Start by marking “Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 2: Captain of Nothing” as Want to Read:
Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 2: Captain of Nothing

Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 2: Captain of Nothing

(Captain America (2018) #2)

Superstar artist Adam Kubert joins Ta-Nehisi Coates for the next dramatic development in the life of Marvel's Super-Soldier! Captain America - wanted for murder! And the victim is a familiar face in the Marvel Universe! How? Why? You'll have to read to fi nd out!

COLLECTING: CAPTAIN AMERICA 7-12
Published October 8th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 2

Start your review of Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 2: Captain of Nothing
Chad
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Coates is definitely getting better as a comic book writer, but this is severely decompressed. It probably should have been three issues as opposed to six. I do think he's doing more interesting things with the garbage from Secret Empire than Nick Spencer ever did. I also like how Coates is pulling a lot of elements in from Ed Brubaker's run on Cap. If he ever gets his pacing correct, he's going to be a damn fine writer of comics.

Kudos to Adam Kubert for actually meeting a deadline for 6 months
James DeSantis
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captain America is now in jail for a crime he didn't commit. But isn't that life?

Steve is framed for the murder of General Ross. Instead of running he decides to turn himself in. While he does that the people who conspire against him begin their plan to frame him as a murderer and the cause of many people's death. On the flipside you have the ladies of liberty whooping ass and taking names as they used their powers to free Steve...but will it be that easy?

I love the multiple threads going on.
Paul E. Morph
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Its undeniable that there are some great moments in this collection, and I did enjoy it, but I cant help but question how many Captain America No More! stories we really need. At this point, this is just a tired rehash of what was already a tired rehash the last time they did it.

On the plus side, they genuinely surprised me with the identity reveal of Dryad; I was so sure it was going to be (view spoiler)! As a forty year comicbook veteran, its really nice to be
Malum
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
If you like tons of action and a fast-paced plot, you might get frustrated with this volume. Steve gets put in prison and he just kind of sits there for several issues having deep thoughts.

I still like where Coates is going with this series, though. Cap is living in a post-Cap world that has not only moved on from him, but actively distrusts him. It's an enemy that Cap can't just punch in the face.
Chris Lemmerman
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captain America is a wanted man and hes not about to go on the run again. Trapped in a prison filled with supervillains and run by one of his deadliest foes, Cap must navigate the ins and outs of prison life so that he can survive long enough for Sharon to assemble a team to rescue him. Its political intrigue and backroom machinations galore in this second volume of Ta-Nehisi Coates Captain America run!

Captain America may be a superhero, but he really shines in these kinds of political stories.
RG
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It got better as the issues went on. Spent alot of time within the prison. I feel like Coates is improving as a comic writer but he's still not there yet.
Blindzider
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Similar to his Black Panther run, there are elements of Coates' writing that I enjoy, but it also falls short in other areas.

Coates' is putting a mirror on society, examining what America(ns) have become in regards to freedom, rights, etc. Excellent topic, especially for a character like Captain America. The subject matter elevates comics, giving an entertaining story while providing food for thought. However, the general plot is a tired trope: hero is accused of a crime and put in jail, next to
Scott
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
It was good but a little long and confusing. While the art was nice some of the layouts were difficult to read. There were too many double page spreads where you couldn't tell which direction to read.
Tiago
You can't go wrong with a prison escape story, but I'm still not fully into this series, the way everyone views Captain America as a traitor to the country feels as forced as it did with Phoenix Cyclops, everybody knows it wasn't really them back then, and it feels like a cheap gimmick to fill up more story arcs, I would rather have Steve Rogers becoming a whole new superhero. Adam Kubert's art was fairly enjoyable throughout the whole volume, and the covers continue to be freaking amazing.
Garrett
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Coates again uses Cap for what he's always been for, editorially; holding up a mirror to the condition of being an American in a time when country and ideals - to say nothing of government - seem so completely fractured and meaningless. What does Cap represent at a time like this? Coates's answer is brilliant, and I can't think of the last time something has excited me on the page like the Daughters of Liberty. Good follow up, and an important read.
Kris Ritchie
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Reviewing this a week ortwo late, and all I can really remember is that Steve was in jail and has to abandon being Cap...so a 3.
B. P. Rinehart
So we get Steve Rodgers in a deep situation as most people think he is Hydra and the real antagonists wanting to BE the next Hydra. While Rodgers is being institutionalized, we learn more about the folks who put him behind bars and the folks who have become his only salvation now that his official-rank is temporarily on ice.

I have to say that between this, The Water Dancer, and The Black Panther series, Ta-Nehisi Coates likes his badass women--both as protagonists and antagonists. In a comic
Travis Duke
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good follow up to vol.1 Coates is crafting a deeper story but it also feels very familiar at the same time. Captain is still dealing with the aftermath of the Hydra Supreme. It is clear now the ripples after the Hydra event are just beginning and Steve has a hard road, but he wont be alone! The Daughters of Liberty are a rad bunch of women who kick ass and take names and they are gonna help Steve out. The end of this book ramps up nicely with a big fight and some big ideas. Captain America is ...more
Scott Lee
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Coates does solid work here, exploring what it means for Steve to be Captain America with the MU's America being in the state it's in following the events of the Secret Empire storyline, and frame-up for murder with which this volume opens. The story's a slow build, with most of the action left to the "Daughters of Liberty," a group of superheroines that includes, Sue Storm, Mockingbird, Jessica Drew, and a few others. (Natasha would be a natural, but isn't there.)

Our primary villains here are
James
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
So all the conspiring the enemies did against Cap in the last issue have paid off here. He is framed an put in jail. Nice watching Cap trying to survive in there and really awesome watching the Daughters of Liberty kick ass and save the day. I have really been digging the pacing of this whole series so far. Sometimes you dont need to rush your way to the end. I love Coates slow steady pace. Then that reveal of the Dryad?!?!?! So ready for vol 3!! ...more
Bonnie McDaniel
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've been following Ta-Nehisi Coates as a writer for some time--I've read his essays and purchased his novel, The Water Dancer--and I also have the first two volumes of his Black Panther run. The difference between Black Panther: A Nation Under Our Feet and this volume is considerable. He has found his feet as far as comics writing goes, and this is the best I've yet seen from him.

This volume is pretty introspective, with many of Steve's interior thought bubbles decorating the panels, but given
M
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Ta-Nehisi Coates returns to the political drama surrounding his run on Captain America with the second volume under his direction. Wanted for the murder of General Thunderbolt Ross, Steve Rogers decides his best option is to turn himself in. As he learns to survive in the Myrmidon prison for super criminals, his female allies rally together to get at the heart of the conspiracy. These Daughters of Liberty - which include Invisible Woman, Spide-Woman, Mockingbird, Echo, White Tiger, Misty Knight, ...more
Adam Fisher
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
After the whole events of Secret Empire AND the fact that Steve Rogers is currently under arrest for the murder of General Ross, the outlook doesn't bode well for Captain America. When you add sending him off to The Myrmidon, a prison for people with powers, that is being run by Baron Von Strucker, it seems like a recipe for disaster. But we all know Steve can handle himself.
Who can help get him out of jail AND prove his innocence? Enter "The Daughters of Liberty", a team consisting of The
Dakota Morgan
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captain America is in true Winter Soldier form here (the movie version, at least) with government conspiracies abounding and the Captain on the run. Largely, Captain of Nothing is a prison break story and it's hard to ruin one of those, especially when the Ladies of Liberty are the ones coordinating the break-out. I could have used far more of them.

Ta-Nehisi Coates continues to reign in his excessive verbiage, and in this volume, the voiceover text actually makes sense. Adam Kubert's art isn't
Alex Tiethoff
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I consider myself incredibly fortunate to live in a time in which Ta-Nehisi Coates writes comic books.

His Captain America run remains very engaging as Coates tackles the political and the personal. Steve Rogers is no longer sure what it means to be Captain America. What does that represent? Could the name--the persona--be doing more harm than good?

Steve must navigate the complex dynamics of those out to cheat the system in order to make it and those who are truly evil. People may exist along a
Alex Sarll
"You don't serve any government, Steve, you serve a country. And a country needs ideals. It needs dreams."
"And what are the contents of those dreams? Freedom. Democracy. The right of people to choose. This is the world they've chosen. This is the world they wanted."

Captain America is discredited, smeared by association with his Hydra double and a death which looks a lot like it was caused by the shield. Meanwhile the likes of von Strucker, lifelong Hydra who only left because it wasn't racist
Kathleen
Feb 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Cap is still dealing with the fallout of everything his name has been used to do over the years. Now, jailed for a crime he didn't commit, Steve Rogers is forced to deal with the realities of incarceration and fight for his own freedom. He does so with the help of the Daughters of Liberty, which is basically A-Force and I am completely on board for it.

This is an interesting story, bringing Captain America back to Steve Rogers after everything the shield has been through over the last few years.
Shane Perry
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another strong volume in this series from Coates. His run is very reminiscent of Brubaker, but he definitely finds some ways to make this his own. This book sees Cap in prison most of the time, introducing us to a new secret team of heroes (something Coates has also done in his Black Panther run). As is mentioned in the story, weve seen fugitive Cap done numerous times before. Only time will tell if Coates will do anything new with it. ...more
Ramon
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
It's nice that Adam Kubert was able to do all 6 issues of this arc, which alternates between Steve in prison and Sharon and the Daughters of Liberty trying to get him out. Fun stuff. There's even a scene lifted right out of Whedon's first Avengers. Still dealing with the fallout of Secret Empire, but Coates is putting his own little strikes on fake news, though I hope it doesn't get too convoluted.
Craig
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked Coates' first volume, but this one is a step back again. Lots of scenes of people sitting or standing around talking. There are some rather incoherent fight sequences. I never had a good sense of what the Myrmidon looked like or how it was arranged. The art is quite variable, from the well finished to the very sketchy.
Ryan Laferney
Interesting, politically charged, philosophical take on Captain America. Cap is living in a post-Cap world that has not only moved on from him, but actively distrusts him. What's a super solider to do but to try to keep the dream alive against all odds?

Coates writing isn't perfect but there are some great ideas here. If you're a fan of Cap, read this series.
Xroldx
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Steve Rogers is in jail and an underground team of superheroes plot to get him out.
I think Coates does a great job of mixing up his ideas about current politics with the Marvel Universe.
The artwork was good as well. And I like this version of Captain America more than the rather bland character in the MCU.
Elysa
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked vol. 2 more than vol. 1 because the story is really coming into its own. Captain America is accused of countless crimes, and he is constantly beating himself up over "his" actions. The Daughters of Liberty show up to take names and kick ass. I'm interested to see where the story goes from here.
Adam Witt
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is not showing its hand as to where it's going, but the best Captain America stories in recent memory (those by Ed Brubaker and Rick Remender) have followed the same pattern. It'll keep your attention, no question. I'm excited, but reservedly so, about where it's headed.
Josh
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Coates tells a strong thematic story, and as time has passed, he is getting more adept at working within the graphic novel format. Here, he and the artistic team do interesting things with the character of Captain America, closing out the volume with quite a bold reveal.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine editions 2 14 Nov 02, 2019 03:35AM

• Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Volume 1: Secrets and Rumors
  • Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Straight Out of Brooklyn
  • Fantastic Four, Vol. 3: The Herald of Doom
  • Captain Marvel, Vol. 1: Re-Entry
Ta-Nehisi Coates is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Between the World and Me, a finalist for the National Book Award. A MacArthur "Genius Grant" fellow, Coates has received the National Magazine Award, the Hillman Prize for Opinion and Analysis Journalism, and the George Polk Award for his Atlantic cover story "The Case for Reparations." He lives in New York with his wife and son.

Captain America (2018) (4 books)
  • Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 1: Winter in America