Start by marking “Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero

Kelly J. Baptist

Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero

Phoebe Yeh at Crown has bought Kelly J. Baptist's Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero. Inspired by the award-winning story in Flying Lessons & Other Stories, the middle grade novel follows Isaiah's misadventures as the new man of the family. Publication is slated for summer 2020; Gabrielle Barnes at Diction Media Group handled the deal for world rights.
Published 2020 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero

Start your review of Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

“Isaiah Dunn Is My Hero” was a children to middle grade standout and I was surprised it touch based on sensitive subjects such as death, grievance, alcoholism, bullying, and homelessness which is all told in a 10-11 year old boy’s perspective. It touched home and most readers can easily relate to Isaiah’s story. Needless to say, I was impressed with the author's ability to tell the story in a child's eyes and what his thought process was when it seemed like everything in his life was
Isaiah wants to write like his father, who kept notebooks of his stories, but never had them published. He wants to, but has been unable to since his father died, and his mother has spiraled down into drinking.

This is a great story, inspired by the author, a teacher, seeing children who might go to her school, who are homeless.

Through this all, Isaiah, if he can't write, he makes sure that his dad's stories are out there. He also reads the stories every day.

I read this story so fast, because it
Michele
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
While not everyone will be able to relate to Isaiah’s dire circumstances, the bullying and judgement are universal experiences to most. His dad’s stories are awesome and so is Isaiah’s love of reading and writing.
DosLitWorms
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isaiah Dunn is My Hero by Kelly J. Baptist is a book about 9 year old Isaiah and his family as they grieve his deceased father and experience homelessness in its many varied forms. Isaiah is a boy that instantly reminded me of my students in the elementary school I work in. Baptist was able to capture the emotions and reactions that most children would experience going through a similar hardship and created several amazing adults that step in to offer help and support. Through the use of amazing ...more
Kannan
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-ebook
What a great middle grade debut novel from Kelly J. Baptist. This book covers some major topics such as friendships, bullying, alcoholism, homelessness, overcoming adversity, and poverty all told through the lens of the 10 year old protagonist.

Isaiah is likable character and the reader cannot help but admire his tough character. You cannot help but to root for him to triumph over his hardships and accomplish all he wants to. A quick read that doesn't leave the reader quickly. Highly Recommend!

Marissa
"eArc received from Random House Children's by Netgalley"
Julie
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Isaiah Dunn is a super hero!!!

Tough kid, tough life who holds on to the memory of his Dad to get him through some rough times! Worth the read!

I received this as an ARC for an honest opinion.
MayorEmma
earc from netgalley.

this book is interesting, i just did not get very engaged in it, but it seems good.
Lauren
What a great debut middle grades novel. It takes some very difficult issues that kids have to deal with in real life. The emotional depth of Isaiah's character is compelling . Etihad liked to learn more about Angel however.

*In exchange for an honest review, I received an early release e-copy courtesy of Random House Children's and NetGalley.com.
Soup
Dec 22, 2019

• Nothing to See Here
  • Book Love
  • The Very Last Leaf
  • Fledgling (Sorcery and Society, #2)
  • Camping with Unicorns (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #11)
  • Changeling (Sorcery and Society, #1)
  • Kenzie Kickstarts a Team (The Derby Daredevils #1)
  • Eavesdropping on Elephants
  • I Was Their American Dream: A Graphic Memoir
  • Sea Otter Heroes
  • The Water Bears
  • Pickle: The (Formerly) Anonymous Prank Club of Fountain Point Middle School
  • Mulan: Before the Sword
  • Internment
  • Blood Tango
  • Depraved Heart (Scarpetta, #23)
  • The Undertaking of Lily Chen