Start by marking “Beyond the El” as Want to Read:
Beyond the El

Beyond the El

Connor is a food crafter just getting back into the business after his mother’s death. To cope with his grief, Connor spends day after day recreating her potstickers, but they are never quite what he remembers. To move on with his life, he will have to confront his past.

Read John Chu's Tor.com Original short story, Beyond the El.

At the Publisher's request, this title is be
Published January 16th 2019 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the El, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the El

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
🍳 Free Cooking Fantasy short from Tor 🍳

Supposedly magical cooking + boring family stuff + paper dumplings + abusive siblings + handsome band singer *eyeroll* =

Gary
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
John Chu’s “Beyond the El” is the story of Connor, a high-end “food crafter” who uses magic to make gourmet meals but can’t for the life of him recreate his late mother’s pot sticker recipe. His manipulative older sister Prue, who has been abusing him since he was a child, shows up at his restaurant one night demanding that he turn over his share of their mother’s money to their father, and he can’t bring himself to connect with the handsome singer from work who makes eyes at him every day. The ...more
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
I remain ambivalent about the magical element (this story could be straight up contemporary fiction with no SFF aspect, and it would still work perfectly), but the journey the protagonist goes through with his family relationships...This was so satisfying, without being a tearjerker or being angry.
Jen
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-freebie
Well that was depressing. Short, but not worth it. 1, that sister was an evil piece of work and the brother was a weak push over, Star.
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The first story in Tor’s short fiction newsletter. It was pretty good. I found the inclusion of the food “crafting” an odd choice since it really had no effect on the story. It was kind of like- oh yeah, this is supposed to be fantasy, how should I do that? I know! Food crafting.

And I’m over here like: 🙄

I almost think it would have been more impactful without the crafting? I’m just assuming it would be easier to remake mama’s dumpling with magic food hands than without them. Therefore, no food c
Ami
Hmmm, I loved Chu's short, The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere, but this one is a disappointment. Maybe because I hate the big sister, she's abusive and manipulative, and the brother just gives in. Plus the whole story is rather depressing, compared to the previous short that has tenderness and family love to it.

It also makes me wonder about Chu's own experience with his family -- because I remember The Water... also has a horrible big sister character :(
Gerhard
If you like short-form genre fiction, tor.com now has a fantastic option whereupon you can subscribe and receive a bimonthly ebook containing everything published on its website for that period. The website has quickly established itself as a leading publisher of genre fiction that pushes boundaries, and which also gives up-and-coming writers a fantastic platform to reach a wider audience. I looked for this compilation on Goodreads, but I see that all of the tor.com novellas are listed as standa ...more
Zoe's Human
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lt
A man grieves for his mother by trying to recreate her cooking, only to find that he must cope with a toxic sibling in order to move forward. The emotional honesty of the story perfectly balances the magical element.
Marco
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really liked John Chu's work in the past and I was eager to read hist latest short story. I was not disappointed. It's a very interesting story, focusing on complex family relation and on their emotional toll.
This is the story of Connor, a food crafter, just getting back into the business after his mother's death. To cope with his grief, Connor spends day after day recreating her potstickers, but they are never quite what he remembers. To move on with his life, he will have to confront his pas
Maria
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tor-com
Yet another story about food (& memories) at tor.com. I wonder if writers somehow picked up a marketing trend of ' food as an experience' or whatever it is called. In any case, the story is very good. I definitely recommend it.

Btw, I also recommend you try fried dumplings if you haven't yet.

Read it here: https://www.tor.com/2019/01/16/beyond...
Kat
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
There were simply too many typos and poorly constructed sentences to give this a higher rating. It says that it was edited by Ann VanderMeer, but this person either has no experience or is not good at their job. Or possibly, it was never actually edited at all. And because of all the errors, it made it quite difficult to understand what was trying to be said.

Here are some examples:

"Also, some of Mom's "estate" -- their parents aren't not [sic] exactly rich -- must be in Taiwan."
- This might b
Michael
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
An interesting premise for a story but it never seemed to go anywhere. Well written but it did not work for me.
Joe
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sad but compelling story of family life and its consequent disappointments. Metaphors are maybe just a little bit stretched, but not obviously so.
Kathleen
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting view of magical cookery and abusive family dynamics. Find your own bliss point, Connor!
Nerine Dorman
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful short story about memories and letting go, and dealing with the casual cruelty of siblings. Read over at https://www.tor.com/2019/01/16/beyond...
Fiona
Paul
Jan 22, 2019
Emma
Jan 20, 2019
John Chu is a microprocessor architect by day, a writer by night. His fiction has appeared or is forthcoming at Boston Review, Bloody Fabulous, Asimov's Science Fiction, Apex Magazine and Tor.com. His story "The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere" won the 2014 Hugo Award for Best Short Story.