Start by marking “Grow Your Soil!: Harness the Power of the Soil Food Web to Create Your Best Garden Ever” as Want to Read:

Growing awareness of the importance of soil health means that microbes are on the minds of even the most casual gardeners. After all, anyone who has ever attempted to plant a thriving patch of flowers or vegetables knows that what you grow is only as good as the soil you grow it in. It is possible to create and maintain rich, dark, crumbly soil that’s teeming with life, ...more
Published February 18th 2020 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published February 2nd 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Grow Your Soil!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grow Your Soil!

Start your review of Grow Your Soil!: Harness the Power of the Soil Food Web to Create Your Best Garden Ever
MissBecka
Whether you have a green thumb or have managed to kill a plastic plant...you will find help here.
There is so much information packed into these 176 pages.
You will learn how to get the most out of your garden by starting (quite literally) from the ground up.
The methods in here are not only natural & easy to incorporate, but some of them even make for less work (hello no more rototiller!).
Thanks to NetGalley and Storey Publishing for my DRC.
amanda
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love plants. I love flowers. I love pretty things.
Unfortunately they do not seem to love me very much.
I plant and they grow and that's it. They stall. They cease to grow. My flowers do not bloom. My plants wither and so does my soul. I cry in the darkness and I become another ghost to roam this cold, dark lonely world.
...
AND ALONG COMES THIS BOOK TO SAVE ME
Basically what I learned from this book is that I was doing everything wrong lol. Regarding soil, placing the seeds, and everything else.
Pam Dawling
• Size: 6 x 9
• Pages: 176
• Format: Paperback ISBN: 9781635862072
• Other formats: Ebook

If you are a beginner organic gardener, or you’re looking for a book for someone in that category, this book has a clear user-friendly approach. It won’t scare off newbies with too much detail.
Grow Your Soil! is an introduction to soil biology and gardening in
Beth
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great information presented in a fun, easy-to-read format (infographics, sidebars, tidbits, and fun prose). Fantastic resource for all gardeners, regardless of experience level!
Renee
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley2019
Grow Your Soil is such a well thought out and useful book! As gardeners, we spend so much time growing and caring for our plants, but often, the one thing overlooked is the health of the soil. The author focuses on letting nature take care of your soil, and while many of her suggestions were already part of my soil habits, some made me stop and think.
No rototilling? Well, that would be great and it turns out it is more harmful than helpful. No fertilizers needed( or very little)? Mulch and
Raising Rigby's
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grow Your Soil took me by surprise! I didn't think a book on soil would interest me so much, but the science behind it all is amazing. If only it was published sooner as this would be a great Christmas gift for my father in law. The illustrations on the chapters and little doodles are brilliant too.
Kirsten never has enough time
A hugely thorough look at soil, it's structure, and how to improve it. Discusses the different levels of soil from the microbacteria to the mulch to everything in between. Really really interesting and useful!
Moondust Moth
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of 'No-Waste Organic Gardening' by Shawna Coronado
SOIL. FOOD. WEB. This is an absolutely amazing gardening resource on the science of soil biology (soil makes up 1/3 of the surface of our planet!) which I feel is often overlooked and not understood. I'm 'lazy' and thus have a great love for efficient systems that also reduce harm to the environment (hello permaculture!), and this book helps me do just that. "Work smarter, not harder.", is my lazy-girl motto after all, and let's face it, gardening is endless work often made more difficult by ...more
Annie
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Grow Your Soil! is a tutorial and theory book for soil health and building by Diane Miessler. Due out 18th Feb 2020 from Storey, it's 176 pages and will be available in paperback and ebook formats.

This is such a fun and engaging book. The whole book is written around a metaphor for soil as a house. Each of the basic components are listed with tutorials for addressing the components (roof, walls, etc) and building them into a cohesive whole. For
Eleana Tyradelli
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read the ARC provided by the publishers through NetGalley.

A well-thought, comprehensive and user friendly no-fertilizer-gardening manual with lots of useful info for gardeners of any level. From soil microorganisms to mulch and compost tea, this book talk about all the things one might need to build a microbe-friendly soil.

Loved it and I'm definitely going to get a copy for my bookcase.
Nastasia
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have always imagined having a large garden filled with vegetables, flowers and everything in between but when I have tried I always fail miserably.
While reading Grow Your Soil I have realised that I haven't been taking care of my soil like I should. It all starts with the right soil! The right food for plants!
There is so much information on how to have a healthy, well looked after garden if you take care of the ground it grows in. There are so many useful tips, definitely a book I would gift
Andrea Wright
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Beautiful gardening book that is so full of information, including a good portion of science, yet fun and entertaining to read! I must own this and would recommend one to any gardener you know. I am interested to know if this is also a book that men would enjoy or if it its too soft and pretty looking as to deter from the actual science and info in it.
Annarella
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent gardening book. It mixes science with hints and it's useful for anyone interested in gardening.
Strongly recommended, it's a useful and interesting book.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Elizabeth
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this gardening book for incredible information, delivered with wit. It all starts with the soil, feed the soil to feed the plants. Filled great illustrations. Inspirational and topical. A book for all gardeners.
Red
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In GROW YOUR SOIL, Diane Messler states that gardening is like making magic. That statement tells me I’m going to love this book, because that’s how I feel. That said, after I finished the book, I went, “Whew!!! That’s a lot to remember!” There was a lot of important information in this book…and it took it a little farther than I was capable of wanting to know. As I sat here in the middle of winter reading it, I got a little depressed…I was already too late to start putting this new info to use. ...more
Aliya
Feb 04, 2020
Hannah
added it
Feb 13, 2020

• Garden Alchemy: 80 Recipes and concoctions for organic fertilizers, plant elixirs, potting mixes, pest deterrents, and more
  • Organic Gardening for Everyone: Homegrown Vegetables Made Easy - No Experience Required!
  • Gardening for Geeks: All the Science You Need for Successful Organic Gardening
  • Gardening Your Front Yard: Projects and Ideas for Big and Small Spaces
  • Mr. Nobody
  • Read To Your Toddler Every Day
  • Ocean Anatomy: The Curious Parts  and Pieces of the World under the Sea
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • Black & Decker The Book of Home How-To Complete Photo Guide to Outdoor Building: Decks - Sheds - Greenhouses & Garden Structures
  • In the Dark
  • Unforgiven (Fallen, #5)
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Creative Journaling: A Guide to Over 100 Techniques and Ideas for Amazing Dot Grid, Junk, Mixed Media, and Travel Pages
  • The Complete Book of Ferns: Indoors - Outdoors - Growing - Crafting - History & Lore
  • The Pollinator Victory Garden: Win the War on Pollinator Decline with Ecological Gardening; Attract and Support Bees, Beetles, Butterflies, Bats, and Other Pollinators
  • Saint X
  • No Mercy (Ellery Hathaway, #2)