Start by marking “Bloom” as Want to Read:
Bloom

Bloom

Now that high school is over, Ari is dying to move to the big city with his ultra-hip band—if he can just persuade his dad to let him quit his job at their struggling family bakery. Though he loved working there as a kid, Ari cannot fathom a life wasting away over rising dough and hot ovens. But while interviewing candidates for his replacement, Ari meets Hector, an easygo ...more
Published January 29th 2019 by First Second

Riley
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was so adorable!! if you're looking for two soft boys baking and falling in love, look no further!
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
I was having a really crummy day but then I decided to read my ARC of this. It was so fun and easy to read. A great story that took my emotions for a ride.
Thank you to First Second for providing me with an ARC

|blog|

Bottom Line:
5 Stars: Yuri on Icing 😉
Age Recommendation: 13+ (Occasional swearing, brief kiss)
Cover: 3/5
Plot: 4/5
Characters 5/5
Dylan
4.5 stars.

This was ADORABLE, had amazing art, some really well written parts, and I LOVED that it discussed not knowing what you want to do with your life post high school-which is so important as a huge amount of teens have the same inner struggles.

4.5 stars from me though because I needed more of the adorable romance because it only started to take off maybe the last 15% of the book.

Thanks so much to Fierce Reads for sending me an early copy for review!
Vitor Martins
Um quadrinho lindo e extremamente sensível sobre se apaixonar, compartilhar pequenas intimidades e decidir as prioridades da sua vida. Ari e Hector se conectam de uma forma muito bonita e isso fica muito evidente nos diálogos e nos detalhes da arte. As flores que ~desabrocham~ conforme eles vão ficando próximos me deixou 100% soft e eu seria capaz de ler mais 500 páginas sobre a vida deles dois.

Also: PADARIAS!
Julie Zantopoulos
I got this as an arc and the file was corrupt and unreadable but I was able to get about 65 pages into it and was intrigued enough to purchase a finished copy and I'm glad I did. It was a sweet story about Ari who doesn't want his life to consist of his parent's bakery and Hector who only wants to bake. It's about a boy who wants to be in a band, to get out from under his parent's expectations and a boy who makes him see how wonderful things are right where he is.

I didn't love Hector as a chara
Romie
that was absolutely adorable! I'm so glad I got to buddy read this with my friend Laura because we were both in a cute mood and it was perfection! I loved how baking is such an important part of this graphic novel, you can see how much it means to both characters and how baking shaped most of their lives. the romance was also adorable, with a little slow burn, from strangers to best friends to lovers. perfect! and the art is absolutely beautiful! (4.25)
anna (readingpeaches)
Blog | Twitter Instagram | Bloglovin | Reads Rainbow

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Ari is Greek and his parents own a bakery, where he helps out. But his real dream is to finish school and move to Baltimore with his friends to play music. That all changes once he meets Hector, a boy who came to this little town to take care of his late grandma's house. It's not the typical love story you might expect at this point, though, where the power of love
Kyle
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3.25

I really dug the muted colors— all blends of blue/blue-grays/blue-greens/black & white. Oftentimes, simple coloring is necessary, and it worked well here. The art itself wasn’t overly-detailed, either. I noticed some of the production sketches in the back of the book, and they were full of little details, and I sort of wished we had more of that and not just the vague strokes of the finished product. The story was also more on the simplistic side with your typical Summer ‘
Marie
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases, arcs
Soft boys and baked goods, this book was so heartwarming, I loved it! <3
Full review coming soon!

Thank you to MacMillan International for the e-ARC of this book and to JM @ Book Freak Revelations for inviting me along for the Bloom Blog Tour. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
TheYALibrarian
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh, lgbtq
Rating 3 Stars

Pros:
-The art style is cartoony and adorable.
-The monochromatic blue pallet was interesting and worked well.
-The world doesn't deserve Hector he's so pure and wonderful.

Cons:
-Ari is a whiny little brat that I couldn't stand.
-Ari's friends are dicks to Hector and to basically each other.
-Ari throws Hector under the bus more than once.
-Just Ari period. Hector deserves way better.
-Dialogue was all stilted and weird with abbreviations. It was like the author forgot how teenagers talk.
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
Read my full review and blog tour post here: https://readingthroughinfinity.com/20...

Thanks to Macmillan International and First Second books for gifting me this in exchange for an honest review.

Bloom centres around Ari, a queer teen of Greek descent, and Hector, a black, queer teen, who moves to Ari’s town for the summer to clear out his late Grandmother’s home. Ari begins the story despondent and frustrated because he feels his father is holding him back, rather than encouraging him t
Sofia
This was such a wholesome read. I adored the art style - the monochromatic blue color scheme worked so well. There were so many baking montage pages that were GORGEOUS and just so peaceful to read. My only criticism for this book was that I wasn't a huge fan of the protagonist. The love interest, Hector, was SUCH a sweetheart but Ari... was kind of a dick. There's a part of me that feels like Hector deserves better BUT I did enjoy seeing the two of them together.

If you want a soft, calming graph
Shiku
Ohhhhh my gosh. I'm following the artist's webcomic George and Johnny, which is all kinds of adorable and cute, and when I saw this book's cover, the style seemed incredibly familiar but I couldn't instantly place it. BUT NOW I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS.

More on "Bloom".
Anniek
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute graphic novel! I really enjoyed it, and I loved the characters. My favourite thing about this is the art, which is very emotive. The writing felt a tad forced at times, breaking the flow of the story a little. Another minor criticism is that I thought the story was pretty slow to start, while the ending was kind of rushed. But overall, it's a highly enjoyable graphic novel about bakery boyfriends!
Julianne Godoy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much perfect.
Laura (bbliophile)
This was adorable! I really enjoyed the story, the bakery setting and I especially liked the art and the coloring!
Trin
Really cute gay romance centered around a bakery in a little beachside community. The art is adorable--stylistically, it reminds me a lot of Heartstopper--and the side characters are all nicely developed and well-realized; the whole world of this book, actually, is just so charming (though not without conflict) and it feels rich and real. There's a turn toward melodrama toward the end of the story that I didn't really care for, and in conjunction with that, one of the characters does something t ...more
Ivy
Jan 14, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"Still waiting for a reviewer to call Bloom “Yuri on Icing” - Kevin Panetta 32 minutes ago on Twitter.

Bloom is Yuri on Icing.

(You're welcome, Kevin)
JM Cabral
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baking and gay boys. That's it. That's the review... Naaah, I'm just messing with y'all! Bloom has been on my radar ever since I read Check, Please!: Book 1: #Hockey by Ngozi Ukazu. I saw it on Twitter plenty of times, and after a quick Goodreads search, I knew I was sold! As a graduate of Hotel & Restaurant Management, and an innate foodie who loves to bake, I can't help but feel like this entire book was written, I don't know... FOR ME! I seriously didn't think I needed this graphic novel ...more
Rebecca (Coffeebooksandjournals)
Thank you to Netgalley for a copy of an earc for an honest review.

I loved this graphic novel Bloom. I really like the art style and the story too. I loved the friendship and relationship of Ari and Hector. I didn’t like some of Ari’s friends and how they treated him and Hector too. I definitely want to get this when it comes out next month. I absolutely recommend it. This is my favorite graphic novel I’ve read so far. I gave this a five out of five stars.
Lance
4.5 Stars. That was just... just so wholesome. Just what I needed. Full RTC.
Christy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The payoff was WORTH THE WAIT. RTC!
Erica &#x1f4da;♋️✨&#x1f338;
This was so cute i loved it so much totally recommend if you love cute male/male romances ❤ ...more
Stephanie
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was SO CUTE and SO WONDERFUL.
Bianca (The Ultimate Fangirl)
It was so refreshingly cute. 😍 I should really get to reading more graphic novels because I seem to miss out on a lot of amazing reads such as this one.

I first fell in love with the art style, and then slowly but surely for the blossoming (heh, get it lol) love that happened in this book. I resonated with Ari personally but I rooted for Hector the minute he graced the page. Honestly what's not to love?

Full review to come, still. But I do hope you include this wonderful novel on your TBRs and rea
Jay G
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Thank you to FirstSecond and Raincoast Books for the copy!

Ari works at his family bakery but dreams of moving to Baltimore to pursue a career in music with his friends. The bakery has been struggling for some time now and Ari will need to find a replacement if he wants to leave. That's when Hector moves to town looking for a job and stumbles across the bakery. Ari instantly hires Hecto
Ryan
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After graduating from high school, Ari plans to move to the city with his friends in a band and make it big. Unfortunately, his parents have run into some financial difficulties and need Ari to stay at home and work at the family bakery. Ari puts up flyers to find a replacement so he can go pursue his dreams and the family hires Hector fresh out of culinary school. Ari hopes to get out of town, but he sticks around longer than he expects.

This graphic novel is beautiful in so many ways. The art
Therese
3.5 stars.

Read this whilst at a bookstore in between classes. Such an adorable story with two immensely adorable leads! I adored seeing their love flourish and their happiness along with it. Furthermore, I really enjoyed the familial aspects of this graphic novel.

The art was also spectacular. I'm in awe of the pages.

This is a very cute read. I think it'd be great to read in the summer!
Jessie_Book
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book feels like a warm hug of adorableness, it takes you up into its arms and sweeps you away. Bloom is a quick fun read that features great LGBTQ representation. I loved how realist and heartfelt all the relationships seemed. The art looks so good you can practically smell the bread off the page. I only wish that there was more, because it is a graphic novel I didn't feel like we got into the nitty gritty. Hopefully there will be a sequel! I wan't more of Ari and Hector!!!
Jenny Tran-Le
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5⭐ Soft cute bakery boys in love. What more can you ask? I love the illustrations and all the baking scenes. This graphic novel was just overall very sweet and beautiful! I absolutely LOVE Hector. He is an actuel angel. As for Ari I found him to be a bit annoying though I can understand why. Another thing I really love about this story was the family relationship!
Panels Book Club: Bloom 1 4 Feb 14, 2019 06:42PM
  • How Not to Ask a Boy to Prom
  • DeadEndia: The Watcher's Test
  • アゲイン!! 1 (Again!!, #1)
  • A Place For Wolves
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • O Human Star, Volume One
  • Hold My Hand
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy #2)
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel