Start by marking “Make Noise: A Creator's Guide to Podcasting and Great Audio Storytelling” as Want to Read:
Make Noise: A Creator's Guide to Podcasting and Great Audio Storytelling

Make Noise: A Creator's Guide to Podcasting and Great Audio Storytelling

“An interestingly idiosyncratic and personal vision of how to make podcasts.”—Ira Glass

Veteran podcast creator and strategist Eric Nuzum distills a career’s worth of wisdom, advice, practical information, and big-picture thinking to help podcasters “make noise”—to stand out in this fastest of fastest-growing media universes.

Nuzum identifies core principles, including w
Published December 10th 2019 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Make Noise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Noise

Start your review of Make Noise: A Creator's Guide to Podcasting and Great Audio Storytelling
Dee Arr
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
There are times in all our lives when we find ourselves searching for answers. We usually have a good idea where we want to end up, but the path to get there is covered in heavy mist and smoke. For those interested in podcasting, there are thousands of examples to copy. We may prefer some more than others, but perhaps cannot articulate why. What we need is a map, a guidebook that promises not to take us in the wrong direction. The question is, what would that book look like?

At first glance, “Mak
Monnie
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The only radio I own is in my car, and it probably hasn't been turned on in a decade (which, for the record, is five fewer years than the age of said car). If you ever find me listening to an audiobook, start unzipping the body bag - I'm almost ready. Streaming, to me, means the fish are biting and an earbud is somebody's hearing aid. So for the love of all that's holy, why am I reading a book about podcasting and audio storytelling?

In a word, curiosity. Perhaps born of a childhood infused with
C. S.
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Filled with anecdotes of the author's time working in both radio and podcasting, this was an interesting read with an "insider's look" feel to it. It was also more comprehensive than other basic guides of the same type. I liked that it covered so many types of podcasts, from talk show format to fictional narrative. A must read for beginner and intermediate podcasters. ...more
Leanne Hunt
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to
I found this a useful book about why to podcast and how to maintain high standards in broadcasting. It is not, however, a beginner's guide to podcasting. I was looking for basic guidelines from an industry expert but there was very little attention to practical procedure here.
The author acknowledges this and points out that practical advice can be found anywhere. What he has to offer is perspective on the industry of radio and podcast creation, as well as years of experience in what works and wh
Keith
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
In Make Noise, Eric Nuzum lays out an agenda that is at once extremely ambitious and directed at a narrowly defined audience: His intention is to explain to would-be creators of podcasts how to conceptualize, organize, and execute their vision in order to launch a successful venture. What the book is not about is how any of the millions of potential users might select or evaluate the podcasts they listen to. However, as the author notes, given that there are currently about 700,000 existing podc ...more
Kate
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maybe you were one of the hundreds (or thousands) who decided they needed to get creative with their extra time during COVID and wanted to start a podcast. It seemed easy enough. You just turn on your computer’s recording software and start talking. Well, not exactly. But also, actually, yes. There are no barriers to entry, but there are some skills that lead to success.

The world needed a book for all of those looking to begin a podcast career. What’s uncanny is that Eric Nuzum wrote Make Noise
Grace
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
While the audience for this is definitely people who are planning to (or even already) producing a podcast, many sections like audience building or how to lead a group of creative types could be valuable to someone producing other types of media like blogs or indie video games. It also doesn't discuss the technical details of taping a podcast, but rather how your idea can be refined and effectively reach an audience and keep the passion going so you don't end up dropping it a year in. If you hap ...more
Kevin Murray
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When my boss gave the green light to start building a podcast, I didn’t have much idea as to how to take the next steps. From clarifying the idea to defining the audience to promoting the show, Make Noise covers a lot of territory for anyone looking to start a podcast. Eric’s got the experience so you know he isn’t blowing smoke. The read is engaging and filled with plenty of real world examples to help illustrate what he’s teaching.

The end section about leading creatives is super relevant and v
Bakertyl
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd never heard of Eric Nuzum before this book, but I'm looking forward to finding more of his work.

This book is part "the job history portion of my resume is amazing" and part actionable advice for any storyteller. The focus is on audio, but almost all of the advice works for other formats.

Even the bragging and personal history is well done. Nuzum throws credit to others like a rapper throwing bills to strippers- early and often.

Overall: well written, well organized, a good read for anyone tel
Rachel Taylor
Dec 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this book to those interedted in podcasting with good storytelling. This book focuses more on the art of podcasting rather than the practical side. The author does give plenty of advice on building the foundation, the mission, of the project. He also details how to work well with others. No podcast is exactly the same because every person has a unique story and point of view.

There is a lot of practical creative advice as well ad encouragement. I'm grateful that this book is av
Christine
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Make Noise" is a helpful book for those looking to start a podcast. It will give you very clear guidelines on the type and style of podcasts, how to execute it successfully, and popular examples. If you want to start a podcast and need some direction, this is the book for you. It doesn't include technical aspects of podcasting such as recording, equipment needed, or uploading, but with that known, this book is still very helpful.

Special thanks to NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return fo
Michael A. Van Kerckhove
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: npr, writerly, 2020
I like a good craft book I can hang my writerly/creative brain on, and this one fits that bill. Nuzum gives us plenty to think about as he organizes what we know/didn't realize we knew/didn't know about podcasting for anyone considering adding the medium to their creative wheelhouse. Along the way, he inspires us to think about the stories we want to tell, the stories we enjoy hearing, and how they're all told, and shares with us the past, present, and possible future of the podcasting landscape ...more
Betsy Ashton
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nuzum offers actionable advice on planning and executing a podcast. He knows his business, having had such podcast hits as the TED Radio Hour, Where Should We Begin? and others.

His tips are commonplace yet most podcasters begin without asking them. Who's your audience? Well, it isn't everyone. Nuzum suggests finding a picture of your target audience. A single person to whom you'll be speaking personally. Sounds corny, but when he builds out the strategy, it works.

If you want to begin podcasting,
Naomi
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is an absolute MUST READ for any person looking to start a podcast. Told in simple, easy to understand and digest information, this book is LOADED with critical information to prevent mistakes for what is an expensive endeavor. What I loved most about this book was it has information applicable to the author, as well.

Look for my full blog review closer to publication and possible inclusion in IndiePicks Magazine!

Reviewed for publisher via Netgalley.
Walker Walker
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pros: This book is epic! It gets straight to the point. However, I will admit that I put it down at first, but I tend to get bored reading about someone's narrative. This time it was different. I got involved and joined in immediately. I learned a lot along the way. Get this book if you want to get on the path of making some noise. This author will show you how to do it correctly while having fun.

Cons: None!
Nichola
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not about nuts and bolts of choosing software or distributors, this book is about who to develop your idea and format to reach and grow your audience. It was well told, and I could tell the author's rich experiences and continued desire to help people were strong. It was also nice that he didn't prescribe a one-size-fits-all approach or a best format, but that he was really interested in helping you to tell your story. These thoughts could also apply to developing a talk or a book. ...more
Mateo Rico
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The creators podcast bible.

I got this book because I found myself struggling with my podcast and didn’t really know what direction to take it in. This book addressed all my problems directly in chapter 1, I was hooked.

Check out my podcast! We’re on instagram @coldhour you can find the link in our bio :)
Patricia Bello
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Late review but this book is good. As someone who has toyed with the idea of making a podcast, this book is a good resource. The author is also quick to mention that even seasoned podcaaters will be able to get some gems from this book.

I almost want to start one already. I just have to think of what story to tell

Thank you Workman Publishing Company for the copy of this book.
Nimishg
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you decide "I want to get into podcasting" but aren't sure of anything beyond that, this book is perfect.

It tells you what you're in for, what to think about, and really guides you through how to flesh your ideas out, and a taste of some of the "problems" you might face if you get successful. I feel like I know what I'm getting into now.
Kara
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read this book. Seriously. If you’re a podcaster, if you’re a creative, if your a marketer, if you an entrepreneur this book is for you. Required reading for anyone in the podcasting space. Loved every word. Thank you, Eric.
Andy Gagnon
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
A solid introduction into the process of creating a successful podcast from an experience producer.

The title is terrible. It almost prevented me from reading the book. I strongly associate noise with noise pollution, a serious health hazard.
James Cridland
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book, which I heartily recommend to anyone making radio or podcasts out there. Eric's a decent writer, knowledgeable and full of great ideas, and this is a great book that'll get the creative juices flowing. ...more
Michael Bennett
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Packed with genuine insight and practical advice. There's a fair bit of flannel to wade through - he is VERY American - but most of it is entertaining and often relevant. Highly recommended for novice podcasters and radio journalists. ...more
Stefanie
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is absolutely THE book to read if you’re wanting to start a podcast. Compelling, smart, and enjoyable.
Mellissa
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome, two chapters I partially read, good stuff!
Aissa
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As an aspiring podcaster, this book was extremely helpful in planning and implementing my vision. But more than anything, it was a great book that helped me discover my own voice.
Reshmi Pillai
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
A major part of the book is geared towards big league podcasting, being on a network and the likes. But can be distilled for an individual, beginner podcaster and great lessons there.
Ryan Irby
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Embrace risk
Bálint  Táborszki
Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is pure gold for content creators. Practical, applicable, written by an industry veteran, it's one of my most treasured books in terms of its utility. ...more
Yifei H
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Super great into to podcasting, focusing mostly on strategy and vision. Like many things in art and design, the advice given may seem obvious at first, but there can be dire consequences if some decisions are not made with intent. This book surfaces many of those unconscious decisions into the conscious, from deciding the focus, to nailing down your target (not present) audience, to interview strategies, to story elements, to managing experimentation and failure. Eric Nuzum also writes empatheti ...more

• So You Want to Start a Podcast: Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Story, and Building a Community That Will Listen
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • On the Shoulders of Giants
  • The Great Reversal: How America Gave Up on Free Markets
  • Underwater
  • The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter
  • The Book of Candlelight (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #3)
  • Here We Are
  • A Slip of a Girl
  • The Time of Jacob's Trouble
  • My Mother's Secret
  • Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin, #1)
  • Narcissist: A Complete Guide for Dealing with Narcissism and Creating the Life You Want
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Kindness Boomerang: How to Save the World (and Yourself) Through 365 Daily Acts
  • Letters From An Astrophysicist
Eric NUZUM is a writer, cofounder of podcasting company Magnificent Noise, and creator of iconic podcasts. He is considered a leading “go-to” expert in audio, podcasting, radio, and spoken word entertainment. He led NPR’s initial podcasting efforts in 2005 and remained that effort's leading creative and strategic force for a decade. As a creator, he developed some of NPR’s most successful podcasts ...more

News & Interviews

“Like any other definitional exercise, you will be tempted to paint in broad strokes and use the most inclusive, easy-to-navigate language possible. But inclusive language is vague language. And vague language is a waste of everyone’s time. It serves no point.” 0 likes