Start by marking “Magus of the Library, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Magus of the Library, Vol. 2

Magus of the Library, Vol. 2

(Magus of the Library #2)

Ambition Tested

Theo has set out from his hometown on a journey to the great city of Aftzaak with three goals: to see the city he's longed for his whole life, to take the test to become a Kafna, and to return the book lent to him by Sedona seven years earlier--the book that changed his life. The journey is difficult and the road long, but the world is filled with things for
Published September 24th 2019 by Kodansha Comics (first published November 7th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Magus of the Library, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magus of the Library, Vol. 2

Start your review of Magus of the Library, Vol. 2
F.D. Gross
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
What can I say, in between other larger novels, this next installment in the manga world has been a relaxing treat, following in the foot steps of Theo, the pointy-eared, Kafna bound boy. Many years has passed since Kafna arrived at this town to save the day, and it is because of their influence, a new spark of interest, already shadowed by his insane love for books, has caused him to take a journey of a life time. A pilgrimage to the central library where all students willing to take the test g ...more
Dani
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so great! All the feels!
A unique fantasy traveling story packed with life lessons and friendship. The artwork is beautiful and detailed. I really can't recommend this sweet story enough! So happy I picked this up!
Nicolo
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The world building in this volume is amazing.

Theo has come to the age where he can take the kafna exam and goes on a journey to the central library city. Along the way, his stops exposes him to town and cities larger than his own and he meets new friends in the process. The reader get to travel along with Theo in a nigh immersive experience as the author describes each noteworthy stop with a wonderful illustration and backstory behind it.

This story is really good and the translation is even comp
Kirsten
Superb. The art and story are even better than the first volume!
Katie Florida
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Theo and all the friends he meets along the way are so endearing!!
Allie
Excellent! Great story and amazing illustrations.
John Wiswell
Volume 2 feels like a bridge book. Volume 1 gave us the events that changed Theo’s childhood and put him on the path to becoming a librarian and trying to make his magical world more caring. It was deeply charming. In Volume 2, we’re supposed to get used to him as a young adult who is headed to take the exam so he can enter the holy order of librarians.

Mitsu Izumi draws some beautiful locations for Theo’s trip. However, the chapter-length stories are stale. He’s helping bratty characters realiz
Douglas Cootey
Slow, but Steady.

Art: ★★★★☆
Story: ★★★☆☆

This was a competent volume, but it lacked the focus and power of the first volume. Groundwork was laid for future developments, and the future cast was introduced, but the journey felt like side-quests to me. Upon reconsideration, this series reminded me quite a bit of Bride's Story by Kaoru Mori. Exemplary art, sumptuous world building, and a story that sometimes feels like it's more about the world than the main character. That being said, I still enjo
Holly Rose
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, favorites
I've never enjoyed a manga this much before. This entire series so far has captivated and enthralled me entirely. It was all I could think about for hours after finishing it! I'm waiting in eager anticipation for the next volume, which I ordered immediately after finishing this one. This series is worth every single moment and more, I was distressed when I turned the page and it said, "to be continued..."
Here are some reasons why I love this series:
(yikes, I wrote about 450 words and then the p
H
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
The main character of this series has grown and is now attempting to sit the examination to become a kafna, the librarian of their world. He meets other potentials on the road to the city that contains the great library, including a rabbity-creature that seems to be more than it looks like. There are hints that he has a destiny and will change their world somehow.

Theo, the hero of the books, is a "child of amity," a term coined by a noted social scientist. It take the place of the harsh moniker
Hope
Apr 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a book about librarians and old ways of preserving books etc.
This book didn't make me reach for it like other ones do, but it's still excellent. I guess part of the reason why I didn't read it all in one gulp was that it's broken down into short side adventures as this character goes on one long trek. Maybe that's why it didn't grab and not let go. Also the blocks of text at the beginning of each chapter were sometimes a slog, show don't tell if it's a drawn medium story!
Nah but yeah it's
Brian
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written so well

I haven't seen both basic, and complicated, themes written to be so entertaining, joyful, realistic AND education in a long time. These manga are pretty exceptional so far. Plus the art is pretty fantastic as well. I love how the transition between chapters is done in almost like encyclopedia pages. Reminds me a little of the bonus material in Blissful Land that I loved so much.
Chris Gifford
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really about life and adventure. Theo meets a lot of people and helps out a rare animal that has been beaten. Make is to the Central Library and completes the first segment of the exam. His friends help and encourage him through this part of his journey. His adventure has begone. Looking forward to vol 3 & 4.
Brent Newhall
I'm impressed at how quickly the story progresses. Without getting into spoilers, suffice to say that our hero Theo (now 13) spends this volume travelling to the capital city on his journey to become a librarian. We get to see how he's matured and more of the world, which continues to be rendered in drop-dead gorgeous detail. ...more
Rebo
This volume more than made up for the last one. Tons of world building, and the art here felt perfect and like I was looking at a travel guide for a real place. Amazing. Also, the story felt more rich here... I still think Theo is a bit dull as a main character, but I really enjoyed this and was eager to jump into the next one.
Tabrizia
I just everything about this book and this series! I completely identify with Theo. It made we want to cry but also root for Theo to succeed. But most of all, this series really shows the love and appreciation that people have for books and for libraries. Cannot wait for volume 3!
Sora
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is getting more interesting and the art is also very lush and detailed (outstanding) even more than volume 1.

Can't wait to read the rest!!!
I wish Kodansha would release it every 2 months.
Mary
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it

The story is still going strong and the art is still amazing. I ended up getting a copy of the first volume to send to my niece Meagan for her 11th birthday. She's a voracious reader too I hear. I hope she likes it too!
Natalie S
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one more than the last. I of course love the book/library theme, but I also love how much they focus on acceptance. They put a lot of effort into having different cultures and showing the importance of them, and respect we should have towards each.
Randy Thompson
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously underrated

This has to have some of the best artwork I've ever seen I mean Theo is kinda a gentle badass and the scene of him reliving a fond memory little him crying was so well done and genuinely heart touching eleven out of ten
Rachel
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great continuation. Adventure, learning, building a great story world. The characters are also great too. How they grow and who they are. Looking forward to volume 3.
Yami
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the art and the story, and the fact that I actually went to real bookstore and I saw it a manga page is amazing
Michelle
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics-comics
Very fun!
Sam
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Read as part of Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon Oct 2019* ...more
アレツクス コツト
The beautiful illustrations and storytelling continue to capture me. I love the self motivation the hero has due to all the hard work he has had to do and endure.
Adriane
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Love. It is a lot of reading for a manga, but I can't wait until #3 comes out. ...more
ReadingFrog
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Anthony Chan
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
this has become my new favorite thing in the world! the scenery drawings and the two page spreads are immaculate. don't sleep on this ppl i swear to god! ...more
✨just kylee.✨
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SoOOoo good! (view spoiler) ...more
Heather
Mar 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
This series was not as mystical as I had hoped it to be, I couldn't get through volume 2. I won't be picking up the next. ...more

• Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 6
  • 薬屋のひとりごと 1 [Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 1] (The Apothecary Diaries [Nekokurage], #1)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 7 [Tongari Bōshi no Atelier 7]
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 5 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 5] (Witch Hat Atelier, #5)
  • 薬屋のひとりごと 2 [Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 2] (The Apothecary Diaries [Nekokurage], #2)
  • Beyond the Clouds, Tome 3 (Beyond the Clouds, #3)
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 4 [Tongari Boushi no Atelier 4] (Witch Hat Atelier, #4)
  • 本好きの下剋上~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~第一部 II 「本がないなら作ればいい!」(Honzuki no Gekokujou) Manga Vol 2
  • A Witch's Printing Office, Vol. 1
  • 本好きの下剋上~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~第一部 I「本がないなら作ればいい!」 (Honzuki no Gekokujou) Manga Vol 1
  • とんがり帽子のアトリエ 3 [Tongari bōshi no Atelier 3]
  • Beyond the Clouds, Tome 2 (Beyond the Clouds, #2)
  • Beyond the Clouds, Tome 1 (Beyond the Clouds, #1)
  • Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 2
  • The Golden Sheep, Vol. 2
  • The Golden Sheep, Vol. 3
  • Witch Hat Atelier, Vol. 1
  • 青のフラッグ 3 [Ao no Flag 3]

Magus of the Library (5 books)
  • Magus of the Library, Vol. 1
  • 圕の大魔術師 3 [Toshokan no Daimajutsushi 3] (Magus of the Library, #3)
  • Magus of the Library, Vol. 4
  • 圕の大魔術師 5 [Toshokan no Daimajutsushi 5] (Magus of the Library, #5)