Start by marking “The Giving Heart” as Want to Read:
The Giving Heart

The Giving Heart

(Summer Island #2)

Spend a white Christmas on Summer Island, where the fires are warm and the romance is hotter

Lila Sloan wonders why she ever thought house-sitting for her sister Meg on the remote Summer Island was a good idea. And to make matters worse, local real estate developer Beck Grainger is trying to cut down the beautiful trees that line the property. Lila can't let this happen;
Published October 29th 2019 by Hqn

To ask other readers questions about The Giving Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giving Heart

Start your review of The Giving Heart
Paula
This is an honest review to combat all the fake BS reviews written..!

SPOILER WARNING!!!!

First of, the blurb is misleading. This is NOT about Lila & Beck - but Beck, Suzette (OW) and Lila (to some small degree)! Confused? Yep, that's how I was going in. I expected to read a story about two folks as the blurb stated and about their "angst". What I was not expecting is a triangle of some form in which leaves the reader confused as to who the actual heroine is in this story!

In the most part, the
Susan
Good continuation of the series. It opens with a rush as Lila, who is inn-sitting for her older sister Meg, sees a bulldozer knocking down trees behind the inn. She rushes out in her pajamas and slippers determined to stop it. There she encounters Beck, real estate developer, and owner of the land. She's stunned to hear of the plans to build houses on that hill and furious over what it will mean to the inn. She's determined to stop him in his tracks. Beck, who made his first appearance in the ...more
Hallie Szott
Review to come.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I’m so glad that Toni Blake is going back to write these kind of Contemporaries. In a time when Contemporary Romance is very popular but the focus is usually on being humorous or sexy, I really find myself gravitating to books like Blake’s where there’s a lot of emotion and conflict. I yearn for stories that mean something and I think Toni’s books always have a purpose to them that not everyone appreciates.

I completely enjoy her slower pace writing style. I love the small town feel to the
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I am really enjoying the Summer Island series. Toni Blake has a way of bringing a story full circle and this one was no different but it also came with a beautiful message. Giving. Lila was running away, again. She knows she has done this her whole life and knows that it has to stop. It’s time she becomes the responsible person everyone could rely on. Step One … help out the sister she wasn’t there for when she needed her the most. Step Two … well, she’ll get to that when she figures it
Beth
Lila Sloan is house sitting for her sister’s, Meg, bed and breakfast. The home was the grandparent’s inn, on Summer Island, a remote island only accessible by boats. She’s always felt like she failed her sister because she was not emotionally there for her while she battled cancer. So, she is stepping up to the plate and house sitting so her sister can get away for a much-needed vacation.

Lila is woke up by the sound of a large machine tearing up the picturesque hillside behind the inn, where she
Darcy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I liked this one but was so so on the romance part. I found myself more enjoying Beck and the little boy's adventures and Lila telling everyone why she escaped to the Island. I think both Beck and Lila learned more about themselves through these things than they did their big romance.
4 Stars

Review coming soon...
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is the second book in the Summer Island series, but the first I have read. I had no problem following this story and it can definitely be read as a standalone book. This book opens with a bang and kept going strong. Lila is inn-sitting for her older sister Meg, when she hears cracking sounds. Looking out the window, she sees a bulldozer knocking down the trees behind the inn. She rushes out in her pajamas and slippers determined to stop the destruction. She meets the real estate developer ...more
Dash fan
4 A Warm and Cosy Romance

The Giving Heartis a cosy warm romance.
I wasn't aware that this was part of a series although this can be read as a standalone i did feel i missed out on a little character development.

Lila is looking after her sister Megs Inn whilst she's away.
But what she didn't know, was that a developer has set his sights on the land and wants to bulldoze down the trees in the area.

Beck the developer is very Handsome and Lila doesn't bank on having an attraction towards him.
She's
Sharon
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a broken woman returns to her grandmother’s inn to recover and find peace, she stubbornly pushes away a chance at happiness instead. Will she be able to forgive and choose love?

Book 2 of the Summer Island series is a charming Christmas love story about Lila and Beck. Lila is desperate, tired, and has made a promise to become a more responsible person by saving the inn from Beck’s land development project. Beck is attracted to the cute and crazy Lila who stopped a bulldozer while wearing PJs
Michele
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See the full review at HarlequinJunkie

Christmas stories don’t get much more heartfelt or complicated than in The Giving Heart by Toni Blake. Enemies-to-lovers goodness with a bit of a love triangle–and of course the true spirit of the season–made Summer Island the perfect place to be for Christmas this year.

Book two in Toni Blake’s Summer Island series had all the entertaining antics and emotional depth that book one did–and it even carried another love triangle theme. There was no cheating
Cheryl
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lila and Beck were not what I was expecting from either the blurb or the cover of this book. Lila is very immature and kind of scattered. I didn’t feel as much chemistry as I would have liked or expected. Beck seems like a decent guy, but I didn’t really warm to him, either. And don’t get me started on Suzanne.
I’ll try another Toni Blake book in the future, but Summer Island doesn’t feel like the series for me. 2.5 stars
Frankie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope. I don't like triangles and I especially do not like an indecisive Hero who can't make up his mind. If he is attracted to anyone other then the heroine, then it is not a romance for me.
sbtbkb
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was ok. It seemed a little juvenile to me. I liked the hero but the heroine was a bit annoying. Even he gave up on her after a while. It felt a little odd to just shoehorn the #metoo stuff. I felt more time could have been spent on that stuff than on Suzanne. She just seems sad at this point. I enjoyed the authors previous series, but this one not so much.
Yolanda
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Review will posted on my blog http://pastmidnight.home.blog during my blog tour spot on October 30, 2019**

3.5 Stars
Thank you to HGN Books and NetGalley for giving me a chance to read this eARC.

I didn’t read the first book in this Summer Island series but I think The Giving Heart can stand pretty good on it’s own.

Lila is inn-setting for her sister Meg on Summer Island, a place in Northern Michigan where not even vehicles are allowed there. But Lila has an ulterior motive for being there also,
Sarah Pie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been craving holiday romances and I've enjoyed the ones I've read, but The Giving Heart just consumed me. So much so that I've reread it several times over the past week.

There's just something about this book that pulled me in. Consumed my thoughts and feelings. Maybe it's the small town feel - that sense of community that is unique to the residents. I've always wondered what it's like to live on a small island and reading books like this make me crave to experience that. Or it could have
Olivia
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-reviews
THE GIVING HEART is an absolutely charming Christmas read that I would highly recommend picking up! Similar to the first book, this one also contains a love triangle (though much less potent/more lopsided) that is done in a way that makes complete sense. Lila is watching the inn on the small Summer Island during December, while her sister Meg is away. It is off-season, and the small island is sparse and secluded.

This is perfect for Lila, who has left Chicago after a series of terrible events
Jessica Figueroa
Lila is house sitting for her sister licking her wounds while trying to make up for past mistakes shes has with her sister. Figures a land developer would be trying to plow down some trees that are near her sisters land and has ties to some childhood memories. Shes managed to slow down his progress along with the help of the winter weather but as she gets to know the "enemy" Beck she seems to soften to him. She knows she cant let him get too close, he is the guy trying to tear down childhood ...more
Kimberly
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Toni Blake brings us a wonderfully cozy romance in The Giving Heart, just in time for the Christmas season. I don’t know what is more idyllic than a secluded island with tons of snow and thousands of twinkling lights.

I will admit that I love romance novels. I also fully admit that I gave them up some time ago because, without fail, they make me cry. The Giving Heart is no different. I cried happy tears and sad tears, but this book is worth your time.

The backdrop for this romance is a winter
Smitten
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Readers are transported back to Summer Island just in time for a White Christmas sprinkled with romance.

Lila is inn-sitting for her sister Meg. While she believes she has everything under control, she is startled that there are plans to tear down the trees and build houses. She bumps heads with the developer who also happens to be a friend of her sister. She is willing to do whatever to derail his plans to destroy the land.

Beck finds himself at odds as he tries to reason with Lila. He is not
Kate Vale
Another Summer Island novel in which Lila Sloan is taking care of the inn previously owned by her late grandmother while her sis, Meg, takes important down time to be with her fiance, Seth, introduced in a previous title. But Lila has a big job: now the trees that had served as a protective backdrop of the inn are threatened by a bulldozing developer who has purchased the nearby property on the hill. Lila can't allow this to happen. She's certain Meg would never forgive her.

And who's the man
Ashley *Booksbrewsandbarks*
One of my hits of the holiday season for sure! I was not expecting to be Wow'ed by this book but it was such a unique take on the romance genre, which can be somewhat cookie cutter. This one was pretty realistic and had great character building. The fact that it seamlessly works in a love triangle that leaves the reader guessing almost the entire book was impressive and definitely earned brownie points from me.

The main character of Lila deals with some very real life issues in this book. She
Jane Hunt

The second in the Summer Island series, it’s close to Christmas and it’s snowing, the idyllic setting for this lovely feel-good romance. Lila is on Summer Island to help her older sister Meg, who is taking time out with her new boyfriend. Lila is hurting, after a bad experience at work, which forces her to rethink her career. Helping her sister gives her the solitude she needs until someone disturbs it. Forcing Lila into a confrontation she neither needs or feels capable of, but she has to
Marti M
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Thanks netgalley and harlequin romance for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Lila has returned to the small island town she grew up in to watch over her sister’s inn while her sister visits her boyfriends family. Beck just happens to be the man responsible for bulldozing the woods behind the inn. When Lila confronts Beck to get him to leave the scenic view alone, she wasn’t expecting to fall in love with him. But that’s exactly what happens.

I’ll admit that I’m new to the
B.
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a return to the remote Summer Island at the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Lila has gone there to recover from a disaster on her previous job. She’s house-sitting for Meg, the heroine of the first book in the Summer Island series. There in the winter and this island that resembles Mackinac Island, the permanent residents band together in the cold. Lila is shocked to find out that a wealthy, real estate developer, Beck, is planning to cut down the trees right behind Lila and Meg’s ...more
Marcie Robinson
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome back to Summer Island in “The Giving Heart” by Toni Blake.
It’s winter on the island and Lila Sloan is staying at Summerbrook Inn while her sister Meg (“The One Who Stays”) takes a trip to the mainland.

Lila believes she hasn’t been the best sister to Meg and when Beck Grainger’s land development threatens the Inn, Lila will do what needs to be done to protect the family legacy. She doesn’t count on an attraction to this handsome man with kind eyes.
Beck moved to the island needing peace
Moira
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was good to return to Summer Island and reconnect with the characters from the first book in the series. Meh is off with new best Seth visiting the grandfather he reconnected with in the first book. In steps Lily to stay at the Inn on Summer Island while they're away. She needs to regroup and decide what's next in her life after a sexual harassment charge against her boss results in her being fired.

She never expects to defend her sister Meg and the trees on adjacent land from a man she sees
Cheryl
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a charming holiday read. The romance between Beck and Lila was fine. Yes, there were sparks but I was not feeling them as strongly as I would have liked to. For one; It took me a while to warm up to Lila. Yet, when it came to Beck, I had no issues. This has to do a lot with the fact that he warmed me heart with how kind and good he is with Cade. Little children are a guaranteed winner.

In fact, Cade may have stole some of the spotlighting this story. I would not get enough of
Kathleen Gray
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No! That's Lila's first reaction when she discovers that the trees behind her grandmother's home- now an inn- are about to be cut down. And no to you too is her reaction to Beck, the real estate developper who is cutting them down in order to build homes there. Lila is house sitting (inn sitting really) for her sister Meg, who is on a well deserved vacation so she throws herself into the fight but then....there's chemistry. There's more to this than the romantic enemies to lovers HEA you're ...more

• All Fired Up
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • One Christmas Eve (Cedar Street, #2)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • Let It Snow
  • The Princess Plan (A Royal Wedding, #1)
  • Low Country Christmas (Safe Haven #3)
  • The Family Journal
  • A Wedding in December
  • Unspoken (Start Up in the City, #2)
  • An Alaskan Christmas (Wild River #1)
  • A Cowboy Like You (Heart of Texas #4)
  • As Long As I Have You (London Sullivans 1)
  • The Beast of Beswick (Everleigh Sisters, #1)
  • Lone Wolf Cowboy (Gold Valley, #7)
  • A Dash of Christmas (Montgomery Brothers)
  • Cowboy Christmas Redemption (Gold Valley, #8)
Toni Blake's love of writing began when she won an essay contest in the fifth grade. Soon after, she penned her first novel, nineteen notebook-pages long, and announced to her mother over breakfast one day that she was going to be a writer when she grew up. Since then, Toni has become the author of more than a dozen contemporary romance novels. Her work has been excerpted in Cosmo, she's been a ...more

Summer Island (4 books)
  • A Summer to Remember: A Summer Island Prequel
  • The One Who Stays (Summer Island, #1)
  • The Love We Keep (Summer Island #3)