Start by marking “The Giving Heart” as Want to Read:
The Giving Heart

The Giving Heart

(Summer Island #2)

Spend a white Christmas on Summer Island, where the fires are warm and the romance is hotter

Lila Sloan wonders why she ever thought house-sitting for her sister Meg on the remote Summer Island was a good idea. And to make matters worse, local real estate developer Beck Grainger is trying to cut down the beautiful trees that line the property. Lila can't let this happen;
Published October 29th 2019 by Hqn

To ask other readers questions about The Giving Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giving Heart

Start your review of The Giving Heart
Paula
This is an honest review to combat all the fake BS reviews written..!

SPOILER WARNING!!!!

First of, the blurb is misleading. This is NOT about Lila & Beck - but Beck, Suzette (OW) and Lila (to some small degree)! Confused? Yep, that's how I was going in. I expected to read a story about two folks as the blurb stated and about their "angst". What I was not expecting is a triangle of some form in which leaves the reader confused as to who the actual heroine is in this story!

In the most part, the
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
This was a cheesy but very warmhearted read for the holiday season. If you are in the mood for a cheesy romance, look no further and pick this one up. Yes, there was indeed substance to the story as well but it was one of those stories that could easily be seen being adapted into a perfect Hallmark Christmas movie. If that happens, I know I would watch it for sure.

I did eventually become frustrated with the 'back-and-forth' nature of the two main characters getting together then deciding it was
Susan
Good continuation of the series. It opens with a rush as Lila, who is inn-sitting for her older sister Meg, sees a bulldozer knocking down trees behind the inn. She rushes out in her pajamas and slippers determined to stop it. There she encounters Beck, real estate developer, and owner of the land. She's stunned to hear of the plans to build houses on that hill and furious over what it will mean to the inn. She's determined to stop him in his tracks. Beck, who made his first appearance in the ...more
Hallie Szott
When Lila Sloan arrives on Summer island to take care of her sister’s inn, she takes an instant disliking to Beck Grainger, a real estate developer determined to ruin the inn’s view in order to build. Yet, over the course of the following days, as they get to know one another while arguing about the trees, they find that perhaps, they do not need to be at odds. Still, the potential romance is complicated by Beck’s infatuation with a local, Suzanne, while Lila has her past to confront.

The second
Bree Hill
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday-romances
(I’m vlogging my thoughts on my current TisTheSeasonAThon Vlog on my YT channel, @ Bree Hill) so check me out there, BUT this had all the makings of a five star read for me for the first 200ish pages. Turned a bit slow and dragged out for my liking in the end And in the ending (this is a personal preference issue) there is an added thing into the story that I’m just not always a fan of. NO, not surprise pregnancy. Get your mind out of the gutter! But something else you wouldn’t expect when the ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I’m so glad that Toni Blake is going back to write these kind of Contemporaries. In a time when Contemporary Romance is very popular but the focus is usually on being humorous or sexy, I really find myself gravitating to books like Blake’s where there’s a lot of emotion and conflict. I yearn for stories that mean something and I think Toni’s books always have a purpose to them that not everyone appreciates.

I completely enjoy her slower pace writing style. I love the small town feel to the
Darcy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked this one but was so so on the romance part. I found myself more enjoying Beck and the little boy's adventures and Lila telling everyone why she escaped to the Island. I think both Beck and Lila learned more about themselves through these things than they did their big romance.
Misty's Book Space
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 4-stars
Back in November I participated in a blog tour for this book that R&R Book Tours hosted. I had agreed to read and review this book before I realized it was the second book in the series but even though I haven't read the first book yet I don't feel like I was missing out on anything. But after finishing this one I for sure want to go back and read the first one.

This book is told from 3 different perspectives Lila, Beck and Suzanne. While Suzanne does have a significant role in the book she
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I am really enjoying the Summer Island series. Toni Blake has a way of bringing a story full circle and this one was no different but it also came with a beautiful message. Giving. Lila was running away, again. She knows she has done this her whole life and knows that it has to stop. It’s time she becomes the responsible person everyone could rely on. Step One … help out the sister she wasn’t there for when she needed her the most. Step Two … well, she’ll get to that when she figures it
Beth
Lila Sloan is house sitting for her sister’s, Meg, bed and breakfast. The home was the grandparent’s inn, on Summer Island, a remote island only accessible by boats. She’s always felt like she failed her sister because she was not emotionally there for her while she battled cancer. So, she is stepping up to the plate and house sitting so her sister can get away for a much-needed vacation.

Lila is woke up by the sound of a large machine tearing up the picturesque hillside behind the inn, where she
4 Stars

Review coming soon...
Cheryl
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a charming holiday read. The romance between Beck and Lila was fine. Yes, there were sparks but I was not feeling them as strongly as I would have liked to. For one; It took me a while to warm up to Lila. Yet, when it came to Beck, I had no issues. This has to do a lot with the fact that he warmed me heart with how kind and good he is with Cade. Little children are a guaranteed winner.

In fact, Cade may have stole some of the spotlighting this story. I would not get enough of
Dash fan
4 A Warm and Cosy Romance

The Giving Heartis a cosy warm romance.
I wasn't aware that this was part of a series although this can be read as a standalone i did feel i missed out on a little character development.

Lila is looking after her sister Megs Inn whilst she's away.
But what she didn't know, was that a developer has set his sights on the land and wants to bulldoze down the trees in the area.

Beck the developer is very Handsome and Lila doesn't bank on having an attraction towards him.
She's
Cheryl
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lila and Beck were not what I was expecting from either the blurb or the cover of this book. Lila is very immature and kind of scattered. I didn’t feel as much chemistry as I would have liked or expected. Beck seems like a decent guy, but I didn’t really warm to him, either. And don’t get me started on Suzanne.
I’ll try another Toni Blake book in the future, but Summer Island doesn’t feel like the series for me. 2.5 stars
sbtbkb
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was ok. It seemed a little juvenile to me. I liked the hero but the heroine was a bit annoying. Even he gave up on her after a while. It felt a little odd to just shoehorn the #metoo stuff. I felt more time could have been spent on that stuff than on Suzanne. She just seems sad at this point. I enjoyed the authors previous series, but this one not so much.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is the second book in the Summer Island series, but the first I have read. I had no problem following this story and it can definitely be read as a standalone book. This book opens with a bang and kept going strong. Lila is inn-sitting for her older sister Meg, when she hears cracking sounds. Looking out the window, she sees a bulldozer knocking down the trees behind the inn. She rushes out in her pajamas and slippers determined to stop the destruction. She meets the real estate developer ...more
Samantha
Readers are transported back to Summer Island just in time for a White Christmas sprinkled with romance.

Lila is inn-sitting for her sister Meg. While she believes she has everything under control, she is startled that there are plans to tear down the trees and build houses. She bumps heads with the developer who also happens to be a friend of her sister. She is willing to do whatever to derail his plans to destroy the land.

Beck finds himself at odds as he tries to reason with Lila. He is not
Sharon
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a broken woman returns to her grandmother’s inn to recover and find peace, she stubbornly pushes away a chance at happiness instead. Will she be able to forgive and choose love?

Book 2 of the Summer Island series is a charming Christmas love story about Lila and Beck. Lila is desperate, tired, and has made a promise to become a more responsible person by saving the inn from Beck’s land development project. Beck is attracted to the cute and crazy Lila who stopped a bulldozer while wearing PJs
Michele
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See the full review at HarlequinJunkie

Christmas stories don’t get much more heartfelt or complicated than in The Giving Heart by Toni Blake. Enemies-to-lovers goodness with a bit of a love triangle–and of course the true spirit of the season–made Summer Island the perfect place to be for Christmas this year.

Book two in Toni Blake’s Summer Island series had all the entertaining antics and emotional depth that book one did–and it even carried another love triangle theme. There was no cheating
Frankie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope. I don't like triangles and I especially do not like an indecisive Hero who can't make up his mind. If he is attracted to anyone other then the heroine, then it is not a romance for me.
Anne
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5. It was a more complex book then I imagined. Two women falling for the same guy and both were good people. The past both the hero and heroine were working through. The ending was lacking though. Shouldn’t Meg have something to say about the trees? What happens when the heroine goes back to Chicago to face her former boss? The list goes on...
Kim Schellin-Rog
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute story. Fun little romance to read around Christmas.
Ann
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book where the heroine had a negative self image and this seemed to be all she could think about. This is book 2 in the Summer Island series although the series has a prequel also. Lila is house sitting for her sister Meg, and when land developer Beck starts ripping up the tree line behind the Inn Lila needs to move fast to prevent Meg's views turning into a housing development. The romance between Lila and Beck needs a Christmas miracle to survive. I received a copy of this ARC in ...more
Smitten
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it

Beck finds himself at odds as he tries to reason with Lila. He is not
Jeanne
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lila Sloan has come to Summer Island to house-sit the family run inn for her sister Meg. She's hoping for some peace and quiet and what she gets is a bulldozer knocking down trees on the hill behind the inn.
Beck Grainger is trying to make the island more accessible by building luxury homes. He never expected the impassioned resistance he gets from Lila as she places herself in front of the bulldozer. He certainly admires her tenacity and wants to ease the hurt his actions are causing. So
Stormy Feibel
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Complementary book given for honest review.

Lila and Beck have a fun chemistry that begins as Lila is Inn-sitting for her sister. This book is a lovely read for someone that loves to watch a community unfold.
Yolanda
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Review will posted on my blog http://pastmidnight.home.blog during my blog tour spot on October 30, 2019**

3.5 Stars
Thank you to HGN Books and NetGalley for giving me a chance to read this eARC.

I didn’t read the first book in this Summer Island series but I think The Giving Heart can stand pretty good on it’s own.

Lila is inn-setting for her sister Meg on Summer Island, a place in Northern Michigan where not even vehicles are allowed there. But Lila has an ulterior motive for being there also,
Sarah Pie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been craving holiday romances and I've enjoyed the ones I've read, but The Giving Heart just consumed me. So much so that I've reread it several times over the past week.

There's just something about this book that pulled me in. Consumed my thoughts and feelings. Maybe it's the small town feel - that sense of community that is unique to the residents. I've always wondered what it's like to live on a small island and reading books like this make me crave to experience that. Or it could have
Olivia
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-reviews
THE GIVING HEART is an absolutely charming Christmas read that I would highly recommend picking up! Similar to the first book, this one also contains a love triangle (though much less potent/more lopsided) that is done in a way that makes complete sense. Lila is watching the inn on the small Summer Island during December, while her sister Meg is away. It is off-season, and the small island is sparse and secluded.

This is perfect for Lila, who has left Chicago after a series of terrible events
Jessica Figueroa
Lila is house sitting for her sister licking her wounds while trying to make up for past mistakes shes has with her sister. Figures a land developer would be trying to plow down some trees that are near her sisters land and has ties to some childhood memories. Shes managed to slow down his progress along with the help of the winter weather but as she gets to know the "enemy" Beck she seems to soften to him. She knows she cant let him get too close, he is the guy trying to tear down childhood ...more

• All Fired Up
  • Stealing Kisses in the Snow (Rendezvous Falls, #2)
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Low Country Christmas (Safe Haven #3)
  • Christmas in Winter Valley (Ransom Canyon, #8)
  • The Princess Plan (A Royal Wedding, #1)
  • The Country Guesthouse (Sullivan's Crossing, #5)
  • A Coldwater Christmas (Coldwater Texas, #4)
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • One Christmas Eve (Cedar Street, #2)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • Cowboy Christmas Redemption (Gold Valley, #8)
  • An Alaskan Christmas (Wild River #1)
  • Finding Home Again (Catalina Cove, #3)
  • Christmas from the Heart
  • Unspoken (Start Up in the City, #2)
  • A Cowboy Under the Mistletoe (The Wyoming Cowboy, #3)
  • A Wedding in December
Toni Blake's love of writing began when she won an essay contest in the fifth grade. Soon after, she penned her first novel, nineteen notebook-pages long, and announced to her mother over breakfast one day that she was going to be a writer when she grew up. Since then, Toni has become the author of more than a dozen contemporary romance novels. Her work has been excerpted in Cosmo, she's been a ...more

Summer Island (4 books)
  • A Summer to Remember: A Summer Island Prequel
  • The One Who Stays (Summer Island, #1)
  • The Love We Keep (Summer Island #3)