short ...more