Start by marking “Sick Bay” as Want to Read:
Sick Bay

Sick Bay

Description taken from the Centre for Youth Literature #YAShowcase.

Meg and Riley meet in their school's sick bay. They both have a secret but can they trust each other?
Paperback
Published June 2019 by UQP

To ask other readers questions about Sick Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sick Bay

ALPHAreader
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful middle-grade book from the queen of #LoveOzMG, Nova Weetman!

I savoured my reading of this one - dipping in and out of it over the last couple of months. I'm sure this is being called a "quiet" contemporary MG book, but I think for many young readers this will ring so loud and true.

It's the tender and deeply-felt tale of two girls who become friends on the fringe - each feeling ostracised for the differences they can't hide, no matter how they try.

Nova is so good at writing i
Jude
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Meg and Riley, the two main characters in this book, are both 12 years old and they spend quite a bit of time in the school sick bay - Meg hides out in there and Riley is diabetic. Meg's Dad has passed away and her Mum can barely get out of bed, let alone go to work or the shops, or even prepare a meal. Riley, on the other hand, has an overly protective mother, always fussing over her diabetes and not letting Riley out of her sight. The problems the girls face in this book are very realistic and ...more
Danielle {halfdesertedstreets}
Sick bay is the one place where Meg feels safe at school. There, she is free to be herself, away from stares and whispers and the fickleness of lost friendships. Her anxiety – and her trusty companion, the brown paper breathing bag – provide Meg’s all-season ticket to the little room with the poster of the healthy eating pyramid and the possibly very germy bed. But when new girl Riley ends up in sick bay, too, Meg’s tiny kingdom of calm is overturned. She’s forced to engage with a girl who fits ...more
Wayward Fancy
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Two grade six girls, Meg and Riley, meet in Sick Bay. Why are they in Sick Bay? Well -they each have their reasons.
Ever since Meg’s Dad died and her mother is consumed by a deep depression Meg goes to sick bay to get fed by office lady, Sarah, and has time out with her two emotional crutches – a brown paper bag for breathing into and her well-thumbed copy of Anne of Green Gables.
Riley is new to the school and is type 1 diabetic and hates the monitoring it requires – especially how that impacts
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review from my daughter, who inhaled this book:

This Nova Weetman book is one of the best books she’s written in my opinion! It follows the lives of 2 girls with their family and friends who are 12, and are in Year Six. The story is very, very realistic. Throughout this book, I felt the emotions the characters were feeling as they went through each day and problem. I would definitely recommend this book to other people my age!
Joelie
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me so many feelings! It was very difficult to read a book as an adult about 2 girls that are 12 going though what they are going through, hard home life, medical issues, bullying etc. Firstly because I am not thinking like a 12 year old, im yelling at these girls to stand up for themselves as a logical adult but they cant just always explain how they feel because they are explaining it to someone who both doesnt understand and doesnt care. But this book gave me so much hope, these ...more
Melina
I am so very glad I read this book. It's filled with beautiful writing (the description of the PE teacher alone delighted me), characters who fill the pages and a dual narrator style which works perfectly. This is going to be a must have book for the classroom - there's so much to discuss and savour in it. I highly recommend getting it into classrooms and libraries around Australia as soon as possible.

(PS. Don't start reading it right before you want to go to sleep . . . )
Liz Ledden
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so raw and real - full of friendship, family and feelings with a really authentic voice. I loved it.
Jessica M
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

Sick Bay by Nova Weetman is a middle grade novel about friendship, identity and learning how to accept who you are when you’re on the cusp of your teenage years.

Meg and Riley are in grade six and about to finish primary school; they’re both struggling with something that others can’t possibly understand. Meg’s father had died and her mother is in a deep state of depression. Meg’s school shoes don’t fit anymore, so she wears slippers to school because she doesn’t have any
Pauline
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nova Weetman has written an extraordinary story that will make you laugh and cry. Told as a dual narrative we see the point of view of two girls from Grade Six who couldn’t be more different - well, at least on the surface. They meet in sick bay at school - one girl Meg desperately wants to be there to avoid the rest of her life and school, whereas Riley is doing everything she can not to be seen in sick bay. Meg is grieving and Riley is coping with her life-long but manageable condition of diab ...more
Library Bel
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading 'Sick Bay' and found that it really honest. The description of their 'Sick Bay' itself was eerily similar to ours, down to the humming fridge, germ bed sheets and vinyl chairs (I work in a primary school and am often helping out in sick bay) . I liked that the book was written in the perspective of two 12 year old girls and in a way that I think would resonate with the reader. I think the theme is always current as kids can be quick to judge others and hopefully this will show ...more
Charlie
This was a lovely exploration of growing up while dealing with all sorts of issues: bullying, grief, poverty, anxiety, diabetes, toxic friendships and more. The characters were really well developed and the story itself was well written. The ending felt rushed (and I really struggled to accept that Meg's mum's depression and anxiety were that easily 'fixed'), but otherwise I'm glad that I read Sick Bay. Definitely a book that I can see fans of Wonder and similar books loving!
Marianne
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet book about two girls who meet in the Sick Bay at school during their last year at primary school.

Meg hides there so she doesn't have to deal with people, Riley hides her diabetes there. Together they learn to come out about things that are concerning them.

Explores dealing with forms of sickness, navigating relationships and growing up, but comes across as super white, upper/middle class, so not a good choice if you are looking for a diversity read. Even the poverty portrayed in it is rei
Leon
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as some of my students were reading it. I would highly recommend this for upper primary; it's relatable I think to tweens and contains some good messages and themes. I think kids will be interested in the unique stories behind these two characters, which held a lot of interest even for me. There is some excellent YA fiction out there at the moment, and this is one of them.
AD
I loved this story about navigating life and friendships in that transitional period of finishing year 6. A great reminder that no one is normal, and no one is not normal. Nice to see representation of people with a condition like diabetes and what life is like facing that particular set of challenges.
Ms Schrav
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful novel for the middle years about the struggles faced by many student trying to ‘fit-in’. Weetman has captured important issues associated with physical and mental illness with care and respect and will leave readers with both tears and smiles. Fans of this will love reading Jane Godwin’s ‘As Happy as Here’ next!
Oliver Phommavanh
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nova Weetman continues her winning streak of middle grade fiction with another brilliant insight of a Grade Six girl. The friendship building here is classic school stuff and the complex issues are dealt with tender care.
Michelle Worthington
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sick Bay is a heartwarming story of friendship and staying true to yourself and it reminds us that it is the little acts of kindness that make all the difference.
Liz Derouet
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magpies-review
Riley and Meg meet in sick bay, both visiting often, for very different reasons. This is such a good read, and I am sure will have a huge impact on many middle school readers. Review in the next Magpies
Jane
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Just beautiful. I think this is pretty rare for middle grade books in the way it addresses very grown up issues without talking down to the readership, or presenting scenarios or language that aren't true to the age group. Excellent work by one of our state treasures.
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Sweet story for young readers.
Michella Mcintosh
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute books about the final weeks of year 6.
Star

Aug 05, 2019
Erin
Jul 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Nova Weetman wrote short fiction and children’s television before publishing her first YA novel, The Haunting of Lily Frost, in 2014. She lives with her partner, a playwright, and their two children in Brunswick, Australia.