Start by marking “Spirit of '69: A Skinhead Bible” as Want to Read:
Spirit of '69: A Skinhead Bible

Spirit of '69: A Skinhead Bible

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The definitive book on the British skinhead phenomenon. From the late 60s to the present, this book gives it to you straight. Style, music, football, aggro. From SHARP to the scourge of the neo-nazis. A wealth of photographs, graphics and cuttings make this a rather indispensable guide.
Published January 31st 1994 by ST Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Spirit of '69, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit of '69

Tiffini
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am partial to this title since i used to be a pen pal with George Marshall when he was writing it.. My picture is in the 1991 first pressing so yeah i am totally biased:-) Crybabies like to poke jabs at the "skinhead manual" reputation of this book but before this title came out- hate to break it to you- but we used Skinhead by Nick Knight the same way in the early 80s.. now you kids have the internet....If you weren't the first generation of a subculture emulation is unavoidable.

Having said t
Theresa
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like it already know about it
I gave this such a high rating because it's the training manual for skins. It serves its purpose well and goes over everything. It's not racist or national front and it's really the only sourcebook for this marginalized culture. C'mon, everybody's got to read it once so when some young whippersnapper comes on "all hard" you say "Did you read that in Spirit of '69?" sneeringly and demand the respect that you deserve for being an old fart.

And that ain't much.
Kate
Nov 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Worth reading for:
1. Primer on how to dress if you want to be a skin
2. Humor
3. You can tell everyone you read it; therefore, you're cool

In reality, it's worth reading for a history lesson, if nothing else.
Cwn_annwn_13
Dec 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Yeah the skinhead thing never really appealed to me. If this book is, as it claims to be, the definitive book on skinheads then what little doubt I have that the skinhead scene at its roots was not any kind of real world working class movement but just another teeny bopper fashion/music scene pose mixed with bullying hooliganism has been erased. I will be fair and say a few good people have come out of that movement though. These people also grew up and moved on to other things. Sorry but anybod ...more
Calebrt
Jul 02, 2009 marked it as to-read
Oh...to be 14 again.
Chef-andy
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a book I truly liked. it is not a book for everyone. But one needs to keep their mind open to new things. This book if you wanted to buy can be a little spendee. Anywhere from $95 dollars to $500 dollars. I found a perfect copy ate Half Price Books in Minneapolis and paid $15 dollars. I do not think they knew the prices of this book.

I liked this book because it shared the TRUE spirit of the English Skinhead Movement. Based deep in SKA music, and to learn of the Black and Asian Skinhead
Kirk Morrison
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you want to know the history of this youth culture this is the book to get. Marshall is partial to the scene so there's some cheerleading but I'd rather get an overall view from an insider than some armchair sociologist. Although Marshall is a little too forgiving on the violence in the scene, his wry sense of humor is welcome. A great corrective to all the mis-information you get in popular culture and the media.
Cynthia
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about the history of the skinhead culture. Even if you are not a skinhead you should still read it. It seriously covers EVERYTHING! Fashion, SHARPS, Regge, and even racist skins. Know your history before you go getting all judgmental about people and their way of life and their beliefs.
SHUiZMZ
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this book many years ago, sometime after high school when I was working at Tower Records in Schuamburg.
Smith Vicious
Aug 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
ga tauuuu sihh! cuma pengen nge add aja!
Acap
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
history of culture make fun
Rob Tiedemann
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've wanted to read this book for years and it was awesome to finally get a hold of it. Did not disappoint, and after all this time I still had plenty to learn from it.
Fahmi Arfiandi
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
kitab suci para skinhead ... learn more then you'll find what you looking for...bacaan masa muda..wkwkwk!
Chris
Jul 21, 2011 added it
Shelves: enjoy
nice
Rayoasoko
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I only read it to understand how and why cultural pendulum swung after the 60s to polar opposite which it did provide. Very Accurate on History of Skinheads.
Mokoy Nakadnas
i,m skinhead and proud for that and I was know I,m not the white men in the skinhead.but I try to be like skinned but not the racist skinhead
Jafet
  • Hey Ho Let's Go: The Story of the Ramones
  • Hang the DJ: An Alternative Book of Music Lists
  • Lexicon Devil: The Fast Times and Short Life of Darby Crash and The Germs
  • Fuck You Heroes: Glen E. Friedman Photographs, 1976-1991
  • Jazz: America's Gift: From Its Birth to George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue & Beyond
  • American Hardcore: A Tribal History
  • Touch Me, I'm Sick: The 52 Creepiest Love Songs You've Ever Heard
  • Babylon's Burning: From Punk to Grunge
  • Will the Vampire People Please Leave the Lobby?
  • Modern Primitives: An Investigation of Contemporary Adornment and Ritual
  • The Philosophy of Punk
  • Tradition!: The Highly Improbable, Ultimately Triumphant Broadway-to-Hollywood Story of Fiddler on the Roof, the World's Most Beloved Musical
  • Open Your Hymnal - Devotions That Harmonize Scripture With Song
  • The Girl in the Song: The Stories Behind 50 Rock Classics
  • Turn the Beat Around: The Secret History of Disco
  • On Bowie
More about George Marshall...