Start by marking “Demon in the Whitelands” as Want to Read:
Demon in the Whitelands

Demon in the Whitelands

DEMON IN THE WHITELANDS is LET THE RIGHT ONE IN meets INTO THE FOREST, a debut YA novel from Nikki Richard.

Sometimes no matter how hard you try, some things cannot be explained.

Sixteen-year-old Samuel, son of devout cleric, has endured shame and prejudice his entire life. Although he is destined to become clergy too, he longs for an ordinary life in the whitelands away fr
Published September 24th 2019 by Month9Books

To ask other readers questions about Demon in the Whitelands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon in the Whitelands

Start your review of Demon in the Whitelands
Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Jun 13, 2019 marked it as to-read
this promises much angst and I am always here for that okay
Adri
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, queer-lit, ownvoices
3.5/5 Stars

TWs: gore; violence; descriptions of graphic injury, hunting game, and medical procedures; mentions of physical abuse, brief discussions about attempted sexual assault; branding of human flesh.

This book is dark, but Nikki Z. Richard has crafted a fascinating dystopian society populated characters who are uncertain and afraid. At its heart, I think this story is about being different and how we fear those who are different, often to our own detriment.

This is a world built on acts of vi
Tracy Gold
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an early draft of this book and I adored it then and can’t wait to see the final product! If you are looking for an atmospheric, creepy, dystopian book that wrestles with religion, gender, and the concepts of strangeness and fear, you’ve come to the right place.
The Reading Raccoon
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-as-an-arc
Demon in the Whitelands started and ended strong but the middle sagged a little. Yes, there is a lot of action and even violence but it still felt a little flat for me. I needed a little more from it and felt like the main character was more of a passive participant in his world during the middle section and didn’t finally take any action until the end. I appreciated the mystery of both this dystopian world and the demon and would read more (if it is a series) just to see what happens.
Joe Trigiani
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!

When archaic traditions divide us, it will eventually lead to a revolution. Anyone who feels like an outsider will find it easy to empathize with the main character. It can be dangerous to be true to yourself but we all must learn to stand up for what we believe. Very exciting, could not put it down! Can’t wait for part two!
Katie Nunnery
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
While introducing a new world without info dump is always a struggle for first fantasy novels, Richards builds an intriguing world, slowly and subtly. Although the first chapter does feel a little clunky in this way, the rest of the novel is very smooth about giving the reader information at the right moment and in an engaging way.

The Whitelands is one of three political States formed after a religious and political crisis. The Whitelands, the Greenlands, and the Redlands are largely defined by
Sara
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Because there was so much apocalyptic YA fiction, it is rare to find something truly different, but Nicki Richard’s Demon in the White Lands delivers just that. Samuel, the main character of the novel, is not gifted with magic by birth or circumstance. This lack of “Chosen One” status is what sets Demon in the White Lands apart from many other entries into the genre. Samuel is relatable, a flawed character whose decisions seem realistic. Also, because Samule is not special in a traditional YA se ...more
Anne
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but I’m not sure who I would recommend it to. Based on the cover design and synopsis I was surprised to discover I was reading a futuristic dystopia novel. It walks the line between a fantasy and post-apocalyptic well without succumbing to any of the typical post apocalyptic tropes. The story felt rushed to me at the end of book.
Sanyukta Thakare
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Demon in the Whitelands is literally about a demon found in the Whitelands, however, thought out the book we get more of everything else but the demon in the Whitelands.

The dystopian fantasy follows Sam aka Samuel who cannot touch anyone, no one likes to look at him let alone talk to him. The reason being he is a bastard and that too of a cleric. The story takes on as the small scrawny kid becomes the town's biggest criminal and saves a bunch of people but also ends up causing a lot of death.

H
Kaili (Entertainingly Nerdy)
So, I really have mixed feelings about this book. I picked it up because for one I really like the cover. What can I say...I'm a visual person. The second reason is because the synopsis sounded really good. But I was kind of thrown off. I know this isn't a horror book but I figured there would be horror elements from the way the book sounded. The start of the book ran off with a bang and the ending ran off with a bang but the middle is a little slow. The demon in the Whitelands has an interestin ...more
anna grace
2.5 stars, the actual rating will probably change based on how i feel in the moment, rn i feel generous

honestly i’m not sure how i felt about this? so here’s a list of some thoughts

-the overall story was interesting
-i definitely wanted to keep reading it which is good
-the writing itself was kinda boring though
-it was very gory and dark and depressing
-the beginning of the book was really slow paced but then it sped up near the end
-i thought the incorporation of religion was interesting but some o
Bethany
Sep 28, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF at around 35%

I wanted to love this, but was really uncomfortable with how interactions between Samuel and the "demon girl" are handled. It read kind of like sexual grooming of a child and I just couldn't deal with it. That may not have been the intention of the author, but I was uncomfortable with it and chose not to continue. I was sent a copy of this book for review, which I do appreciate, but I think this is not for me.
Debbie P
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really great read!
Meerkatmarcato
Nov 20, 2019

• Reverie
  • The German Heiress
  • Merged
  • Thorn (Dauntless Path, #1)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary King, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • What You Want To See (Roxane Weary, #2)
  • As the Shadow Rises (The Age of Darkness, #2)
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Junk Shop Blues (Criminal Intentions: Season One #2)
  • Murder Takes the High Road
  • The Cobbler's Boy
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Widening Gyre (The Remembrance War #1)
  • The Ancestor
Nikki Zelda Richard is a sensitive queer writer with moods and coping mechanisms. An MFA graduate from the University of Baltimore, she is currently pursuing her PhD at Morgan State University.

Her upcoming YA queer dystopian novel, Demon in the Whitelands, will be published by Month9Books on September 24, 2019.