Start by marking “Readers Digest North American Wildlife” as Want to Read:
Readers Digest North American Wildlife

Readers Digest North American Wildlife

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  206 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
With meticulous illustrations and detailed descriptions of plants and animals found in every corner of the continent, this newly updated and revised edition is the perfect companion in the field and a storehouse of information for the armchair naturalist or student.
Published May 1st 1982 by Random House Inc

To ask other readers questions about Readers Digest North American Wildlife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Readers Digest North American Wildlife

Christopher Newton
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, reference
I've had this lying around the house for twenty years. Occasionally, I'll pick it up and enjoy a little armchair traveling. Beautifully illustrated with pictures of odd beasts like worm snakes and star-nosed moles, nice tight descriptions and suggestions about the environments where you might see one if you look long and hard enough. I could imagine a lovely retirement just spent wandering around North America, this volume in hand, trying to find them all.
Lexy S.C.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Out of many other books on wildlife, this has to be the best one I've read. They include everything from a description to a picture to a map. The descriptions are short and sweet, and easy to understand.
Crystal
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I especially love the section in this book on flowers and plants, if I see a plant that I don't know, then I can just look it up and find out all sorts of info on it. This was a great garage sale find :D
Sue
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
I am amazed at how much of the wildlife, I come across and want to know about, is in this book. Considering they are covering North America's plants, animals, fish, insects, etc, you know they had to pick and chose what they put in this field guide. They did an wonderful job!
Clark
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a favorite childhood book to fantasize about the many animals around me. Now, I share these same joys, using the same book, with my children!
Cote DeRota
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome guide. I received it when I was a little kid in the 90’s from a great aunt who knew I loved wildlife. Although a bit dated now, this field guide is one of my favorites that I’ve seen. It’s loaded with beautifully detailed illustrations and simple yet informational descriptions. You can look through and find info on pretty much every single North American plant, animal, insect, fish, or tree you can think of. All while being well organized and easy on the eyes. I’ve marked up my copy pret ...more
Jen
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
There is just no substitute for this book on our shelves! We turn to this again and again and again. Just this week I was reminded of its value. I have scads of field guides here, but when we need to turn to a book for an extremely accurate illustration coupled with great information - this is the book we turn to again and again and it NEVER FAILS us!!!!

It is an illustrated guide to over 2000 plants and animals. I'm VERY picky about illustrations and the ones in this book are gorgeous and detai
Kristin
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We had a copy of this book growing up which I loved so much that Scott hunted down an identical copy for my birthday a few years back. I consult it frequently and sometimes just sit and pore over it until my brain is overflowing with wildflower names and characteristics and gives up for a while. I love the things that live and grow in the wild, and this book is what connects me to all that when I can't go on a hike.
Danielle Brugnone
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There may be better wildlife guides out there, but I've had a copy of this one since before I could read. I still have that same copy. It's tattered and worn; the pages are falling out. It comforts me to look at it. It's the reason I know the names to many birds, plants, and other creatures! And I always want to learn more about them.
Alex Gordon
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book since I was 12 or so and I still go to it after finding something new. :)

I would go through it often when exploring and catching turtles, beetles, lizards, snakes and such. :). The illustrations and layout are perfect for any nature lover. Be sure to pack it when going for a long hike in the woods.
Melissa Yeoman
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great reference book that contains a combination of information on plants, animals, fish, insects, etc. Each entry shows geographical location, a description of what it looks like, the habitat and a photograph. I recommend this book for any nature enthusiast who wants to know more about what they are seeing.
Lily
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a great book, with really good illustrations. Between this book and the Sunset Western Garden Book, I've been able to identify many of the mystery plants in my backyard. No home should be without such a useful book.
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I got this book in the early 80s (I think) and have used it so much it is falling apart. Everything from eagles to mushrooms to ferns. This is one of my desert island books.
Julie
Apr 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My favorite nature reference book
Ken
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Considering the age of this book and being a thrift store find, it is fun and informative for all people of all ages whom love the outdoors. My family loves it!
Julie
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Do most of these animals still exist?
Koaster
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must have.
Steve
Sep 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fieldguide, reference
Pored over a million times. Great for young nerds drawing mutant animal/human hybrids.
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The definitive guide to North American Wildlife. I've used this book as a reference for 20+ years.
August Maclauchlan
Oct 17, 2017
Nikki B.
May 27, 2016
Ryan
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lifelong backyard wildlife identification.
Deadfront Jack
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America
  • Birds: A Guide to Familiar American Birds
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Weather
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
  • New Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Birder's Handbook: A Field Guide to the Natural History of North American Birds
  • Tree: A Life Story
  • Associated Press Stylebook And Libel Manual
  • A Peterson Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
  • A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America
  • Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus (21st Century Reference)