Start by marking “Mary Blair's Unique Flair: The Girl Who Became One of the Disney Legends” as Want to Read:
Mary Blair's Unique Flair: The Girl Who Became One of the Disney Legends

Mary Blair's Unique Flair: The Girl Who Became One of the Disney Legends

Young Mary Browne Robinson loved color, even her name had a color in it. All she wanted to do was to make art. But becoming an artist wasn't an easy. Her parents worked hard to provide her paper and paints, and Mary worked hard to enter contests and earn a spot at a school for the arts. She even had to work hard to find her place at the Walt Disney Studios. But Walt was ...more
Published August 13th 2019 by Disney Press

To ask other readers questions about Mary Blair's Unique Flair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Blair's Unique Flair

Start your review of Mary Blair's Unique Flair: The Girl Who Became One of the Disney Legends
Amanda
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I don't know if I'm in the minority of people who value the aesthetics of Disney's animated movies from the 50s and 60s over today but I think the artwork from the time is undervalued and overlooked. Ten or fifteen years ago, biographies of women forgotten by history were much harder to find. I was so blown away by the beautiful artwork in this book and by Blair's story.
Earl
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think I first came across the name Mary Blair watching DVD special features on older Disney films. I would be astounded by her art usually used during concept and storyboarding stages rather than in the final products which was a shame because they were beautiful. And I've seen some of the stories being rereleased using her illustrations. There have been a slew of nonfiction picture books about her these past few years and I'm glad. I love the art used in this book.
Rebecca
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply beautiful.
Brianna
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5. Absolutely adorable.
Becky
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Mary Browne Robinson loved color. Even her name had a color in it. All she wanted was to paint.

Premise/plot: This is a picture book biography of Mary Blair, artist and animator. The picture book is slightly oversized, bright, bold, and beautiful. The book focuses on her art and career. It has just the right amount of text. It isn’t so text heavy that preschoolers couldn’t sit through it and enjoy. The subject matter is one that could easily appeal to readers of all ages.
Amy
Jan 20, 2020 added it
Shelves: j-picture-books
I want to eat all the colors in this book.
Kathy Iwanicki
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Interesting book about a little know female artist for Disney!
Ronnie Aichroth
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mary Blair’s work is incredible and timeless. It’s amazing to see this picture book telling her story. The illustrations done by Disney artist, Britney Lee, are cut paper and absolutely stunning. I’m proud to add this book to my collection.
Meredith Spidel
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book for telling the story of a woman who had color and character and shared it with the world! Such an inspiration for our kiddos, and my daughter has been loving looking through this book with all its gorgeous illustrations and stories. Such a win! Thanks for the ARC, Disney Books!
ℛ a ℂ ℎ ℯ ℓ ♥️
This is an amazing biography about Mary Blair, one of the legendary artists at Disney! She helped to create movies like Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan, and Dumbo. She also was the key person to create the designs for It’s a Small World ride!

The biography was well written and engaging. It flowed well and I was able to learn some new things I did not know about this amazing artist! Speaking of art…the book is illustrated by Brittney Lee! One of my favorite artists! She used cut paper
Sandy Brehl
Mary Blair was the creative force behind several of the most iconic Disney movies of all time: Cinderella, Dumbo, and Bambi. From early childhood, when she was compelled to draw and color (with the full support of her struggling family), through her marriage to an artist, and her less-than-challenging early career at Disney animations, she clung to her goal of creating magical color, movement, and emotions in art. Her work speaks for her success, but this book also makes clear the extent to ...more
Patricia Murphy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Walt Disney was impressed w Mary Blair and so was I after reading this superb & inspirational narrative PB. Cinderella would not have her silver and white dress without Mary. Cinderella, Alice, Peter Pan, and It’s a Small World appear in the gorgeous artwork & text telling Mary’s life story.
Illustrator Brittney Lee is drawing Mary’s life symbolizing the connections that Mary drew.
Love the title, Mary Blair’s Unique Flair. In Brittney Lee’s paper artwork we see Mary’s parents dressed as
Allison
This is a DELIGHTFUL introduction for children to the life and works of Mary Blair, one of the most influential Disney artists of the 20th century. The art by Brittney Lee couldn't be more perfect for this subject, as Lee's art holds much of the whimsy and charm that Blair's does. The patterns, textures, and mid-century aesthetic are just fantastic.
Reshamad
GORGEOUS art work, paper cut art style with beautiful colors. This is a non fiction picture book biography of Mary Blair artist behind Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan. She also designed the Disney exhibit "Its a small world". Lovely tribute to an extremely talented artist, pick this up to pour over the lovely colorful and vibrant art and learn about Mary's journey.
Alison N
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A wonderful and colorful tribute to a Disney legend, the woman who painted and drew for Disney films and who was instrumental in the creation of the "It's a Small World" attraction. Drawn in a style reminiscent of classic Disney animation, this book about Mary will be inspirational to all artists.
Heather
The illustrator is my favorite. The illustrations are a dream. The story is wonderful, and about someone you might not have heard about, who designed a little Disney movie called "Cinderella".
Sharon Lawler
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Art and dreams were the hallmarks of Mary Blair's life, and then she added color and Disney works. My mom's favorite ride was "It's a Small World" and this book would have made her smile.
Lydia
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love her artwork and the impact she made. I enjoy reading about her to my students- teaching them about the history of something they are all familiar with and the struggles she faced being a woman
Patricia Gmitrovic
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mary Blair is definitely a legend of Disney, that was so ahead of her time. Her artwork is whimsical and inspirational.
Morgan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one, I think I could use this in a story time.
Jerrianne Hayslett
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting Disney history
Perfect illustration style. Good back matter.
Amanda Walz
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very colorful picture biography of an amazing woman. There was a lot of information that skimmed over her life, but I think they did a good job including so much.
Lindsey
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
So beautiful!!
Nathalie
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought this mainly for the Art from the amazing Brittney Lee, but the whole children's book approach to Mary's career is so cute, I am sure she would have loved it. Such a cute idea tbh!
Sandi
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Loved the cut paper illustrations. Its good to know about an artist behind Disney productions. The illustrator of the book also works for Disney!
Steph
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, beautiful, and more beautiful.
Castle Spooktacular
A delightful account of the woman who brought some of the the iconic whimsical style to the world of Walt Disney. Jam packed with gorgeous colors and unique compositions. Truly special!
Charlos
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brittney Lee's art for the win.
Story is good too.

But dat art do
Kristen Thorp
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Another add in my collection of Mary Blair biographies.

253/365

• Pocket Full of Colors: The Magical World of Mary Blair, Disney Artist Extraordinaire
  • Pencils, Pens & Brushes: A Great Girls' Guide to Disney Animation