Start by marking “Star Wars Vol. 9: Hope Dies (Star Wars (2015-))” as Want to Read:
Star Wars Vol. 9: Hope Dies (Star Wars (2015-))

Star Wars Vol. 9: Hope Dies (Star Wars

(Star Wars (2015) #9)

Collects Star Wars (2015) #50-55 and Star Wars Annual (2015) #4.

A New Hope led here! A secret rebel base. A secret rebel fleet. A chance of victory…but now, Darth Vader has found it. There is no escape. The Empire first strikes back here and now! Can the Millennium Falcon stand alone against the entire Imperial Fleet? Not to mention a TIE Advanced Starfighter with a certai
Published December 12th 2018 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars Vol. 9

Neil R. Coulter
Finally, after so much mediocrity, Marvel's main Star Wars series is getting better. This volume, Hope Dies, is the first book in the series that feels like Star Wars. There are a couple of reasons for this.

First, the main characters are themselves, and the females are truly strong. Too often this series has only allowed Leia and other female characters to be strong because all the males around them are buffoons. In this story, though, Leia, Han, and Luke are mostly separated, and each one gets
Ben Brown
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this is more like it. Tight plotting, humor that’s acutually funny, and – FINALLY – art by Salvador Larroca that isn’t offputtingly photorealistic… all of these add up to make “Hope Burns”the best arc of Marvel’s “Star Wars” series since “Rebel Jail.” If this is what we can expect more of from Gillen and Larroca going forward, then I’m one happy camper.
Benji Glaab
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5🌟

I dare say this is the best volume yet in this series. It took Gillen to volumes to set up this battle of full scale epic clash. It's the kind of read that is so easily devoured in one sitting. The tension was there the action was great. All the fast thinking on our band of rebels was logical which goes to show Gillen can write one of a show stopper SW book.

Everyone likes to harp on Larocca's art, but I have to say his ships and battle scenes were amazing, and so much detail was poured into
Anthony
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This was good! This felt like it could have been a movie. The stakes seemed high, the character portrayals were good and the art seemed to bother me less in this arc. Gillen writes good Star Wars comics!
Chris Lemmerman
Betrayal at the heart of the Rebel Alliance puts their entire fleet at risk, as Darth Vader and the Empire close in around them. With the Falcon out of commission and no way to communicate between ships, can a last ditch gambit by Princess Leia pull their fat out of the fire, or has the Empire struck back earlier than expected?

Oh, that's more like it. Gillen's Star Wars has been building steam since it started and this arc is absolutely brilliant. All six issues, including the extra-sized issue
Robert
Like most of the other volumes in the series, the stories themselves are entertaining, and a nice balance of fan-service and new material, but every time that our heroes are thrown into conflict with with Darth Vader, it undermines the memory of his appearances in the films, either through repetitious numbing or the use of abilities never presented on screen that would or should have altered their trajectory.
Roy
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Something about this latest Star wars run annoys me. At times its amazing, the artwork is always good, however the story is like a wave but it never seems to stop being a wave. So many ups and downs. I hope this comes to an end soon and they reboot it because I'm not sure where they will end it.
Alex Sarll
Gillen's first arc was the dark, literally post-Rogue One side of Star Wars, and his second was the caper. Now, the widescreen epic, as the might of the Empire is unleashed against the Rebellion's nascent fleet. You might think this was the natural direction for Star Wars comics to take, given there are no budget limitations on the page - but you do have a budget limitation *of* pages, and space battles take up a lot of space. Still, Gillen's been at this long enough to make it work, fitting per ...more
Drew
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelves
I don’t know how I ended up following this comic through 9 trades, but here we are. The art isn’t great, belying a lack of passion all around, and most of the time, the storytelling is pretty bland.

But this 9th installment did better on the story side. A great story of betrayal and Rebel gumption, with everything from space battles to sneak missions and lightsabers.

In fact, the set up to this story arc reads almost like a competent and plot hole-free version of The Last Jedi. How do you trap a
sassafrass
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, comics
As always I seem to ring in the new year with a burst of star wars. God, I love em all SO MUCH.
Kari Trenten
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Rebel Alliance has never been more powerful before, thanks to a formidable secret ally who has begun to aid them. Alas, this ally is leading the Rebellion into a trap about to be sprung by Darth Vader, a trap meant to eliminate the Alliance once and for all.

Epic is the only word to describe this particular story. Trios shows another layer to her personality and I hope it’s not the last. Vader again shows how ruthless, yet efficient he can be, plus the fact that he’s capable of learning from
Adam Fisher
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While celebrating the addition of the Mon Cala fleet and various other worlds that have joined the Alliance, Leia takes time to speak with Queen Trios of the Shu-Torun about her contribution to the effort. Little does Leia know, Trios is working directly with Vader, and as she sneaks out of the party, the trap is sprung!
Sprung fully, the Rebel Fleet is surrounded by Star Destroyers, and their systems compromised, shutting down coms and locking down the fighter bay doors, making it a battle of ca
Paul Decker
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The volume before this one really disappointed me. I considered not continuing this series and honestly I'm still considering that. But, I just read volumes 9 and 10 and I enjoyed them more than Volume 8.

This volume feels like the third act in almost any Star Wars movie. It's a big ole space battle. The Rebellion has gathered its forces to showcase them before dispersing until the time is right, but things don't go as planned. Shu-Toren and its leader Trios have become a large part of this ongoi
Kyle Dinges
I'm not exactly sure how to feel about this main Star Wars series anymore. They really seem to have milked this period between A New Hope and Empire for all it's worth and there's diminishing returns with each arc. This ninth volume is definitely better than the Mon Cala affair from Volume 8, but it's still a variation of the same story that gets told over and over and over again in this series. "The rebels have found a new leg up on the Empire! Oh wait, treachery! Darth Vader is here, everyone ...more
David
Now that is more like it.

Collecting Star Wars Comics #50-55 (and, for some reason, a seemingly tacked-on story from Star Wars Annual #4), this finally feels like the Star Wars we all know and love.

I think a large part of that is because this, effectively, in the graphic novel equivalent of the denouement of all the stories leading up to this: the whole thing, really, is one giant battle in space (think Return of the Jedi) after the Rebels secret location is betrayed while they are all gathered i
Jordan Anderson
Bringing Gillen into the fold of the titular Star Wars comics has probably been the best thing Marvel (Disney) has done in years. Starting with the last arc of the Mon Cala war, this series is fun again, harkening back to the first couple of issues from a few years ago.

The action is better. The plot is streamlined and simple, but makes for an enjoyable and quick paced read. The art is probably the best it’s been, and the Easter eggs to Rogue One and eventual events in The Empire Strikes Back are
Dennis
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gillen continues to impress. A lot of overt call backs to Rogue One in this volume, which was really cool. The explanation behind the call sign for Rogue Squadron? Perfect. I pumped my fist in the air when I read it. Straight up John Bender salute!Some might decry such inclusions as too much fan service, but screw 'em. There's nothing wrong with making the reader happy.

Larroca's art continues to be an amalgam of original pencils and flat-out tracing of movie stills. It's weird. Not bad, just dis
Dakota Morgan
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hope Dies is clearly the Empire Strikes Back of this Star Wars series. Things go wrong for the rebels almost immediately after their largest victory (claiming Mon Cala's fleet for the rebellion). "Hope dies" is a fairly apt title - Darth Vader even states this at some point in the book. We've got almost 100% battle scenes here, which is a tricky thing to pull off. How do you maintain suspense and momentum through six issues of starfighters dueling? Kieron Gillen does a good job of sprinkling in ...more
C
I haven't been head over heels for most of Marvel's Star Wars books. Many of them feel a little too similar to superhero books for my Star Wars tastes and they just don't feel like they quite fit into the same universe.

This one though really gets it. It feels more epic, more sweeping, less one-hero-comes-in-and-saves-everything.

The story with Sana feels a bit more like a goofball comic (which is a bummer because I like her character and hey - podracing!) which brings the rating down a star. In
Rocky Sunico
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
With such a dramatic title, you know this volume of the ongoing Star Wars series is going to be a doozy. And given the setup at the end of the last arc, it was clear the Rebels had some major treachery to look forward to given all the players on the board. The resulting confrontation with Imperial forces was not the slaughter it could have been given Vader being all weird and dramatic and wanting to heighten the fear that the Rebels were to experience before finally bringing the hammer down. And ...more
Geoffrey Payne
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series finally delivers in volume 9! I’ve enjoyed this series overall but this volume gave me what I’ve been wanting from it for 50 issues. The story had weight and good pacing and even the artwork (which I haven’t been a fan of in the past) wasn’t distracting. Hopefully it keeps this up in future volumes! 4.75 out of 5!
Brandon
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm gonna go out and say it. Kieron Gillen is a much better fit for this title than Jason Aaron ever was. Nothing against Aaron, but I feel like Gillen just has a knack for this kind of storytelling and STAR WARS in general. He did a great job with DARTH VADER, and now with the main title, he continues to do an amazing job.
Jeff
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very rarely, something reminds me why I like Star Wars beyond the cool spaceships. This is one of those things.

Damn, this is a good run. I didn’t particularly love the annual, but I consider that an extra on top of a perfect Star Wars story.
Ramon
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basically the entire arc of six issues is one long, tense action sequence, which you need every once in a while, a really focused period of danger and panic. With the special image of Han Solo piloting an X-wing, and Leia piloting a TIE fighter.
L.   (You like my book? Gee, thanks. Just bought it.)
I've said it before and looks like I'm going to say it again: I don't see why the SW film makers don't tap into these comics for source material. These writers know what they're doing. They constantly deliver an exciting yarn while staying true to the characters.
Scott
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoyed the chase portion of The Last Jedi, you'll dig this story as well. Pretty intense stuff.
Nick Nguyen

Most enjoyable arc in this series so far.
Dennis Brock
So good, & so much better than the previous volume!! The art was definitely improved as they stepped away from the photorealistic faces! A good direction for SW comics!
Simon
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The self contained story was a lot of fun.
John H
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was above average for the current Star Wars run. I think it's because it heavily features the core characters including Darth Vader.

• Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Vol. 5: The Spark and the Fire
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Star Wars, Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Star Wars: Kanan, Vol. 2: First Blood
  • Rescues (Star Wars: Invasion, #2)
  • Star Wars: Darth Maul
  • Star Wars, Volume 1: In the Shadow of Yavin
  • Star Wars: Han Solo
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

Star Wars (2015) (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes