Jump to ratings and reviews

Broken Scars

Ruined. Tortured. Broken.

What could have been the perfect childhood, turned into a hell that the devil himself would shy away from. I was forced to deal with an evil that would make the darkest of souls cringe.

Lily Noel was scarred but beautiful. She was perfectly flawed and everything that I needed.

Attraction bordered on obsession.
Passion bordered on ecstasy.
Addiction bordered on insanity.

Nothing could get in the way of our love.
Nothing...

*This book contains dark themes including sexual assault and past child abuse*

320 pages, Paperback

First published July 4, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

J.M. Walker

89 books1,167 followers
J.M. Walker, a Canadian author, is an Amazon bestseller who also hit USA Today with Wanted: An Outlaw Anthology. She loves all things books, pigs and lip gloss. She is happily married to the man who inspires all of her Heroes and continues to make her weak in the knees every single day.

"Above all, be the HEROINE of your own life..." ~ Nora Ephron

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
29 (4%)
1 star
10 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 191 reviews
Profile Image for Sophie Ruthven.
1,592 reviews97 followers
August 8, 2021
Wow just wow.
I probably shouldn't be writing a review right now as I'm still speechless and emotionally drained from this book, but I couldn't not shout from the rooftops about it.
EVERYBODY NEEDS TO READ THIS.
The author has hit it out of the park with this book, it was a long time in the making and now I understand why.
I'm not normally that emotional when reading, but this book had me jumping up and down and nearly breaking my kindle all the way through.
Rose lovers beware, you will despise them by the end of the book.
Wish I could give this masterpiece more stars.
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Profile Image for Rose.
1,621 reviews
Broken Scars By J.M.Walker
First I have to say that I think I've read every book that J.M. Walker has written. NOW, I have to say that Broken Scars has been the best book I've read from her so far. Second, when I saw the cover for the book well, you just say, WOW! Lucas Crane and Lily Noel story is so intense and emotional that I cannot find the words to describe the feelings I had when I finish the book. The plot is breathtaking, you will laugh, cry, get mad, curse a little, swoon and fell in love with this amazing characters. This book deserves more than 5 stars and it's a MUST READ!!!
Profile Image for Nicole*bookaholic*.
405 reviews24 followers
February 20, 2020
Wow. This book was something. Ok so Lucas has such a bad past. The sexual abuse was horrendous. Lily also had a bad past. Both suffer from addiction. They meet when they needed each other without even knowing it. They faced a lot of obstacles. A lot. There was also a couple twists in there that I was not expecting. This was my first book by J.M. Walker. It was really good.
Profile Image for J.M. Walker.
Author 89 books1,167 followers
April 26, 2022

A LITTLE HISTORY:
Lucas Crane has been a side character throughout most of my older books but now he finally gets his happily ever after.

AUTHOR NOTE:
Please don't take the warning lightly. This is a dark book, so if you have any triggers, please read with caution.
Profile Image for CeCe.
3,338 reviews109 followers
August 21, 2021
Did not work for me. It all felt forced and awkward. I see what the author was trying to do, but it did not flow.
Hero is a tattoo artist and the heroine is a hacker.
DNF.
It would have been better if author stuck to one POV.
Profile Image for Kim BookJunkie ~ Editor & Proofreader.
1,874 reviews56 followers
October 18, 2021
Lots of repetition (rub/rubbed the back of my/his/her neck/nape is said 36 times), the author/editor don’t follow grammar and punctuation rules, and the ending was rather anti-climactic, but the majority of the story... It was SOOOO much more than I initially expected! I loved the male mc’s super dark past which comes back to terrorize him literally and emotionally!!!
Profile Image for Janneke Wolbers.
444 reviews1 follower
July 22, 2019
Aww man. JM Walker just rips out your heart stomps on it several times then puts it back.
I absolutly loved Lucas and Lily!
Wish there would be more even!
2 reviews
July 2, 2019
This was by far the best book I have read of 2019! I have loved Lucas since he was just a side character, having his life laid out for me was amazing! I laughed, I cried, a said a few bad words... it was perfect! I stayed up all night because I couldn’t put it down!
Profile Image for Tenise.
152 reviews1 follower
July 26, 2019
This book was freaking fantastic! I love a good romantic suspense and JM Walker did not disappoint with this one. Broken Scars touched all of my emotions. I laughed, I cried, I yelled at my kindle like they could actually hear me. Yep! It made me look crazy, but I don't care. That makes it a real winner in my book.
Lily is a sweet woman whose life hasn't always been perfect. She lives with her grandma, works at a retirement home, and spends the majority of her free time alone. And she is fine with that. Well, until she meets Lucas.
Lucas- gah Lucas! He earned a coveted spot on my Top Alphas of All Time list! He had it all; brains, brawn, a heart of gold. He had a very troubled past but he tries his best to not let that define him.
Broken Scars sucked me in from the very first page. It's a fantastic romantic suspense with a super fine alpha and some oh so hot- blush worthy sexy moments. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to move on after finishing this one but I guess I will have to try.
Profile Image for Bookaholic Shaima .
117 reviews71 followers
February 24, 2021
This is so good, God!!!!
This book broke my heart , challenged my patience.... That bonus scene ( still fresh ) had me tearing up like a fu©king baby 😭😭😭😭😭
And please don't let me start on the spice 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️(out of this world ). (My husband sends his appreciation😉😉)
And The amount of quotes that would set the bar toooo d@mn hight about what love should be is sooo goood.

Here are some :

*" I am yours, Lily. And only yours. I’ve never given myself to anyone like I’ve given myself to you. You cracked through my cold heart with a mere look. You brought me to my knees with a laugh. And you made this grumpy fucker smile more in the few short months I’ve known you than in my whole damn life.”

And some more :

*"I don’t know what to do... But I know that right now, I want you.... "
"Have me, baby. Have every inch of me. It’s yours. All of it...Have me, baby. Have every inch of me. It’s yours. All of it.Every last drop, Lily."

A little bit more won't hurt.🤷:

" I love you to the deepest part of me. It’s past my soul. It’s my being. You are inside me. Everywhere. And this love I feel for you goes beyond that."

“I’m in the deepest part of your soul.”
“Can you feel that? That’s me fucking your being.”

SWOON ❤️❤️❤️ ....
Profile Image for Valeen Robertson (Live Thru Books Blog).
4,909 reviews153 followers
July 26, 2019

Lucas is a scarred and broken man just trying to make it through the day when he meets a kindred spirit in Lily when she walks into his tattoo shop, Crane's Ink. So it makes perfect sense that these two are made for each other, meant for each other, in all their brokenness.

"I see a beautiful, broken man who tries so damn hard not to wear his heart on his sleeve. I also see a man who loves with every inch of him and cares deeply."
I think Lily nailed it with this line, and that's why I'll never forget Broken Scars - because Lucas, broken and damaged as he is, managed to be a beautiful man with a soft, loving heart, despite the circumstances he was in. Instead of becoming hardened and evil, he became the opposite - beautiful and loving on the inside even with all his internal (and external) scarring. That he was paired with an equally damaged but beautiful woman was his due. He deserved someone like Lily, someone who saw him for the beautiful soul he was. She thought he saw her, but she saw him too, and I'm glad because he deserved someone who loved him for who he was, not for what he looked like (or didn't look like).
"I saw a man who saw me for me. It was like I could feel you reaching into my soul and tickling every fantasy I've ever had."
J.M. Walker just loves to tear my heart out and trample all over it before she manages to heal it by the time each story of hers is done. But this time? This time I wasn't sure my heart would heal by the time Broken Scars was over, because what Lucas and Lily, especially Lucas, had gone through was just...heartbreaking and horrific and nightmare inducing. Gah, this one made my heart hurt something fierce. But through it all, Lucas and Lily persisted and thankfully, for the sake of my heart, they made it through so that I could actually say my heart was healing when I read the last two bonus epilogues.
"And then you came along and brought this light into the darkness of my life I never knew I needed. I was walking through shadows since I was a boy until you came along."

ARC via author for an honest review.

Full review ---> Live Through Books Blog.

Blog | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Profile Image for Carrie.
3,004 reviews23 followers
July 29, 2019
This was a super tough story for me. I was excited to read it, and had done my due diligence to see if it would be too dark for me because the description definitely warns of dark situations. Unfortunately, I still found it too dark for me.

Things that weren't for me:
- Lots of descriptions of the abuse Lucas suffered as a child. Just too much repetitive detail of the abuse for my liking.
- LOTS of sex; pages & pages of sexy times over & over again. This took away from my enjoyment of the overall story line, altho I recognize that the sexy times in & of themselves are a PART of the overall story line and integral to the characters.
- Repetitive bits of the story. There would be a scene in which something was established, and then a chapter or so later it would be gone over for several pages again.

All of these things caused me to do more skimming of the story than I prefer.

And yet, there were things I loved, and that's what made this a 4 star for me. I won't re-read it, but I would recommend it to someone looking for story of healing, hope, and bringing two broken people together, who doesn't mind (or even loves and is looking for) dark descriptive story lines.

Things I loved:
- Lucas & Lily. Their characters LEAP off the page. They have a bit of a cat & mouse going on at the beginning - both interested, but both not sure about putting their trust in the other. They each have been through horrific childhoods - Lucas definitely had the harder path to travel, tho!! I just wanted to hug both of them & tell them it would be okay, that they are survivors, that they are strong.
- Banter. I love good banter, and these two have it! They give as good as they get, and they get each other quite a bit. They continue that banter during the sexy times, which I noticed even tho I did skim a lot of those, as I mentioned.
- Supporting characters were done well. Lily's grandma plays a good part in supporting Lily, and later Lucas. Lucas's friends (he doesn't have many!) become Lily's friends (she doesn't have many, either) & I enjoyed them.
- The drama (both outside the relationship and within) was paced well & believable. I can't say more because I don't want to spoil anything for anyone!

Overall, this is a story of two broken people who put their pieces back together, together, and I was delighted that they got their HEA. They deserve it!! : )
Profile Image for Ri.
4,964 reviews
September 1, 2019

The blurb of this book intrigued me. What I found inside almost broke me. The things Lucas endured were horrendous. My heart ached for him. I liked That Lily helped him heal. That being said, other parts of the story I struggled with. The story at times drove me nuts. Lily was hard for me to like much of the time with her back and forth. Parts of the Story and characters from the past didn't seem to make sense as to why they even needed to be there.

Lucas and his backstory kept this book afloat for me. Just be prepared that there are a crapton of triggers.
Profile Image for Tami czenkus.
1,535 reviews16 followers
July 8, 2019
If you are looking for a story that is all cuddles and rainbows.... this is NOT the story for you!!
BUT.... If you like RAW, PASSIONATE stories that rip your soul open and leave you emotionally wrecked... Broken Scars is definitely the book for you!!
Lucas and Lily are both broken souls trying to navigate life on their own not realizing that what they needed was right around the corner!!
I was so intrigued with this story that I felt like I was feeling what Lucas and Lily were feeling throughout the entire book!! The horrific childhood Lucas had to endure has left him scarred and broken, and he thought he was beyond repair until the day Lily showed up at his tattoo shop unbeknownst to what she was about to encounter!
Lucas and Lily's love story isn't all flowers and unicorns, they have to battle their own past demons as well as present ones trying to tear them apart!
I thought I knew the plot twist but I was NOT expecting it to play out the way that it had but WOW I was blown away with this heart wrenching story!!!
I think the ending was the perfect ending for Lucas and Lily, to see how far they have come and the love that carried them there....
Profile Image for Tee loves Kyle Jacobson.
2,471 reviews170 followers
July 24, 2019
Where do I begin with this review without ruining it for anyone. This is one of those books that must be read because it is effing amazing! I mean I was reading it and getting pissed every time life got in the way and I had to put it down. I could not get enough of Lucas and Lily. They are meant for each other but it takes some time to get there.

One day Lily walks into a tattoo shop and meets this gorgeous rugged man named Lucas. The two of them have spark right away but they are both guarded. As time goes on the two of them become friends and soon become lovers.

It is strange for them because they never thought they would love because of their past and the scars they carry. But Lucas and Lily are determined to stay together and get through the past to have a great present. So when things start to go left for them they will have to stick together to figure out what is really going on. Can they do it or will their broken scars be to much?
Profile Image for Jennifer Scarn.
384 reviews12 followers
July 2, 2019
Lucas is quite easily one of my most beloved hero’s, he just makes it so easy. He’s tortured and scarred. He has every reason to quit or become a mean menace, but he doesn’t. He had a good heart, a sweet spirit. He’s recovering, he’s succeeding against all odds. The chemistry between he and Lily goes beyond the surface and reaches deep into their souls. She is someone who truly sees him and I admire her fight and deep desire to be what he needs while still standing up for herself. Add in some grandmotherly humor, some angst, some danger, some peanut butter jelly sandwiches, a couple who doesn’t give up on each other and you’ve got one of my favorite books of year! Arguably my favorite from this author, which is saying a lot because she’s got some great ones.
Profile Image for S.M. Harshell.
Author 5 books39 followers
July 26, 2019
**I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.**

Lily and Lucas both have baggage and scars that run deep. Something immediately draws them to each other. Lily sees Lucas for who he is, and she may be the first to see what's underneath the tattoos. She's willing to take the good and the bad, nightmares and all. There relationship is passionate and fast. But there is such a rawness to it. They strip each other bare, no hiding behind the scars.

Broken Scars is an emotional roller coaster for sure. It will rip your heart out and leave you gasping. The ending was freaking perfect for them!

Wicked Reads Review Team
Profile Image for Cynthia Carpenter.
1,373 reviews10 followers
July 6, 2019
There are no words that I can say that will do this book any kinda of justice. Lily and Lucas their story is raw, emotional, beautiful, real and down right amazing. These two have heart aches and heartbreaks thur out their lives and to overcome them is hard and complicated. This book will pull you in and break your heart and soul and with a lota of twists and turns you won't see anything coming. Can't wait to read more from this author.
Profile Image for Kim  Brewing.
3,143 reviews31 followers
August 4, 2019
Their pasts are not pretty but could a future together help heal their broken scars?

I loved both of these characters. They have worked hard to be where they are today. It took me a couple of chapters to really get into the story, but I'm glad I kept reading. There were so many twists and turns and it ended with an absolutely wonderful epilogue.
Profile Image for Judy Robichaud.
258 reviews14 followers
March 28, 2021
ೋღღೋ ═════ ೋღღೋ
My review by Judy Robichaud/
Dare to Love Romance Reviews
Broken Scars by J.M. Walker
ೋღღೋ ═════ ೋღღೋ

WOW JUST WOW! BROKEN SCARS LITERALLY BROUGHT ME TO MY KNEES AND STOLE MY HEART. I MAY NEVER RECOVER! AMAZING 5-STAR READ!

Wow, just wow. Talk about a book hangover… Do you love dark romance? I sure do. It's totally my jam, my favorite genre of romance. If you love it like I do, then step right up and get ready to lose yourself while you take a walk on the very dark side and read this 5-STAR thought provoking romance, Broken Scars by author J.M. Walker. It is not for the faint of heart. It's intense, gritty, raw, violent and at times hard to read. The best stories usually are. There is also compassion, devotion and love.

You will shed more than a few tears for 33 year-old Lucas Crane and 26 year-old Lily Noel. But there is nothing better than a good old fashioned ugly cry, am I right? You will laugh unexpectedly, which you need in a story dealing with this type of subject matter. You will pray for the broken man seeking peace and solace and completely adore the woman bound and determined to pick up the pieces of his broken soul and stitch him back together again. You will root for this couple every step of the way because they are without a doubt, soulmates. They were meant to be and made for each other. It was their destiny I tell ya.

Each living with only half a heart and living half a life.

Each missing the most crucial and vital part of themselves that could heal the deepest of wounds along with the deep seeded pain that have taken up shelter in the very place where the missing piece used to be before the pain existed.

Each needing the other half to make them whole again. You yourself may feel broken from the depravity depicted in this book, and at times you may be left a bit scarred yourself. But trust me, in the end you come out of it stronger for it.

Lucas is a big, tattooed, growly possessive and overprotective teddy bear when it comes to Lily, or as he calls her-Lily Pad. I just loved that. He is such a good man. His alpha tendencies had me laughing out loud more than a few times. He also gives so much to people in need. But he is suffering from severe PTSD from his horrific upbringing. A past so unimaginable there aren't even words for how horrible and depraved it really was. A past that haunts him every single day. At night, the demons get to him in his dreams and turn them into nightmares. There's just no escaping the pain. I will never look at a sewing needle the same way ever again.

You know what they say... What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Those scars they bear are a testament to who they were, what they've been through and who they are today. A badge of courage. Each scar tells a story. A story of their survival, both past and present. Each scar represents the harrowing and haunting pain filled journey that ultimately leads to this couple crossing paths. And in doing so, healing each other might just be possible. It's bittersweet really. It's hard to imagine that they most likely would never have met if those scars didn't exist. Because those scars are what brought them to where they are today. Without those scars, their pasts, they wouldn’t have met. I think it was fate.

They both are afflicted with addiction. All kinds. Drugs and alcohol are their dangerous addictions and they are handling it responsibly. Then there's the coffee, pb & j sandwiches with a glass of milk and of course, each other. They can't get enough of one another. It's as though they have each other flowing in their veins and they are just waiting for their next fix.

As I wrote this review, I was thrust back in time remembering how devastating, how soul crushing the truth of what happened to Lucas as a boy was. I was completely enthralled. Lucas and Lily's story owned me.

For me, Lucas's and Lily's tale is one of incredible bravery, strength beyond measure and an abundance of will and endurance. It's about facing your fears and slaying those demons that are determined to break you down each and every day, and sending those demons straight to the pits of hell where they belong.

It's about survival and unconditional love and taking your life back. Lucas and Lily, two people who are the salve to each other's pain. Each taking bits of what's left of their heart as well as trust, and giving it to each other freely. Freedom to heal from the pain and the torture. Freedom to live and above all else freedom to love. When they do that, that's when the magic happens. The magic of love, the tranquility of peace and the happily ever after this couple so richly deserved.

Lily and Lucas have a need for each other that's so powerful. More powerful than even their substance addiction. They crave each other with their insatiable lust. They have this instant connection. They are addicted to each other that goes beyond explanation. Words are not needed. They worship each other. Each one is the other’s much needed talisman. It works for them.

All of the unending fear, the debilitating pain and a lifetime of loneliness and guilt resurfaces and rear their ugly heads. It never stopped. I kid you not, my heart was thumping so loudly in my chest that I think you could have heard it from miles away.

The onslaught of his horrific memories constantly poking at Lucas time and time again, and reliving the past through these debilitating nightmares was crippling for him. But the ever strong, ever supportive Lily, who was fighting her own demons was there to support and comfort him.

As a mother myself, to know that I couldn't jump into this book and help Lucas brought tears to my eyes. Discovering all that Lucas endured ripped my heart out, smashed it to smithereens and left me bleeding out, leaving scars in my wake. It was difficult wrapping my head around his thought process and the effects of the abuse took on him. The excruciating and unconscionable truth left me gasping for breath, feeling empty, broken and helpless. It brought me to my knees and had me clutching my heart so tight. I lost count of how many times I thought to myself if only. If only I had the power to lighten the load that was suffocating Lucas. I would have gladly taken those burdens that he carried on his shoulders every day of his life and stuff them into my chest so I could ease that pain for him. To give him peace of mind. If only for a little while. If only...

Oh boy!!! Let me tell you their sexy time was explosive. A mix of lust, love and TNT on crack. It was "OH MY GAWD" scorching hot with a heaping side of dirty talk. Talk about blazing! I'm surprised that my Kindle didn't set my house on fire with the amount of heat that was emanating from it. Their connection, their chemistry was so strong, so magnetic. They complimented each other perfectly and were so good together.

Fate brought them together. Will the monsters, memories and madness break them apart? Or will love conquer all? Can it? Is it even possible? Hmmm… You just gotta have faith. Fate brought them together.

New life and lost loves bring this romance to its touching and highly emotional conclusion. Although I shed tears during the course of reading this book, the tears I shed at the ending to this romance were tears of joy.

I loved the suspense element in this story. It was brilliantly written and kept me interested and wanting more. So much excitement both good and bad. So many twists and turns. So much mystery. So much treachery. So much hatred. So many guesses, So many heart stopping moments. So many evil-doers that it boggles my mind.

The manipulation of Lucas was sick and twisted. Both in the past and the present. It appears the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree for sure. That’s all I’m saying….

My favorite lines in the book:
My demons are loud. Especially when I’m sleeping or trying to fall asleep. It’s like my brain only becomes louder in the silence of the night.

My favorite supporting character:
Hands down Grandma Ethel. Her cursing like a sailor, her honesty and her loving heart won me over. She should be everyone’s grandmother.

My favorite Villain:
I’m not saying….. Sorry not sorry!

If you’re looking for your next book hangover and want something that’s more, so much more than your average cookie cutter romance, grab Broken Scars and prepare to be blown away!
July 5, 2019
Check out this review and others at
www.Twinsietalk.com
www.Facebook.com/Twinsietalk
www.Twitter.com/Twinsietalk
www.Tsu.co/Twinsietalk
www.instagram.com/twinsietalk
Newsletter : http://eepurl.com/brwkPv

I received this book from the author for an honest review.

Well, well, well Lucas. It took you HOW MANY YEARS to finally tell your story to JM and man….was it a good one!!

JM asked me what my description of Lucas is. I said he is her most Alpha guy yet….but then thinking on it, he is also the sweetest guy yet. How is that you ask??? Just meet him and you will understand.

Lucas, sweet baby Jesus your life. I can’t even understand how you LIVED through everything you lived through and yet you did. You are the definition of survivor.

Lily…guuuurl I don’t know if I have a girl crush on you or if I want to be your best friend??? I mean you are so damn sassy and feisty, and you push Lucas to open up. You accept that broken man and all the baggage he has. Sometimes you needed to take a quick breath, understandably so BUT you don’t quit on him. You give him the unconditional love he has been craving his entire life.

These two, I have been DYING to read their story. We know they are together because we have met them in many of JM’s books. I just wanted to know how “Love Conquered All” for you two.
This story is complex, deep, and full of emotion. Be ready to have a bruised heart and make sure your arms are in good condition because all the hugs you will be giving these two.

There are so many amazing twists and turns as we always expect with JM but this book, I think had so much heart and soul baring between the main characters. They both are damaged souls who find THEIR person due to a quick jump out of the rain!!

Profile Image for Jolene Huber.
864 reviews10 followers
September 17, 2019
Two Wrongs Can Make It Right.

This book is about different kinds of abuse and addiction. It may contain triggers in some. I absolutely loved the story. It has all the elements. It is emotional, action packed and keeps you guessing what could possibly happen next. Lucas is a tattoo artist who specializes in covering scars. Considering he is covered in both scars and tattoos he knows what he is doing. He is a beautiful tortured soul. Lily is struggling to find her way. After finding out the man she was seeing was married she heads in the wrong direction with the right destination.
Profile Image for Ann.
1,332 reviews24 followers
July 14, 2019
For me this book rated 3.5 stars. While the flow was good, I found quite a bit of repetitive words and lines throughout , which was annoying. I appreciated the characters of Lucas and Lily. Their development was integral for the storyline. This book dealt with very troubling topics which were realistically addressed. My favourite charcter was Ethel, Lily's grandma. She was straight- talking, swearing and smart cookie.
Profile Image for Patti.
805 reviews3 followers
August 9, 2021
Poor Lucas and the abuse he when through. 😢
~ His nightmares/memories were heartbreaking
But...
I don't know I guess this was a miss for me.
~ There is a lot of repetition, mostly on Lily's side.
~ I had a hard time with Lily's character too.
~ The sex scenes start off all hot and heavy, but they just fell flat for me in the end. All the right words were there but I didn't feel the connection.
DNF @ 45%
Profile Image for Wendy.
47 reviews14 followers
April 2, 2020
You remember when you were in high school and you would write whatever fan fiction you wanted and in that fan fiction one bad thing after another just kept happening before it got to be just too much? And then you got embarrassed by it cause it was so bad that no one should be allowed to read it? Yeah, that was this book.
Profile Image for Bette.
2,176 reviews5 followers
October 3, 2021
A Brilliantly Compelling & Intense Story & Audible Listen🎧📚🎧

Broken Scars
By: J.M. Walker
Narrated by: Bridget Bordeaux, Scott Rose

This book completely wowed me, the story drew me in right from the start, grabbing my attention and captivating it for the entire book, it also tugged on my heartstrings like no other and there were several gut-wrenching moments that definitely broke off a piece of my heart. This is my first book written by J.M Walker, she has an impressive writing style, her descriptive details bring you in along side her characters, allowing you inside their heads so you can experience everything they are, seeing what they are seeing, thinking and feeling. Her storylines are interesting and original, the characters are realistic, easy to relate to and connect with, as well as easy to care about and feel for. Lily Noel walks away from her now ex-boyfriend and ducks into a tattoo shop to wait out a storm. She and the owner, Lucas Crane, start chatting and they really get each other and she continues to visit him until they are ready to make the next move. Neither of them have had the easiest of lives, each have their own baggage, issues and yes scars, some are on the outside, others are on the inside. They grow close quickly and feel comfortable sharing some but not all, they are hesitant because they are still building trust between them. We learn more from Lucas’ nightmares and flashbacks and it was horrific what he and others endured. Lily backstory is not pretty either, thankfully her grandmother’s tough love helped get her back on track. This is a heartbreakingly beautiful dark romance, the story is brilliantly plotted with plenty of drama, angst, twists and turns some of which are intensely dark and twisted, thrilling and suspenseful moments, heartfelt and emotional moments and hot romance. Lily and Lucas are survivors in their own way, and it is great to see them grow as they battle and get past their inner demons and come out ahead. J.M. Walker, thank you for this exceptional and extremely moving story and emotional rollercoaster ride.

🎧📚🎧 And for the amazing narration, Bridget Bordeaux and Scott Rose are the perfect cast to bring these characters and their story to life. They had a complete understanding of the characters they portrayed, giving each a voice that suits their character’s persona to a tee, sounding believable in every role they play and just as I pictured the character to sound. They set the perfect tone for the story, captured all the character’s emotions and projected them into their performance. These talented narrators are entertaining storytellers and a pleasure to listen to. Thank you for this awesome listen!

Thank you Spectrum Audiobooks!
Profile Image for Gayle.
242 reviews8 followers
July 10, 2019
Sometimes in life we are faced with the darkest of events. Tormenting events that are life altering. Situations that completely tear you down, crush your soul, shatter your heart and leave a dark and dangerous void that can never be filled.
As an adult it’s hard to digest the hurt, pain and fear of situations like these….

But what if you were a child?

What if as a child you were thrown into a system where the system failed you?
What if as a child you are surrounded by monsters, ready to unleash their fury on you at any time?
What if as a child you were subjected to cruelty that no-one should ever be subjected too?
What if as an adult your childhood was so tormenting that now you have closed yourself off to anyone?
What if as an adult you now are faced with the nightmares of the past?
What if as an adult you are broken because your past simply broke you?

This is what Lucas is faced with every single day, and guys it will destroy you, just like it did me.

I have just been emotionally broken people, like gut-wrenching tear your heart out broken, and I loved every single minute of it.

Lucas and Lily’s story will stay with me always. Yes it was dark, depraved and extremely disturbing, but it was also full of light and hope. Hope that trust and happiness could be found. Hope that somewhere deep within yourself trust can be found. Hope that you could seek comfort in another.
It was the perfect blend of dark versus light, torment versus happiness, heartbreak versus comfort.

I honestly adored Broken Scars and it’s a definite MUST READ.

J.M Walker has given us all as readers a beautifully written, heartbreaking, disturbing and breathtaking read that I for one will never forget.

Perfect in every way.

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 191 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.