Start by marking “Humble Pie” as Want to Read:
Humble Pie

Humble Pie

Gordon Ramsay became the world's most famous and infamous chef. This autobiography talks about his difficult childhood - his father's alcoholism and violence, his brother's heroin addiction, his failed first career as a footballer, his working relationship (and subsequent feud) with Marco Pierre White, and his kitchen life.
Published 2007 by HarperTorch (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Humble Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Humble Pie

Start your review of Humble Pie
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
When we read biographies, we all want honesty. Humble Pie delivers this - Ramsay doesn't hold back on personal issues and struggles with members of his family, rivals in the industry, or other personal grievances. He admits when he did "jerk moments" in his youth and when he did the wrong thing. He admits not noticing a friend's drug habit before it was too late, and he admits wanting to build boundaries toward his brother because of the continuous and draining heroin addiction.

The writing style
Tan Markovic
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5

Wish this was 10 times longer to be honest; this man's passion for food is amazing to me 😍...
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
Whenever Ramsay's name comes up in the media, it's to do with his jerky attitude on his reality television show. But Humble Pie is more about his life away from his celebrity chef status, and who he was before he was the host of Hell's Kitchen. From child abuse to sports competitions, this book tells a whole story that you don't see featured on TV.
Gemma
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. So glad I finally got round to finishing this.
Loved the writing style.
Gordon is an incredibly driven and down to earth person. This book is a real eye opener to his early years.
Naksed
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I LOVE this guy. My whole family watch his shows avidly. I have enjoyed his restaurants.
The first chapter of this book was raw and riveting, leaving me with goosebumps.

Unfortunately, the rest read like a quick ghostwriter copy and paste job sprinting through the stages of Ramsay's life without pausing for breath. It glossed over so many details and left me with the impression that he started his restaurant empire by filching his buddy's girlfriend, who had a father with connections and capital
Val Penny
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Everyone thinks they know the real Gordon Ramsay: rude, loud, driven, stubborn. Bearing in mind his turbulent private life I find it funny when he gives conciliatory family advice on his Kitchen Nightmares television program. However, this is his own story. In this bestselling autobiography, Humble Pie, Ramsay tells his life story starting long before he became the world’s most famous and infamous chef. He tells openly of his difficult childhood. Ramsay talks frankly about his tough childhood, t ...more
Nov 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I LOVE Gordon Ramsay. Now I just need to get past the fact that he has four kids and never changed a diaper, which was really the only thing about this book I didn't like.
Nada
“I know how it feels to be in a corner, unnoticed and unloved.”

Ramsay's brutal honest is the best part of this tell-all autobiography. I connected with his struggle, I admired his determination, and I'm most certainly inspired by his wit and strength.

It's a story about how you can transform your pain into power. He never stopped at anything, he kept on pushing every hurdle and every limit. He deserved his success because he worked very, very hard to reach where he is today.

Although Humble Pie la
chucklesthescot
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a surprisingly good biography, written in the no nonsense style that you would expect, complete with expletives.

He talks frankly about his shocking childhood-his mother used as a punchbag by his cheating alcoholic father, the poverty the family lived in, the frequent moves all over the country each time his dad lost a job, the family going hungry while his dad wasted all his money on his dead end singing career. It's pretty shocking to imagine families having to live like that. He goes o
Michael Gardner
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
If I’d reviewed this book when I read it, I would’ve given it more stars. Granted, I was lying on a beach in Fiji at the time of reading. We didn’t have a Kindle at that point and hadn’t taken enough books to last the holiday, so I was reading it cover to cover no matter what dammit! And lying on a beach in Fiji with a book is an absolutely magnificent way to spend time, so I probably would’ve read and enjoyed The Da Vinci Code if that had been the only available read.

I am a foodie. I like to co
Jennifer Dustin
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-chefs
I've been a Gordon Ramsay fan since well before his volatile tv persona was snatched up and appropriated by Fox TV here in the US. This autobiography gives insight into the rough background that gave Ramsay his drive and you can see how Ramsay the persona has been developed to keep him (and the "machine" behind him, the staff, the restaurants, the people with families that the Ramsay name now supports) at the top. While I feel like Ramsay sold his soul to Fox to make the crap television that the ...more
Speranza
I love Gordon Ramsay, but this book is not the best piece of literature or of humility, for that matter.
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Gordon so much and listening to his life story and how he got successful is truly amazing and he narrates the book himself so it's like he's talking to us. Very inspirational and an interesting read. Entertaining and humorous at times. Total respect for this guy.
תניה
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star-enjoyment
This provides a n insight into why Gordon Ramsay is the way he is - ambitious, perfectionist, fair. Although I'm an admirer, I do believe that he is not perfect, but that only makes him more human to me.

I don't believe that he is a misogynist - there aren't a lot of female chefs, specially head chefs, yet he boast about 3 running his restaurants. I also think he's just being truthful when he admits to never having changed a nappy. We live in a PC world in which the knee jerk reaction to this so
Beth
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a genuinely entertaining read from the chef everyone has an opinion about. Love him or hate him (I'm in the former camp), he's a fascinating character.

I was surprised to learn about his very difficult childhood, with an alcoholic, womanizing father, and constant moves due to bill collectors. His childhood poverty makes it much easier to understand why he is so driven. It was heartbreaking to read about his brother, an addict. Anyone who has ever had anyone like that in their lives will
Emma
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m so glad I decided to pick up this book! My boyfriend is low-key obsessed with Gordon Ramsay, whereas Jamie Oliver is more my style, but this book made me reconsider. Gordon is very honest about his struggles in his youth, and the competition in the restaurant business. At times it kind of felt like reading a true crime thriller! Would absolutely recommend if you want to learn more about the restaurant business, and nit so much the art of cooking.
Shana
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you are a Gordon Ramsay fan this book is a must have. If you are not a fan it's still a great read. There's everything in this autobiography. There's love, drama, sadness, broken dreams and fulfilled dreams. Here Gordon Ramsay tells all about his life and working his way to the top of the culinary field.

My favorite parts are when Gordan tells about his sad relationship with his brother Ronnie and dealing with Ronnie's drug addiction. Anyone who has had a family member who was involved in dru
Nonito Abbu
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Humble Pie is an interesting peek into the life of one of the most controversial celebrity chefs. This is a story about how he clawed his way up the culinary ladder, from his dysfunctional family life to his current fame as a successful Michelin-starred chef. As expected, Ramsay did not spare any expletive, and the book is peppered with his usual "bollocks" and "fuck" ejaculations. Very raw and sincere, just like a good memoir should be.

What I liked about the book is the inside-story on Ramsay'
Margie
Jun 13, 2010 rated it liked it
I was really surprised by this. I had actually downloaded it as an ebook to test my new reader, quite simply because of the affordable price. I think I may have bought the condensed version because it was quite short but it was really very interesting. I'm not normally a biography sort of person but am very glad I bought this. My only exposure to Gordon Ramsay before reading this book was through his reality TV shows, of which I have only seen one episode. This definitely painted a very differen ...more
Michael
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
It's not often that I pick up an autobiography but I've wanted to read Humble Pie for a while now. I have a lot of respect for Gordon Ramsay, what he has achieved and his cooking, I trained as a chef years ago, I have always enjoyed cooking and have worked in kitchens since I was 13, and i always wanted to work for Gordon Ramsay. (Anyway my career took a different turn).

The autobiography was well written and gave a wonderful insight into Ramsay's life and what has given him his drive. He is a lo
jazz-ee2
Apr 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I really wasn't interested in the football career or even restaurants of Gordon Ramsay, however I was intrigued to know of his childhood and background, so started reading this book thinking I would only read the first couple of chapters then pass it on. It captivated me so much, however, that before I knew it I was romping towards the end of the book...

Very readable, whilst it doesn't necessarily endear me to Gordon Ramsay (quite the opposite at times) it does give some insight into the man beh
Nancy
Dec 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoirs, foodie, celebrity
I read a 60-page highly abridged version of this book and found it to be an interesting insight into the famous chef's beginnings, how he moved up the career ladder and found himself to be a celebrity. His voice is so unique that I could practically hear him reciting the book to me as I read it.
Matthew Trevithick
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, lucky enough to get a signed out of print hardcover edition for Christmas. I started my first business armed with little more than notes from religiously watching the British version of Kitchen Nightmares, documenting the obsession with fundamentals, simplicity, and dedication, and throwing everything else out.

It was enjoyable reading about the guy behind the celebrity - and the book does a nice job with the self-awareness of ‘playing the game’ (Hollywood TV and swea
Shalini | Muffytales
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brutally honest memoir! Review coming soon.
Ferna Simbulan
It didn’t feel right to rate a chef’s autobiography for the quality of writing so I’m leaving this unrated.

I bought the book just because I love Gordon Ramsay. I was curious to learn about his personal life and how he built his empire. I very much adored him before reading the book, and it strengthens his image in my mind as a genuine, witty, conscientious and down-to-earth man.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
Dane Cobain
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the second of two Ramsay autobiographies on the market, the other being Playing with Fire, and although it probably didn’t help that I read the two of them out of order, I do think that Playing with Fire was better. That said, they do cover different subject matter, except for in the last sixty or so pages of Humble Pie which would essentially act as an introduction to the second book, if you read them in order. It’s just kind of hard to read about something that he’s looking forward to ...more
Andy
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I love Gordon but for some reason I thought his autobiography was going to be quite arrogant... I was wrong. I knew he had an obscure past but reading about it made me understand a bit more his character. I've always seen him as a very strict, hard working man and now I get why.
What I loved the most was that he constantly repeated: "I worked my ass off." That's what you have to do when you want to achieve your goals. Now he is one of the best chefs, with more than ten Michelin stars and a series
Reem
As a long time fan of Gordon Ramsay, I'm surprised it took me that long to pick up his autobiography to read and I'm glad that I did it in the end. It gave me a full perspective of Gordon and not just mere assumptions based on TV shows and interviews.

Although this book lacked any elegance, it certainly has the charm of a wicked man in a such fierce industry. What made this book exceptionally great is the extreme honesty of his which made everything intriguing enough and believable.
Pippa
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Finished in one day. GR comes across as extremely honest and heartfelt in this book narrated by himself. His character is carried across well. Enjoyed the book but it lacked depth. I would recommend as a good travelling companion.

• The Sound of Laughter
  • The Devil in the Kitchen: Sex, Pain, Madness and the Making of a Great Chef
  • Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian
  • May I Have Your Attention, Please?
  • Being Jordan: My Autobiography
  • My Life
  • On the Edge
  • The Life of Lee
  • Winning Without Losing: 66 Strategies for Succeeding in Business While Living a Happy and Balanced Life
  • Gordon Ramsay: The Biography
  • Notting Hill Carnival (Quick Reads): A West Side Story (Quick Reads 2020)
  • It's Not What You Think
  • Only Fools and Stories: From Del Boy to Granville, Pop Larkin to Frost
  • Stalin's Englishman: The Lives of Guy Burgess
  • Complicated
  • The Little Dreams of Lara Cliffe: Quick Reads 2020
  • The Locked Ward: The Memoir of a Psychiatric Orderly
  • Life, on the Line: A Chef's Story of Chasing Greatness, Facing Death, and Redefining the Way We Eat
Gordon James Ramsay, OBE, is a British chef, television personality and restaurateur. He has been awarded a total of 16 Michelin Stars, and in 2001 became one of only three chefs in the United Kingdom to hold three Michelin stars at one time. Ramsay currently ranks 3rd in the world in terms of Michelin Stars behind Joël Robuchon and Alain Ducasse.

Ramsay is known for presenting TV programmes about

News & Interviews

“But I love women chefs: they are intelligent, they are fast learners, and they can be tough. As for the effect the have on the boys, its entirely positive. Put a woman in a kitchen and discipline will improve, if anything: the guys have being told off in front of the girls. It's a playground thing - they just find it embarrassing.” 8 likes
“I don't think people grasp the real me when they see me on television. I've got the wonderful family, the big house, the flash car. I run several of the world's best restaurants. I'm running round, cursing and swearing, telling people what to do. They probably think: that flash bastard. But my life, like most people's, is about hard work. It's about success. Beyond that, though, something else is at play. I'm as driven as any man you'll ever meet. When I think about myself, I still see a little boy who is desperate to escape, and keen to please. I just keep going, moving as far away as possible from where I began. Work is who I am, who I want to be. I sometimes think that if I were to stop working, I'd stop existing.” 3 likes