Start by marking “Soccerverse” as Want to Read:
Soccerverse

Soccerverse

From the coach who inspires players to fly like the wind, to the shin guard that begs to be donned, to soccer dreams that fill the night, Soccerverse celebrates soccer. Featuring a diverse cast of girls and boys, the poems in this collection cover winning, losing, teamwork, friendships, skills, good sportsmanship, and, most of all, love for the game. Elizabeth Steinglass ...more
Published June 4th 2019 by Wordsong

To ask other readers questions about Soccerverse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soccerverse

Start your review of Soccerverse
Candace
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A celebration of soccer and poetry, Soccerverse portrays the love of the sport. Thirteen different poetry forms (Concrete, Couplet, Haiku, Metaphor, Quatrain, Reverso, etc.) are used to present the world of soccer. At the back of the book is A Note About Poem Forms and an Answer Key identifying which poem is constructed in which poem form. Children who love soccer, or who enjoy sports, will like this book.
Paul  Hankins
I know book reviews should lean more toward the book than toward narrative, but as an eleven-year-old, I purchased, with my own paper route monies, a boxed soccer set that came with a really cheap "jersey," head and wrist bands, shin guards, and small yard cones (goal). Elizabeth Steinglass captures the considerations of color selection in "Uniform Day," the third poem in her new collection. My set came in red ("red like the eyes of a vampire at night/that freeze you in fear before the first ...more
Vivian Kirkfield
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hurray for soccer! Hurray for poetry! And hurray for this perfect combination that gives the reader an inside look from the point of view of...a pair of shin guards? The field itself? The ball? SOCCERVERSE consists of a wonderful collection of different types of poetry...haiku, couplets, concrete (I learned something new - a concrete poem is written with the words in the shape of the subject of the poem), list poem, reverso, and many more.

I love that the poems are self-contained, yet connected.
Teresa
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect both for a young athlete or a young reader (sometimes they’re one and the same), SOCCERVERSE is a delightful collection of poems about the sport that is growing in popularity. There are many different forms of poetry presented (as mentioned in the back matter) so kids, and adults, can learn some new forms. Plus, all the poems are super fun to read aloud. You can feel the rhythm of the game in the words!
Natalee Creech
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
22 humorous, fun-to-read poems that will get kids excited about soccer and poetry! Anyone who has played soccer will identify with the “A Few Words From Your Shinguard” poem (Sure, I smell like something dead, but who cares?) and the corresponding “ A Few Words From Your Other Shinguard.” My favorite was the reverso poem of instructions to the field players and goalkeeper. Teachers will love the list of poetic forms with brief explanations at the back and want to keep this book close at hand for ...more
Mary Lee
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, poetry, sports, pov
Thirteen different forms and poems from all different points of view. Fabulous collection. My students ALWAYS ask for more sports poems for Poetry Friday!
Jolene Gutiérrez
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a fun exploration of everything soccer! Kids who love the sport will appreciate and connect with the poems, but readers who are new to the game will enjoy and learn from the poems. Elizabeth Steinglass has included a variety of forms of poetry and includes back matter describing the types of poems. Steinglass makes a game of matching the poems with their forms and includes an answer key. Colorful illustrations set off the poems.
Lauren Kerstein
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this wonderful book chock-full of humorous, emotional, and relatable poems! Children will love this! This book is a perfect addition to anyone learning or teaching poetry!
B.J. Lee
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this poetry collection about soccer by talented poet Elizabeth Steinglass. She covers a lot of ground (pun intended) using various poetic forms and I like The explanation about the forms used at the end. Kids who enjoy soccer and their adults will certainly love this book!
Meera Sriram
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic, one that every little soccer lover would love! It has poems on everything soccer-related: ball, playing positions, rules, emotions, grass, uniform, friendship, fans, and more! The illustrations are bright and creative, and the poetry is simple and engaging. The back matter includes a note on different forms of poetry and going back to the poems, the one in 'reverso' is my most favorite. Kids that play soccer (which is a lot) can easily relate to the experiences that the ...more
Laura Roettiger
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I have been a soccer fan for a long time and was involved in youth soccer as a volunteer for 15 years. This book will be a perfect fit for anyone who has a soccer player in their life. I’m also a reading and writing teacher so the poetry makes me happy too. I plan to use this book in the classroom next year!
Danielle Dufayet
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a clever book. I didn't know what to expect and I was pleasantly surprised. Soccerverse not only celebrates soccer, but life: friendship, diversity, frustration, victory, disappointment...even the shin guards have something to say! And, on top of that, the reader learns about all the different kinds of poetic forms. In a nutshell, genius!
Julie Abery
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for soccer fans all around the world! What a wonderful concept to teach kids about poem forms through the beautiful game! Wonderful! I loved the note about poem forms. The bright and cheerful illustrations by Edson Ikê perfectly complement the world of football created by Elizabeth Steinglass!
Gayle Krause
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Soccer fans are sure to enjoy Steinglass's poetry in Soccerverse. She introduces soccer terms and poetry forms in an organic, natural combination that makes the reader want to do both. The poetry information page at the end is an added bonus.
Yevgenia Nayberg
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I greatly enjoyed this book of soccer poems! The concept is original, the poems range from lyrical to funny. I especially loved the shin guard poems!
As readers go though different aspects of the game ( and through a day!), they are also introduced to different poem forms and elements. The back matter on poem forms is informative and adds a game element to the book. The expressive illustrations by Edson Ikê complement the text beautifully.
Cassandra Federman
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun read for soccer fans and former soccer players. I particularly enjoyed the poem "The Fans." It takes me back...
Sophia Gholz
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful book for both soccer lovers and those who have never played the sport before! This fun collection of soccer-themed poems is a celebration of sport. This wonderful gift of a book will introduce young readers to a variety of poetry styles that will make them laugh out loud and want to hit the field. SOCCERVERSE is a breath of fresh air that any reader will appreciate.
Kourtney LaFavre
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poetry that children will enjoy! This rhyming celebration of soccer is ure to please even the non-sports enthusiasts. The final page includes info about the different forms of poetry.
Ivy
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
This will be an excellent book to add to my poetry unit. Many of my students will really clamor for this book.
Rachel Grover
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Super cute - a great addition to any elementary library collection. I really liked the arrangement of poems - the full page spreads are related, colorful, and well done. Highly recommended!
Nadia Salomon
Jul 01, 2019

• Can U Save the Day?
  • Fantastic You
  • Once Upon a Twisted Tale
  • Daddy, Can You See the Moon?
  • Little Lena and The Big Table
  • You Are Your Strong
  • Anya's Secret Society
  • Evelyn the Adventurous Entomologist: The True Story of a World-Traveling Bug Hunter
  • The Yellow Suitcase