Start by marking “The Newish Jewish Encyclopedia: From Abraham to Zabar’s and Everything in Between” as Want to Read:

“[A] delightfully irreverent romp through Jewish history and culture.”
Library Journal, starred review

An Unorthodox Guide to Everything Jewish

Deeply knowing, highly entertaining, and just a little bit irreverent, this unputdownable encyclopedia of all things Jewish and Jew-ish covers culture, religion, history, habits, language, and more. Readers will refresh their knowledge of the Patriarchs and MatriJew-ishto
An/>Library
Published October 1st 2019 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about The Newish Jewish Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Newish Jewish Encyclopedia

Start your review of The Newish Jewish Encyclopedia: From Abraham to Zabar’s and Everything in Between
Janet
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When a super-speed reader doesn't have a car for a month due to a predatory car insurance industry, you can get a LOT of reading done!!

Jill Meyer
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The Newish Jewish Encyclopedia: From Abraham to Zabar's and Everything InBetween" is not exactly the truth of the book's contents. It is more an idiosyncratic list of people, places, things, and food, most of which add definition to the word "Jewish".

The book was compiled by a group of three; Stephanie Butnick, Liel Leibowitz, and Mark Oppenheimer. I don't know how they divided up the work; no section or definition is assigned an author. I'd say the words chosen to be defined are fr
Jesica DeHart
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly hilarious and factual historical and contemporary walk through Judaism from A to Z. Mesmerizing details and laugh out loud antics required me to read this in one sitting as I could not put it down. The team behind 100 Most Jewish Foods has returned raising the bar yet again on how we learn about and celebrate this dynamic culture, religion and tribe. A must have for every gentile and Jew.
Rebecca Cynamon-murphy
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a Jew who was raised as a Presbyterian, reading this book is like getting a hug from a giant curmudgeonly uncle, who is interrupted by your wonk-ish cousin asking you something slightly prying in a charming way. Then, your sweet grown niece breaks in and says something totally brilliant. You know, like being home.
ALONZO WIND
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun book

Fun book in which I learned quite a lot as any Jew or Gentile would. One can quibble with some of the more flip and arch entries but still worth it. And I enjoy their Unorthodox podcast.
Bastian Greshake Tzovaras

• Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
  • Everyone's a Critic: More Cartoons by the World's Greatest Cartoonists
  • The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
  • A Star Is Born: Judy Garland and the Film that Got Away
  • Do You Mind If I Cancel? (Things That Still Annoy Me)
  • The Antelope in the Living Room: The Real Story of Two People Sharing One Life
  • The Unqualified Hostess: I Do It My Way So You Can Too!
  • The Gilded Chamber: A Novel of Queen Esther
  • Six Wives: The Queens of Henry VIII
  • Autobiography of a Geisha
  • Ma’am Darling: 99 Glimpses of Princess Margaret
  • The Glossy Years: Magazines, Museums and Selective Memoirs
  • The Vagina Bible: The Vulva and the Vagina: Separating the Myth from the Medicine
  • In Hoffa's Shadow: A Stepfather, a Disappearance in Detroit, and My Search for the Truth
  • A Small Town
  • Dawn (The Night Trilogy, #2)
  • Return to the Reich: A Holocaust Refugee’s Secret Mission to Defeat the Nazis