Start by marking “Pawns in the Bishop's Game (Checkmate #1)” as Want to Read:
Pawns in the Bishop's Game (Checkmate #1)

Pawns in the Bishop's Game

(Checkmate #1)

How do you protect the girl, when the most dangerous threat in her life is you?

Kane Bishop is a professional enforcer, smuggler, all-around law breaker, and the latest resident of a tiny town hidden by mountains and forest.

His job is to keep his kingpin boss safe and off the local law enforcement's radar.

But when Jessica Lenaghan - immediate family to the police
Published March 12th 2019 by Beelieve Publishing, Pty Ltd

Start your review of Pawns in the Bishop's Game (Checkmate #1)
Michelle
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
2.75 Stars
New to me author and I thought this was going to be a pretty good book at first but it soon fizzled out. I kept going because Kane was super hot! lol Jess...she grated my nerves though. Oh well...moving on to something else:)
Mac
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like a broken record every time I write a review for Emilia. I have loved every single book she has written. But this book — this is off the charts epic.

Pawns is an intense, wildly emotional, passionate story that pushes readers into a new dark and dangerous world where the concepts of right and wrong are challenged. Every choice has a consequence. Emilia takes us on an edgy, adrenaline filled ride that tests the limits of love, loyalty, and friendship.

My heart started racing on the first
Saunders
Found this on Facebook via the Kindle forum but read book 5 in the series first. So started outta sync. Start with this one or better still start at the very beginning of the series with her vey first book.

This book had it all for me, angsty, a really hot alpha, emotional, LOL moments and a truly amazing storyline that kept me glued to my Kindle. Read it from start to finish.

Straight onto book 2.
Elizabeth
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
So, Emilia Finn is the type of author that forces me to sit and read her books in 1 sitting, because I can’t put a pause in her stories. Her characters are so real that I feel every single emotion with every single one of them.

I loved this book, as I knew I would. Kane and Jess drew me in and wouldn’t let me stop until I had finished the book. Then I cried because it was over.

If you haven’t checked out her books yet, do so. I started with her Roller Series (which was amazing). But her books
Toni Benton
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: emilia-finn
Emilia has outdone herself

I’m not totally positive that I have the words to express the love I have for this author & her books. She has taken it out of the box on this one!! This book is so different from everything else she’s written, but it is still so her style!!! You fall in love with characters you’ve known in other books, but just didn’t feel totally connected to (but that’s really bc Emilia wasn’t ready for you to connect with them). You love on them, you hurt with them, you cry
Britt Franks Red Hatter Book Blog
Unlike anything she has ever written before, Pawns in the Bishop’s game shows a whole new side of Emilia Finn’s talent. As a long time reader (or major fangirl. whatever.) of both her Roller series and Survivor series I thought I knew what she was capable of but nothing could have prepared me for this book. Darker and grittier than anything she’s done before along with being filled with intense emotion, every page keeps you guessing as much as it has you falling in love with the complicated ...more
Tt
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Angsty Stars!
The characters in this book were just so awesome. Kane Bishop is so complex, badass and protective of Jess. And Jess was the very same way with Kane. There was fast action, violence, very, very bad people and a great cast of friends and family. This book was fast passed and full of opposite attractions, and I,loved every minute of reading it!
Liz Booker
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay this is probably the best book I've read by this author. A story about two completely opposite personalities coming together, a girl who lives in a black and white world, and a guy who's life exists in the gray area.
And, wow! What an ending! I was set on a 4-star rating for this book, but THEN! The ending clinched it for me. 5 stars!!!
Cheryl
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emotional Ride

At points I could of smacked Jules for making some serious bad choices.

Kane is Dark and dangerous but so delicious.

Nothing is as it seems this book has some serious twists and turns. My emotions were all over the place.

The Author is new to me but I plan to read from her.
Kristen Lindtvedt
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A Heart Pounding, Gut Wrenching Must Read...

"Pawns", by Emilia Finn is a monster rollercoaster of a book designed to sucker punch you in your soul. At first, it is this slow, almost sluggish flume winding through layer upon layer of emotional water. It is a ride full of high stakes danger, personal discovery, exploration, and torment. And you are kept helpless, on the razor's edge of patience as the plot methodically builds and builds.

Finn carefully pushes you along bit by maddening bit with
Melissa
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy S$!t what a book!!!

This book blew me away! Every time I read a book from Emilia Finn I'm amazed at how each one just gets better and better. Such a superb author and story teller it's fantastic.
Jessica has always been the good girl in the group, but beneath the surface lies a woman who wants to walk a little on the wild side. She gets a little more than she was planning though when she goes to the rough side of town to get closer to Kade Bishop. Kade Bishop is a Jack of all trades for the
Linda
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On being over 60

...or more! I'm a voracious, very eclectic reader. Literally Fantasy, Space Science Fiction, Military, Law Enforcement Thrillers/Mysteries to Regency and the Paranormal. Throw in Classic Darcy and Anne of Green Gables. I don't look for editing errors but do blink a few times when I come across them. There are some amazing, gifted writers out there who deserve to have their visions and stories told. An author that values and respects all the roles that men and women have to
Teri
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
He was a thug, a killer, her case, her rescuer. They couldn't be anything more. He couldn't stay away. She wouldn't let go. A really bad guy who was bat sh$t crazy and out of control, is stirring up big trouble in Thing 1's town. This is nothing like the rollers, but you do hear them in the background. It's so much more. I didn't know this author had it in her but I shouldn't be surprised. I had the full on of emotions, hung on every word. The chemistry between these two is off the chain but ...more
Karen Voitik
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
>Book Review – Pawns in the Bishop’s Game
>I am an independent reviewer. This book is the 1st in the Checkmate series and ends in an HEA. Kane, muscle for a bad guy, saves Jessica in an alley. Jessica is a lawyer intern, trying to investigate Kane and his boss. Kane and Jess have an instant attraction. She is torn loving Kane. He is everything she doesn’t believe in. She believes he is a good man who does bad things. This story really showcases the danger and questionable choices an
Julie Sherman
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wild dangerous ride.

Jessica is the all around hard worker, student, sister of a hard working family. She steps into Kane's world with blinders on. He's the exact opposite of Jessica, a smuggle, enforcer, law breaker, no family and doesn't trust anyone.
Their lives become entwined because of forces seen and unseen, law and law breakers, hate and love and can only become blurred between them.
Kane only has one thing he has to do but Jessica is a complication he's not ready to just through away or
Heather Whitaker Red Hatter Book Blog
Wow! Emily's Finn is a new to me author. She did not disappoint with Pawn's In The Bishop's Game. It is the first book in the Checkmate series, and is full of twists and turns that will leave you guessing.
We meet Kane Bishop an enforcer to one of the underground's biggest criminal bosses. Enter our girl of the hour Jess, she is supposed to be investigating Kane, and building a case of all his criminal activities. Well lets just say she tries to take things into her own hands in the
BookLover
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me sitting on the edge of my seat from the first word. The author has created a world of excitement, darkness, and total obsession for the reader. I loved how she connected the worlds together flawlessly and made you beg for more by the end. I am completely captivated by this world, these characters and overall theme. I was so excited to read this book and can’t wait for book 2.

The world of Kane and Jess will captivate you, and make you love these characters. The chemistry between
Rachel Wheeler
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oh how I struggled with this book...

I loved him I hated him... I was like WTF!!! The beginning was difficult because I didn’t connect immediately... I actually put the book on a back burner and went and read other books and then my GF picked it up and recommend that I should actually read it... so I got in a book slump and gave it another go!
It was spicy and sexy and action packed... I’m not much for angst and this book had that so...
I loved her rolling series was a fan of Scootchs book and
Suzanne
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by this author that I have ever read and I have to say I am glad my friend pushed me to read it! It is raw and gritty with some interesting twists. It keeps you on your toes that makes you want to turn the pages to find out what will happen.
I absolutely adored the drive of Jess regardless of the situations she puts herself into. I giggled at Kane because he just could not keep away from Jess regardless of the backlash that he gets. These two together have amazing chemistry
Shannon
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, my goodness! KANE! This book was different from Emilia Finn's previous novels. It was more edgy and suspenseful in a dark and gritty kind of way but still had her ever-present humor. We also get to revisit with our favorites from past books, especially Alex and Jules. I have read all of Ms. Finn's books and loved them all. But Pawns in the Bishop's Game is on another level. Kane is the definition of an anti-hero. You don't want to like him, but he's so protective and in-love with Jess that ...more
N. Nieto
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Y'all!!!!! This book had of on the edge of my dang seat!!!! I cried, laughed and about had a heat attack at one point. I mean wow! This is the first book I have read by this author and now I get to go back and binge read them all! I'm in for a Treat or ICU depending on the story because this author knows how to Make you feel every little thing the characters do! Now I'm off to read Checkmate series 2 wish me luck and good health cause I know this book will be a roller coaster of emotions!
Julia
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ugh. I cannot believe I almost missed out on all of this.

I started the first book in the Rollin On series and didn’t give it much of a chance. Fast forward to reading the first book in the second series and holy crap....I went back. Re-read the first book and all the others and now I want more. I didn’t even want to start this book cause I knew I’d finish it in a day and then where would I be??? Waiting. That’s where.

Fantastic characters- this story might have been my fav.

Do yourself a favor.
Christina
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This whole series is amaze-balls. Love the way Emilia writes. Great flow, not drawn out but keeps you on your toes.

Kane and Jess are perfectly made for each other. Loved their chemistry and his fierce protection of her.

Can not wait for books 7 and 8!!

If you've never read anything by this author you are truly doing a disservice to your self. Everything you could ever want in a story line is right here, in all her books. Funny, sweet, romantic, smexy times, some mysyery and fiercely loyal
Pamala LeVan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emotional rollercoaster!!

OMG Emilia did it again. I thought the Rollers were tough but Kane and Jess are 10 feet tall and bulletproof. How can the written words make you feel so much? It has to be magic that takes you to another place and surrounds you with family, friends and the hottest sexy times ever! I am heartbroken over Laine but I trust that Emilia will make it all better again. Please, pleade never stop writing!
Melissa Rooney
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED so much about this book! Kane is one of my top 10 book boyfriends now. Jess was a bit annoying in the beginning but she really grew on me and had a great sense of humor. I loved the banter between her and Kane. The TWIST in this story... about 3/4 through I guessed it right before it was revealed but I still absolutely loved how the ending played out. This is a bit of a darker read with some possible triggers so be warned. But so so good. Highly recommend!!!
Sylvia McCullers
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Almost a 5.

A dark story about the worst and the best of humanity . Cringe worthy scenes that will make you think omg no way ! Stop ! Ughh ! Then again there are scenes of redemption where one witnesses caring and kindness despite the horrid world in which it comes about . I do recommend this book . It does contain events that may be too much for some readers , so tread carefully . It's worth the read .
Siddhi Nigam
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my god this is hands down the best book by Emilia Finn!!!

Kane is ... I don't even have words for what Kane is! He's that good!
I can't even talk more about him without giving out some spoilers so just know, YOU NEED THIS BOOK IN YOUR LIFE!!!!

And Jess, oh my god she is so freakin badass! I want to hug her, be her friend and be her too! You will not regret reading this book ever! The addiction and obsession that will follow is not my fault though!
April
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly surprised.

I don’t know how I came about this book, but I’m glad I did. I prefer my books on the darker side, though this wasn’t that it had enough of an edge that it fed my dark side. It really was fabulously written. The dynamics between the two was phenomenal. There were scenes that I literally felt like a voyeur, like I was watching it all unfold right before my eyes. To transport a reader like that is some series talent.
Tracy Majewski
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh

I haven’t had a book grab me shake me, make me laugh, make me want then make me cry real tears in so long I was worried I would be searching forever. This book did it all. I haven’t felt the NEED to read in awhile, this book broke that....I consumed this story as spectacularly as it did me. Wow! Thank you Emilia Finn
Sylvie Rochon
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kane and Jess

Well, I didn't think it was possible but this book blew my mind! My favorite of all the Emilia Finn masterpieces! Loved the scene when someone is drugged and the other is trying to get him home lol how one person comes up with these scenes is incredible!!!! I'm in awe!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Breaker
  • Wild Open Hearts (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • The Price Of Scandal (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Stealing the Bride
  • Home Game (Vancouver Wolves Hockey, #2)
  • No Broken Beast (Heroes of Heart’s Edge, #3)
  • Saving Della Ray
  • The Mogul and the Muscle (Bluewater Billionaires)
  • Just Playin'
  • Fighter's Kiss (Irish Kiss #3)
  • The Penalty Box (Vancouver Wolves Hockey, #3)
  • One More Song
  • My Fiancé's Brother: Part 2 (The Guilty Series, #2)
  • My Big Fat Fake Wedding
  • My Fiancé's Brother: Part 1 (The Guilty Series, #1)
  • Racing Hearts (Bennett Boys Ranch, #3)
  • The Hold Out (Brewer Brothers, #2)
  • Puck Me Secretly (Vancouver Wolves Hockey, #1)
Emilia Finn is an Australian author based on the East Coast of NSW. She’s a mum to toddlers, wife to a stubborn man, and an all-around badass who forgets to slow down and enjoy the small things in life - except coffee. She enjoys the shit out of that.
She was an accountant back when she wanted to be corporate and was ‘supposed’ to stack up to expectations, but three years into that degree, she

Checkmate (6 books)
  • Till The Sun Dies (Checkmate #2)
  • Castling The Rook (Checkmate #3)
  • Playing For Keeps (Checkmate #4)
  • Rise Of The King (Checkmate #5)
  • Sacrifice The Knight (Checkmate #6)
“Take your men have it so hard bullshit, shove it up your ass, and sew your butthole closed. You can borrow my needle, I don’t mind.” 0 likes