Start by marking “Verity” as Want to Read:
Verity

Verity

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  243,723 ratings  ·  32,678 reviews
Lowen Ashleigh is a struggling writer on the brink of financial ruin when she accepts the job offer of a lifetime. Jeremy Crawford, husband of bestselling author Verity Crawford, has hired Lowen to complete the remaining books in a successful series his injured wife is unable to finish.

Lowen arrives at the Crawford home, ready to sort through years of Verity's notes and ou
Published December 10th 2018 by Independently Published (first published December 7th 2018)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Verity, please sign up.
Brittany
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Khushboo I think the manuscript tells the truth solely because-
I think the manuscript tells the truth solely because-
Verity mentioned in her letter that her agent Amanda had told her to write the manuscript as a writing exercise to help her writing from the antagonist's point of view. This seems like a very useful and valuable advise, one that helped Verity write her books. So if Lowen was taking over the books from Verity, wouldn't Amanda give her the same advice, considering how helpful it was to Verity. Amanda mentioned no such thing to Lowen or she would have known Verity's manuscript as a writing exercise. This proves Verity might me lying in the letter.(less)

·  243,723 ratings  ·  32,678 reviews

Start your review of Verity
chai ♡
Me, rollerblading into my therapist’s office with sunglasses and a piña colada and dropping this book on the desk with a resounding thud:  Karen, we have much to talk about.

Why read Verity when you can just pull out a Ouija board and summon a demon? I'm sure it’ll have the same effect. I finished this book feeling completely sapped of life, as if I've been bleeding freely for the past few hours instead of simply reading. I wish I could just shake my head to dissolve the memory of that ending, to
Melissa
Bold. Unrelenting. All-consuming. Creepy. Unputdownable.

What I’ve come to appreciate most about Colleen Hoover’s work—whether it’s an emotionally charged love story or in this case, her first go at suspense—is her penchant for pushing boundaries. For telling the unexpected story.

“It’s got bad things in it. Bad words, bad people, bad scenes.”

Hoover preempted Verity’s release with a warning of sorts—although facetious and comical in delivery, it’s something sensitive readers should take to hear
Emily May
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Chelsea Humphrey
"Find what you love and let it kill you."
-Charles Bukowski

Woah, this was fuuuucked up. It should really come with a warning: do not start reading this at night if you want to sleep.

For two reasons, actually. One, it is so compulsively readable that it's almost impossible to put it down until you've finished it. And two, it is seriously creepy and disturbing. Warnings for depictions of child abuse and some graphic violence.

Perhaps this doesn't need to be said, but Verity is definitely not a reg
Kat
Jan 18, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
what fucking bullshit!!

(cw: grief, loss of a family member, attempted abortion, child abuse, neglect, mention of parental estrangement, cheating, murder)
Colleen Hoover
Dec 06, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Help me.
Holly  B
** UNPOPULAR OPINION

This is the second novel that I've read by the author.  I'm not really familiar with her writing or style, but I was seeing many 4-5 star ratings on this book and it was a "thriller" so that was enough to push me to give it a try.

There are many, many high reviews for the book so I'm not here to dissuade anyone from reading it. It just wasn't a good fit for me. I read hundreds of thriller/mysteries and love the genre.

I've read darker novels and enjoyed them, but this one gave
Chelsea Humphrey
I've pulled up this review and tried to make the words come for a couple of days now, but every time I try to write the words all that comes to mind is WTF Colleen?! Obviously we were warned going in that this one would but much different than her other novels, but she didn't tell us that it would be so compulsive and I wouldn't be able to live my life while reading it. How dare she?? But seriously, this book was so delicious in a seriously twisted way, and I feel slightly guilty admitting that ...more
Christine Riccio
I LOVED THIS BOOK. Just posted my full booktalk on youtube (polandbananasbooks). I BLEW THROUGH IT IN TWO DAYS COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN. It's way up at the top of my coho favorites =) ...more
Christy
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-four-stars
 photo IMG_2615_zpsct96cwj1.png

Have you ever finished a book and thought… WTF did I just read? Verity is one of those books that will do that to you. Word to the wise for CoHo fans: this is not your typical book from Colleen Hoover. It’s amazingly written and it’s a completely captivating read, but it’s so different from anything she’s ever put out before.
“Some families are lucky enough to never experience a single tragedy. But then there are those families that seem to have tragedies waiting on the back burner. What
Bibi
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Laughs hysterically* What?!

Three hours later and I’m still laughing and head-shaking at the mindfuck that was this story....
Mary Beth
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🎉 FIVE MIND BLOWING STARS!🎉

This one is a killer! So dark and disturbing. I was not expecting to love this one so much. Colleen Hoover writes romance books. This one is a thriller. I have seen authors go from romance to romantic suspense, but never have I seen an author go from Romance to a dark and disturbing crazy thriller. She knocked this one out of the ball park.

This one just blew my mind. I could not put this book down. I read it while fixing dinner and eating my dinner. I have never done
A.
Brilliant author.
Brillianty written.
Brilliant idea.

Except...

I didn't like it.
I didn't like the heroine. Couldn't relate to her.
I didn't the hero.
I didn't like the story. Implausible and kind of revolting.

I normally like fucked up, unpredictable stories. The darker and more twisted the better.
This one didn't resonate with me.
Sorry.
And watch out for triggers. (view spoiler)
Dana Ilie
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cristina Zanfir , Andreea Elena
Recommended to Dana by: Kim
This book was disturbing in a way that is hard to put in words. Verity is pitched as a thriller and a romantic suspense book. Well, allow me to be as candid as I can: "Verity is a mind-fuck". Is Disturbing. Twisted. Creepy. It will have you questioning things. Brutal. Haunting.
There is no question, the story is hypnotizing. ENGROSSING even if alarmingly disconcerting. And the cherry on top? The ending. That probably held the most savage plot twist I have encountered in a romantic book.

If this is
Meredith
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A manipulative mind f*ck that will keep you guessing!

Verity is a psychological thriller in which the lines between fiction and reality blur together creating an illusion of truth.

A struggling author is offered a lucrative deal: continue writing the popular a bestselling series, get out of debt and be in the presence of a sexy man. SOunds too good to be true? Lowen Ashleigh must find out for herself. She heads to Vermont and begins her journey into famous author Verity Crawford’s mi
jessica
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
want to know whats even more shocking than this dark and twisted book?? its the fact that one of the most suspenseful stories i have ever read is written by my fave romance author! like, how in the world does that happen!?! my mind is absolutely blown.

im usually wary of when authors try to branch out beyond their known genre of writing. i respect it, but sometimes it doesnt work out for the best. luckily, CoHo totally smashed it with this! i am beyond shocked at how creepy and thrilling this sto
Misty
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
BernLuvsBooks
Verity left me completely speechless, unsettled and unabashedly begging CoHo to write more thrillers!!!

I found this story creepy, dark, addictive and absolutely unputdownable. Hoover has quite an imagination and as an avid thriller reader I was immediately drawn into the creepy world she created within the Crawford's home.

"My mother used to say that houses have a soul, and if that's true, the soul of Verity Carwford's house is as dark as they come."

Lowen Ashleigh is a struggling writer with
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Ugh what the fuck just happened? 😟😟😟 That end!!! I can't believe it... OMG I need more, this book can't end like that... I still have questions... 😫😫😫

Farrah
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 ⭐ for this book that is creepier than I expected!

A book within a book and, like Lowen, I couldn't stop reading 𝘚𝘰 𝘉𝘦 𝘐𝘵. Even though seeing the bits of dinner that sometimes gets stuck in my son's braces doesn't turn my stomach as much as parts of this story did 😉

Thank you Bren for your fantastic review that motivated me to read this!!
chan ☆
this is not what i would call... good

reading the romance finalists for the 2019 goodreads choice awards

KAS
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

C.R.A.Z.Y. To! The! Hilt!

CoHo has one vivid imagination, and I for one, am glad she shared this ‘way out there’ creative plot line with the rest of us.

Let me tell you there were so many “What the what?” moments, I had to keep reminding myself I wasn’t reading a Stephen King or Greer Hendricks novel.

I really wouldn’t put this in the romance category, albeit plenty of sex scenes are a plenty. It is totally more af a psychological thriller.

Now you might be saying to yourself, ‘But this is Colleen
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
the queen of butterflies, rainbow heartbeats and chocolately warm book hugs is writing a psychological thriller
...
you don't even understand how ready i am for this

...

Susanne  Strong
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read
3.85 Stars* (rounded up)

Well Darn It! This novel didn’t quite live up to the Hype.

“Verity” is a novel that I’ve seen crazy review after crazy review for and after a while, the hype got to both me and my book buddy, such that we decided to make it our New Year’s read. Admittedly, this book is, in fact, Whack (and entertaining at that) - however, I expected the ending to blow me away but after all the insane reviews I read, it was just kind of like “wah wah.”

“Verity” is my first novel by Colleen
Julie
Verity by Colleen Hoover is a 2018 publication.
Unlike so many rabid fans of this author, I have not read, to my knowledge, a single book by Colleen Hoover. (Although I did find one of her books languishing on my Kindle recently)

I see so many rave reviews for her novels, and some of them seem like books I would probably like, but for some reason I continue to associate her with YA books, which is not my favorite genre. But, when I saw this book on Kindle Unlimited and read the synopsis, I was i
Irina
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What did I just read? 😲
My brain is still trying to process this book.
I just can't believe it. Nope.
Debra
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a book with some bite! It also gives new meaning to the term "if at first, you don't succeed, try, try again."

Colleen Hoover has created yet another highly readable, captivating, and fast read that is quite different from her other books.

Lowen Ashleigh is a struggling author who is dealing with the recent loss of her mother and the loss of a home when a writing job comes at just the right moment! Bestselling author, Verity Crawford, injured in an accident is not able to complete her succe
Joey R.
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars —- I decided to read “Verity” by Colleen Hoover after seeing it had a full 5 star rating on Amazon with almost 2000 reviews. I never heard of Colleen Hoover, and when I discovered she primarily wrote romance novels, I almost didn’t read the book. After reading a plot summary and a few of the rave reviews I decided to give it a shot. After reading this book in less than 4 days, I can tell you Hoover is the real deal. The story is told from the perspective of Lowen, a struggling author, ...more
K.A. Tucker
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't had a visceral reaction like this to a book in years.
This was a very different style for Colleen Hoover and I devoured it last night (unplanned. I was exhausted and only planned on reading a chapter or two.) It was hard to read at times and I did not see the ending coming, which is rare for me.
But, in typical Hoover style, she gives you a security blanket at the end, to help mend your heart.
If you read thrillers, you should read this one.
If you don't read thrillers, suck it up and r
Sara
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What (and I cannot stress this enough) the fuck.

I flew through this book in one sitting, it was that good!
Felicia
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Ode To Colleen Hoover

Hoover is in a category all her own when it comes to modern romance with a twist. You see, in case you've never indulged in a Hoover novel, she always has a "hook" (if you're a musician or music lover you'll know exactly what I mean). At some point in most of her novels you will inevitably sit up and go "wooooahhh what in the actual fuck just happened?".

She can do it with just one sentence, like with the book Hopeless. The scene where Holder reveals the truth to Sky. I me

• The Guest List
  • Home Before Dark
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
See top shelves…
International and #1 New York Times bestselling author of romance, YA, thriller, women's fiction and paranormal romance.

I don't like to be confined to one genre. If you put me in a box, I'll claw my way out.

My social media username is @colleenhoover pretty much everywhere except my email, which is colleenhooverbooks@gmail.com

Founder of www.thebookwormbox.com charity and Book Bonanza.

Articles featuring this book

“I think the idea of me is better than the reality of me.” 103 likes
“I wasn’t heroic. I wasn’t simple. I was difficult. An emotionally challenging puzzle he wasn’t up for solving.” 61 likes