Start by marking “My Name Is Rose” as Want to Read:
My Name Is Rose

My Name Is Rose

Rose is unsettled, curious, and bored. Life in a hippie commune is her parent's dream come true, not hers. She doesn't share their passion for living off the land, nor does she enjoy the isolation that is thrust upon her. When she convinces them to send her to public school in the nearby town, a new world opens up to her.

As she pursues her education, Rose chooses a diffe
Published March 15th 2019 by Acorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Name Is Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Name Is Rose

Start your review of My Name Is Rose
Gina
Rose, the daughter of "Glory" and "River" (not their real names, but the ones they chose) was raised in a hippie commune in the 60's located in Washington State.

Glory and River had fled their city lives in San Francisco to the commune, and Rose was born soon thereafter. However, Rose was not as suited to that lifestyle as her parents were, and she begged to go to school away from home. Home was where they only shopped at 2nd hand stores. Home was where there were no benefits as far as Rose was c
Jasmine
***Actual Rating: 3.5/5 I’m-Still-Me Stars***

Life isn’t hard. People make it that way.

My Name is Rose is by far the most realistic story I’ve ever read. Told from the female main character, Rose’s, point-of-view, this book consists of the most confusing, unsolvable, yet thought-provoking issues we can easily relate to. The story starts with the outcome of Rose’s stubbornness persistent quest for a mystery about herself which she so desperately in need of unveiling. Smoothly, Rose
Bobo's Book Bank
MY NAME IS ROSE is a standalone women's fiction and is my very first read from author Alexa Kingaard.

Rose grew up in a non traditional little commune that consisted mostly of free spirited "hippies". Even as a young child, she knew she wanted more than what was offered at the commune. This is Rose's story.

I'll admit this isn't my normal genre. I usually prefer more romance in my books and although there IS a relationship in Rose's story, it's not what the plot revolves around. Having said that,
Grace
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My Name is Rose is a fantastic story about going back to your roots. As Rose grows up on a commune she begins to reject all the things her parent's lifestyle stands for. As soon as she is able, she moves away to go to university to pursue a degree in Interior Design, about as far away as possible from her commune upbringing. As time marches on she gets married, has children and has an intense falling out with her parents. Ten years after the fact, she returns to the commune to reconcile and make ...more
Linda McCutcheon
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's not an accident that the main character's name in this novel is Rose. The famous Shakespeare quote , "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet" could be the byline for this book. Rose has never felt a part of her family. She has never belonged with them on the commune where she was born and raised and she takes us on her journey to find her real self.

This book surprised me because when I first started reading it I thought it was going to be about a stereotypical girl trying to es
☕Brenda☕
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start with all the emotions this wonderful book conjures up in me.
I remember being a teen, and thinking how much better things would be when I was 18.
In this book Rose thinks leaving her lifelong home will bring her happiness.
In many ways it does, but in the end like so many of us we come full circle, and realize that home is exactly what we needed.
Jaymi The OC Book Girl
Wonderful heartwarming story about family, figuring out who you are and remembering where you come from.

I stumbled onto this book and author when I happened to see a post on Instagram. One of the main goals of my blog is to support authors, especially authors who live in Southern California. When I found out that the author Alexa Kingaard lives in Carlsbad, I reached out and she was kind enough to send me a copy of her new title, My Name Is Rose.

The basic storyline is about Rose and her journey
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Cranky Stars

Rose was raised in a hippie commune which had been started by her mother, father and their best friends. Glory, River, Uncle Jacob and Aunt Fern, these were names they had chosen for themselves to be more part of Mother Nature. They lived off the land and had acres of fruit trees, bushes and vegetable gardens. They grew everything that the whole commune needed as more people joined in their way of life, with their animals as well. That which was left over they sold at a road side s
Linda C.
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Name is Rose is new novel by Alexa Kingaard. The narrative follows a family over several generations of women, ending with Rose. Rose is curious about her mother and grandmother but both are reluctant to divulge their secrets to her or each other. Each generation faced its own challenges and issues. Unfortunately, Rose’s mother and grandmother have dealt with these challenges by closing themselves off from their families. Rose works to uncover these secrets to bring these strong women togethe ...more
Donna Gamache
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is an easy, enjoyable read. However, I found some of it a little too predictable. For instance, one hint near the beginning is a little too obvious. Some parts also seemed rather unrealistic, especially the sudden changes which some of the characters undergo, a little too abrupt ( e.g. Rose's parents). As a writer myself, I felt there was, in some parts of the story, too much tell and not enough show.
Rose is an engaging character although I wished she would be more forceful in her att
Energy
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
My name is Rose tells the story of a woman who grew up on a commune to leave and try to find a better life for herself. Rose goes back and forth through history telling of her past with her family and her friendships, to the present in trying to raise a family with an adoring husband.

She always knew she was different, and when her mother finally makes peace with her grandmother, she's able to reconnect that relationship. While at her house, she discovers something shocking in a picture. For Ros
Meara Fisher
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is not in my usual genre by a long shot, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I struggled to put it down, dying to know the answer to Rose’s questions. My guess was a little darker than the actual answer, but either way, it was a fascinating read. There were a few situations where I felt the characters’ reactions weren’t realistic. I would recommend this book to anyone because I liked it and it is nowhere near my favorite genre.
EssexReader92
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author via Voracious Readers only. This is a gentle story of how love between parents and children is always present, no matter the trials and tribulations you all go through in life. It was interesting to read about a way of life so different from the busy and noisy life many of us experience and how circumstances can lead you back to a life that was once seen as undesirable. Worth a read, but not fast paced, and not the type of book I usually read, but a ...more
Andrea Thompson
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was truly everything I hoped it would be. It is such an interesting perspective to read about a life from. It's got it all - great language, fantastic life-retelling and of course, family secrets.
Rose is a relatable, lovable character. The way she recounts her life, her experiences, her relationships was just so articulate and dead on.
This story is a true coming-of-age, figuring out who you really are kind of story. Highly recommend if this kind of storytelling appeals to you! One of the be
Lori Oliver-Tierney
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the way this book was written. It brought to light the fact that our true identity is the one we make for ourselves and believe in our heart. This was a really enjoyable read and I looked forward to seeing where Rose would end up in her journey. I will be buying other books by this author.
Lois Letchford
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Name is Rose was enjoyable and easy to read.
The first sentence drew me in and engaged me in the story. I loved the secret, it's unveiling, and felt part of the hippy community. The book also gives an interesting take on generational attitudes and changes in the modern world.
On completion of the book, however, I began to think this could have been a great book if several critical scenarios were used to explore conflicts rather than opting for a simple solution.
Robyn
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
*I received a complimentary copy of the book from the author via Voracious Readers Only*

What a heartwarming story. I loved everything about it.

The characters are all well written and likeable in their own ways. And a sweet, endearing story about family and finding your own path while remembering where you come from.

A great perspective on how life comes full circle.
Sittelle
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot. It was a little hard to get into because it jumps around in time a bit in the beginning without any clear indication of how many years later it is until your a page into the chapter. However that's my ONLY complaint about it. Once you get past that it's a really good read. It's a great story that gives you a clear view into another way of living, life in a commune. The author also touches on some themes that I think are relevant to most people about the path our lives ...more
BookishMunchkin
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty decent read about a woman’s journey finding out who she is and where she comes from. I liked the setting and seeing her grow up. The book was a bit boring at times and rushed in others, but overall was a good read. 2.75 stars rounded up to 3.
Samantha
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable read and a story of growth and discovery.
Follow Rose as she goes through her life and yearns to learn the secrets she knows are being hidden by her mother 'Glory'.
Glory and River move to the country and start a commune with friends not long after turning 18. This story is told from the perspective of Rose and her life which begins on the commune with her best friend Destiny.
The easy freedom and natural living are a life enjoyed by the adults, but Rose holds a desire to leav
Marlena
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book. I love the way Would I like Rose's character or not? I really like how Alexa Kingaard made Rose flawed and real. She wasn't really a victim or a hero. She was an everyday person with hopes, dreams, and an unusual family. I completely understand the struggles she had, the mistakes she made, and wanting to be loved. This was an enjoyable book to read.
Claudia Foglein-Goins
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Since joining Voracious Readers I have been able to read a few decent books complimentary and this one was good. A convoluted tail that comes around to the beginning in an interesting and nice way . I thoroughly enjoyed this one .
Adam Ross
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful tale! So full of life and and love. Alexa Kingaard continues to inspire and remains one of my favorite authors.
Holly Kammier
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such beautiful, moving story. As a daughter of hippies, My Name Is Rose, resonated even deeper. Kingaard nailed the authenticity in this one. I highly recommend.
Samantha Wynd
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Buttercupp77
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-general
This was an enjoyable read. It's a lovely, poignant story of a woman's quest for a purposeful life. It follows Rose from her childhood in a commune to her mid-thirties as she navigates both the life her parents chose for her and the life she chooses for herself.

The novel was on the short side. I think that the story could have been improved with some fleshing out of certain elements. I found it was difficult, until mid to late in the novel, to ascertain when events were taking place, so some add
Lauramanganaro66gmail.Com
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quiet, thoughtful novel! Beautifully wrought! A breath of fresh air in an oversensationalized, technologically driven world. Makes for quiet pondering and introspection. I recommend several pots of tea and this lovely novel for self perspective!
Isabelle | Nine Tale Vixen
I received a review copy of this book through Xpresso Book Tours for the blog tour. This does not affect my rating or opinions.

I was intrigued by the opening, since I'm a fan of start at the end and rewind to see how we got here, but unfortunately it was downhill from there.

Rose just irritated me with her constant judgment of everyone else around her: her parents' decision to leave their well-off upbringings to help found a hippie commune, her much prettier "cousin"/best friend Destiny (you kno
Sherrill Joseph
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alexa Kingaard has written an intricately crafted, compelling novel that will keep the reader turning pages. One theme is to be careful what you wish for as events, fortunes, and misfortunes of life double back upon our main character Rose. These cause her to rethink many of her earliest ideas.

The story follows the life of Rose, who grows up in a hippy commune in Washington State. Her parents, “Glory” and “River,” had chosen their names and lifestyle, dropping out of mainstream life in the 1970
Ramcy Diek
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet read. I finished it in one day.
Rose's parents left their lives in San Fransisco behind to start a commune in Washington State. Soon after, Rose is born. As she grows older, she finds out the life her parents chose is not for her.
Everyone has a reason to leave home. Rose wants to find out what her parents reason was.
Wanting to find out the truth keeps you glued to the pages.
I highly recommend My Name is Rose. It's an easy everyone can enjoy.

• Home from Within
  • Cupid F*cks Up (Ruth Roth #2)
  • Lucid World
  • Tardy Bells and Witches' Spells (Womby's School for Wayward Witches #1)
  • Words for Anna: A Second Chance at First Love
  • The Redemption of Erâth: Consolation (The Redemption of Erâth #1)
  • The Courtship of Mallory Richards
  • Little Dancer
  • A Beautiful, Glittering Lie
  • Section Roads
  • The Five Wishes of Mr. Murray McBride
  • Ghost Walk (Lacey Fitzpatrick and Sam Firecloud #1)
  • Apartment Six
  • Lost Child: A tale of Abandonment, Rejection and Survival
  • Class of 1983 (Santolsa Saga, #1)
  • Never Too Soon
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • The Witches' Hollow
Alexa Kingaard was born in San Diego, CA and has lived most of her life in the area. She currently resides in Carlsbad and is the mother of a son and daughter who continue to be her biggest fans and cheerleaders.

Her debut novel, KEEP FOREVER, was inspired by her late ex-husband who battled the residual effects of the Vietnam War for decades after his return. The burden he brought home is shared b