Start by marking “Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family” as Want to Read:
Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family

Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family

An inspirational story of accepting and embracing two trans people in a family--a family who shows what's possible when you "lead with love."

All Amanda Jetté Knox ever wanted was to enjoy a stable life. She never knew her biological father, and while her mother and stepfather were loving parents, the situation was sometimes chaotic. At school, she was bullied mercilessly,
Published August 13th 2019 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Love Lives Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Lives Here

Start your review of Love Lives Here: A Story of Thriving in a Transgender Family
Allison
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This kept me up until four in the morning even though I know how it ends - if that's not the hallmark of a great book, I don't know what is. If you know Amanda, it can be easy to forget that she has, not to put too fine a point on it, Gone Through Some Shit, even before her daughter and her wife came out as trans. This is an unflinchingly honest, unapologetic, hilarious, heartwrenching, clear-eyed account of a bunch of that shit. I guess coming through the fires of horrific bullying, adolescent ...more
Candie
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very open and honest portrayal of Amanda's experience of living in a family with a transgender daughter and wife. It also talks quite a bit about the mental health issues she has dealt with throughout her life. Her courage to share her family's experience with opening up and transitioning was very eye opening and has provided me with so much more knowledge and understanding. I previously had no experience with any transgender people directly in my life, that I know of, and it was ...more
Alison
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. There is so much love in this family. We can all take a lesson from the pages within. Thank you Knox family for living your lives openly and doing the emotional work. You certainly personify “Lead with Love”.
Jessica Woodbury
Sometimes I will say with a little negativity that a book is "Trans 101" but the honest truth is that we need Trans 101 sometimes. There are still a lot of people in the world who have never met an out trans person, who have uninformed and bigoted ideas about them. And for those people, we need some accessible, relatable Trans 101 stories. It isn't even bad if some of them are by cis people, because presenting that cis lens and showing by example when to speak up and when it's not about you can ...more
Lara Lillibridge
Times I full on cried: 8
Times I laughed out loud: too many to count

Amanda Jette Knox's memoir about having a trans child and a trans spouse alternates between first person POV Amanda’s story and 3rd POV for her wife’s story. Written with barefaced honesty—Knox never tries to make herself look good, and it is the recounting her own missteps that make this book so meaningful. We all screw up, we all fail our loved ones in big and small ways no matter how hard we try, but if we keep trying, we will
Ann Douglas
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, read-in-2019
I was lucky enough to receive an advance reading copy of this book, which is scheduled for release in August. Here’s a copy of the endorsement I provided to the book’s publisher, Viking Canada: “Love Lives Here is a fiercely courageous story about the power of unconditional love. It’s an unflinchingly honest memoir that is one part thriller and one part love story — a book that demands to be read from cover to cover and to be shared with the people you love.”

Yes, I loved the book that much.
Steve Anderson
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's almost a cliché to say that a book changed your life, but this book did. As a 57 year old man born and raised in the buckle of the Bible Belt in the 1960s and 1970s, I had very definite thoughts growing up about the LGBTQ+ community... it didn't exist. Years later, it was just confusing and inexplicable.

This book about a real family living real lives made me realize that people are the same inside, regardless of the outer packaging. Amanda Jette Knox has taken a very difficult and sensitive
Jennifer M.
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be perfectly honest with you, I had no idea what Love Lives Here was going to be about. I picked it solely on the title. Then I started it. And wow, my heart fills so full after reading.

LLH is about a family. It's a family who goes through challenges that most people do not. If you are not someone who loves or accepts transgender people, then this book probably isn't for you. Or maybe it is. Maybe you want to learn more of the daily struggles or just find that you want to be more accepting.

Brandon Forsyth
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An incredible story, told with remarkable honesty and staggering vulnerability. A great resource or introduction to transgender issues for those like me who are new to the topic. A spirit of unconditional love suffuses these pages, and it’s the kind of narrative we need more of in these divisive times.
Christopher Neufeld
This is one of the most important and powerful books I've read in a long time. I was sucked in from the first page and couldn't put it down. She inspires, provides tools, and tells stories that will leave you crying tears of joy and pain. I highly recommend it and will be passing along my copy and purchasing copies for others. It's a message so many people need to hear, and Amanda tells it so well.
Danielle
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This is such a raw and heartfelt book about a family who just happens to include two trans members. It took a lot of courage to take her family’s story out in the open. Amanda’s story comes from such love. After dealing with so much bullying, heartbreak and grief, they have landed in the life they are meant to live, authentically and non-apologetically.
It is 2019 and this is a necessary read.
Congrats Amanda and your family for this love letter. It will help so many people who are afraid to live
Jenn
I was so happy that Chapters sent my pre-order a little early! I read it in one sitting. It made me cry at times but by the end they were happy tears. It's a wonderful story of how love endures and what defines family. It was exactly the uplifting read I needed.
Chloe Halpenny
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just read this. A wholesome, feel-good story with lessons for all of us on what is means to be inclusive, accepting, and more than anything, loving. I'm so proud to say I'm from the same city as this author, and will be recommending it to all my friends and family!
Kade Gulluscio
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Thanks NetGalley!

Love Lives Here is a memoir of a family with two transgender members. Jette's middle child came out as transgender at the age of 11. She transitioned from Jette's son to daughter. A little while later, Jette's spouse also came out as transgender! The family has become a role model for many!

This memoir was beautiful.
Kayo
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest look at what it means to be a family. Learned alot. Great book.

Thanks to author,publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Brett
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both a memoir and and advocacy book. Knox has a survivors story: blue collar, addiction recovery, depression, anxiety. But her story of circling her family and social circle around her trans daughter and nine moths later around her trans wife (and the mental and emotional toll that it took on her) is extraordinary.

Amanda and Zoe are a particular stripe of middle class Canadian that I closely identify with. They’re my people, and there’s a high level of education and privilege that enables the
Leah
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was excellent. Enlightening and educational, this local Canadian memoir is a very unique story and the author is clearly gifted with her writing abilities.
Caroline
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful love story. Easy to read and inspiring. Another reminder how important it is to be kind and to refrain from judgement as we often have no idea what others are experiencing or struggling with.
Katherine Sparkle
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, memoir
Such a heartfelt, loving book. Amanda isn't out to make herself look "good" in telling the story of her family members' transitions but she does a bang up job of showing just how much better they're all off for it, how much happier, & how meaningful supportive transition is. Pretty sure reading this makes Amanda my mom now & I'm totally here for it.
Angela Jones
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven’t read this book yet, you’re not living your best life! Such an amazing story of beauty, resilience and strength in the face of adversity. Love really does live here.
ette
Beautiful book about a family with LGBTQ members and how they came to know themselves and support one another. The author is an advocate I’ve been following on Twitter.
Rita Flynn
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been a long time since I have read a book in one sitting, as I did with this one. I am follower of Amanda on Twitter and Facebook, and there is a trans woman in my family, so reading this was a natural choice. I knew I would learn a lot about trans issues, facts, and the experience, but I was not prepared for the rest of the story. Amanda’s own story is a harrowing account of growing up while not fitting in, being bullied and assaulted, going through addiction and recovery, and coming out ...more
Tracy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written and powerful account of a family who put love first and is, to quote Amanda, a battering ram against prejudices and stigmas associated with the LGBTQ community. Everyone should read this book. Our words, actions, and thoughts matter. Thank you for sharing your family and story with us, Amanda.
Kristin Cruz
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love is about hearts, not parts...

Ms. Jetté Knox is a talented writer who seems to live just like she writes. She’s honest, funny, loving, and not afraid to stand up for what’s right. Her story, her family’s story, is a lesson in seeing beauty and finding joy in what is rather than mourning the loss of what you think you had. I think this book and their story is something EVERYONE needs to be exposed to. Their willingness to be open about their journey has been and will be life changing for so
Jill Fofana
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love Wins !

I have been waiting for this book ever since Amanda shared the news of it on her Facebook page. I had a hard time getting anything done until I read the entire book. So honest, heartbreaking at times, always real. Thank you for sharing your life with us, Amanda and Zoe!
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book. Five stars aren’t enough!

I have followed Amanda on Twitter for several years and love her writing. This book is so beautifully written and doesn’t shy away from the hard parts. It made me laugh, cry and cheer. A cover to cover read the same day I picked it up from the store. Truly wonderful, I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Aubyn
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read, enchanting, powerful, real! It made me cry, it made me LOL, it made me think, reflect, feel all the feels. Thank you Amanda!
Ya-Ya Page
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This entire book is a love letter to her family and the resilience they all have when faced with the unknown. If you want to feel uplifted by what can happen when family truly care about each other, read this book.
ND
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this memoir. It is an important subject, and her story is very very unique, and yet I found her annoying, narcissistic, lacking in certain boundaries that would protect her family, and almost condescending at times to other members of the queer community, who has not had her exact experiences but of course have had many experiences of homophobia, mis-gendering, transphobia, and the like. I think she is a bit ignorant about the hetero privilege she has traded in, so to ...more
Alexis
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Really enjoyed this book. I actually read it in one day. It's the story of a woman who had a tough childhood. She gets married and has three children, but things are not right. Then her middle child reveals that she is a transgender girl, and the family adjusts to this shift. A year or so later, her spouse also comes out as a transgender woman, and the whole family must adjust again.

This book was very heartfelt, straight forward, with lots of answers to questions in it. Jette Knox was honest and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• A Mind Spread Out on the Ground
  • Me, Myself, They: Life Beyond the Binary
  • Every Little Piece of Me
  • Mistakes to Run With
  • Had It Coming: What's Fair in the Age of #metoo?
  • Girls Need Not Apply: Field Notes from the Forces