Start by marking “Brick (Cooper Construction, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brick (Cooper Construction, #1)

Brick

(Cooper Construction #1)

I’m used to getting my hands dirty. During the day it’s mud and grime on the construction site. At night…it’s the blood I spill. A drug lord’s enforcer does what needs to be done. It’s my obedience, my loyalty to the boss that keeps my family alive.

I know I’m teetering on the edge. I’m losing my humanity, I can feel it. It’s changing me, and it’s only a matter of time bef
Published February 5th 2019 by Limitless Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Brick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brick

Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
145b8f8a-9003-4152-8fb1-8d0b0575e47b

I really enjoyed Brick such a lot: it has such an overall feel-good vibe to the whole entire experience.
I adored Brick and really appreciated the fact that he wasn't your usual pretty boy.
He defiantly lives up to his name in size as he is built like an actual shed: so definitely a big fellow.
Which certainly comes in handy when he is doing his job for a local loan shark as his top enforcer: a job he dislikes but has no choice in as his employer has leverage that keeps brick compliant and in line.
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
HOLY HADES SWEET BABY JESUS is what I was saying while I was reading this book. Man Jen is an amazing break through author that I have never heard of so of course when I want to know about a book and its author I stalk them on facebook, twitter, instagram, Main&Bites, Bookbub you get the picture right...... Well I stalked the hell out of this author and book and I could not wait to read it. I just knew I was going to love Brick and I was not wrong. I have to say God Damn I would love a Brick ...more
Deekay
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*advance review copy provided by Give Me Books PR*

This book was very intense, dark, brutal, and so messed up!!! But I loved it anyway! Each chapter made me nervous. I didn’t know what to expect at all because this type of story always has a lot of twists and turns making it hard predict how everything’s gonna end. It was a crazy fast-paced story which I really liked about this book since I prefer a fast-paced story rather than a slow-paced story. The storyline was so dark, it gave me a scary fee
Julie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a fantastic read!
Brick is an enforcer for a loan shark, Sucre, and he delivers the penalty’s his cruel boss insists if they’re late, he’s good at it but hates it and only does it to keep his family safe. He also works for a building company, this break keeps him sane, he feels like an average guy and free of Sucre’s clutches for a short time.
Liv is a survivor, she has hidden strengths and is trying to live her life to the fullest now that she has been given a second chance. Her brothe
Ana Rita
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my lord... Have a look at this cover... Dayum... Hot hot hot... The things I would like to do... But lets talk about the book... Right?
It's always a pleasure to meet new authors and if I have a chance to do it I just dive in...
And one look at the blurb and I knew that I needed to read it.
Like I said, Jen Davis is a new author to me and let's just say that I'm hooked... Oh boy...
Brick is her latest release and it's the first book from the Cooper Construction series.
This book explores the
1-Click Addict Support Group
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
From dark to light…

Wow, did Brick and Liv throw me for a loop! A slow start quickly changed to a no holds barred assault on my emotions…

Brick is huge in stature and reputation. Forced to work for a monster, he was biding his time, waiting for the moment he could break free. He was tied down by love and didn’t need – or want – anything more holding him back… Liv was living a new life. There were no guarantees so she tried not to let fear hold her back. And risking her heart was up there with jump
Sassy Southern
**3.5 Stars**

Brick may be good at his job, but that doesn't mean he likes it. As an enforcer for a loan shark, he's the one sent to recover payment or dish out the consequences when they don't have it. However, in order to keep his family safe, he continues doing it, knowing they'd be in danger otherwise. His other job now, working construction, he likes and it keeps him sane. It also helps him feel as normal as he can be.

Liv knows what it's like to stare death in the face...and win. She's fough
Jolie Vines
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This dark romance contains my favourite ingredients, a deeply troubled hero and a determined, strong heroine. Brick is a construction worker by day and a drug lord's enforcer by night. He's forced to do unspeakable things to protect the only person he loves, and has blood on his hands. He and doesn't think he's good enough for the gorgeous woman he keeps seeing around.
Liv is a survivor. She goes after what she wants, and she likes the big, brutish man.
I have to tell you, there's a twist in this
Kelly
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good guys who are dragged into a brutal situation and do what they have to do to survive while making plans to break away and get out are a literary weakness for me. I like the internal push and pull that goes on for someone who wouldn't otherwise be involved in what they're involved in. The moral ambiguity of hurting (and killing) people because they're forced into it (and subsequently think that's ALL they're good for because that type of life sucks the belief in yourself right out of you) ver ...more
Ga Books LoverX
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fan of dark romances? This will be your jam. Except our main man is not the dark one, he is the opposite of dark but does not know it. Swoon!

Characters:
Brick is an enforcer for a really freaking bad dude that owns the bad part of town. He was forced into this life when needing money as a child and only stays because the bad dude has leverage on him. He hates what he has to do but just bids his time by working his day job in construction and then at nights he becomes the boogyman.
Liv is so freak
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
description
The blurb for this book immediately caught my attention. I wasn’t sure what to expect as I hadn’t read anything from Davis prior, but I’m so glad I took a chance and gave this one a try.

A woman given a second chance at life and a man desperate to take his in a different direction. Finding in each other something they never expected. From the first moment, the chemistry they shared was on fire. I was completely pulled into their story.

Davis gave us some fantastic characters with so much to share
Lydia H
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6-stars
Oh, my world. SIX STARS!!!

Gritty, dark, mysterious, suspenseful, sexy, addictive, and absolutely amazing. A page-turner from the very beginning all the way through the very last page! Eek! What. A. Book!!! I am SO unbelievably lucky to have read an early copy because...what a treasure!

YOU GUYS. Wow. I can’t even put it into words because nothing I say will be enough to express the epicness that this book truly is. This isn’t a must-read, no. It’s a YOU-NEED-THIS-BOOK-RIGHT-NOW kind of read.

Je
Megb
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brick is the number one enforcer for Sucre who is a well known drug lord/loan shark. Brick has done many things he isn’t proud of. He’s broken countless bones, hurt countless people and even killed when told. He is a monster, self-proclaimed, he doesn’t deserve anything but this life and he does it all to keep his grandmother alive and safe. She’s the only family he has left.

Liv is a high school teacher, she’s stared death in the face and beat it once and she knew she needs to start living a li
Amelia Foster
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let’s talk about Brick. Because I could. Allllllllll day. He is my favorite type of hero. A little morally gray (but when you find out the reason he is doing what he does your heart might shattered into a million pieces… or maybe that is just me) as the enforcer and go-to man for a seedy, underworld loan shark and a lot broken. I seriously have SUCH a thing for broken boys. Brick is MORE THAN welcome to come to my home for wayward fictional characters who need brownies, warm blanket, and cuddles ...more
Jennifer Pierson
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG WOW WOW WOW! I can honestly say that I NEVER saw Brick coming, not to say that the blurb didn't intrigue me, but again WOW! Jen Davis has blown me away with the amazing story that knocked my on my behind from beginning to end, and everything in between. I'm not going to give anything more as far as description because that will be a disservice, just go in blind, trust me, it's worth it. First of all, the suspense, yeah, it was of the edge of my seat, heart racing, f-bombs dropping, twists ar ...more
Joelle
Let's start off by saying that this author is new to us and we have to say that we really enjoyed our first read by them.

We really enjoyed the story as it was one of those stories that keeps you on edge the entire time as you never know what is going to happen around the corner.We really loved almost all the character's in this current story especially all those mysterious hot construction guys .The sick ones well-"I wanted to be planning their deaths right along him!" lol

Brick was my favorite c
Liza
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brick is the debut novel from author Jen Davis. This book is a dark contemporary romance with suspense elements that kept me on the edge of my seat pretty much the entire time.

Jonathan "Brick" Barlow is the number one enforcer for drug lord/loan shark Sucre de la Cruz. Brick wants out of that life more than anything on earth. He is an enforcer with a conscience and a heart and is only still in this world because Sucre keeps dirt on all his employees, and Brick is protecting his grandmother, who
Cheryl O'Harney (The Book Whisperer)
Title: Brick (Cooper Construction, #1)
Author: Jen Davis
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Rating: 5/5

ARC received in return for an honest review.

Dark, raw and very gritty this book was a captivating read from beginning to end, filled with mystery and elements of suspense,

The two main protagonists Brick and Liv may not have come across as being right for one another at first but once their walls came down we got to see just how perfect they were together. Brick’s a man who’s been forced into the role o
Michelle Brace (Wicked Babes Blog Reviews)
Fan of dark , twisted, intense, gritty, suspenseful romances?? Look no further because this is the book for you.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book and I was pleasantly surprised with what I read. I was going to say that this was a wonderful introduction to a new to me author but then I got on here and it looks like this is Jen's debut novel. AHHH what??? What a smashing debut. Jen has won me over with this read and I will definitely be making sure I get my hands on this authors work.

B
Brandy Roberts
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This would be a first book by Jen Davis and I am excited to see what's to come in the future , Brick is book one in the cooper construction and I can't wait for Kanes story yay . The flow of the story was perfect it wasn't rushed or slow you got time to really connect with the characters and what they were doing . I really enjoyed seeing how the characters were growing through out the story it just drew me in and didn't let go .The chemistry between the couple was very intense even though this i ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Brick by Jen Davis is book One in the Cooper Construction Series. This is the story of Liv and Brick.
Brick by day is a works construction but he has been trained and works as a enforcer for a Loan Shark. Used to the harsh underworld life its all that he seems to know is the harsh world, but then he meets Liv who is the total opposite of him. Liv is a sweet school teacher who does know some harsh realities but is trying to move forward. So when she meets Brick he opens her eyes to other things i
Daria
Jen Davis a new to me author and her new release "Brick" is a full big story with lots going on. It starts out the typical I'm a bad boy and no good for you kinda story, but then when you continue reading you feel as if there are more layers to what's going on.

The build-up of characters was nice it gave you enough time to feel that you knew them, their personalities pretty much on point with the flow of the story.

When you grow up on the real wrong side of the tracks you know you don't deserve
Reviews from the Heart (Kimberly Anne)
4 stars

This is my first read by this author. I have got to be honest. I am not one for third person books. I prefer either either first or second person. With that being said, Brick has changed what I originally preferred, and I will be more willing to read other third person books. Brick is not your light read, in fact it was rather dark. It is twisted really twisted, and it may be trigger for some readers. With that a side, this author took a risk with the risky subject matter and it paid off.
Doris
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mafia, arc, biker
Enforcer For Crime Boss

Brick has the job title as enforcer for a local crime boss and he does that job well. He just needs to make sure that he has no attachment that they can use to keep him in line any more than they already are. That worked until Liv came along. Brick works as a construction worker during the day to put more of an even keel to his life…if that is even possible.

This is a dark romance full of twists and turns which will keep you turning pages right until the very end.
Vanessa
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I’ve read by this author. I was pleasantly surprised. It took me a little to get into the book. But after a while I couldn’t put it down. The chemistry between the characters was off the charts. There was a point in time I couldn’t get enough of them. I wanted to be at least a fly on that wall.
Melissa J (Book Addicts Reviews)
4.5 super sexy stars!!

This is book one in the “Cooper Construction” series. This book can be read as a stand alone but I am super excited for the books to come. So many interesting characters!!

This is a story of the good girl and the bad boy. He wants to be clean and she just wants to live her best life....

I enjoyed this couple very much. This isn’t your sweet romance. There is some grit and darkness that looms over the entire book but it gives it the edge us readers need. Though this love story
Nadia Debowska-Stephens (Obsessed by Books)
New to this author I thoroughly enjoyed my introduction to her writing style, characters and way she slowly builds the plot. Creating loveable characters that you want to succeed and villains that need to have karma deliver their justice Brick was an enjoyable walk on the dark side. Brick has been raised by the top dog of the under world, where debts are paid in fear and blood. Now the top enforcer for mad man he does as he is told as he has been conditioned by years of abuse and threats against ...more
Kimberley C.
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for this one. It was a good romance with a suspenseful edge. I will definitely read more of the series, and the author. Well written too!
Coco.V
Feb 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
💝 ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 💝
Shannon Godwin
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! Loved it! Suspenseful, sexy & dark! My kind of book. Brick is a good guy who got dragged into a bad situation. He works as an enforcer for a drug lord, but works also for a building company. He does what he does to keep his grandmother safe.
In comes Liv who is his opposite in so many ways but they fit together perfectly. I love seeing these two together.
This book had me hooked from the beginning and I can not wait for Kane's book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jen started her love affair with romance novels, first as a reader, then as a reviewer and blogger. She launched the Red Hot Books blog in 2010 and jumped into Book Twitter shortly after.

She is happily married to her high school sweetheart. Together, they’re raising two kids, a cat, and a dog who is afraid of his own shadow.

Jen spends her days working as television journalist and her nights curled

Cooper Construction (2 books)
  • Kane (Cooper Construction, #2)