Start by marking “Señorita Mariposa” as Want to Read:
Señorita Mariposa

Señorita Mariposa

A captivating and child-friendly look at the extraordinary journey that monarch butterflies take each year from Canada to Mexico; with a text in both English and Spanish.

Rhyming text and lively illustrations showcase the epic trip taken by the monarch butterflies. At the end of each summer, these international travelers leave Canada to fly south to Mexico for the winter--a
Published August 6th 2019 by Nancy Paulsen Books

To ask other readers questions about Señorita Mariposa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Señorita Mariposa

Start your review of Señorita Mariposa
Tina Haigler
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Review to come :)
La Coccinelle
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, non-fiction
This rhyming picture book is almost like a song. It traces the journey of a monarch butterfly as she flies south from Canada to Mexico. The text is in English and Spanish; the verses are in English (with Spanish translations) and the "choruses" are in Spanish (with English translations). I don't speak Spanish, but I found it quite easy to read the Spanish text and figure out what many of the words meant. So this might be a good book for learning a bit of a new language. (Another book in a simila ...more
Beth
Beautiful illustrations of the amazing migration of the monarch butterfly. So, what could make it even better… A fabulous bi-lingual storytelling highlighting both the English and Spanish adventure of Senorita Mariposa. I found it fascinating and can’t wait to share this story with my grand daughter.

I received this ARC copy of Senorita Mariposa from Nancy Paulsen Books - Penguin Publishing Group. This is my honest and voluntary review. Senorita Mariposa is set for publication August 6, 2019.
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
The illustrations are incredible and for someone who’s scared of butterflies (I know, Don’t @ Me) the illustrator made them look so cute! I really loved the spread where there are kids in a garden playing with the butterflies, showcasing kids of all walks of life. Truly a lovely PB.
YeseniaI
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great introduction for k-1 students about the butterfly migration from Canada and US to Mexico. The beautifully illustrated book treks the butterfly on its 3,000 mile journey. The bilingual rhyming book is perfect addition for any bilingual classroom. It is a beautiful and lively book that encourages love, appreciation and care for the world around us.

The book is written by Latin award winner, Mr. G. I found the book on YouTube and appreciated the read aloud by the author and son
Jason
A book based on a song about migrating Monarch butterflies. I can usually take or leave picture books based on songs, but I like how the bilingual text is presented and can see it being a good language learning aid for young readers.
Moonkiszt
Illustrated with bright, bold colors with lots of contrast, we read this book in our grandma reads session today. . .

Focused primarily on the life cycle of the butterfly (mariposa), the secondary focus was on language. Each line was shown in English followed by Spanish, or Spanish followed by English. I rarely get to use my Spanish in my day to day life, so this was fun and surprised my crew who think they know all there is to know about me.

A sweet read, and the kids enjoyed it. All took a quick
Abby Johnson
This bright, buoyant book uses bouncing, rhyming text to show the migration of monarch butterflies from the North down to Mexico where they hibernate. With text in both English and Spanish (switching back and forth between which language is the rhyme and which is the translation), this book is a celebration of all things monarch and will be a hit for classrooms studying monarchs or talking about butterflies.
Yolanda
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Nancy Paulsen Books and Edelweiss+ for giving me an opportunity to read this DRC.

This book is gorgeous. The illustrations are wonderful and the book rhymes and is very lyrical, reminding me of a song. I have always found the story of the monarch butterfly migration so fascinating. It is a story that anyone, child or adult can relate to because it touches on many themes of inspiration and motivation. It is truly amazing how a small butterfly can travel so far

The story alternates with
Andrew
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful bilingual picture book that shows one little Monarch butterfly's great big journey, all across the different landscapes of North America! I hadn't realized just how far these little insects travel on their migration! The warmth and excitement will flutter right off the pages into your heart. ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Senorita Mariposa by Ben Gundersheimer, illustrated by Marcos Almada Rivero. PICTURE BOOK. Nancy Paulsen Books (Penguin), 2019. $18. 9781524740702 0

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Monarch butterflies rule the sky. Tiny, yet able to travel the 3000 miles to Mexico, Senorita Mariposa is charming. The trees, bumble bees, a moose and more make the journey really amazing. I love the colorful butterflies and the variety of biomes. This book has a wonderful collection of anim
Rosalind Ferguson
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Justification: Tejas Star
This book was on the award list for the Tejas Star, and caught my eye because of the bilingual structure of the story along with the ever-fascinating science theme of animal life cycles.

Evaluation:
Brillant, bold illustrations make this book a winner right away. The exclusive use of two-page spreads with fully colored backgrounds gives a visual sweep across the pages to reflect the long, ongoing journey of the central character as she heads south from Canada through urban
Emily Sauther
Señiorita Mariposa, while definitely for young readers, is a joyful and valuable story about the migration of butterflies. This book is told simultaneously in English and Spanish, with one language being bolded and one language displayed smaller underneath. The primary language of the text in bold switches from page to page giving equal weight to the importance of both languages in the story. Ben Gundersheimer (mister G) who authored the book has apparently been dubbed “a bilingual rockstar” by ...more
Margie
Aug 13, 2019 added it
Shelves: book-a-day
Early this spring along the road taken by my canine companion and me on our daily walks were the shells of milkweed pods among the dried grasses and leaves. For the most part, the seeds were still snuggled inside. For a gal with the goal of having a field of milkweed for the monarch butterflies, this discovery was pure gold.

The numbers of these marvelous, brightly colored creatures, in recent years, is decreasing due to climate change and loss of habitat. We, as humans, are at the root of their
Mary
Written in rhyming text featuring both English and Spanish, this is the story of the migration journey of monarch butterflies from Canada to Mexico. When reading this book, you can hear Gundersheimer's musical talents peeking through, as his writing takes you on a very lyrical journey (the book is actually based off of a song from his "Chocolalala" album!). Mexican illustrator Marcos Almada Rivero’s illustrations are colorful and happy, engaging even the youngest of audiences in this story. The ...more
Marisol Alvarez-Tovar
Senorita Mariposa is a beautiful book written in both English and Spanish by Ben Gundersheimer and Illustrated by Marcos Almada Rivero. The story truly represents the journey of the super generation of monarch butterflies. In this book, Senorita Mariposa is traveling south in search of a warmer place. While making this journey, Senorita Mariposa brings joy to many.

The illustrations are very appealing, and many readers will be able to see themselves represented in them. As Senorita Mariposa trav
Mandy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Childrens bilingual picture book. I sought out this book because I am looking for bilingual materials and have enjoyed several of Mister G's music CDs. This is a beautiful story of the monarch migration. It is written in verse, with 4 lines to a page, with each line translated underneath. Since the rhymes don't always carry over to the other language, sometimes the rhyme is in English and sometimes in Spanish. The illustrations are stunning-- full-page, very colorful, and featuring a very divers ...more
Bookish
I wasn't familiar with the song that inspired this picture book rendition, but I can see how the bilingual text would suit itself to reading aloud and singing along. This is a cheerful interpretation of the arduous journey undertaken annually by the monarch butterfly, with gentle environmental undertones.

Simple guitar chords would've been logical to include on the blank endpages, if this gets a reprint.
Virginia Duran
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated book is written in rhyming text to show the journey the monarch butterflies make from Canada to Mexico. It is written in English and Spanish. I loved the colorful illustrations. It talks about the monarch butterflies migrating.

This would be a great book to read when learning about the life cycle of a butterfly. I would recommend for grades K-1. I found this on YouTube read by the author.
Julie
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Simple text about the migration of a monarch butterfly written in English and Spanish. I truly enjoyed this book, partially because I used to raise monarch butterflies as part of my teaching curriculum and I find the story of their migration to be unbelievably inspirational. I hope our human actions do not cause these beautiful creatures to disappear. Great back matter.
Bethe
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bookaday #77. Energetic illustrations, mostly rhyming text in English, with Spanish translations, relate people’s joy of the monarch butterfly and the valiant migration they undertake. Author note explains more about this daunting trip. I didn’t know if took several generations of butterflies to complete the trip to Mexico!
Gabrielle Stoller
Oh my goodness. I need the right time to do this in storytime. It's SUCH a great book! I truly love how it is an English/Spanish read and not just a different language word here and there. The illustrations are also a thing of beauty. ...more
Melissa
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A bilingual story, but it would be easier if you already know more than a few words in Spanish. There is not a pronunciation guide and I would have rather had the two languages separated as the switch between made it harder to pay attention to the story.
Jessica (Spooky KidLit & We Who Walk Here, Walk Alone)
Charming bilingual verse and warm, gentle illustrations chronicle the miraculous migration of monarch butterflies across North America, encouraging young readers to protect the planet and appreciate nature's marvels. ...more
Edward Sullivan
A bilingual celebration of the migration of the monarch butterfly.
Shauna Yusko
Successful switching between English and Spanish
Pam  Page
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Beautiful illustrations with rhyming text. Shows Spanish and English.
Emma
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the bilingual text and I absolutely adore the illustrations!! Just beautiful and sweet and amazing colors!
Stephanie
B-E-A-U-tiful.
Gina
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great pictures, and can be used in lessons on geography, biology, conservation, and habitats. Features diverse children without making a big deal out of it.

• Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Julián at the Wedding (Julián, #2)
  • My Papi Has a Motorcycle
  • Bear Came Along
  • La Princesa and the Pea
  • Honeysmoke: A Story of Finding Your Color
  • The Okay Witch (The Okay Witch, #1)
  • Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • ¡Vamos! Let’s Go Eat
  • My Cat Looks Like My Dad
  • Moth
  • 16 Words: William Carlos Williams & "The Red Wheelbarrow"
  • Ready or Not, Woolbur Goes to School!
  • Mr. Scruff
  • The Bell Rang
  • Click, Clack, Quack to School!
  • Lola Dutch When I Grow Up