Start by marking “Señorita Mariposa” as Want to Read:
Señorita Mariposa

Señorita Mariposa

A captivating and child-friendly look at the extraordinary journey that monarch butterflies take each year from Canada to Mexico; with a text in both English and Spanish.

Rhyming text and lively illustrations showcase the epic trip taken by the monarch butterflies. At the end of each summer, these international travelers leave Canada to fly south to Mexico for the winter--
Published August 6th 2019 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Señorita Mariposa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Señorita Mariposa

Start your review of Señorita Mariposa
La Coccinelle
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, non-fiction
This rhyming picture book is almost like a song. It traces the journey of a monarch butterfly as she flies south from Canada to Mexico. The text is in English and Spanish; the verses are in English (with Spanish translations) and the "choruses" are in Spanish (with English translations). I don't speak Spanish, but I found it quite easy to read the Spanish text and figure out what many of the words meant. So this might be a good book for learning a bit of a new language. (Another book in a simila ...more
Beth
Beautiful illustrations of the amazing migration of the monarch butterfly. So, what could make it even better… A fabulous bi-lingual storytelling highlighting both the English and Spanish adventure of Senorita Mariposa. I found it fascinating and can’t wait to share this story with my grand daughter.

I received this ARC copy of Senorita Mariposa from Nancy Paulsen Books - Penguin Publishing Group. This is my honest and voluntary review. Senorita Mariposa is set for publication August 6, 2019.
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
The illustrations are incredible and for someone who’s scared of butterflies (I know, Don’t @ Me) the illustrator made them look so cute! I really loved the spread where there are kids in a garden playing with the butterflies, showcasing kids of all walks of life. Truly a lovely PB.
Jason
A book based on a song about migrating Monarch butterflies. I can usually take or leave picture books based on songs, but I like how the bilingual text is presented and can see it being a good language learning aid for young readers.
Abby Johnson
This bright, buoyant book uses bouncing, rhyming text to show the migration of monarch butterflies from the North down to Mexico where they hibernate. With text in both English and Spanish (switching back and forth between which language is the rhyme and which is the translation), this book is a celebration of all things monarch and will be a hit for classrooms studying monarchs or talking about butterflies.
Yolanda
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Nancy Paulsen Books and Edelweiss+ for giving me an opportunity to read this DRC.

This book is gorgeous. The illustrations are wonderful and the book rhymes and is very lyrical, reminding me of a song. I have always found the story of the monarch butterfly migration so fascinating. It is a story that anyone, child or adult can relate to because it touches on many themes of inspiration and motivation. It is truly amazing how a small butterfly can travel so far

T
Andrew
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful bilingual picture book that shows one little Monarch butterfly's great big journey, all across the different landscapes of North America! I hadn't realized just how far these little insects travel on their migration! The warmth and excitement will flutter right off the pages into your heart.
Margie
Aug 13, 2019 added it
Shelves: book-a-day
Early this spring along the road taken by my canine companion and me on our daily walks were the shells of milkweed pods among the dried grasses and leaves. For the most part, the seeds were still snuggled inside. For a gal with the goal of having a field of milkweed for the monarch butterflies, this discovery was pure gold.

The numbers of these marvelous, brightly colored creatures, in recent years, is decreasing due to climate change and loss of habitat. We, as humans, are at the ro
Mary
Written in rhyming text featuring both English and Spanish, this is the story of the migration journey of monarch butterflies from Canada to Mexico. When reading this book, you can hear Gundersheimer's musical talents peeking through, as his writing takes you on a very lyrical journey (the book is actually based off of a song from his "Chocolalala" album!). Mexican illustrator Marcos Almada Rivero’s illustrations are colorful and happy, engaging even the youngest of audiences in this story. The ...more
Mandy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Childrens bilingual picture book. I sought out this book because I am looking for bilingual materials and have enjoyed several of Mister G's music CDs. This is a beautiful story of the monarch migration. It is written in verse, with 4 lines to a page, with each line translated underneath. Since the rhymes don't always carry over to the other language, sometimes the rhyme is in English and sometimes in Spanish. The illustrations are stunning-- full-page, very colorful, and featuring a very divers ...more
Bookish
I wasn't familiar with the song that inspired this picture book rendition, but I can see how the bilingual text would suit itself to reading aloud and singing along. This is a cheerful interpretation of the arduous journey undertaken annually by the monarch butterfly, with gentle environmental undertones.

Simple guitar chords would've been logical to include on the blank endpages, if this gets a reprint.
Julie Kirchner
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Simple text about the migration of a monarch butterfly written in English and Spanish. I truly enjoyed this book, partially because I used to raise monarch butterflies as part of my teaching curriculum and I find the story of their migration to be unbelievably inspirational. I hope our human actions do not cause these beautiful creatures to disappear. Great back matter.
Gabrielle Stoller
Oh my goodness. I need the right time to do this in storytime. It's SUCH a great book! I truly love how it is an English/Spanish read and not just a different language word here and there. The illustrations are also a thing of beauty.
Emma
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the bilingual text and I absolutely adore the illustrations!! Just beautiful and sweet and amazing colors!
Y.Poston
Love everything about this book!
Especially the way it goes back &
forth in English & Spanish
Gina
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great pictures, and can be used in lessons on geography, biology, conservation, and habitats. Features diverse children without making a big deal out of it.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very visually pretty bilingual picture book about the butterfly migration. And there's a song!
Shauna Yusko
Successful switching between English and Spanish
Pam  Page
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Beautiful illustrations with rhyming text. Shows Spanish and English.
Edward Sullivan
A bilingual celebration of the migration of the monarch butterfly.
Great Books
Nov 07, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: 20-ages-3-5
Reviewer #1
Stephanie
B-E-A-U-tiful.
Aliza Werner
Lush, colorful illustrations depicting the monarchs migration to Mexico each year. Poetic and bilingual (Spanish and English used together, every other line).
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Marcie
This song made into a book is beautifully illustrated. Don't miss all the background and a beautiful performance at https://mistergsongs.com/mariposa-pro...

Don't miss the cover reveal!
Crystal