Start by marking “Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories” as Want to Read:
Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories

Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories

What does it mean to be queer? What does it mean to be human? In this powerful #OwnVoices collection, twelve of Australia’s finest queer writers explore the stories of family, friends, lovers and strangers – the connections that form us.

Compelling queer short fiction by bestsellers, award winners and newcomers to the #LoveOzYA community including Jax Jacki Brown, Claire G
Published June 1st 2019 by Walker Books Australia

To ask other readers questions about Kindred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kindred

Start your review of Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories
The Nerd Daily
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Brooklyn Saliba

Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories features stories by Australian authors Jax Jacki Brown, Claire G Coleman, Michael Earp, Alison Evans, Erin Gough, Benjamin Law, Omar Sakr, Christos Tsiolkas, Ellen Van Neerven, Marlee Jane Ward, Jen Wilde, and Nevo Zizin.

Honestly, I can’t even begin to explain how important this book is because everyone should have a copy in their collection of books! It’s a must read and I personally found ther
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic collection of queer stories from own voices authors! Many of the stories varied in terms of tone, genre, identities and subjects - some capturing the sweet love of adolescence, others about darkness and depression, and yet others about surviving an unfamiliar world together. There's some memoirs, essays and fictional stories mixed in as well.

The intersectional representation was also fantastic, covering many different identities including disability, transgender, cultural and more.

M
Emma Gerts
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable collection of stories. As with all short stories, some were better than others - after attending the Sydney Writer's Festival panel on this book, I know some of the authors here hadn't written fiction before or hadn't written short stories before, and in a couple of cases it was quite obvious - either in a somewhat juvenile writing style or in a couple of cases the story feeling more like an essay or personal reflection. But for all of that, some of these were BRILLIANT. Some ...more
Luce
10 were good, one was…okay, and one was frankly horrible. Video review up on my channel tomorrow.

Review copy kindly provided by AusYABloggers and Walker Books as part of the Kindred Blog Tour. My review is entirely honest.
Sim ✨(wholesimreads)
✔️31. a book (/stories...) set on a college or university campus
🌟🌟🌟💫 3.5 stars

What a beautiful collection of diverse stories from diverse, Australian voices! This anthology really celebrated what is so unique about queer writing and perspectives. I definitely enjoyed some works more than others, but it covered a broad range of genres and breeds of 'connection'.
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
NOTE: I received 'Kindred Stories' as part of the AusYABloggers Kindred Book Tour. You can follow this tour on instagram through the hashtags: #KindredStories #AusYaBloggers #AusQueerYA #LoveOZYA #OwnVoices. As well as through the accounts: @ausyabloggers @walkerbooksaus @littleelfman.

I no longer know the lines between literary analysis, review and emotive response. This review is going to be a mess but at least it's mine.

"It's not the dark I find scary. It's the light. In the light, you can
Anniek
Marlee Jane Ward - Rats 4/5

This first story is set in the near dystopian future, from what I could tell. The world building is subtle but interesting, and mostly made clear through details rather than explanations. This works really well, especially since it gives the more subtle exchanges between the characters more weight as well.

The story has a meet cute between a "tunnel rat", aka a girl who lives in the tunnels of the Melbourne station, and a girl who crashes her bike into her when someone
Emily Wrayburn
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some of these were really great (Jen Wilde's story was my favourite, followed by Marlee Jane Ward's), some of them were pretty good, but there were two I wondered why they were there?

And now I've said that, I know you're going to ask, so:

Sweet by Claire G. Coleman was this weird reverse-oppression thing where the NB people were the majority and the "gendered" were oppressed and it felt weird and wrong to me. As a cishet person I wasn't entirely sure whether I should be bothered or not, but I've
Brooklyn Tayla
Review to come upon my posting date for the upcoming AusYABloggers blog tour of this amazing book! Thank you Walkers Books & AusYABloggers for having me on the tour 🏳️‍🌈 ...more
Bee (Vellichorbee)
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to attend the launch of this anthology at the Sydney Writer’s Festival and purchase my copy early. After hearing some of the authors talking about their stories (and getting to meet some of them!) I knew I had to read this one right away. The central theme of the stories was ‘connections’ and it tied all the vastly different short stories together in a wonderful way.

In the introduction, Michael Earp describes the word kindred as “an encapsulating word that places “me” next to
Dylan Rowen
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some incred short stories from some incred queer Australian writers. More so geared towards teens and YA. Had to read this for a work project.
Alonso
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautiful collection of queer stories!!!
Laura Altmann (laurabookish)
So the lovely people at Walker Books were kind enough to send me a copy of Kindred for review, however, I was only about half way through the book when my water bottle leaked all over my back and pretty much destroyed the book! I was very angry with myself, as I'd been looking forward to reading the rest, and was especially excited for the Benjamin Law story (which is unfortunately last in the book). As such, I won't give it a star rating, but I will share my thoughts on the stories I did read.

R
Ash | Wild Heart Reads
Kindred is a collection of brilliant queer #LoveOzYA short stories. This anthology is a must read and one that I wish I had when I was younger, but one I am glad is here now because at any age it’s wonderful to see this out in the world and be able to connect to it. From a little bit futuristic to a little bit dystopian to a little bit magic, these stories cover a range of elements and there’s something for everyone.

What I really love about Kindred is the representation. Whilst the range of quee
Blue
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was heart crushingly amazing!
This collection of short stories written by Australians really hit the mark. It really proves that there is no certain look for member of the LBGT community, or that they like a certain thing or act a certain way. This is great, I am really sick of books, movies and even society labelling the LBGT community in a certain way. Like all lesbians need to have short hair or all gays need to be ‘girly’.
It is great to see this community represented in a brand new ligh
Ben Truong
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories is an anthology of twelve short stories collected and edited by Michael Earp. This anthology collects a dozen short stories about being queer in Australia.

For the most part, I really like most of these contributions. Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories comprises of a dozen short stories about being queer in Australia. The stories are all incredibly diverse and it was great to see how each author brought something so interesting and incredible to each story as
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
Terrific collection of YA stories of all kinds. Really great to see both established and emerging voices!
BrutallyHonest
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Would have given 4 stars if it didn't have a pedophilia apologist story in the middle. No warnings, right in the middle of YA. No thanks.
Nick Parkinson
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
This was a heart-warming read, and one I wish was on the syllabus when I was in highschool. Kindred: 12 Queer #LoveOzYA Stories is a collection of twelve short stories with queer protagonists. There's a whole gambit of identities here, including great writing from QTIPoC, disabled and neurodiverse authors.

Personal faves: Jax Jacki Brown's heartwarming story about a wheelchair user's first crush (brilliant ending and great father figure), Nevo Zisin's equally heartwrenching and uplifting story ab
Duskangelreads
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️.5 Stars

This review can also be found on Dusk Angel Reads

Rats by Marlee Jane Ward

⭐️⭐️⭐️

This story wasn’t my favourite out of the book. It took me until about half way through the story to realise that this is set in either the future or an alternate Australia. There was some mention of robots and things, so that’s what gave it away eventually. My favourite part of this story was Maita! She was an interesting and fun character and I enjoyed her part of the story. The world &
Brenna
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5

Short stories can be strange beasts and this collection was no exception. Weird, interesting, engaging, thought provoking. Worth a read.
Sarah Fairbairn
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loveozya-mg
I was super excited when I first heard about Kindred. It’s always fantastic seeing queer fiction make it’s way out into the world. Even better when it’s a Aussie anthology with a diverse range of #OwnVoices authors. I was over the moon when Micheal Earp and Walker Books excepted our (the other #AusYaBloggers & readers group mods and I) pitch for hosting a queer only tour.

I made my way down to the Sydney Writers Festival’s YA day at Parramatta’s Riverside Theater buzzing with excitement to attend
Trinity Fordham
Pride Month 2019 - Reading Challenge - Book 1

I received a free copy of this book as a part of a book tour in exchange for an honest review and giveaway hosted on my instagram account @axiejadereads from the 14th of June to the 30th of June.

Kindred is a collection of Own Voices Australian LGBT+ short stories. It contains a total of 12 different stories, ranging in genre from contemporary to fantasy to dystopia. The authors vary in popularity, but each one brings a unique take on the e
Janelle Dazzlepants
Kindred is such a gem and love letter from the #loveozYA community.

There is so much diversity represented within its pages: not just of identities, but the intersection of identities. We get to read from Indigenous characters, disabled characters, bisexual characters, gay characters, non-binary and agender characters, queer Muslim characters, and combinations of all of the above. This anthology includes fantasy, magical realism, dystopia, contemporary, and more.

Individual ratings:

Rats - Marlee
Em
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent LGBT+ short story anthology with heaps of diversity not just in gender and sexuality but in race, religion and ability as well. My only qualm was that, like Proud, there were no asexual characters.

* * *

- Rats by Marlee Jane Ward - 2/5 - Not quite my thing but an imaginative way to start the anthology. (wlw)

- In Case of Emergency, Break Glass by Erin Gough - 4/5 - disaster lesbians ruining parties to save endangered birds? love it. (wlw)

- Bitter Draught by Michael Earp - 3/5 - A bitt
Cal McKinley
I’ve been excited for this book for so long and I was so happy when I was able to get a copy of it early at the Sydney Writers Festival. This is a really wonderful book. I felt so represented while reading it in a way that I haven’t felt from other books before. The stories were all different from each other in a lot of ways; they featured a diverse array of genres, characters and writing styles, yet they all felt so nicely connected, they all made you feel a similar way after reading them, and ...more
Amy Woods
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookshelf, queer
Review to come on both here and my instagram: @amysbooksandbrushes

.............................

This anthology is a group of own-voices queer stories that include many other intersections that are also often own-voices. They each show queer characters that are faceted and complex, where their queerness is just a part of their whole.

This book was so different to anything I've ever read and in such a good way. For once, I never once picked apart the LGBTQIA2+ representation. It was so wonderful to
rhi ✰
a bit disappointing but good!! i think i was hoping for more fiction and wasn't expecting the memoirs but the!! representation!! it had so much intersectional queer rep and i loved that part of it so much !!
Courtney
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love me a good anthology of short stories, and this one is no different.

I honestly didn’t enjoy all of the narratives within this book, but all in all it was quiet and enjoyable read and I’ll definitely be re-reading it again.

I feel like there could have been more in terms of the sexualities explored though. It would have been nice to get those perspectives on how ‘Kindred’ fit in the narratives of their lives.
Chent Higson
This book made my heart so HAPPY!!
Moderately-full review coming soon.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Impossible Music
  • What I Like About Me
  • All the Invisible Things
  • Ghost Bird
Michael is a Children's and Young Adult bookseller and writer. The editor of the collection Kindred: A Queer #LoveOzYA Anthology which will be published by Walker Books Australia in June, 2019. He is also a contributor to Underdog: #LoveOzYA Short Stories which is out in March, 2019 through Black Inc.

Repped by Linda Epstein at Emerald City Literary Agency.