Start by marking “The Scarecrow” as Want to Read:
The Scarecrow

The Scarecrow

All the animals know not to mess with old Scarecrow. But when a small, scared crow falls from midair, Scarecrow does the strangest thing. . . .

Bestselling author Beth Ferry and the widely acclaimed Fan Brothers present this tender and affectionate tale that reminds us of the comforting power of friendship and the joy of helping others.
Published September 3rd 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Scarecrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarecrow

Linda Lou
I had to have this book! I have Night Gardener and Ocean Meets Sky which The Fan Brothers have authored and illustrated plus the Antlered Ship by Dashka Slater which they also illustrated. These stories are wonderful but it is the illustrations that draws you in compelling you to slowly turn each page whilst drinking it all in. This story is a little different...its a beautiful poem of friendship and helping others for the mere joy of it. It flows so well that you can almost hear music. It isn’t ...more
Abigail
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Beautiful New Picture-Books About Friendship and/or the Seasons
Standing in his field through the seasons of the year, the eponymous Scarecrow is a solitary, friendless figure, one who does not know joy or companionship. Then a baby crow crashes to the ground near his feet, and everything changes. The Scarecrow adopts the hatchling, sheltering him and cheering him on as he grows. But when the crow takes flight, leaving the Scarecrow all alone again, is it the end of their unusual friendship...?

Given my great love of the Fan Brothers and their phe
Jessica Ryan
Super touching story. Rhythmic writing. Out of this world illustrations.
Ms. B
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, 2019, picture
It's the Fan Brothers! How can I not love it? Amazing illustrations match this story about seasons and friendship (view spoiler)
Baby Bookworm
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is The Scarecrow, written by Beth Ferry and illustrated by The Fan Brothers, a heartwarming tale of friendship and family.

A lone scarecrow stands in a field, posted upright in the ground. His presence does its job; deer, foxes, fieldmice and crows (naturally) keep their distance from his ever-vigilant watch. However, this leaves scarecrow rather lonely – with no one to come near, there’s no one to make
Billie
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations by the Fan Brothers are exquisite (as all their work is) and the story itself is sweet and lovely but the actual text lets the rest of the package down. It's in rhyme and there are places where both the rhythm and the rhyme feel forced and awkward. Had Ms. Ferry chosen prose or free verse in which to tell her tale, this could have been truly magical. There's still magic to be found, but it's not as shiny and sparkly as it could have been.
Kara
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book! I loved the simple, rhyming phrases that tell the story of a lonely scarecrow who decides to help a baby crow and the friendship that blossoms. The illustrations are stunning and match the text so well. The Fan brothers are quickly becoming some of my favorite illustrators.
Aliza Werner
Beautiful poetry and illustrations. Friendship, selflessness, and love love love. This one is a heartprint book!
Lindsay Schumaker
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to read for fall. My 6 and 2.5year old both liked the illustrations and the story. I always have a soft spot for books that rhyme.
June
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: friendship and lonliness requests
A sweet, sweet story of a lonely scarecrow that rescues a baby crow and the two become friends.

A bit much for my young preschool story time crowd.
Olivia
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfi...

REVIEW
Elegant and insightful, THE SCARECROW follows a lonely scarecrow through the seasons- no one dares to approach him. That is, until, one day, a baby crow falls near the scarecrow. The scarecrow bends to pick up the baby crow and takes care of it until it can fly away. The scarecrow is alone again through the seasons, until the crow returns to make its nest with the scarecrow.

Written as a lovely poem accompanied by soft, lush illustrations, this pi
Emily Allen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caldecott
I really like everything about this book. It has great illustrations and I like the poetic wording as well. I chose this book as my winner for the Caldecott Award. The pictures set the tone for each part of the book very nicely with the contrast of light and dark colors. I love the intricate details and the style of the illustrations. There was movement across the pages and some of the spreads were covered in mostly illustration with very little words. At the beginning of the book, the scarecrow ...more
Jana
This beautiful picture book shares a sweet story about kindness and friendship with young readers. With gorgeous artwork and gentle rhyming text, children will be pulled into the wheat field where an old scarecrow has stood throughout the seasons for a long time. The local animals don't have anything to do with the scarecrow and the scarecrow has never known a friend. But being excluded from community doesn't stop the scarecrow from showing kindness to a vulnerable baby crow who appears to be in ...more
Emma (Miss Print)
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. The rhyming text is a little stilted at times but the illustrations more than make up for it. A lovely story of a scarecrow who rescues a baby bird--even as he knows eventually that the crow must fly away. But don't worry! Everything ends well here. A very sweet story about friendship and making room for the people who matter most. It would make for a very melancholy story time but I think this could pair well with The Farmer and the Clown by Marla Frazee as well as The Rough Patch by ...more
Mandy
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Picture Book. This story is a "quiet" story, with a sweet plot and muted illustrations. A scarecrow stands alone in a field because none of the wildlife will venture near. But when a baby crow falls from the nest, it makes a new nest in the scrarecrow's pocket. Both are glad to have a friend. As the seasons and the years pass, the crow builds a family with the scarecrow as the home base. Seems odd that there are never any actual people in the garden. Also a bit odd that the scarecrow is seen in ...more
Marco
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Well that was depressing. 5 stars for the illustrations which are classic, 3 stars for the story which after making sure you're basically sad for an abandoned scarecrow tries to redeem it with forest creatures befriending it. I mean what are you supposed to do with these lines:

"No one visits.
No one cares.
Scarecrow sags alone and stares."

I'm sure "reality, blah, blah" but you know, these kinds of expressions in children's books can be too much, I don't care wha
AMY
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: not recommended
Rhyming story about a scarecrow who is lonely out in the field. The illustrations are pretty but it is kind of a weird story. The scarecrow befriends a little injured crow and appears to come to life and picks it up. It stays warm in the scarecrow’s “heart” inside…and later comes back to make a nest. The concept is kind of interesting but the part about it coming alive is kind of creepy. It felt like it ended and then had a second ending. I didn’t really like it whole-heartedly. I am going to pa ...more
Margie
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They stand alone day in and day out for months and even years. They never utter a single word. Creatures of the field and forest give them a wide berth. They are made to spread fear, especially in birds. Birds that would eat a farmer's freshly seeded fields or crops waiting to be harvested are not welcome.

Perhaps this is why these creations are given the name scarecrow. This is a lonely, dismal task even for a being with seemingly no feelings. The Scarecrow (Harper, an imprint of Har
Vicki
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest, gentlest, and best book about a scarecrow.

He does his job so well none of the woodland animals will come near, thus he is very lonely. I don’t want to reveal what happens-you need to read this book to find out!

The words are tender and wonderful.

The amazing illustrations by the Fan Brothers are wonderful. The changing seasons are beautiful.

Checkout the neat hidden cover under the book jacket.
John
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it was about a lonely scarecrow, but it's very long in this book, so it's a long time until a crow (who was his friend, that is very far into the book) meet this scarecrow, and they are friends, until one day he flies away. And a black hole forms, but we don't really see that on the scarecrow–I think I mean, like, a black heart, like there isn't a friendship anymore–like, that kind of black hole.
Linda
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Autumn is here, and I wanted to be sure to share this beautiful, beautiful book, though it's only about the seasons in its setting. I don't want to tell much because I want you to experience the beauty and creativity of the Fan Brothers' illustrations as Beth Ferry gives us the sweetest love story you might have read in a long time. Can you imagine a scarecrow (like on the cover) showing emotion. Wait until you read the book. Wait until you feel the feelings. It's terrific!
Andrea Doyon
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With autumn right on our doorstep, The Scarecrow will give you all the feels. Its beautiful illustrations by the Fan Brothers accompanied by the beautiful poetic words of Beth Ferry will transport you to a Midwestern farm.

Scarecrow knows his role in life: he is to stand upright and stock-still in the middle of his field, scaring off animals from his land. He never wavers, until one day a baby crow falls at his feet and scarecrow does the unimaginable: he bends over to pick him up. From then on, an unbre
Alicia Evans
What a surprise! This book wasn't on my radar until a coworker gave it to me and I'm glad they did. The illustrations are so vivid and the feelings throughout the book are palpable. I didn't expect to feel so much for the scarecrow and was pleasantly surprised.

For: lovers of scarecrows; readers wanting a book about finding your own family.

Possible red flags: feelings of loneliness and sadness.
Terri
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Appearances are often deceptive. Things that look big and scary can prove to be just the opposite. Beth Ferry shares this simple truth in this warm tale. All the crows are afraid of the scarecrow that stands alone in a golden field. One blustery day the wind toppled a young crow from his nest and blows him into the scarecrow’s welcoming arms where he finds shelter and friendship.
Lynn
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The gorgeous illustrations steal the show here in this sweet tale of an unusual alliance. The rhyming text works but it is the Fan brothers who work the magic. A sweet and welcome twist on tropes making both the scarecrow and the crows sympathetic and heart-warming.

A nice addition to fall books collections for classrooms and libraries.
Mary
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautifully soft illustrations highlight this story. The bib of the scarecrow's overall is the perfect spot for a bird to rest. Even more perfect is the return with a mate.
Why does the hay look yellow like straw? Why is the scarecrow guarding a hay field, rather than something with grain that crows would actually eat?
Erica
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lonely scarecrow shows kindness to a small, lost crow. They grow close, though the scarecrow knows the crow must some day leave. Time passes, and his kindness is repaid in spades. What a nice book to read on the first day of autumn!
Raven Black
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations. They are the right colors and fit the theme and feel of the story. However, the story was a bit too sugary for my personal tastes. With that said, it is a lovely book about love, friendship and possibly you could say it is even a little bit about adoption.
Patti
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet story about empathy and selflessness from unexpected places. A scarecrow shows kindness to a most unlikely new friend and receives unexpected pleasures in return. A bit of a throwback to The Giving Tree. Beautiful illustrations make this story a pleasure to read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Beth Ferry is the author of the picture books Stick and Stone and Land Shark. Her family has cared for myriad pets, including two land sharks, a hedgehog, a blue-tongued skink, and a heap of hamsters, but her absolutely perfect pet is an English bulldog named Winston. She lives in New Jersey.