Start by marking “The Forbidden Stars” as Want to Read:
The Forbidden Stars

The Forbidden Stars

(Axiom #3)

The ancient alien gods are waking up, and there's only one spaceship crew ready to stop them, in this dazzling space opera sequel toThe Wrong StarsandThe Dreaming Stars.

Aliens known as the Liars gave humanity access to the stars through twenty-nine wormholes. They didn’t mention that other aliens, the ancient, tyrannical – but thankfully sleeping – Axiom occupied all the
Published September 3rd 2019 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about The Forbidden Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forbidden Stars

Start your review of The Forbidden Stars
Richard Derus
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Real Rating: 4.5* of five

We're not under any illusions about the Axiom anymore, are we? They're the xenocidal monsters of which nightmares were first brewed, they're cruel and thoughtless and smugly superior...no, scratch that, they're oblivious to lesser life's reality and so find nothing or no one convincingly sentient except themselves. They're even working, while in hibernation, on changing the fundamental constants of the Universe! And all so they can prolong their own nasty existences (and
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
Spoiler-Free Trilogy Review Video: https://youtu.be/tn9ktLmfYcc

This was an excellent final installment to the Axiom trilogy. Picking up right where the last book left off, this book jumps right into the action with little time wasted on recapping past events. As the third book in the series, readers should not read this one until they have read The Wrong Stars as well as the Forbidden Stars. This trilogy is highly bingeable so readers can easily catch up.

I always pitch this series as “
Mike
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A space opera heist caper, where the target is an entire solar system, and the mark is a group of fascist aliens (servants of Mythos-esque, godlike, ancient malevolent aliens, who are sleeping but not dead).

Because it was structured as a heist, and because it was so enjoyable, I forgave the ease with which the tiny crew achieved everything they set out to do. The third time the main progagonist went in alone into a facility full of enemies, this time almost literally with her hands tied behind
Bryan
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The preceding volumes in this series were a fun romp through the Galaxy, but only echoes of that remain here. In this final instalment, there’s only a couple of pages of real tension, little meaningful camaraderie, and not much new plot development. Evil alien overlords who used to be scary and all-powerful are now just cartoonish and pathetic. It felt like the author was out of ideas and just going through the motions - a disappointing end to this story.
Hisham El-far
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Forbidden Stars is the third book in Tim Pratt’s excellent Axiom series of space opera sci-fi.

These books have picked up and hijacked some classic sci- fi plot devices and tropes – and taken them for a joy-ride. The Forbidden Stars is no different and it makes for a fun read.

A story of a found family fighting to protect everything and everyone they hold dear in the universe from an existential threat to all things – using more than a few explosives along the way – Reading The Forbidden Stars
deep
Aug 15, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
PW Starred: " The lightning-paced latest installment in Pratt’s Axiom space opera series (after The Dreaming Stars) launches the crew of the White Raven head-first into another deadly encounter with ancient alien forces. The first aliens contacted by humans, a race who call themselves the Liars, gave humans access to 29 other stars via wormhole “bridges,” but never revealed that the Liars themselves were hiding from a powerful enemy known as the Axiom. Allied with a secret Liar faction, White ...more
Rafael Morillo
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The Forbidden Stars" is the last book of the Axiom Trilogy. This novel is the best of the trilogy and continues the story of the protagonist Captain Callie and her crew as they visit a the lost Vanir System in the Milky Way Galaxy and discover the fate of their human colony. Through their adventure they discover a deeper connection between a new faction of the alien species called the "Liars" and another faction of the beings called the Axiom which threaten all intelligent life.

This novel
Hisham El-far
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

Met
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm kinda unhappy with this one. I mean, it fits neatly with the previous Axiom books, which I enjoyed, but...

somehow this one could not build up the long term tension as I would wish. There's a few mildly exciting points, but they get resolved within two or three pages each time. The overall plot never seems to pick up much excitement from it.

At the end, we do get a proper cliffhanger that ups your anticipation for the next book. Or so you would think, until it is resolved straight away too
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in this space opera science fiction series where a small ragtag crew of humans and one friendly alien are out to stop some distinctly unfriendly aliens from destroying the human race if not the universe. Almost non-stop action, but it's not just a series of battles - the clever ideas of the scrappy crew is really what saves the day time and again as the book goes on. I think this is the final book in the series, and if so it wraps things up in an entertaining and satisfying way - ...more
Michael
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Axiom series by Tim Pratt. In this one, following clues given by a mysterious being known only as the Benefactor, White Raven Captain Callie Mechado and her crew travel to the Vanir system to investigate a colony that’s been silent for almost a century. With their bridge generator they have skipped past the closed wormhole and entered the system from an unexpected area of space only to discover another Axiom project, fully awake, and poised to pour through the ...more
Lyle Blosser
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the series was very good, the second one, not quite so much. But this third book once again returned to the exciting derring-do, humor, and cosmological threats of the first book, with the great feature of wrapping up some threads left dangling from the earlier books. A super-satisfying ending to the trilogy (according to the author, he's satisfied, too), but I sincerely hope there are more stories to come. Yes, we got some resolutions in this book, and they were satisfying, ...more
Peter
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Book 3 of the Axiom series. I liked the previous two books, so it came as no surprise I liked this one as well.
In this story Callie and her team take on another still active Axiom cult and lots of destruction happens. Everything that there was to love in the first two books is here again as well: lovable characters, witty banter, action and explosives and inclusive politics.

My only complaint is that everything went a little bit to well in this book. I feel that wrapping up all the story lines
Anne Szlachcic
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the 1st book in this series ……………….but is the 1st I have read and what an enjoyable Space Opera it turns out to be .
This was a heist with a difference ………………. in this case its an entire Solar System .........… with a mark with a difference- Fascist Aliens .
How such a small group can take on and beat the odds takes some believing but that just added to my enjoyment .
There is plenty of tension , the pace is fast and the humorous banter makes for an great read .

I will certainly be going
Thomas
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pratt, Tim. The Forbidden Stars. Axiom No. 3. Angry Robot, 2019.
Space opera pure and not so simple. The old aliens, the Axiom, have retired into virtual reality, but they may have left a bunch of projects in process. There are some aliens who may be working on their behalf but who knows, because they are called Liars for a reason. Humans are outnumbered and overmatched, but they learn quickly. This sequel The Wrong Stars and The Dreaming Stars is a good finish to the trilogy. I would not be
Annarella
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a fun read and I loved it!
I don't usually start a series at the end and now I will surely read the other instalments as I want to learn more about the world building and this amazing series.
It's an engrossing and entertaining read, it's like meeting again a lot of classic tropes of a space opera and seeing them through new eyes. They look exciting and renewed.
I'll surely read other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all
Sontaranpr
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book 3 so can't go into too much detail. Our crew on Starship Snark are still stealing things, blowing up things, stealing then blowing up things, and in one instance blowing up a thing then stealing it. Still hot on the hunt for bases of the Great Old Space Bastards a benefactor appears with notes and a list of places to check. One of these involves a colony long lost. You could leave for there but no-one has come back in a century. What could possibly go wrong? Everything.
Jamie Rich
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Forbidden Stars (Kindle Edition) by Tim Pratt

What a great ride!

In the last installment of the trilogy, we find our screwballs are well and truly challenged by the uber evil bad guys. Once again, not everything is as it looks, but when is it ever?
Our stalwarts really have to up their game in this round, and yes, the steaks are higher than ever. Happily, they each find some way to rise up and meet the challenges.
Paula
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a ride! I love the open-ended conclusion to the story and the fact that the whole trilogy - while fresh and original - feels somehow familiar, deftly navigating the tropes we all know and love in new and innovative ways. The fantastic worldbuilding and character fleshing out made this pleasure to read.
Kevin Jones
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like these books. Light and easy to read, though has some big ideas as well. The irreverent tone is sometimes a detraction to the experience when dealing with the heavier subject matter; makes suspension of disbelief that this particular crew would be successful in the world-shaping events they're a part of. Overall worth the read.
Jules Bertaut
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! And this is an excellent conclusion to it. There is a good amount of weird shenanigans going on in this book, but things were pretty well concluded, and in a way that made sense and didn't feel weird and too convenient.
Kevin Hogan
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
More 3.5 than 4 stars, this book is fun like the rest of the trilogy, and wraps the storyline up in a mostly-satisfying fashion without sacrificing the possibility of more work in the universe.

Not deep, but I do not regret spending either the time reading or the money purchasing.
Paul
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I missed the others in the series, but enjoyed this one. I'll have circle back. This is fun, and had good dialog, a decent space opera plot, and expected action.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
Simon
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recent Reads: The Forbidden Stars. Tim Pratt wraps up his Axiom space operas with a bang. The White Raven investigates a long lost colony world, igniting revolution and war. But what are their mysterious Benefactor's motives? Secrets will be uncovered and destinies changed.
Macha
Nov 12, 2019 added it
3 and a half stars. last book in this old-style space opera trilogy. i have the definite feeling he plays fast and loose with the science, but it's a great collection of characters, and sometimes you just need something that brings the fun.
Eric
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly entertaining installment in the series. Great action, character development, and lots of questions answered. In theory this could be the end of the series, but the door's open enough for more (fingers crossed).
John Adams
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great conclusion to the trilogy (albeit with a devastating character death), still featuring a delightful mix of space adventure, horror, and humor.
Gerald Nunn
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and thrilling read

A fun and jaunty trip into a world where interesting this happens. Great to catch up with Callie and the whole crew again. A satisfying end to the trilogy.
Jon
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Why do I have to destroy every abomination I see?"
Scott Kardel
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The Forbidden Stars is another fun read in Tim Pratt's Axiom series.

• Salvation Lost
  • The Quantum Garden
  • The Outside
  • The Cruel Stars
  • Spaceside (Planetside #2)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Auberon: An Expanse Novella
  • Silver (Inverted Frontier #2)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Interference (Semiosis Duology, #2)
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • Rando Splicer (The Spiral Wars #6)
  • System Failure (Epic Failure Trilogy #3)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Return of the Incredible Exploding Man
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
Also writes as T.A. Pratt and T. Aaron Payton

Axiom (3 books)
  • The Wrong Stars (Axiom, #1)
  • The Dreaming Stars (Axiom, #2)