Start by marking “Uki and the Outcasts” as Want to Read:
Uki and the Outcasts

Uki and the Outcasts

(The Five Realms #4)

From bestselling author and winner of the Blue Peter Best Story Book Award, Uki and the Outcasts is the first in a new trilogy set in the world of Podkin One-Ear.

'EXCELLENT,' says the bard. 'It's
probably a good idea for you to know about him.'
'Wait . . . him? Who's him?' said Rue.
'Uki,' says the bard. 'Uki Patchwork. The Magpie Demon. Uki of the Two Furs.'

From the Ice Was
Published September 5th 2019 by Faber Faber (first published September 3rd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Uki and the Outcasts, please sign up.
Autumn It has come out on Kindle and will be out physically very very very soon, in this month!

Start your review of Uki and the Outcasts
Dean
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A five realms book without Podkin? I was shocked and a little disappointed when I found out that our favourite hero would not be leading the adventures in Kieran Larwood’s fourth book in the five realms series, but I was also excited and intrigued to find out more… Who is Uki?
Uki is very different to Podkin, an outcast who earns your sympathy straight away as opposed to the spoilt rich chieftain’s son who you slowly grow to love. Uki and his mother are demonised in their village. Kieran cleverly
Anne
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great tale from the bard full of adventure and heart.
Alastair Gooderham
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastically imagined characters and a story that adds to the growing excitement and intrigue in the story.
I _teach_muggles
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This has been sat on my 'To Be Read Pile’ for way too long and I'm so glad that I finally got round to reading it. Following on from his trilogy of stories set within the Five Realms about Podkin One-Ear, Kieran Larwood tells the tale of another brave and heroic rabbit with his first book in a new series, Uki and the Outcasts.

Uki never fitted in with his tribe. He was born with half-black, half-white fur and had mismatched eyes. After being forced to flee his village, Uki lay beneath a shallow s
Esther
May 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Although I did enjoy this it definitely wasn't as good as the others. Mostly because I've enjoy Podkin and Paz as characters while Uki and Jori and Kree were cool they weren't as interesting or normal I guess. Also I have a feeling of unease about Kree for no reason. There were lots of details in this one so you really have to pay attention (Ed Sheeran plus this= 😍🤩😀😐😶🤪☹️🧐😠). Im looking forward to the next one which is published like October or something which will hopefully bring Uki and Podkin ...more
Stephen Connor
In Podkin’s world, but not Podkin; instead we meet Uki, a rabbit who experienced bullying so severe that his mother took him away from their warren, a move which cost her her life.

Uki is visited by a spirit, one whose mission is to stop the other freed spirits from causing carnage and mayhem across the Five Realms.

A fine addition to the series, linking nicely to Podkin with the continued presence of the bard and Rue, whose story is beginning to develop nicely itself.
David Barker
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ukin' brilliant.
A great tale within a tale of Uki and his friends trying to capture evil spirits who have escaped from their super-natural prison. Fantastic world-building of course, fully rounded characters and plenty of tension and pace. A perfect slice of fantasy for little ones and not-so-little ones.
Kafl
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this series, i would give this 4th book 6 out of 5 if i could. Kieran Larwood's world has just expanded immensely, a whole new set of characters brought in and yet it all comes together. The new characters of Uki, Jori and Kree are brilliant. I am glad to see the series will continue, can't wait for the next book! ...more
Paula Crabb
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Frances
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Didnt realise this wasnt the first in the series when I picked it up but managed without prior knowledge. This is a great adventure for top junior and young teens with characters you cant help but take to. We are left on a cliffhanger so will eagerly await the next story, as well as look for the previous ones.
Eleanor Slater
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-bookcase
BRING ME THE NEXT INSTALMENT IMMEDIATELY! ....please?!? As ever Kieran Larwood weaves a brilliantly paced and gripping story filled with mythology and magic, spirits and swords - Uki is possibly better than Podkin... it's a close thing! Cannot wait for the next book :) ...more
Rebekkah Jayne
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, cant wait for the next one to be out in paperback. I love reading the bard and his adventures how they relate to the new story and truly show that everything is linked. It's such an amazing read! ...more
Nobi Nobes
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great! I love this series sooooo much! The adventure was great! Can’t wait for the next one to come out in September!
Zoë
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Not as strong as the Podkin series, but great characters and exciting plot to keep us engaged.
Viki Holmes
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this latest addition to Kieran Larwood's Five Realms worlds. Uki is a marvelous character, and I love the Gang of Misfits trope. Larwood has created a marvelously believable fantasy world, adopts a fascinating framing device with the bards' storytelling; and presents gorgeously authentic reflections on friendship, identity and loyalty without ever being twee.

Just marvelous.
Dennis Holly
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Left on a cliffhanger!
Edward
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really amazing start to a new trilogy. Sets the villains and heroes early in the story and very clearly. Very exciting at times and lots of suspense and cliff-hangers. Depressing start but amazing.
Victoria Wilton
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love this series of books! Wonderful characters in a fascinating world!
Robin Bilton
great!! fantasy at first but then it kinda becomes sci-fi
Megan
Jan 14, 2020
tilly king
Jan 27, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief (Adventures on Trains, #1)
  • Orphans of the Tide (Orphans of the Tide #1)
  • The Land of Roar
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • The Wall
  • Orion Lost
  • Sky Song
  • The Silent Ones
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Frostheart (Frostheart, #1)
  • The Golden Horsemen of Baghdad (Flashbacks)
  • The Forbidden Expedition
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • 29 Seconds
Kieran Larwood is the author of Freaks, and was the winner of the Times/Chicken House Children’s Fiction Competition 2011.
Kieran is one of only two male Reception class teachers on the Isle of Wight.
His days mainly consist of singing nursery rhymes, tying shoelaces, trying to locate who has had an ‘accident’ by sense of smell alone, and vast, endless mountains of paperwork.
Kieran graduated from S

The Five Realms (6 books)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • The Gift of Dark Hollow (The Five Realms #2)
  • The Beasts of Grimheart (The Five Realms #3)
  • Uki and the Swamp Spirit