Start by marking “Gone in the Night (Alex Devlin #4)” as Want to Read:
Gone in the Night (Alex Devlin #4)

Gone in the Night (Alex Devlin #4)

A twisty and compelling thriller perfect for fans of C.L. Taylor, K.L. Slater and B. A. Paris.

Some secrets are deadly…

Published May 3rd 2019 by Killer Reads

To ask other readers questions about Gone in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone in the Night

Start your review of Gone in the Night (Alex Devlin #4)
Lou
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gone in the Night is a superb slow-burn of a thriller with an interesting, absorbing plot. It's a well-plotted story, and although this is the fourth in the series each can be picked individually without issue. Something about the way Riley writes has a certain allure which draws you in and refuses to let you go. Many thought-provoking questions arise throughout and hang in the air until they are addressed and answered in the conclusion. On the journey towards the climax, the tension was palpabl ...more
Clare

With thanks to Netgalley and Killer Reads for this ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

Journalist Alex Devlin was walking home from a charity party when she came across a car accident on a country road. A Land Rover had crashed into a tree and inside was a severely injured man. Alex dialled for an ambulance, and the man gave her the telephone number for Cora his sister. Shortly afterwards two men drove by and said they would give drive him to hospital.

Worried Alex rang all her local ho
Toni
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
When I started this book I was confused. The first three chapters focused on each introducing a different situation. And I wondered what these three characters had to do with one other and if I could easily follow what was going on.

Around chapter five I found the storylines converging and then it made so much more sense to me. So, don’t give up on reading this one if you get confused in the beginning. The main character started to pull forward and we followed Alex most of the time through the tr
books_recommendedbyYazz
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gone in the Night - Mary -Jane Riley 📖 An intriguing read from start to finish as journalist, Alex Devlin investigates the disappearance of homeless people. It was very easy reading with a suspenseful and intense build up to the end with a few plot plot twists that I didn’t see coming. The characters were likeable and pulled on my emotions and kept me turning the pages. I look forward to reading more of Mary-Jane Riley’s work. It is available from May 3rd.
Rachel Sargeant
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced mystery with likeable viewpoint characters. It deals with the issue of homelessness in a thought-provoking and sympathetic way. The setting of Norfolk and Suffolk in winter is so well depicted, you can feel the east wind blowing off every page.
Although it's the fourth Alex Devlin story, it can be read as a standalone.
Amanda
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Mary-Jane Riley since the moment I picked up the first book to feature Alex Devlin called ‘The Bad Things’. It was released in 2015. Since then Mary-Jane Riley has gone on to release another three books in the series, the latest of which is called ‘Gone In The Night’ and it was released on 3rd May 2019. I couldn’t wait to get my hands on a copy. Well ladies and gents, I did get my hands on a copy and I can confirm that it really is a fantastic read. I loved it but more about ...more
Dianna (SavingsInSeconds blog)
I received a Netgalley copy of this book. Opinions shared are mine.

I struggled to get through the first third of this book. It was confusing to switch characters, as well as days/times. Not having read the previous 3 books, I wasn't invested in the Alex Devlin character for most of the story. I considered giving up on the book, but pushed through, and I"m glad because this was a decent suspense novel. Though it was pretty easy to figure out what was going on by the 50% mark, it was interesting
Kathryn
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Accidentally read this as the first book in the series when my kindle kindly mixed these two up - not sure how, but that’s for another time.

The 4th in the Alex Devlin series, focuses on Alex discovering a number of homeless people have gone missing, and no one seems to care, except Alex and the sister of one of the kissing, Cora.

It’s predictable enough, with not enough explained (why did Alex actually confide in the people she did), but it was a good, fast paced story
Lel Budge
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
#4 In The Alex Devin series but can easily be read as a stand-alone.

Set in Norwich and Cora is searching for her brother, Rick…..he lives on the streets, but he’s missing and no-one has seen him since he talked to two men about a job….

There are also other missing homeless people, but the police believe they have just moved on…

Alex Devlin, a journalist, is at an event hosted by the Rider family, when after a ‘disagreement ‘ with her companion, David, decides to walk home….

She comes across a car a
MarylineD
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A well written and captivating psychological thriller just the way I like them.
The kind you want to keep reading to find out more.
Fast paced, keeps you turning the pages until the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC of this book. This is my honest review. All opinions are my own.
Claire
I read the first two of the Alex Devlin books a couple of years ago and throughly enjoyed them (I really must go back and read Dark Waters). So I was thrilled to be heading back to East Anglia and being re-immersed into Alex’s world.

Alex has got herself into a right pickle (again) looking for a missing man. Is he a man who wants to be found or is he a man who others want to disappear? Her friendly police detective Sam Slater desperately wants to help but the obvious right constraints of the stre
Kate
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the publisher: "When the victim of a car crash begs journalist Alex Devlin for help before disappearing without trace, Alex finds herself caught up in a mystery that won’t let her go.

Determined to find the missing man, she is soon investigating a conspiracy that threatens some of the most vulnerable members of society.

But will Alex be prepared to put her own life on the line to help those who can’t help themselves?"

This was a fast-paced thriller which I thoroughly enjoyed. Once again, I c
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
Despite being book four in a series I read Gone in the Night as a Stand alone and it works perfectly well.  I assume the advantage of reading them in order is how much you learn about the main character of Alex Devlin.

Although Alex is the main protagonist, I felt this book gave equal time to Cora, a young woman searching for her homeless brother who seems to have disappeared, along with other homeless people.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading about two strong, main female characters working together
Bookish_chrissie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read with a few good twists. This is part of a series of books about journalist Alex Devlin, in this book she finds herself stumbling into what she believes will be a touching story about homelessness but it soon turns out to be so much more! Alex is a very likeable character who is extremely determined to get to the truth. I look forward to reading Mary-Jane Riley’s previous books. Publication date 3rd May.
Pam Robertson
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although the 4th in the series, I read this comfortably as a standalone. I enjoyed the structure of the novel which followed different characters and gives us what they are doing concurrently, with parallel chapters. There are some serious issues beneath the plot. You see how easy it is for people to disappear when they are homeless and jobless. They become invisible to society. As an ex-serviceman, Rick has struggled to adjust to life back home after a traumatic experience.

There are some ruth
Ruth Parker
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
To start with, this book really confused me. I found myself a little lost while trying to follow the start of the story. I wondered if it was to do with the fact that I haven't read any of the other books in the series - but it all started to come together around chapter 5 - so if you find yourself a little lost, don't give up! Once you power through and get a little further in it starts to make a bit more sense.

In fact, I found I didn't really need to have read the other 3 books in the series i
David Morgan
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this thriller we find a homeless man has gone missing and his sister and a journalist go looking for him. Along the way Alex, the journalist, finds herself caught up in the web of a wealthy, influential family with secrets they wish to keep hidden. Cora, the sister, grew up on the wealthy families farm and has a history of her own she's dealing with. After learning the missing brother has been spotted but is being chased by two men the hunt intensifies. Who will get to him first, the two ladi ...more
Bridget
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Gone in the Night" is book four in the 'Alex Devlin' series but not having read books 1-3, I read this as a stand-alone without feeling that I was missing anything.

Set in Norwich, this super thriller was told in chapters, day by day, from each of the characters' perspectives. I loved this as it gave me the opportunity to see all sides of the same story.

The author, Mary-Jane Riley, had drawn an excellent character in Alex who I found to be very driven, focused and independent. I was totally gri
Rebecca Rowlands
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'll admit that the first 5% of the book I wasn't sure it was for me and then it all changed so suddenly, I got super sucked in to the story and loved every moment. The book is set over the course of a week and the chapters switch between a couple of characters perspective which I really enjoyed.

It's the sort of book that makes you suspicious of all of the characters but keeps you on your toes because it's so well written and has so many twists that I bet you won't get it right with your first
LianaReads blog
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My first book by the author and although is #4 in the series I could easily read it in a few hours and understand where everyone's coming from.

A fast-paced, suspenseful read that kept me wanting more and not stopping because I found the story very entrailing as there are so many issues that our society is still dealing with nowadays as it is PTSD and what happens with the retired soldiers.
The characters were reliable and the writing was very good as well.
i will make time to read the previous bo
Book Him Danno
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first time I have read a book by Mary-Jane Riley. The author uses different view points from different characters in the story. Readers will not be trusting any of the characters even Ale as the story moves forward. Page after page will have readers questioning who is who. The author uses twist and turns to confusing readers. Readers will end the story having it all tied up in a nice little bow.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher Killer Reads for the advance copy of Mary Jane Ri
Sally
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!
This book captured me from the first page. I had never read a Mary Jane Riley book before but now have all of her Alex Devlin books in my TBR list.

Alex Devlin is a very believable character. She's not perfect and does make mistakes and I love that. It makes her human.

The story didn't have many twists as such but the mystery surrounding the story is kept completely hidden until the end, when it suddenly all makes sense.

A great story for readers into this genre.
Kathleen Gray
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nifty little thriller that I read and enjoyed as a standalone. Alex Devlin, a journalist, has a special knack for searching for missing people and this time she's looking for a homeless man when she discovers he's not the only one who has disappeared. There's a family with secrets, some bad guys, and good twists. What's best, though, is Alex, who is the epitome of intrepid. Thanks to netgalley for the ARC. This is a fast, entertaining read. ...more
Noemi Proietti
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I took advantage of a few days off work to relax and immerse myself in some great stories and one of them was GONE IN THE NIGHT, the fourth novel in the Alex Devlin series created by Mary-Jane Riley.

Although I had heard of this series and the character of Alex Devlin before, I never had the pleasure to read any of the novels, but I am definetely going to catch up now because I loved the characters who I found well-developed and realistic, I liked the suspenseful atmosphere, and I was captivated
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Page Turner

Another great page turner from Mary Jane Riley. A thriller packed with modern day themes - homelessness, drugs, crime and modern slavery. It twists and turns skilfully. Couldn’t put it down.
DarkRaven Reviews
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read and I loved all the little twists that this story held. Definitely a page-turner and very fast paced. You won't realise you have read the end of the book until you turn that last page. ...more
Lilly
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting mystery thriller.
The plot involves a search for a missing person but it also tackles thought provoking issues.
This was an engrossing well developed read.
Thanks Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for a chance to read this book.
T Olsen
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a mystery where the storytelling and descriptions are plentiful. Unfortunately, the plot isn't that good, and the book is rather boring. ...more
Charli Appleton
May 28, 2019
Gillian Moore
Apr 16, 2019

• The Women
  • Dead Inside (DC Maggie Jamieson, #1)
  • Forget Me Not
  • Deserve To Die
  • The Perfect Lie
  • A Summer to Remember
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn, #6)
  • Don't Ever Tell
  • The Heatwave
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Degrees of Guilt
  • The Other Daughter
  • I Know You're There
  • Till Death Do Us Part
  • Familiar Strangers
  • Deadly Silence (Detective Jane Phillips, #1)
  • All His Pretty Girls (Detective Alyssa Wyatt, #1)
Mary-Jane wrote her first story on her newly acquired blue Petite typewriter. She was eight. It was about a gang of children who had adventures on mysterious islands, but she soon realised Enid Blyton had cornered that particular market. So she wrote about the Wild West instead. When she grew up she had to earn a living, and became a BBC radio talk show presenter and journalist. She has covered ma ...more