Start by marking “Breathing Makes It Better: A Book for Sad Days, Mad Days, Glad Days, and All the Feelings In-Between” as Want to Read:

An engaging and interactive story showing children ages 3-6 the power of breath when dealing with new and difficult emotions.

Read aloud and breathe along with this sweet story teaching children how to navigate powerful emotions like anger, fear, sadness, confusion, anxiety, and loneliness. With rhythmic writing and engaging illustrations, Breathing Makes It Better guides
Published September 3rd 2019 by Bala Kids Hc

To ask other readers questions about Breathing Makes It Better, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathing Makes It Better

Start your review of Breathing Makes It Better: A Book for Sad Days, Mad Days, Glad Days, and All the Feelings In-Between
La Coccinelle
This book teaches young children to focus on their breathing when they're feeling strong emotions. It's a nice introduction to mindfulness, with cute illustrations and catchy rhymes to repeat when you're feeling sad, angry, scared, or alone. There are also some simple breathing exercises at the back of the book that are perfect for kids (or for anyone who needs to take a moment and just breathe).

One thing that bothers me, though, is that this is yet another picture book where the illustrator
Jennifer Fischer
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Breathing Makes it Better is a picture book that describes how breathing can help children experience and overcome a variety of emotions. This book begins with an illustration of six different children with a variety of emotions visible on their faces. The text normalizes experiencing emotions by stating that everybody alive experiences different feelings and emotions at different times. Each child from the illustration then has four pages devoted to their feelings and emotions. The first page ...more
Sonja
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that will help a child feel better on their sad days, mad days, glad days and all the feelings in-between. It is a book for adults to read and take a breath. Illustrations are great.
Stacy
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BREATHING MAKES IT BETTER by Christopher Willard and Wendy O’Leary captures the emotional range of a child and how the act of breathing in and out can help calm their moods. I have read a lot of books like this for my own kids, for Girl Scouts, and just in general. The most important part of this book, in my opinion, is the idea of a mantra that a child can repeat to themselves when they get upset to help center them back, along with the actual breathing exercises. Our kids are in a tough spot ...more
Allie
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a copy as an ARC via NetGalley

This book is well conceived in combining the idea of an illustrated children's book and meditative practices. I think it is both adorable and helpful with accessible stress management tools for kids of all ages. I liked that different scenarios where kids might be overwhelmed by their feelings are illustrated and how to deal with them. A great way for kids to feel validated and learn better strategies for dealing with big emotions. It could be
Tara
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a little bit above the attention and comprehension levels of my 4 year old, but would probably be nice for children a couple of years older. The illustrations are adorable, and it was calming for me. It focuses on children and their feelings and how breathing can help then work through those feelings in a practical way. The helpful mindful breathing tips at the end of the book were especially helpful.
Kelly Knapp
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children, parents and teachers
Recommended to Kelly by: Won as part of the Goodread First reads giveaway
This is a cute picture book, with vivid illustrations and short prose and poetry, alternating and the poetry rhymes.

The subject is the universal human emotions, which aren't always comfortable. Because feelings are universal, the illustrator uses multicultural drawings.

Discussion ideas are included.
Mel
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, reviews
Easy to understand book written for younger children for breathing better and relaxing while dealing with emotions. Has exercises included at the end if you would like to try a few with your child. Nicely illustrated and soothing. I won this book in a goodreads giveaway thank you.
annyeongbada
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"when i'm alone, be still.... be here.
i stand like a tree, in the woods tall and free.
breathe in, breathe out-peace is near."
Arpita Shrivastava
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kids-books
This is a super helpful book for my 4-year-old. The language is so easy to understand for a child. I really like the way it is written and it begins as since we all are alive, we have feelings and emotions. The author has tried to explain to kids that we all sometimes feel happy, silly, joyful and calm and sometimes we feel sad, angry, scared and alone. The later ones can make us really uncomfortable. If we watch and really notice feelings come and go just like our breathing.

This book
Emily Myhren
Sep 20, 2019

• Sulwe
  • Once Upon a Goat
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • What Color Is Night?
  • Lubna and Pebble
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
  • The Last Tree
CHRISTOPHER WILLARD, PSYD, is a clinical psychologist and consultant specializing in bringing mindfulness into education and psychotherapy. He lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts, teaches at Harvard Medical School, and leads workshops worldwide. For more, visit drchristopherwillard.com.