Start by marking “Bury the Lede” as Want to Read:
Bury the Lede

Bury the Lede

Twenty-one-year-old Madison T. Jackson is already the star of the Emerson College student newspaper when she nabs a coveted night internship at Bostons premiere newspaper, The Boston Lede. The jobs simple: do whatever the senior reporters tell you to do, from fetching coffee to getting a quote from a grieving parent. Its grueling work, so when the murder of a prominent ...more
Published October 8th 2019 by Boom! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Bury the Lede, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bury the Lede

Start your review of Bury the Lede
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer
Ehhhhh, I was not the hugest fan of this one. The art style was great, but I found the plot to be extremely disjointed and hard to follow. Also there was a scene in which the main character (a journalist) roofies someone to get information and then never faces any consequences and I just??????????? This was unfortunately just not for me.
Michael Finocchiaro
This story was a bit convoluted, but interesting nonetheless. Sort of your normal detective story via a journalist intern. Expect lots of plot twists.
Chad
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, netgalley-2019
A cub reporter trying to get her first byline stumbles into it when a murderer confesses to her and then leads her into a completely unrelated mystery. The storytelling while clear in the end is full of logic leaps and gaps. It was really hard to keep it straight midstory. I also didn't understand why said cub reporter kept backstabbing all her sources. Wouldn't a reporter need to keep those relationships with her sources on good terms so she can continue to remain a reporter? The story was ...more
Rod Brown
This twisty noir is a cross of the movies Spotlight and Basic Instinct as a woman in jail for murder manipulates a newspaper intern into pursuing a bigger story about sexual assault and political corruption. Great LGBTQ+ characters and their interactions carry the book through its underwhelming big plot reveals. I'd certainly like to see a sequel.
Mel (Epic Reading)
Bury the Lede is proof that good representation, decent plot, and sexiness are not enough to make a story interesting. Unfortunately I was very bored during this investigative story. Yeah there are dead people; but I don't know them and so I don't care. I could barely bring myself to care about our leading gal; especially after she started betraying many people around her.
The theory here is that there is nothing a young reporter won't do for a story. And so our leading gal ventures into jail to
Dave
Move over Clark Kent. Dunn's Bury the Lede is a dark brooding crime-filled graphic novel featuring a young cub reporter trying to get her first headline and a bloody family-killing psychopath who confesses to the cub reporter. Terrific artwork. Good storyline. Inordinate number of lesbian/bi characters. But, the main focus is on the crime story and the widow, who like Lady MacBeth, emerges from the crime scene covered in blood.
Erika Sarutobi
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

The art is amazing but the story was a bit messy in the pacing that it was a bit hard to follow. Nevertheless, it was still interesting and I liked that it had a detective vibe despite the main character being a reporter.

I found Dahlia to be really intriguing especially with the way she would throw hints Madison and her whole motive. It would have been more interesting if the main character was a bit smarter and less selfish with the cop who's always tipping her but somewhat gets
Nen & Jen
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was as intensely gripping, mysterious and as gorgeously visual as I had hoped it would be. Bury the Lede had great rep for POC and LGBTQ+ characters and the inclusion of political machinations made this feel authentic and steeped in reality. While this story was quite a lot darker and deeper than I had anticipated, for the most part this was an interesting and unusual read.

Blurb:
Reporter for the Boston Lede, Madison Jackson is young, scrappy, and hungry to prove that she deserves her
Jay G
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

I received a copy of this graphic novel from the publisher in exchange for my honest review*

3.5/5 Star

Madison Jackson, a 21 year old intern for the Boston Lede, is trying to get her first headline in the paper. She gets her opportunity when a socialite named Dahlia Kennedy, murdering her husband and son comes to light. Dahlia, who refused to talk to any other reporter, confesses to
hizatul
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
actual rating: 4.2/5 ⭐

this story was about an intern named Madison Jackson who was eager to do something to make everyone start to recognise her as a real reporter. enter the gorgeous yet murderous Dahlia Kennedy who refused to talk to anyone else about her recent crime but to the rookie Madison. then, people start to see her a subject to sell the story. but what was really at stack, here?

i love LOVE the illustrations and the colours and how unapologetic queer this book is! the story felt a bit
Alexander Peterhans
A sometimes confusing thriller/crime story about a young intern reporter following up on a grisly murder, while pushing herself to take more and more drastic actions.

Madison is an intern at The Boston Lede, a local paper, and she is assigned to the case of a woman supposedly murdering her husband and son. Madison think the alleged murderer is covering for some reason and hasn't murdered anyone. Madison soon starts making dubious decisions, that seem to push her over the line. How important is
Paul
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The pacing is near-perfect as Dunn makes sure to give away just enough of the mystery to keep the reader turning the pages. And the illustrations highlight the noir feeling of both the criminality of the plot and the anxiousness of Madisons mind. I also liked the palette of dark blues and oranges and the select bright colors that symbolize the dramatic moments in the piece. Great choices to highlight the atmosphere.

A raw and poignant look at a young reporter quickly pulled into the murky world
Sara
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The very cleverly titled "Bury the Lede" is a pretty fun, but super confusing new graphic novel from Gaby Dunn (a well known nonfiction author debuting her first graphic novel) and Claire Roe (who's lot a resume of awesome comic and graphic novel about three miles long). The head spinning story has a good enough set up. Madison Jackson is a young, untested journalism intern at The Boston Lede where she's trying everything she can think of to be noticed by the editor in chief.

That notice arrives,
Carlos
Thanks to NetGalley and Boom! Studios for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Bury the Lede is a noir/crime graphic novel about Madison Jackson, a young intern at one of Bostons most important newspapers whos willing to do whatever she has to in order to get a front page scoop.

While I loved the art style, I was not the biggest fan of the plot. I think it was disjointed and pretty confusing (I had to go back many times to try to figure out who or what the hell they were talking
Maia
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, comics
This fast paced, fun, pulp tale introduces Madison Jackson, a young bisexual journalist trying to work her way up from intern to full reporter at The Boston Lede. She works night shifts listening to police scanners in hopes of getting a scope and eventually a byline. When wealthy socialite Dahlia Kennedy is found covered in blood at the scene of her husband's corpse, she is arrested on suspicion of murder both of her husband and her missing son. For some reason, Dahlia chooses to speak to ...more
Alisa
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dahlia is arrested for murdering her husband. Her little son is also missing. All the reporters of the city want to speak to Dahlia to get an exclusive but she chooses to speak to an intern,Madison. From there follows a game of cat and mouse.
Bury the Lede was so much fun, it appealed to my love for crime fiction. Madison was quite an interesting main character. Selfish,eager to make a name for herself,ready to do bad things in order to get information. The main character and a few side
Kirsty
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely artwork and colours, a diverse cast of characters, a complex and difficult heroine, and great LGBT and POC representation - I loved this. The story wasnt super compelling to me, but I liked the characters so much that Id have watched them investigate pretty much anything. I hope theyll all be back in future books (and no spoilers but the protagonist has made a pretty huge mess of her interpersonal relationships by the end of the book, so theres plenty to mine in future volumes). ...more
Corrie
Scribd is not really the right vehicle to really enjoy graphic novels to the fullest. The squinting nearly gave me a headache but I managed. Nice artwork, interesting story with lots of twists.

f/f

4 stars
Becky
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an interesting little story!

I'm not sure what exactly I expected going in, but this was an incredibly enjoyable, page-turner of a graphic novel. I was hooked in the story right from the outset and didn't put it down until I had finished.

Would love to pick up any future instalments and delve back into the lives of these characters!
Laura U
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, graphic-novels
*I was provided with a copy of this book by Netgalley. Thank you!*

This graphic novel carries an intricate mystery told from the point of view of an intern at the Lede, a notorious Boston newspaper.
The characters are incredible. I liked Madison Jackson as the main character. I've never traveled so far into the world of reporters and magazines. Her journey in that world is ours. Madison is relatable because she is introverted but ambitious. She is bisexual and also another character is queer. I'm
Bianca (theperksofbeingbianca)
That was fun and interesting. I wish it was a bit longer, though.

The art was good; I really liked the cover and the first pages' design. I loved the diversity of the characters, lots of POC and LGBTQ+ rep and even some dialogue in Spanish!

I loved the plot twists and Dahlia's character was great. A lot of strong and powerful women were presented here, although their ethic might vary.
Dakota Morgan
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
An involving mystery, swell art, diverse characters - Bury the Lede has a great set of attributes. Unfortunately, it loses some points for a number of weird storytelling gaps. Numerous scenes involve the main character, Madison, enraging a fellow reporter or cop acquaintance for underexplained reasons. By the end, Madison is something of a pariah and I couldn't stop thinking, "Why??"

The other pieces of Bury the Lede work pretty well though. Madison is an intern at the Boston Lede who stumbles
Rachel Hough
Aug 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: thats-gay-baby
I wanted to like this more, but I still enjoyed it. The characters by themselves were fantastic: nuanced, clever, emotional, and just MEAN which I thought was a natural and accurate depiction of humans in work culture (in all faucets, really, but Im trying to be kind). The art style was so wonderful, so delicious and sharp. Because the main character was bisexual the use of pinks, blues, and purples was so fun and aesthetically pleasing. But I was really scratching my head at the endit was ...more
amanda
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whoa, darker and deeper than I thought and there were warnings about that! For that, I am so grateful.

The artwork is stark and beautiful. I can't count the amount of times I stopped focusing on the story to just admire how well done and stylistic the art is.

The story is confusing a bit and I felt that it should have been much longer, however I get it and it wasn't hard to get into the swing of things as you kept reading. QUEER and POC representation galore! I love it and I love that we're
Larissa Is Reading
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I was kindly sent an arc of Bury the Lede by Gaby Dunn from Netgalley*

I read this in an hour! It was really interesting. Ive never read a book or a graphic novel like this before. I got some Elle Woods (Legally Blonde) vibes from this.

We follow a bisexual female who is an intern and is the only person Dahlia will talk to (a convicted murderer). The intern gets the story from her about the people who were murdered and becomes a reporter.

I knocked a star off because at one point, the intern
Buddy Scalera
Nov 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
The story is about an intern at a newspaper who stumbles upon a fascinating story by becoming part of the story. It's promising, if not wholly original.

I read this without knowing anything about Gaby Dunn, except that she was a reporter. And she used the phrase "bury the lede" on the cover of the graphic novel, which gave me hope that this was going to be good. Or at least competent. It was not.

As other reviewers have noted, the story is a confusing mess. This may have worked as a novel, as
Melissa
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
The ending was too abrupt and I didnt get....most of the plot going on? Also yikes for cheating and drug abuse that never hot adressed. I think if this wouldve been longer it wouldve been better. 1 extra star for the gorgeous art, otherwise thats a 1 star for me. ...more
Adrienne
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

bisexuals! poc! gay drama and mystery! queer sex!
there were some plot leaps/ holes that i wish were clarified, but otherwise a good read.
Louise
Nov 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, graphic-novel
Loved the colors, the art, the representation, and the cozy fall outfits. The story was only just okay.
Shailey
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very fun queer murder mystery with great characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Grease Bats
  • Ghosted in L.A., Vol. 1
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Morning in America