Start by marking “Japanese Home Cooking: Simple Meals, Authentic Flavors” as Want to Read:
Japanese Home Cooking: Simple Meals, Authentic Flavors

Japanese Home Cooking: Simple Meals, Authentic Flavors

The essential guide to Japanese home cooking--the ingredients, techniques, and core recipes--for seasoned cooks and beginners who are craving authentic Japanese flavors.

The art of Japanese cooking lies in the twin appreciation of ingredients and process. Using high-quality, in-season ingredients in simple preparations is the way of Japanese home cooking that Sonoko Sakai p
Published November 19th 2019 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about Japanese Home Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Japanese Home Cooking

Start your review of Japanese Home Cooking: Simple Meals, Authentic Flavors
Chantal
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook-en, netgalley
A dream comes true with this beautiful book and lovely pictures. Everything is well explained, even the fundamentals and techniques of Japanese eating culture. The details this book gives is overwhelming in a positive way. You want every cooking book to be like this. A very easy read into Japanese cooking. Thank you Netgalley for giving me this book. Worth every 5 points.

This is a ARC from the publisher via Netgalley, which I got for an honest review.

Jill
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book. Lots of historical context and explanation of ingredients not common in the American kitchen. I’m not sure how much of the food I will attempt at home, but I’m excited to try making traditional dashi as a basis for soups.
Lisa
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Roost Books and Netgalley for a copy of Japanese Home Cooking by Sonoko Sakai for review. Available November 19/19 this book is perfect for those looking for authentic Japanese flavours at home.

Japanese Home Cooking is very detailed and includes recipes for the broths and sauces and creating all the amazing flavours found in authentic Japanese food. This book is not for a quick weekday dinner. I found the recipes detailed and well described but a little complicated. I love learning abo
Janet

The essential guide to Japanese home cooking--the ingredients, techniques, and over 100 recipes--for seasoned cooks and beginners who are craving authentic Japanese flavours.

Using high-quality, seasonal ingredients in simple preparations, Sonoko Sakai off
Chris
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book tells me how to cook Japanese food like my mom used to make.

I saw the picture of the non-sashimi chirashi zushi with the super thin pieces of nori on it and it took me back to delicious meals with my family.

I've got a batch of fukujinzuke in the fridge right now based on the recipe in this book.

I also plan to have a sushi hand roll party for 4-6 friends - it looks so fun and feels relatively easy (except for the shashimi rosettes - those look tricky).

The author's side articles on part
Emily Wilson
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Title: Japanese Home Cooking
Author: Sonoko Sakai
Publisher: Roost Books
Published: November 19, 2019

What a beautiful resource on Japanese cuisine. This isn’t simply a cookbook with recipes and pretty pictures, but a reference to the food culture of Japan. The amount of information and context given is both comprehensive and overwhelming. Sakai offers a full course on the fundamentals. With that said, these aren’t recipes that you can quickly whip up on a bustling weekday night, but something to
Jonny
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wonderful storytelling, in-depth history, accessible recipes. I'm sure it will go down as a classic in Japanese home cooking. ...more
Jane
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Japanese Home Cooking is an elaborate cookbook detailing the concept of Japanese cooking. The author shows you how to incorporate flavors and ingredients to deliver an authentic Japanese meal. And ultimately to expand the reader’s knowledge and experience of Japanese culinary culture.

This book is divided into two sections: Part one introduces the Japanese pantry and everyday okazu (dishes). This part introduces the ingredients unique to Japanese cooking.
Part two, *Okazu*, Sweets, and Beverages”
Online Eccentric Librarian
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, cookbook, non-fiction

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Japanese Home Cooking is an extremely thorough and detail oriented book that reads more like an encyclopedia than a recipe book. The key word here is traditional in that the traditions, origins of the meals, background of the ingredients, and the author's own family history are a large chunk of the book. Each recipe is a huge chunk of small text - you'll have everything explained to ensure you understand not only what
Samantha
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-drink, netgalley
A delightful book explaining how to produce Japanese cooking at home. It is so much more than sushi!

The book is split into two parts, plus an Introduction to the author and includes the principles of Japanese cooking and the kitchen equipment you require, along with table ware. Also included is how to set up the table correctly with the chop sticks and bowls being put in the correct positions, much like setting a formal table with the cutlery in a certain order, but its much more than that. I en
Meredith
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The recipes in this book are fantastic. The curry blocks alone, which I clipped from the New York Times on a flight to Arizona in August, changed my life in the fall and winter. I've been hoarding them like a stockpile of gold in my freezer, smiling on particularly terrible days, because I know that's when I'll use them, and just how good dinner's going to be.

Ms. Sakai's stories make me really grateful to be alive and cooking now, when we live in a hey day of recipe sharing, and finding foreign-
Tiffany :)
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Michelle Ogden
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sakai-san has created a masterpiece, a master class in how to cook Japanese home cuisine. Easy to follow lay out and beautiful pictures are also accompanied with excellent instructions and guest authors who talk about foodstuffs and their importance.

Beginning with a list of pantry items and gadgets and flowing into the Five Elements of Japanese Cooking, this book is like the Do-Re-Mi song in Sound of Music. You must first learn the notes, the flavors and techniques, then you can sing the song o
Aidin Gharibnavaz
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
There are some basic concepts in every cuisine. Most of the books will just give you recipes without actually explaining those basic concepts. No matter how exact the recipe is and how well you make it, it won't taste like the real thing.

This book, explains those basic concepts in Japanese cuisine. And it teaches you traditional ways the Japanese people used to make things: Make the dashi yourself rather than buying the powder from the supermarket.

I was searching for a good Japanese cooking book
Christine
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ebook copy from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

I'm always looking to expand my cooking horizons and I really enjoyed reading this book. Lots of beautiful pictures and easy, yet detailed instructions are included. I really liked how much information about the ingredients and techniques were integrated with the recipes- the reader gets an opportunity to learn about the history and uses of each.

Anyone interested in learning about Japanese cooking at home will find this beaut
Ietrio
Apr 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
This book is the product of an ego trip. I have no idea who's ego trip, because I have no idea who initiates such projects. A bland cooking book that might have had some sense back in 1960, but today it's strange. I mean Japanese people do not identify with this cooking style. And they are right, after all Japan is quite a large place with a large population. Now, someone living far from Japan might have trouble getting the "right" ingredients. And so on. And what's with the choice of recipes? S ...more
Jolene
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently returned from a trip to Japan and fell in love with the food and people.  I received this book from Netgalley.  It is beautiful.  There are lots of colored photos and great descriptions of the different types of ingredients and equipment used.  I also loved how the book explained the history behind the foods featured.  I learned so much about Japanese culinary arts and culture through this cook book.  A definite must have if you are interested in cooking and learning about Japanese fo ...more
Kate
Jan 30, 2021 added it
Shelves: 2021, cookbooks
Made the okonomiyaki, which was super tasty and adaptable.

I'd say that the emphasis on making pantry staples wasn't really my deal--I would rather buy condiments at the Japanese supermarket than make them, for example, and I don't really want to make my own noodles--but there are some good recipes here even if that's the case. Nice photography and writing, too. I think I just wanted something a little more casual!
Maire
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely cookbook that reads like great non-fiction. Though the recipes are not new to anyone already familiar with Japanese cuisine, this is still very enjoyable. Every section has an introduction to that aspect of Japanese cuisine, its history, tradition, and significance. She also does a wonderful job at making "traditional" ingredients accessible for this side of the world. There is a lot of love and reverence in this book. ...more
Jordan
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
This is a beautiful book. Drool-worthy food and accompanying pictures. It starts at the fundamentals of the kitchen and cuisine and works its was through to an appealing array of recipes. I skimmed a bit on the seafood and meat recipes since I don't eat those but every other section that I looked at was full of food that I would love to eat. ...more
Jenny Preston
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So much more than a cookbook, this goes into great detail on Japanese food culture, ingredient profiles (including a trip to harvest wild seaweed), and family memories. The photography is incredible too, creating a really satisfying reading experience.

I'm headed to the city to the Japanese market today.
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookery
A beautiful resource made with love and care, delightfully packaged with personal touches and family celebration. Clear and approachable recipes laid out with reverence for the sources of knowledge and creation of the tools and ingredients. I really enjoyed it.
Juli Anna
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful, and a an excellent overview of Japanese cuisine. Unfortunately, like many books of Japanese cookery, this is not a book you can pluck recipes from out of context, and most recipes are time-consuming, multi-step projects, not weeknight suppers.
Avi
Feb 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Carb heavy. A few interesting recipes. I much prefer Harumi, Singleton Hachisu, and Morumoto for Japanese cookbooks (as well as quite a few others).
Daisy
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, japan
I can't wait to make a curry block. ...more
Saori Minakawa
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully photographed. Great deal of care given to basics and foundations. Inspiring.
Dawn
Dec 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, read-2020
This is a beautiful book with time consuming recipes. While I love the idea of making my own broths and making my own noodles, I know I never will. I do love that the book is about loving the process and making things beautiful but right now, that is not what I need in a cookbook.
Courtney Mosier Warren
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for anyone interested in Japanese cooking and culture. Plus the photos are gorgeous!
Julien Danjou
May 23, 2020
R Dovi
Feb 10, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Cult Filmmakers: 50 Movie Mavericks You Need to Know
  • Randomize
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • [Dis]Connected: Poems & Stories of Connection and Otherwise ([Dis]Connected #2)
  • The Best American Poetry 2019
  • Emily Dickinson's Gardening Life: The Plants and Places That Inspired the Iconic Poet
  • Atlanta Underground: History from Below