Start by marking “Ayoade on Top” as Want to Read:

Ayoade on Top

At last, the definitive book about perhaps the best cabin crew dramedy ever filmed: View From the Top starring Gwyneth Paltrow.

In Ayoade on Top, Richard Ayoade, perhaps one of the most ‘insubstantial’ people of our age, takes us on a journey from Peckham to Paris by way of Nevada and other places we don’t care about. It’s a journey deep within, in a way that’s respectful a
Published September 5th 2019 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Ayoade on Top, please sign up.
Alric

I read the book and it didn't matter. I'm not sure how much seeing the movie would have advanced your appreciation of the book. (less)

Start your review of Ayoade on Top
K.J. Charles
Jan 25, 2020 added it
Shelves: comic
OK, look, humour is subjective. You may think an entire book analysing a forgotten Gwyneth Paltrow/Mark Ruffalo vehicle about air stewardesses sounds pretty thin stuff. Whatever. I can only say that I have not laughed so much reading a book in some time. I laughed so much, my family made me sit in another room because I was annoying them with my howling. I actually cried laughing.

Very clever in its profound stupidity, a masterclass in irony, and just really really funny. You do not have to have
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
This book is the book that I didn't know I needed in my life.

I'm a big fan of Richard Aoyade. I'll basically watch him on any show that he's on whether it's in comedy guest or presenter capacity. His sense of humour is so dry, so delightfully droll that in my eyes he always outshines whomever he is on screen with.

Sometime in late Autumn / early Winter 2019 he was a guest on Graham Norton's BBC chat show to promote this book and once I heard the premise I knew I HAD to read it.

"This book is
Mira
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ayoade on Top by Richard Ayoade

If anyone was up to the task of writing a definitive analysis of the 2003 Gwyneth Paltrow cabin crew dramedy film 'View From The Top' I am mildly confused as to why Richard Ayoade thought it could be him. 👓

Luckily for us he took the gamble, forged ahead and wrote this gem which is written in his inimitable voice and made me laugh...a lot. 🥰

If you love Richard Ayoade I think you'll love this book too. But then you'll want to watch the movie and that's where it coul
dianne
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I deludedly thought I was buying this book for my partner. After seeing Richard Ayoade on Graham Norton and giggling hysterically, I learned he had written a book about maybe the worst film ever made, starring the inimitable hawker of vaginal eggs (see below) and ridiculous smelling candles: Gwyneth Paltrow. As my partner, has an advanced degree in film making, among others, i thought - Perfect Gift!

But the humor is simply too British for someone who hasn’t had the delight of living there, and
Luce
★★★★✰ 3.75 stars (rounded up)

Ayoade on Top is a hilariously strange book. Richard Ayoade's critical analysis of 'View from the Top' (a 2003 romcom starring Gwyneth Paltrow) is a delight to read. Throughout the course of this short book Ayoade argues that this long-forgotten film is a modern masterpiece.
I found Ayoade's dry wit and his clever observations regarding the film's many 'subtexts' and his asides on Paltrow's career to be 'on point'. Ayoade's humour may not be for everyone but I foun
Mark Kinver
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is this TripAdvisor? No? Well, never mind. What a journey! I saw sights I thought I would never see. Interpretations I thought I would never understand. I went to places I never knew existed, let alone were on a map. All this and I was encourage to relax in slacks, and reassured that my corduroy-clad frame was in the company of a wise, wise captain of literature.
TraceyL
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
I love Richard Ayoade and his sense of humor. So when I heard that he wrote a book over-analyzing a terrible Gwyneth Paltrow movie, I grabbed it.

I wish I like this book more. He uses this movie to talk about movies in general and the tropes we see used over and over again. He had some good points and there were a few times when I chuckled while listening to it. Overall it fell kind of flat.

I would pick up another book by this author just because I love his comedy.
Ailsa
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“It’s like something Beckett would have written if he had the balls to write something with a plot.”
Abi McManigan
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a rather bizarre premise for a book but of course, comedy genius Richard Ayoade managed to pull it off.

It follows, almost frame by frame a 2003 "dramady" Gwyneth Paltrow film View From The Top, Ayoade satirically preaching of it as, an underrated masterpiece of cinematography.

Of course his ramblings and in depth analogies of the scenes were what kept the book together, kept it funny and kept me going, although sometimes, being as wordy as it was, it was hard to follow sometimes. I was e
Ritika
Dec 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, humour
There is nothing like coming to this book completely unprepared for it. I came in expecting a light memoir, I left a ...film student? I can imagine actual film students reflexively cringing at this disturbance in the force.

I will not give away even the tiniest bit of the plot. I want every one of you to pick up this book knowing nothing about it, and then spend the first 100 pages or so with your jaw dropped at the sheer audacity of the existence of this thing. I wish to meet Ayoade's publisher
Motherbooker
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've had the (dis)pleasure of watching View From the Top so, as soon as I discovered that it was going to be the topic for Richard Ayoade's third book, I knew I had to read this book. It was nearly 15 years ago now but I am still haunted by that film. The horrible orange outfit that Gwyneth and the cringe-inducing singalong during the credits. The film was badly made, badly written, and badly acted. We laughed our way through it. Definitely not something you can easily forget. And don't get me s ...more
Priyanka Vavilikolanu
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I caught Richard Ayoade on The Graham Norton Show regaling the couch with a description of his new book and I knew I had to read it asap.

Richard Ayoade, the director of Submarine and The Double, is an exquisite filmmaker. I'm looking forward to his next film, whenever it arrives. He is also a well-known comedian and actor whose clips on YouTube are highly recommended. I couldn't help but read this entire book in his deadpan, self-deprecating voice.

Ayoade picks an obscure and obviously bad Gwyne
Ian D
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: british-lit
I'm a simple man of simple pleasures. What do we have here? A well-known comedian takes the piss out of Gwyneth Paltrow, Goop, and - most importantly - one of her biggest cinematic flops? I'm on board (the pun writes itself, so sue me)!

In his own words "It really is so important to give this film the respect it deserves" and he does take satire to the next level, so I'll happily join the journey.
Making fun of Paltrow is like shooting fish in a barrel and I enjoy it as much as the next person, b
Paul Dembina
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a confessed Ayoade fan. What can I say? The man tickles my funny bone ...more
Sharon Lam
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Early 2000s, Hong Kong. A teenage me is browsing VCDs at a rental shop, looking for movies to whittle away the long summer hours, and apparently, to inform the rest of my life. That is to say, this is how I first came to watch View From The Top, in the most organic manner possible - head sideways, reading plastic spines, a gait now threatened by Algorithm$.

For whatever reason (perhaps the same reason that sometimes The Wiggles’ sole line of “fruit salad, yummy yummy”, will course through my mind
Nanu
Before reading it, I watched the movie. It was painful. But it was soo worth it to fully enjoy this book.
Ayoade is brilliantly funny. I couldn't stop laughing. Now I am tempted to rewatch the movie just to appreciate it under a new light.
Lou Robinson
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Amusing book critiquing a little known film starring Gwyneth Paltrow called View from the Top, interspersed with memories from Ayoade’s childhood. I don’t think I want to see this film.
Nastya
This was a short book of stand up routine. I chuckled a few times but comedy is hard in written form. A bit too much of the movie fun for me, but loved when he was talking about his life.
Sara
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
In my many years as an aspiring academic, I had to read my fair share of media analysis. I can assure you that nothing I read at university comes even close to the depths of this work: the most insightful text ever written about the groundbreaking romantic airplane comedy "View from the Top" (2003), starring Gwyneth Paltrow and Mark Ruffalo.

Also it repeatedly made me cackle like a hyena in public, so there's that.
Spencer
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ayoade on top is an absolutely hilarious analysis of the 2003 dramedy 'View from the Top', I've not seen the cinematic 'masterpiece' but being a fan of Ayoade I was sure that I'd like this. I ended up loving it, I can't recall the last time a book has made me laugh so much! If you're a fan of Ayoade, film or comedy you probably love this just as I did. ...more
dg
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
i can not BELIEVE the fight scene between christine and donna was glossed over like this (a small paragraph at the end of a chapter) i was SURE it would receive it's own chapter, as it deserves. anyways this was very funny and i would love to read more monographs on early 2000s movies but only if written by richard ayoade. ...more
Kim
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ayoade is extremely funny and a genius, who makes even me, not a lover of comedy, laugh out loud. I'm afraid for me that's not enough for more than 3 stars, although I really enjoyed this audiobook as intelligent entertainment in between reading other books. ...more
Nicola
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very amusing book, especially if you have seen View from the Top. The chapters giving his life story amused, and made me wonder how much was true (spoiler: not much). I recommend it to anyone who knows of Richard Ayoade and enjoys his brand of sarcastic dry humour.
Faye*
Mar 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Richard Ayoade's academic analysis of the 2003 Gwyneth Paltrow movie "View From The Top". Sounds ridiculous? It is. But I thought this was a really original, fun idea and I just enjoy Ayoade's humour. So it was a win for me.
Tara
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the funniest book I’ve read in ages. Richard Ayoade is a straight up G.

Amy
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This is so ridiculous I want everything I write in the future to be like this.
Catka
Intermittently funny.
Kirstie Ellen
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
This was weirdly hilarious. I thought I had signed up for comedic memoirs, but this turned into a 5 hour review of a film I've never even heard of. I loved it, I laughed, and I was enlightened. Thank you Ayoade for making this film known to me.

Ayoade on Top
To say the least, this was not what I was expecting it to be, but I enjoyed it immensely nonetheless. This isn't *quite* a memoir, it's definitely more of an incredibly in-depth review of View from the Top that A
Sergey Bir
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Good time lovers
What is this weird feeling? Am I enjoying myself? Is this what joy is? It's been so long since I've last felt this intense unmistakable, unpolluted pure delight in what I'm doing and what im doing is reading a long ass review of a movie I haven't even seen and haven't planned on seeing. I could be doing something important with my time and the book promptly warns me that yes, I could and should be doing something else but then again everything else is so very unpleasantly entangled with nervousn ...more
Pamela  (Here to Read Books and Chew Gum)
Richard Ayoade might be a genius. In Ayoade on Top he's managed to simultaneously make fun of the 2003 Gwyneth Paltrow cabin crew dramedy View From The Top, give it artistic integrity, satirise the act of criticism, and give some genuinely profound insights on modern-day life - all while being laugh-out-loud funny.

I've been trying to listen to more audiobooks lately, and this is one of the rare ones I've found that actually benefited from the format. Ayoade reads his own work, which is always a

• Dishonesty Is the Second-Best Policy: And Other Rules to Live By
  • Lost Property
  • Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back
  • From the Oasthouse: The Alan Partridge Podcast
  • Ramble Book
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • Harlem 69: The Future of Soul (The Soul Trilogy)
  • Boundless (Drizzt Trilogy #2)
  • The Woman in the Photograph
  • Clear Bright Future: A Radical Defence of the Human Being
  • Punk Rock Jesus
Richard Ellef Ayoade is a British comedian, film director, screenwriter, television presenter, actor, and author best known for his role as the socially awkward IT technician Maurice Moss in Channel 4 sitcom The IT Crowd, for which he won the 2014 BAFTA for Best Male Comedy Performance.

News & Interviews

“Cinema helps us to remember that although we all have the right to shine, some of us must shine in the background, out of focus, and not too brightly.” 12 likes
“When my parents weren’t watching the news, they were either waiting to watch the news or recovering from watching the news. The news confirmed their feeling that things were terrible everywhere, and there was nothing anyone could do about it apart from keep abreast of developments. I’ve avoided the news ever since.” 6 likes