Start by marking “Unsolved Disappearances in the Great Smoky Mountains” as Want to Read:
Unsolved Disappearances in the Great Smoky Mountains

Unsolved Disappearances in the Great Smoky Mountains

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  288 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
This is a thoroughly researched, factual, non-fiction book. There is a map in the book where people disappeared, and visitors to the Great Smoky Mountains can visit the sites.

Three people, Pauline Melton, Trenny Gibson, and Dennis Martin, vanished without a trace during daylight, from different locations, on different dates, and surrounded by other people. These disappeara
Published September 1st 1998 by Suntop

Be the first to ask a question about Unsolved Disappearances in the Great Smoky Mountains

Tom Byron
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very small book but I give it 4 stars as it is well researched and concise. It covers a few older cases of vanishings of people on or near the Appalachian trail. Most of the cases I heard about on Coast To Coast AM and wanted to look into more. One case in particular regards the eerie situation of a 16 year old girl that went on a field trip with her school classmates to The smoky mountains and never got back on the bus when it was time to leave, everyone remembered seeing her on the trail at ...more
Megan
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: National Park tourists
I read this quick little book pretty much one evening after work-- it's a fast read without much TruTV-type fanfare. I guess I was only disappointed because these disappearances weren't more, oh, say X-Files or Twin Peaks black lodge-y. Did I expect that, No, but a warped mind can only hope. In fact, most of these sad stories were probable kidnappings, natural deaths, or in one case an accidental shooting. Also the stories are mostly long-ago disappearances. One excellent thing, however, this wi ...more
Amber Massengill
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I purchased this book over the weekend while camping in the smokies. It is a really quick read and was very interesting. The writing is okay, but the editing in the book is terrible. Please fix your editing problems before hitting the "publish" button. Seriously, please. Aside from that, I really liked the book and loved learning something about the mystery of the smoky mountains.
Carolina
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is well-researched and mildly interesting if you know the Great Smoky Mountain National Park well enough (many of the stories capture your attention, but lack resolution because there isn't a real-life resolution); however, the writing, editing, and even the formatting of the book are lacking in a distracting way.
Kelli
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this collection of disappearance stories fascinating. I grew up near the smokies. And love those mountains so much.
The authors did a thorough job researching and making inquiries for each story. Even written in 1998 and updated in 2009, the writing feels fresh and I am pretty sure most mysteries written about haven't changed much since the 2009 rewrite.

I would definitely recommend this book for those who grew up in the area or love to visit the smokies. It's heartbreaking but also a lo
Cindy
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was written in 1998, updated in 2001. A quick Google search indicates that 4 mysterious disappearances are still unsolved.
Eric Rudolph was captured in 2003. A solution to the 2 "puzzlers" was discovered years later.

So, this is a book you can buy at the gift shop in any Visitor Center in the Smokies. Looking back, I can see why I bought it. The cover makes it seem very interesting. However, you only get 7 stories. Some are written with great detail. Chapters 2,3, & 4 have a lot of info
Barbara S.
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the Inside Out

I thought the book was fascinating, colorful and fast paced. Living in my father's family's home towns in North Carolinian via Phildelphia I could relate to the areas described. I did think the last section of the book was not germaine to the first 3/4 of the books and should have been sperate books.
Valerie
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Found this one in the cabin where I was for the eclipse. Fitting story for a fitting place. I enjoyed learning about the history. I wish that they could solve the mysteries and find closure for these people. Interesting read.
Janet Wilson
Repetitive and poorly written. The characters whether real or not were stereotypical and insulting and not realistic. In fact I don't believe the book was non fiction but made up fiction written by someone with a poor imagination.
Jessica D Kaufman
Dec 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mildly interesting info, don't waste money on it

Written as though by a middle school book report, this book is not worth spending money on. Look on the internet for the info.
JTrav
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and not a bad read

Some of these stories I've heard before and others not so much. Some of the stories are NOT unsolved and some of them are NOT disappearances. Maybe a better title would better describe the book. Each story has a different format and different appendices which makes for a somewhat confusing read. I did enjoy the cacophony of updates at the end of each story. Soon I intend to visit the grave so prominently featured by this book. I recommend this book but solely as a
David Ward
Unsolved Disappearances in the Great Smoky Mountains by Juanitta Baldwin (Suntop Press 1988) (976.889). Since the formation of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, visitors have occasionally disappeared without a trace from inside the park boundaries. Unless the person is located quickly, these searches for missing persons have often been well- remembered high-profile events. A number of these disappearances are profiled in this book including the suspected cause of the disappearence. Did the ...more
Paula
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book looked interesting at first glance. I guess it is interesting, in so far as a conglomeration of newspaper clippings and quickly scrawled notes as the library closes can be. Don’t be fooled, this isn’t an expertly spun yarn about small children disappearing like ghosts into the fog. The information is interesting, but it’s thrown together half-hazardly for the sake of pumping out words, not to catch and hold your interest. It’s repetitive and boring where it could be heart-wrenching and ...more
Janet Mueller
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I purchased this book while in North Carolina on vacation. Always interested in a mystery (the less graphic in violence or perversion, the better) I read this book in a casual manner. A chapter a day. I found myself lamenting the end of my reading, the book was much too short. The writing style was plain, but effective. I appreciated the updates the authors gave to each missing person story. It's was interesting to see the map of each incident, while thinking back to the actual areas we traveled ...more
Rachel
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick read that covered some serious subject matter. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I wish that the authors had caught some of their glaring grammatical errors, particularly given that this book is in its 14th edition. Still, I am glad I purchased it, particularly since I bought it at the Smokey Mountain National Park Sugarlands Visitor Center and all proceeds will help to support the park. Overall, it is an incredibly quick read, and its stories are very good.
Rita McDowell
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read.

Interesting information about the mysteries written about. some cases were so very sad while some made you really wonder what might have really happened in some of the case stories. I have been to the Great Smoky mountains and the beauty will take your breath away. but the mountains while majestically beauty they can be dangerous and hold their secrets well. Excellent written book!
Beth Withers
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it
My son's mother-in-law loaned this book to me. It is a quick read, and the stories do leave you wondering at times, but it's not an especially well-written book. The very first story, in my opinion, turns out not to be a mystery at all but rather an unhappy wife who leaves her husband. It was an ok book, though. I love the Smoky Mountains, so I enjoyed reading about the park and some of the mysteries within it.
chris hunter
Left me hanging

Really like where the book was going. I frequent many of the areas mentioned so it was very interesting to me. I would like to have seen the chapters and the victims more developed. A lot of research was put into this book. I feel it was rushed for a deadline or something of the sort
Cindy
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a fast read and very interesting. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star rating is because it was poorly edited.
The stories kept you in suspense and make you wonder who you could possibly run into on the trails.
Ali
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this probably around the time it first came out in 1998. I have to say I was much more impressed and scared then. The formatting was horrible on the Kindle, too. Sometimes I felt the stories contradicted themselves.
Jack
Sep 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but dated

I can't really fault the organization or the writing style of this book in any great degree. It is done much better than many other books of this type. I gave it only three stars because it would strongly benefit from a rewrite instead of just an update.
Stephen
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a good basic book on a few of the disappearances in the Smoky Mountains. It covers some old cases as well as a few of the newer ones. A couple of them have even been featured on Unsolved Mysteries.
Kathy Green
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I live near the Smoky Mt. this book was of special interest to me. It was very interesting. I had never heard of any of the weird and down right scary things that have happened in the Mountains. A good read.
Melissa Negri
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept you interested yet left you wanting to know more.

Kept you interested yet left you wanting to know more. I would recommend this to anyone who likes mysteries. Really liked the updates at therms of each section.
Ginger Keller
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading about the local mysteries

I liked this book a lot. I'm obsessed with local history and thoroughly enjoyed it! It makes me want to research the cases and find out what has happened since publication.
Al Sheppard
Interesting

I live in the area and was curious about the several missing people reported over the years. Not a bad job of research.
Michelle
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting topic but poorly written.
Hal H. Simon
Eh not so much

Twenty plus words to describe this book. ...even that's twenty words too much, good reading to fall asleep...blah blah blah
Sharon
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was so eerie and even years after reading it, I still am haunted by wondering what happened to these people!
DeAnn Thomas
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boo

Well written like a good story telling. I appreciate the extensive research of these mysterious disappearances. Spooky how one can disappear like that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Far Appalachia: Following the New River North
  • The Secret World of Walter Anderson
  • Coal River
  • My Life in Doha: Between Dream and Reality
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Stories
  • The United States of Appalachia: How Southern Mountaineers Brought Independence, Culture, and Enlightenment to America
  • Prescription: Murder! Volume 2: Authentic Cases From the Files of Alan Hynd
  • Something's Rising: Appalachians Fighting Mountaintop Removal
  • Above Top Secret: Uncover the Mysteries of the Digital Age
  • Beyond the White House: Waging Peace, Fighting Disease, Building Hope
  • Bear in the Back Seat II: Adventures of a Wildlife Ranger in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
  • Why Bernie Sanders Matters
  • Rutherford B. Hayes
  • Soldier: The Life of Colin Powell
  • Dome City Blues
  • Letters From The Looney Bin (Book 1)
  • Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99