Jump to ratings and reviews
There is no going back to my old life.

The hunters have become the hunted.

Life on the run is no winter picnic, especially when my partner sees himself as the sheriff, not the outlaw.

It's a cat-and-mouse game across the Last Frontier with agents and vampires out for blood while Fane searches desperately to find me before rogue vampires do.

Surviving the Alaskan wilderness isn’t nearly as treacherous as resisting the turmoil of seclusion and temptation.

I fear I'll never see Fane again.

The road to freedom has never felt more uncertain.

Kindle Edition

First published October 26, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Nikki Jefford

60 books982 followers
Reality is overrated ... which is why I write!

Vampire hunters, wolf shifters, witches, elves and Fae with humor, romance, snark and steam. I love bad boys with hearts of gold and heroines who kick ass.

To get in on the fun and adventure, visit my website for release alerts, updates, exclusive giveaways, and a free story when you become a VIP newsletter subscriber: http://nikkijefford.com/

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 70 reviews
Profile Image for Bj.
1,217 reviews263 followers
March 5, 2017
3.5 "New Directions?" Stars for the Story and 5 Stars for Em Eldridge's Narration/4 Stars for Sean Peck's Narration.

Please note this is book 5 of an UF series that must be read in sequential order. If you have not started this series yet, please see my review for Book 1, Aurora Sky, as the below review contains spoilers for the prior books.

For those of you who have been following this series, you know that it is our generation's audiobook equivalent of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with some interesting original twists and turns to boot. I have greatly enjoyed this made up fantasy world and the ride throughout these first 5 books with book 5, Whiteout, starting to set the stage for what will no doubt be a climatic ending to this YA/NA PNR/UF series that features vampires and those who both love and hate vampires, including vampire hunters and one very prominent secret governmental organization (whose true mission has been part of the suspense arc that has played a part throughout the entire series).

Whiteout starts off where Hunting Season leaves off. Dante, Aurora's agent partner and one-time boyfriend, has just learned that the agency seems to be corrupt with both its leader, Melcher, and Jared, who recruited Aurora, having some sort of devious secret agenda. Dante is devastated as he really enjoys being an agent and this truth is like a crushing blow to him leaving him wondering as to what to do with his future. He also initially refuses to believe that he too is the very thing that he has been fighting.

Aurora is also left in contemplation mode. Does she even want to be a vampire hunter anymore now that she knows the truth? Moreover, how can Aurora and Dante set things right at the Agency? And, in the love department, will she ever see Fane again? Or should she consider the renewed overtures by Dante who clearly is still interested in her.

As Dante and Aurora sort out their own personal feelings both for their careers and personal lives, they must also live on the run seeking shelter at remote hideaways. The fact that their apparent ally is now Giselle, also brings on additional angst. Can Giselle be trusted when she was their enemy just a short while ago?

And what is the Agency up to? Can Dante and Aurora get to them before the Agency finds them. And if they do, what will they do to them?

The narration in this book is performed by two narrators. Em Eldridge who has narrated the whole series until now on her own and a new narrator, Sean Peck (who narrates Fane's perspective). I've really enjoyed Em Eldridge's narration throughout the series and have really come to associate her characterizations with these characters who have now been involved in 5 books together, so it was a bit of an adjustment to move to two narrators as I wasn't as familiar with Mr. Peck's voicings for each character which required me to rely a bit more on dialogue tags. I also felt a few of his dialogues for Fane where a little more dramatic sounding than the character I've come to associate with him. Putting that aside, however, the dual narration works fine given the addition of some chapters from Fane's point of view (which had not been the case in prior books).

I did give Ms. Eldridge a 5 Star narration for this book because I felt that she has demonstrating remarkable consistency over the 5 books so far in this series. Moreover, I like her reading in that it sounds natural, bringing the story to life without excess drama than that called by the scene. Additionally, I really enjoy her timing and attention to details which really enhanced the story for me.

The production quality on this audiobook is also top-notch as the others in this series have been. And I found the sound quality in this book to be on par with audiobooks produced by the big audiobook producers.

My only reservation with book 5 from a plot perspective is that it felt like we were in a bit of a holding pattern. This is understandable as it is a later middle book in a sequential series. Fortunately, the end is near, and we do get a glimpse at some of the possibilities, although no firm decisions were made one way or another in this book.

I can't wait to see how Nikki Jefford wraps up the Aurora Sky series in Book 6, True North. It sort of feels like when a beloved TV Series comes to an end in the Series finale-- you are both eagerly awaiting it while at the same time sad that the story and characters you have come to know and enjoy will finally be over.

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes.
Profile Image for Mandy.
979 reviews126 followers
October 27, 2015
I received Whiteout in return for an honest review from the author. Whiteout is the 5th installment in the Aurora Sky series taking off just after the end of the fourth book. Dante and Aurora are on the run hunted by Melcher as well as vampires both determined to capture the hunters. Now Dante and Aurora are working with Giselle to help her get Jared after what he did to her as well as Melcher. While they are hiding out in the wilderness Fane is trying to tracker her down knowing she’s on the run with Dante doesn’t help settle his nerves he has to find her because she’s not just a hunter but she’s the one for him.

Aurora has accepted that she’s been a vampire ever since the car accident she’s even craving blood but unlike her Dante is still determined to stay as human as he can gobbling up human food and hunting vampires. The trio needs to find the perfect place to ambush Melcher and Jared so they can end it at last, and may just have found the right place. Fane is also determined to do what it takes to get Aurora as well as his longtime companion Joss back even calling in his family. With the help of his family he’s gotten Joss free but will he be able to get to Aurora before it’s too late? Will Jared and Melcher fall for the trap walking into their hands?

I love Aurora she’s one of my favorite vampire hunters who just keeps getting better with each book. I’ve been torn between Dante and Fane each one has always had potential as a love interest for Aurora. While I’m not fan of love triangles I really didn’t mind this one so much maybe it’s because deep down I always knew it would be Fane no matter how much I wanted it to be Dante. I think Aurora is a great character she can hold her own against the vampires, and isn’t afraid to get her hands dirty when it comes to taking out a vampire.

I’ve had this one on my wish list forever so when the chance came up to review it I had to know what would happen next to my favorite vampire hunter. The vampire concept in the series is unique we have the blood sucking killing vampires but we also have those who are just trying to live in the human world who don’t kill. Plus we have the vampire trained hunters who hunt down the vampires who are doing the killing working for the government. I really enjoy the characters in the series even the ones I don’t want to like have actually grown on me like Gisselle but Aurora is still the best. I have actually been able to connect with most of the characters. I admit I did miss Noel and Valerie from the prior books they have found a place in my heart as two of my favorite character next to Aurora. Whiteout is a fast paced novel loaded with action, suspense and a little romance it’s one of those books that is hard to put down. The author has created an intricate story that is beautifully written that captures the heart as well as the imagination. I can’t wait for the next book because I just have to know what’s going to happen with Aurora and Fane. I loved every moment of Whiteout it's another brilliant installment in the Aurora Sky series.
Profile Image for Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books.
500 reviews142 followers
December 17, 2015

I Love this series, and really like the new direction this series took. I can't wait to read the finale, but have to wait so darn long......... This book is a great continuance to this great series I have been reading from the start.

I dont want to say much on the story as it can spoil alot for those who had not started the series yet.

Check it out if you like paranormal books like I do. Aurora Sky is a great character too.
Profile Image for R.C. Matthews.
Author 40 books280 followers
July 24, 2016
I'm sad to report that I've lost all interest in this series and I won't be continuing onto book #6. I skimmed through the last 40% of this book because I couldn't take anymore of the monotony of Aurora, Dante and Camille (is that even her name, I can't recall and I just read the ending last night) moving from hide out to hide out. IMHO the most interesting part of this story is Aurora and Fane's relationship, but the author keeps them apart for the majority of the story - bad decision, if you ask me. Very little happened in this book to move the overall story forward, and I cannot believe that Jared got away ... yet again. That's called milking a story. Nope, not a fan.
Profile Image for Ashley.
88 reviews5 followers
June 29, 2017
I bought this book in a gift shop in Seward, Alaska. I am a blogger @ The Paranormal Bookshelf. This review is mine and has no bias for the author.

Category: Paranormal romance (young adult)
Genre: vampires
4 out of 5 stars!

I have loved this series so far. The only reason this book did not get the full 5 stars was because it was a little slow and redundant at times. I did enjoy how she gave Fane's point of view and gave some more in depth build up of his character. There is also a steamy scene in this part of the series which was welcomed. The antagonist of the series though is taking on a new level of turd qualities that I am hoping will lead up to a great final book. All in all it's a good read.
Profile Image for Amber Smith.
1,253 reviews24 followers
November 2, 2017
I cannot wait to find out how this ends. I am in a reading challenge and cannot read the last one yet, but I am dying to.
Profile Image for AudioBookReviewer.
949 reviews161 followers
December 30, 2015
My original Whiteout audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Whiteout by Nikki Jefford is the fifth novel in a series called Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter. Aurora Sky, her somewhat partner Dante, and an icy foe-turned-ally vampire Giselle are on the run in frozen Alaska. After getting away from a dangerous enemy vampire and uncovering that the clandestine agency that Dante and Aurora work for is corrupt, they fled, unsure of who was on their side. Dante wants to clean the agency of it corruption, while Giselle only wants to destroy her enemy. And Aurora is stuck between her two companions, while only wanting only to return to the man she loves. They travel the remote and frozen lands of Alaska attempting to formulate a plan and figure out a way to outsmart their enemies.

As this is the fifth novel in a series, I think any reader needs to read the previous books in the series for the plot to make sense. There was not much recap and I imagine a newcomer to the series would be confused, even with some of the details that are interspersed throughout the novel. I personally liked this novel less than the preceding ones. However, there were definitely positive aspects. Ultimately, in this novel Aurora is coming into her own as her post-hunter self. Also, Aurora’s and Fane’s relationship is finally clarified to the satisfaction of the reader. One aspect of this novel that is different from the previous novels is the added Fane’s point of view sections as he looks for Aurora. It was really interesting to see how he thinks. However, I struggled with the focus of the novel, I felt that the characters had a mission, but they kept getting side tracked with other vampires. A testament to the author is that these side tracks were ultimately moving the plot forward and contributed to the end of the novel seamlessly. But they weren’t presented as the main objective in the novel, which made them frustrating. I also didn’t like the dynamic between Aurora and Dante in this novel. The reader heard a lot of Aurora’s irritation toward Dante, but she rarely relayed that to Dante. This made it seem like she wasn���t standing up for herself at all. This might have been present previously, but because their relationship was such a major part of the story, it stuck out.

The narration by Em Eldridge was great as usual. There were fewer characters that she had to voice, but she was consistent with each character and consistent with their voices from the previous novel. Sean Peck narrated Fane’s point of view and did a great job as well. The voices were rougher than I heard through Em Eldridge’s narration, but this was easy to overcome. The production quality was good as well. I would recommend this novel to anyone who likes young adult paranormal vampire stories with a unique premise.

Audiobook provided for review by the author.
Profile Image for Melanie Marsh.
462 reviews18 followers
October 27, 2015
What can I say about the 5th book in a series that I fell in love with from the very beginning? Whiteout continues the action packed story of Aurora Sky, once again leaving me dying to find out what will happen next. I’ve read each book in the series way too fast and was always bummed when I finished because I knew I would have to wait to find out what happens next. That’s the problem with this series. You get sucked in at the beginning and just can’t put it down because you HAVE to know what’s going to happen!

Most of this book is Aurora, Dante, and Giselle on the run from the organization, hunting Jared and hiding in abandoned cabins. I can’t decide what I think of Giselle. I really want to like and trust her. I feel like there is still some good hidden underneath her hostile exterior, but I just don’t know.

Fane is searching for Aurora and we get to meet some of his family, which is cool. It’s amazing what money can do lol.

There’s a definite twist that I didn’t see coming, but made me somewhat happy do some degree. I like when an author surprises me like that.

As usual, Jefford gives the reader just enough to be satisfied but wanting more. Whiteout is well written and full of excitement.

I recommend this book and series to anyone looking for a different kind of vampire story.
Profile Image for Heather De Los Reyes.
429 reviews3 followers
January 23, 2017
First thing is the cover is beautiful and I love that she represented Aurora, Fane as well as Dante on the front cover since they all played big roles in this book. To be honest I never understood what Aurora or anyone else liked about Fane until now. Nikki added Fane's POV to this book and it really helped me understand who Fane is. His POV helped show his true feelings for Aurora and of course how he feels about Dante and Aurora's relationship. Aurora has some crazy feelings coming out for certain people that can be good and bad depending on whose team you are on, throw in the cravings and I feel completely bad for her. Tommy the dog is such a good addition and even makes you see a soft side to the cold Giselle. I thought it was hilarious that she added in some names of some other yummy men, to people who have read those books I'm sure it was funny and to those who haven't they wouldn't know the difference. Of course that wasn't the only humor in the book as Nikki makes Dante have a good humor and the arguing between Dante and Aurora only adds to that. It was full of action from the start and even up to the end. New allies and old foes are brought back in and made this book so hard to put down. I certainly can't wait for the next one especially since Whiteout ended to good!!!!
287 reviews
November 25, 2016
Okay

I disappointing 4th book.... this wasn't my favourite book it was long drawn out and pointless. Trying to kill Jared and him getting away AGAIN is getting really boring and tedious at this point of the story. I did enjoy reading Fane's POV however Aurora annoyed me in this book. She isn't the tough girl first thought to believe. She has the skill set, a knife and gun but still needs a man to save her.... not my scene. If I hadn't have read the reviews for the next and final book I definitely would pass. I just hope the last book is as good as the first 3. If a writer is going to venture into writing a series of more than a trilogy then they need to make each interesting as the last and to me this book just did not cut it. Aurora also annoyed me by kissing Dante when she was with Fane... annoying heroine I would say..... sexual content
Profile Image for Suzanne .
616 reviews165 followers
February 20, 2016
This was probably my least favourite of this series so far unfortunately. If possible, I liked Dante even less in this one and he featured in most of the book. Thankfully Fane made an appearance back with Aurora near the end and they finally put things to bed.

I just discovered that there's to be another book in this series. I'm interested to see where the author is going to take things as the series could have quite well been finished off with this book.
Profile Image for Helen Robare.
575 reviews3 followers
October 29, 2020
Book 5 in the series and it was better than the last 4. This time, Aurora, Dante, and the crazy vampire Giselle are together as a team trying to evade the agents sent to capture them and bring them in. Yes, there is some sexual tension between Aurora and Dante but the author doesn't take it too far. Neither does the author write truly graphic love/sex scenes. (Which I'm very glad because at my age, graphic sex scenes don't do a thing for me).

The author makes the Alaskan wilderness come alive so that you almost feel like you're there. So much so, that I had to pull a blanket up over my shoulders while I was reading. I like the fact that vampires can eat and enjoy their food. Thankfully, Valerie didn't play much of a part in this book as the way she is now being written, she is not someone I want to read about.

Aurora has matured quite a bit since book one for which I'm very glad to see. I could not have continued reading if she was just another Bella! Though I know that Jared will be caught someday, I hope it's soon. He is too evil to "live". I'd also like to see more Noel, Grandma, and mom in the next book/books.

Profile Image for Tiffany Copple.
1,320 reviews47 followers
February 24, 2020
5 stars for Whiteout by Nikki Jefford. This is book 5 in the Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter series. Book 5 picks up right after the cliffhanger in book 4. Aurora, Dante, and Giselle are on the run from the agency and they also happen to be hunting Jared. The best part of this book is we get some chapters from Fane’s point of view. Just like the rest of this series Whiteout is filled with twist and turns. I had no idea what was going to happen next and I loved it. I love to be surprised and Nikki Jefford has been great at surprises with this series. I know if I say much more I will spoil something and I do not want to do that . I am starting the 6th and final book now.
8 reviews
December 14, 2019
DNF. Annoyed. h repeatedly puts herself and her friends/partners in danger because she's a weak pushover, succumbing to peer pressure over and over AND over. Also, what 'trained' hunter doesn't check the number of remaining bullets during a lull/before going into the next anticipated fight? That idiotic scene had me shutting off the audiobook. I'm done. The h has stagnated and other than conquering her fear of driving, she has not grown. Even taking into account her 18 years, she is not only immature, but stupid.
June 4, 2021
The vampire hunter's on the run.

While trying to decide how to get the government agency that made them into vampires, and vampire hunter's shut down, Aurora is again with Dante, and not Fane. Hoping to find someone to use as leverage on the inside of the governments vampire hunter task force, Aurora goes with Dante into hiding. Fane calls home for help, and everyone works to shut down the corrupt operation. The characters are like old friends now, and you root for the best outcome as this part of their story pulls you into their world.
Profile Image for Megan Murphy.
274 reviews14 followers
March 20, 2017
Aurora and Dante are on the run from Jared and the agency, teaming up with the Vampire who wants Jared dead even more than them. Joss has been kidnapped by the agency, and Fane is doing everything he can to get Joss and Aurora back. I'm holding out my main criticism until I finish the last book....but for now I can say it was a good change to have the point of view of Fane. I am also dying to get to know more of Fane's family! Please let us have a Pre-Aurora book with Fane and Joss! I know we had a mini story about the Caribbean but it was not enough. I also am dying to hear more about Valerie (since she is secretly one of my fav) and Noel. Sorry I got off track.....BUT I did like the difference in this book and the separation of Fane and Aurora was an interesting change of pace. Now on to the last novel where my heart will hopefully not be broken.
Profile Image for Slate R. Raven.
Author 3 books6 followers
January 20, 2021
Nikki Jefford knows how to write a series. While she ties up loose ends from a previous book, she ends with just a tickle only one new loose end. Well written and characters that are almost visible she has gotten a new fan with her what I can only call an, Urban Fantasy Suspense Thriller. I throw paranormal into my novels to add a little extra spice she puts all the genres together and stirs, cooks on high until cooked to perfection! Leaping into the lat book in the series now.
Profile Image for Andrea Heltsley.
Author 15 books327 followers
September 8, 2017
This book was full of twists! Be prepared for lots of Dante and Gisselle. Dante lets his true colors show and you see him as he is when not tiptoeing around Aurora. However, Fane surprised me. He changed everything in this installment. I didn't see any of that coming. Overall-Awesome! Five glittery stars!
Profile Image for Carol.
343 reviews1 follower
May 28, 2017
Another great book

Another great book in this series. I Can't wait to read the next book. Action, escape, recapture,romance. Something for everyone.
November 9, 2018
Great series

Never stopped reading. I loved every min of it, u will enjoy it as much as i did. Enjoy it.
Profile Image for Teresa.
9 reviews
January 3, 2019
this book keeps this series going and by the end your wanting to know what happens next, is good entertainment on a cold winter night.
Profile Image for Courtney Huchton.
211 reviews1 follower
June 11, 2019
Aurora gets tested on her hearts desire. Things keep happening to keep her away from Zane. And Zane is moving the world to get to her. Finally together and ready to take down Jared in the next book!
Profile Image for J.L. Day.
Author 3 books12 followers
December 13, 2015
As usual, Nikki Jefford delivers a truly inspiring masterpiece. A word of warning to readers, hers IS a series of books best read chronologically, one really needs to start with the beginning and dedicate themselves to following this exhilarating journey with so many unanticipated twists and turns; Nikki keeps you guessing, but she also creates a diverse and complex character group so evolved that the reader finds themselves drawn to not one and not two, but several of these intoxicating individuals you cannot help but become infatuated with several.

Knowing that this is the next to last book in the series is sad and downright disheartening, it will be like saying goodbye to a group of VERY good friends, knowing full well that they will be in your thoughts often as situations and people remind you of them, because the TRUTH is, my friends; Nikki Jefford is such a Master of her craft that her characters are REAL PEOPLE in the readers mind—complex and evolved, genuine, fragile, emotive, full of vigor and humanity, the depth of character she builds into the people living in her world, the one she so generously creates and SHARES with us all—you just cannot help but hope for more.

So, Mrs. Author gal? Listen to the words I am whispering into your ear…………..spinoff….Spinoff…SPINoff….SPINOFF!!!!!!! Fane has become SUCH a phenomenal VIP (Vampire of Interest!), you could do tons with him before and after Sky. They could be a great couple to follow around the globe without the Vampire Hunting business………. Dante has TONS of potential, as does the ever-secretive Noel. You don’t HAVE to close out the characters themselves when you close down the Aurora Sky Vampire Hunter series. It could be the Matriarch of a tremendous family of series’ all tying back to the root and they don’t HAVE to be hunters, (well, Dante maybe…lol he IS sort of addicted to the mantra of track, hunt, kill, party, rest, repeat). Noel is interesting enough to tie back to a Coven of Witches, Aurora and Fane-Sky is the limit, James Bond & Q?

WhatEVER you do, I am breathless with anticipation for the next release of the Aurora Sky series, slightly petrified by the thought of it closing out, but ever-eager for the thrill of the ride because I KNOW that you will make it the ride of my lifetime. AFTER the end of the series, I cannot help but turn am eager/wanton eye toward the horizon in quest of your next grand thrill-ride to share with me (well, I suppose you DO let other folks read them to, but it FEELS like you write them just for me!) and I am fully confident that many countless hours of reading and/or listening pleasure will be gifted to me by the gift my LORD granted you when he gave you the heart and soul of not merely a “writer,” but one of the GREATS.
Profile Image for Angie.
2,326 reviews228 followers
October 25, 2015
Whiteout is another fast paced addition to this series, although I'm sad to say I didn't like it quite as much as previous books. Aurora and Dante have been reunited, but now they're on the run. They can't let the agency catch up to them or they're dead, but that doesn't mean they can't take out a few evil vampires along the way. Meanwhile, Fane has infiltrated the agency and is doing everything to track down Aurora. That's only the first step though, because Jared is still out there somewhere.

I was pretty darn excited to get more Fane in Whiteout, but I found that I didn't care for his POV, which is why I didn't rate this one as high. If it had been a true alternating POV, I think I would have enjoyed it more. But as it is, he only got a handful of chapters and none of them really added anything that we needed to know right then. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Fane, and I loved seeing him stroll into Melcher's office like some badass head of the vampire mafia. But other than that, I could have done without his chapters.

In fact, I think without them one bit of information could have been a nice shock for Aurora to learn later (which she does, so why did we need to know it earlier?) and there could have been a cute Aurora/Fane surprise reunion. Instead we know he's looking for her, even though she doesn't. It would have been a nice little extra "awww" moment if we hadn't known he was on his way.

Other than my disappointment in Fane, I did enjoy Whiteout a lot. I read it straight through to find out how everything would play out. Would Aurora and Dante get caught?! Is Giselle really on their side?! Where in the world is Jared?! What is crazy Valerie up to?! Is Tommy truly safe?! I had to know these thing! Once again the ending isn't quite cliffhangery, but it definitely left me eager to know how the series ends.

Read more of my reviews at Pinkindle Reads & Reviews.
Profile Image for Reader By The Mountains.
355 reviews4 followers
November 9, 2015
ARC received in exchange for an honest review from author

Everyone has their own version on vampires. Do they sparkle? Burn? Dust? But in this book, a single wound that could kill a human could kill a vampire. For example, a gunshot wound. But they do have the advantage of healing if they drink blood.

I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of vampires and more of a shifter fan. But Nikki Jefford definitely surprised me by having me actually intrigued by this book. I will say that I am a bit embarrassed to say that this is the fifth installment and I haven't read the first four. Don't judge me.

Fane is an interline mongrel that will have you by the neck. Not the mouth but the neck. Vampires? Necks? Get it? Gah, I'm so clever. Just kidding, that was an awful joke.

That Jared character is creepy as fuck and stupidly obsessed with Aurora. But then again, he isn't the only guy that is obsessed with her. I mean, this book accurately portrays stupid teenage girls that are obsessed with vampires because in this book, you will want to punch vampires for having a brothel. Yes, there are scenes of that. At least, that's what I got from it.

You'll want to smack Aurora upside the head for the decisions she makes but you want to punch Dante in the face as well because of course he goes after the one girl that is obviously in love with someone else. Let's be honest, this was fucking Twilight minus the werewolves and only hot vampires.

My rating is a 4.5 out of 5 stars but I am genuinely pleased with the book and will go back and read the first four installments.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 70 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.