Start by marking “Scarred” as Want to Read:
Scarred

Scarred

Even in paradise, beautiful faces can hide scarred souls.

ONE tropical island.

Placida Island’s gentle ocean breezes and rolling surf beckon to those who wish to reside in remote tropical serenity.

TWO men living in self-imposed exile.

Wearing twisted ropes of mutilated skin on his back and carrying devastating damage in his soul from severe childhood abuse, Matthew North live
ebook
Published December 31st 2018 by NineStar Press (first published March 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Scarred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarred

Tanu Gill
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the honour of beta reading this book, and I had such a fun as well as an emotional ride that lasted for a few days.

I cried my share of the tears when Vedie's soft, sensitive side got hurt, because when he showcased his soft side, I felt myself respond and my heart got all gooey, too! Vedie has the strong power of molding the reader into the role he himself is feeling at the time, and let me tell you guys that the narrative I strongly connected with is Vedie's. I had embarrassing moments wh
Truuss
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, m-m
5 huge stars
Beautiful Souls with Scars

Vedie and Matt

I could clearly hear the sound of Vedie's voice and picture his beautiful figure when he is dressed just how he likes it and how he feels, with his dreads, sometimes in a bun and sometimes loose. It all just shined through the sentences.... awesome to experience it like that.

Beautiful amazing Vedie, dressed how he feels, finally free to do so.
Matt big 'Crazy Matt' when he sees Vedie in a lace shirt with make-up on he is baffled.
Vedie afraid th
Ezinwanyi
3.75 stars.

Wow. This read was quite an emotional ride. At times, I had to close my eyes, take deep breaths and count to ten due to the author's haunting writing style. The author wrote the story in where we felt the characters pain immediately without knowing the source and that made it that much harder for me because my imagination went haywire. It felt like watching horror film and being afraid to turn the page for fear of what's about to appear.

This book featured two deeply scarred heroes wh
Cadiva
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
An emotionally charged and incredibly powerful book about survival and finding a new normal, Scarred deals with serious issues with sensitivity and empathy.

Both Matt and Vedie are complex characters with fully fleshed out personalities who somehow manage to find the key to unlocking the other.

The plot moves along at a well paced speed, giving time for the reader to absorb each of the many layers being explored in the narrative.

It's not an easy read and I'm not sure I can honestly say I "enjoyed"
Diverse
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-2017-dr
This book hit all the emotional buttons for me. From the very beginning I felt engulfed by all of it. The characters are so beautiful. Matt and Vedie have a past. Their past is the equivalent of many of our nightmares. It's hard to put it into words and I don't want to spoil anything about it.

Separate these characters are stunning but together they shine. As horrific as their pasts are -and they are really bad- both characters carry it with them and they own it. The insight into their thoughts w
Jenn
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow – this is an intense and emotional read, packed full of issues, drama and beautiful souls. Matt and Vedie are both broken and scarred for different reasons, but both are amazing individuals who’ve had to overcome so much in their lives. This book was an experience!

When I started this story I thought it was one I wasn’t going to like, it took some time to adjust to Vedie’s way of speaking and the way he thinks, but as I kept reading I found myself more and more attached to him and Matt as wel
Jenny Wood
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing story...
I'll say that first and foremost because it's a heartbreaking story of being lost and still being lost, even when you're found. It's about betrayal and loneliness and abuse.... so much abuse in so many ways from both of these people. It's about hiding and accepting and running and finding who you are. There are so many pieces to this wonderful story that, I can't even begin to explain them all without telling you every little bit like I want to.

Vedie is running from h
Mercedes
I know, "don't judge a book by its cover." But honestly, this is one of the ugliest covers I have ever seen. Just not eye catching or appealing at all. Horrible photo-shopping job on the guy on the background. Terrible first impression.
Lori
If you like a story with a cast of interesting characters, a bucket load of hurt and a couple of armfuls of angst then this is a book for you. Mia kerick has done a fabulous job with this story, taking two very different characters and showing that however hard the path they'd each travelled was, love can win the day.

Both of these characters were dealing with the pain of abuse. The sources of abuse were different and both were dealing with it in their own way - but there was a common understandi
Lucia
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
I had a hard time getting into the whole cross-dressing and feminine/masculine side of Vedie, but I love this author so thought I'd give the book a try. Not really my cup of tea but I gave it 3 stars because I was very intrigued by Mateo's backstory.
Kevin Casey
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG that is one tough read... because Mia Kerick doesn't steer away from the tough topics... she bangs head first right to the gut of the matter... there are so many emotions... so much pain... but ultimately so much joy and SO MUCH LOVE... Mateo and Vedie have flaws. They are scarred. Everyone has flaws. Everyone has scars... but how these two particular men survive, overcome, live through and live with their scars is ultimately a love story from which we can all learn great lessons. It is an e ...more
Sharita Lira
Shelves: faves
3.75 rounded up to four.

Scarred was a terrific book. I fully enjoyed the characters and I shed more than a few tears at the end.

The only thing that bugged me was Vedie's speech. As a black woman, I was annoyed by his abuse of the English language. Although I do feel that some people talk this way, it isn't associated with black people as a whole.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't the author's intention. I have written my characters with slang, but not really in the narration. I enjoyed the story, so
Amber (bookstacksamber)
3.5 stars. Review to come
Happily Ever Chapter
✩ ✩ ✩ ✩ 4-STAR ✩ REVIEW ✩ ✩ ✩ ✩

> > Judging a Book by its Cover < <
I am not a fan of this cover, at all. Too me, it looks more suited to be a zombie apocalypse story. The red background screams 80’s gore/horror. The washed-out, ashen pallor of the model’s complexion and the strange pose all supports the undead theme going on. Based on the cover, I’d not even pick it up to read the synopsis.
And speaking of the synopsis, it did NOT do this story justice. When I received an ARC of thi
Molly Lolly
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four and a half stars!
This story was wonderful. It was so full of emotion and made me love Vedie and Matt right from the first page. Ms. Kerick handles some heavy topics in the story and does so respectfully and with attention to detail. If the topics in the book are things that are painful to read or a trigger for you, I suggest you skip this book. While it’s not graphic by any stretch, Ms. Kerick doesn’t pull any punches when talking about the abuse, rape, and kid
Kimberly
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-good-mm
I had a rough childhood. This is one of the few trauma-oriented romances I've read that acknowledges how long it takes to move on from abuse. Therapy isn't always enough. Time isn't always enough. A supportive partner helps but the individual will still always have issues. So I give the story a lot of credit. As a romance, it felt like the characters were often at cross-purposes ... it was hard to get behind them when they swung so often from feelings to running away even if that fit the story.
Sylvia
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Dawn
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scarred by Mia Kerick
5 Stars – Review by Dawn Honeycutt

I was given an ARC for an honest review.

I’ve made no secret in any of my reviews that I absolutely love Mia’s work. When I saw that she had a new release, I instantly emailed her and begged her for an ARC so I could read and review it. With each new release, my expectations grow and this book did not disappoint.

Matt suffered abuse as a young child and into his teen years and subsequently became a recluse so he didn’t have to deal with peopl
Joyfully Jay
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Scarred by Mia Kerick is an intense story about two deeply troubled men. Matt’s scars are much more on the surface, both physically and mentally. His body still bears wounds from his abuse, but he is also just barely functional at an interpersonal level, and often just fades out, disassociating his mind and body. His journey is the hardest, because he has to learn to socialize again, to share his life with someone, and to take steps to almost force himself to ada
Michael Mandrake
A great read.

3.75 rounded to 4. Its a really good read. You feel for the characters because of what they've been through. By the end I was in tears.

A a black woman, Vedie's speech annoyed me, but I was still able to enjoy the book. Well done
V
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most terrible books I ever read, I can handle one abused MC but both? this was too much.
Claudia
simply loved it :)
Mari Cardenas ~ Bayou Book Junkie
4.5 Stars

Matthew has been living as a hermit on the tropical island he now calls home with his four cats as his company, as he tries to heal from the emotional and physical wounds he suffered at the hands of a man who abducted and abused him when he was only 7 years old. Meeting Vedie, a young busboy who treads the line between genders makes him want to be able to connect with someone else and slowly they strike a friendship, which eventually turns into more. However, the past has a way of sneak
Taya
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2-review
I'm happy to type that this book has exceeded my expectation. Each MCs carries ginormous emotional scars long after the physical ones have healed. It is not an easy read but the story really don't have explicit on page physical abuse suffered by both characters. The beginning of the story did not grab me. Verdie's speech pattern was a bit of a turn off for me. It just seemed dated and just didn't gel right.

Overall, The goodness of this story has really been slept on. I'm really committed to read
Light
5 / 5 Stars

Beautiful and heart-breaking story of two scarred souls that have a long way to go.

Matt has too many scars, inside out. He has done what he considers best for himself and goes to live alone in a remote island where he doesn't need to pretend to be fine in front of others. Days, months, years pass him by but he hasn't healed completly, a part of himself is lost forever due to the abuse he suffered and his struggle seems to never end.

Vedie hides his scars behind his charming personalit
Terri
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful survivors

Two troubled souls who deserve nothing but good things find each other in this wonderful book. One has gone through life being blamed and attacked for being genderfluid; and the other is afraid to care about anything after spending his formative years being held and abused by the monster who abducted him. They slowly teach each other to love and trust and find their own happy ending, and it's a story I'm so glad I found!
Tanja
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful story of coming to grips with abuse, learning to trust yourself and others, accepting your sexuality.

This story tugs at your heartstrings. Vedie is a vibrant and outgoing young man, trying to embrace his gender fluidity. Young, but with an old soul, that speaks of years of struggles and heartache. He is such a gentle and warm personality. You can’t help falling in love with him.
Matt is a socially awkward man, whose coping strategies resulted in not feeling at all and distancing hims
Edith Dunning
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matthew has scars, inside and out, from being abducted and abused as a young boy, vedie was misunderstood and abused in an attempt to"cure"him. can they help fix each other or are their scars to much to deal with and cause them to push each other away? don't miss this book to find out.
Ruth Evans
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Take two troubled men who think nothing can save them and put them together. Vedie loves his girly side and loves fluffy blouses and skirts, but he's also good with his boy side he just goes with how he feels. So many people all of his life have told him that he's wrong and he starts to feel it. Matt who suffered after years of abuse shuts everyone out and thinks his heart is made of ice. These two men together accept each other. Matt loves both sides of Vedie, and Vedi ...more
Elisa Rolle
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2017 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: Scarred Mia Kerick
1) This book is a fantastic story about two people who, even though both are scarred physically and emotionally, and carrying enough baggage to fill an airport luggage carrier, are able to find their HEA ending.
2) This one drew me in from the very first sentence. I loved the characters and was fully invested in their arcs within this story.
3) Scarred is not an easy read by any means. The author does not pull her punches with the details of
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Rainbow award winner, 'Scarred' 2 14 Dec 21, 2017 09:20AM

Mia Kerick is the mother of four exceptional children—one in law school, another at a dance conservatory, a third studying at Mia’s alma mater, Boston College, and her lone son still in high school. She has published more than twenty books of LGBTQ romance when not editing National Honor Society essays, offering opinions on college and law school applications, helping to create dance bios, and rev