Start by marking “Frozen Earth” as Want to Read:
Frozen Earth

Frozen Earth

(Rogue Star #1)

A dead star is headed for Earth...The shift in Earth's orbit will unleash a new ice age...And this summer will be our last.

The news breaks - Logan Willis's life is falling apart: he lost his job and found out that his wife is cheating on him all in the same day. Thinking that his world has ended, Logan checks into a hotel and turns on the TV to see that he's not far wron
Audible Audio, 10 pages
Published November 20th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Frozen Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frozen Earth

Start your review of Frozen Earth
Anissa
It's been some time since I jumped into an indie but I have Kindle Unlimited so figured I could afford to take a chance. The reviews on Amazon were glowing and I've had decent luck with indies (admittedly, it's been a few years since I've read them regularly). The premise was great and completely the sort of thing I'd enjoy. Unfortunately, a great bit of the execution was not.

The family we follow are the most ungrateful and ungracious lot I've had the displeasure to be saddled with in a long ti
Patrick
Aug 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad writing, sad story

I bailed at page 120 or so. My laughter got me through a lot of those pages but by the time I bailed, it wasn't funny anymore. The plot was sickly, the characters were wooden or flat. There is one very bad man, who actually seems interesting but he's a murdering piece of dishonorable discharge, so that's not a point in the book's favor.

I should have paid attention to his credits. He's an USA best-selling author. If you've read one of them, nothing more needs to be said. If
Pam Shelton-Anderson
This book has editing issues with word usage, plot inconsistencies etc that were somewhat distracting. For example, the elder child is 15 but they were only married about 12 years (apparently so it was more plausible that Kate was still attractive?). The plot was distracting too since it really meandered quite a bit. I kept expecting the subplot of the murderous, stalking agent to be relevant to the story, but it was apparently just a need to have some tension and action and nothing more. Then a ...more
Patiscynical
Aug 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let's do the math..

Please, for the love of all that's good in this world, it you can't count, then leave out any mention of time!
Logan states that he and Kate have been married for 12 years. Their son is born after the marriage. But then it's stated that the son is 15 years old. I even double checked to make sure I read it correctly. That's just sloppiness on the part of the proofreader and/or the author. There are several other examples of bad math, just in the first couple of chapters.
Results:
Terry
May 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unreal

The story just didn't come across as real. ESPECIALLY how the writer so blithely wrote off a son! Having lost a child myself, there NO WAY a parent shrugs it off, even if it's apocalyptic times! Zero. None! In fact, nothing about the story had ANY emotional depth. Felt like reading a grocery list - do this, go there, say that, be this way or that, blah blah blah.

And, this writer has never driven from San Antonio to Oklahoma then to Memphis and finally, to New Orleans! He makes it sound li
Nancy M Clayton
Oct 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pastiche of everything

The prologue is interesting because it features two pages with hard science to set the scene. Beyond that, the body of the story reads like a cut and paste. Characters, lacking sense, are awful. I had to stop reading at about 50%. Could not stand it any longer.
Esmeralda
Don’t do it..

This is the the story of the most stupid, self centered, narcissistic survivor family.........EVER.
For that matter, the whole human race didn’t deserve to survive the first chapter..

Audiobook.
Story. - ⭐️
Narration- ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Overall - ⭐️
Emma
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very easy to read, however I was constantly trying to ignore how utterly STUPID the characters were. They just kept on making such dumbass decisions. The only reason any of them were alive at the end was because the author said so. Not an ounce of believeability in it.

I enjoyed the first part of the book much more than the rest of it. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but when characters in other books make dumb decisions, I haven't minded. I could not look past this.

Three and a
Cid
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, but scattered, unfocused and difficult to suspend disbelief

ROUGE PLANET: FROZEN STAR is a combo sci-fi/post-apocalyptic novel that is entertaining but takes a few missteps WAY outside the realm of what is possible. I get that this type of book is not easy for any author and this genre requires the reader to imagine otherworldly scenarios guided by the vision of the author.

It is the author's job to make the reader either believe that this world view is possible, or, if not, to make
Jen
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Meh.

This book has all the right elements but none of the spark or life I've come to expect. The audiobook narration is ok, but Flynn Earl Jones doesn't distinguish between the voices of the characters. That makes it hard to know who's speaking. Beyond that, none of the characters are overly likable. The parenting is horrible. The bad guy - why do we need a bad guy, seriously? Isn't the situation bad enough? He enters early on and just seems unnecessary and there only as a plot device for shock v
Bonnie Hunsaker
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Makes me wonder

Robert Heinlein would be proud of the real facts and science used in this book. They make sense of what happens. People react instead of acting. Not all who cry wolf are wrong. Makes me wonder what our government is hiding. Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Kent
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm

This was a difficult story to stomach but I persisted since I don't like to leave a book partially read. It didn't suit my tastes for realistic science in fictional format and I found the characters and the interactions simplistic and unrealistic. While there was lots of action, it didn’t, ring true in context. I can't recommend this book.
Kay Smillie
Trying to decide if this is top notch sci-fi or utter drivel? The truth is somewhere in the middle. The idea was sound but it didn't really grab me enough to contemplate reading the next in the series. An undemanding read.

Ray Smillie
Steve Youngren
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic reading.

I have liked Jasper Scott's other books and this one is no different. He is a great writer and i look forward to reading more. This book was hard to put down.
William
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
While this is a Sci-Fi story, the driving force here is the emotions and actions of the Human characters. I especially liked that it was set just a few years ahead of the current times. The premise of the story is so plausible, it feels real. A cold dead star is speeding towards earth on a near miss path that will expand our orbit and throw the earth into a vast Ice-Age where the Glaciers will extend down into northern Texas and Florida. From the time it is identified until it's devastating arri ...more
Steve Chaput
This is the first book in the Rogue Star series, from the author.

It is learned that a huge mysterious object is gradually making its way to Earth, its arrival could cause catastrophic changes to our environment. Various groups in governments around the world, and private concerns begin to make plans. When it is later learned that there are mysterious crafts following the star and signals from them are received, panic begins to ensue. For Logan Willis and his family, they may have a chance others
Jerry Mount
I started this book knowing that it is the first volume in a series. That is often a deal-breaker for me. I prefer stories that are at least mostly stand-alone. Sometimes an entire book is really just a lot of filler and setup for the next book. But I went ahead, and I'm glad I did. This story kept me interested. Not great, but good. I liked the setup and the science behind the discovery of the coming disaster. I saw in the afterward that the author went to considerable effort to make the scienc ...more
Daniel Kupres
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jerald
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The winter will cover most of the Earth forever.

Jasper T. Scott has once again delivered a page turner that you will find hard to put down. Not quite an end of the world, but close enough to total destruction.

Ten years ago an object was discovered in the vast reaches of space that was speeding towards the earth. The man who first found it was not believed and was fired. His attempts to convince others fell on un-hearing and uncaring ears.

Fast forward ten years and it is suddenly rediscovered hur
Karol Ross
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Logan and Kate had reached the pinnacle of their chosen life, with the house, the car, the job, a son and daughter, private schools, and all the trappings. When uncontrollable events convinced Logan that his life was at its all-time low, he learned that a star which had escaped its galaxy was hurtling toward Earth and that scientists had quietly been tracking the rogue star for a decade. Only a chosen few knew that the star's close trajectory would knock Earth out of its orbital path or the horr ...more
Shizue´A. Starks
I admire Jasper's writing; I liked the way he expressed how aliens would be invading earth and that a dead star will cause a deadly freeze, even in places where ice isn't supposed to touch. I think he did a good job expressing each of the characters reactions when they learn that they must act within a certain amount of time or else it'll be too late, especially for the family of Logan Willis, whose life isn't already perfectly pieced together.
I must combine this story, even though its Sci-fi an
Brandon
The premise was okay. Giant rock is en route to pass near Earth and throw us out of our comfy orbit, along with causing tidal waves and twenty degree mean temperature drop worldwide. Scientifically, it really didn't make much sense, nor have much explanation. Not sure why it would cause early winter and temperature drop months before it even approached close to earth, but whatever. The big thing that kept me from giving four stars was the incredible stupidity of the characters. Sure, there are p ...more
James Hightower
Not impressed. The original story concept showed considerable promise. I really like body snatchers concept. That played well. However, the twist at the end was poorly done. The author might as well have ended with it was all a dream. Not satisfying at all. Additionally there are some serious inconsistencies. People mention the marriage timeline, but also the son. Logan finds his son and he has a beard! What 15 year old can grow a beard in six months?

Also, the advanced tech did not ring true. Y
Tab
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Frozen Earth, by Jasper T. Scott, is absolutely, unabashedly, exhilaratingly nuts. This is your basic book about a middle aged family man who, while coming to terms with his wife's infidelity, is thrust into a madcap adventure involving Nibiru, an ice age, a Mars colony, artificial ocean habitats, and Spanish speaking robots.

This book is not particularly coherent. Our hero, Logan Willis, is a fickle guy who second guesses himself at every turn. Yet! Yet! Logan is incredibly dutiful. For example
Mcleod Duncan
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 11 and over
Recommended to Mcleod by: friend
With believable characters, and a storyline with authentic possibilities making a gripping tale with all the twists and turns crafted by the master writer Jasper T Scott. It just doesn't get any better than this
Imagine you're responsible for your families survival, you have no survivalist experience, your city becomes dangerous, You part to find a haven, but an even greater evil awaits you, your wife and kids,There is hope, fear, and joy but death is always waiting to trap you at every decision
Patrick
Louise
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting if not gripping.

I wasn't sure where this going and did enjoy it, but I am still left wondering where the story is going. This might possibly be due to my reading time being very short and fractured and not the author.
I didn't understand why it was getting cold before the Rogue star hit and some of the decisions were a little frustrating by the families, but then maybe also under pressure this might be realistic.
The characters start to develop but I didn't find them reaching out to m
Su
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

This is a story of love and forgiveness. No, not really. I mean Kate and Logan do love each other and they have two children. But Kate cheated on Logan and just as he was thinking about what to do, the story broke about a giant dead star headed for Earth. It's actually named after Kate's brother.

This story has so much action and mystery, it grabs you and hangs on to you to find out what this all means. There are good guys, and guys, soldiers, billionaires, and aliens. Real aliens.

I
Richard
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: syfy, aliens, alien-tech
When reading dystopian SyFy we get used to characters doing stupid things in our books. When it crosses the line and our characters do one stupid thing after another it's just annoying. When a story has a good SyFy premise and good potential but is only ruined by characters doing dumb things because they are stupid, it is so disappointing. C'mon writers please have characters behave as normal, interesting, people would behave (in dire straights), not like buffoons. If your looking for frustratio ...more
Joyce Hertzoff
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy this kind of science fiction story, especially if it’s as well-done as this one. A rogue asteroid is hurtling toward Earth. It will cause another ice age, affecting the northern half of the U.S.
Named for Richard Greenhouse who discovered it, the rogue hides an invasion by alien robots. Richard’s sister Kate, brother-in-law Logan, and their family don’t take his warnings that it’s coming until it’s almost too late for them to fly from New Jersy to San Antonio and join him in the co
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Ancients (The Survivors, #4)
  • The Theos (The Survivors #5)
  • The Event (The Survivors, #1)
  • Rift (The Resistance #1)
  • Mother Ship
  • New Threat (The Survivors, #2)
  • Polar Vortex
  • New World (The Survivors, #3)
  • Occupation (Rise #1)
  • Extinction Crisis
  • The Lazarus Protocol (The SynCorp Saga, #1)
  • Old Enemy (The Survivors #6)
  • Forerunner (AI Fleet Book 1)
  • Things Fall Down (Jack Archer Post Apocalyptic Survival #1)
  • Revenge (The Resistance #2)
  • Divided: Silent Nation Book One
  • Reclamation (Rise #3)
Jasper Scott is a USA Today bestselling author of more than 20 sci-fi novels. With over a million books sold, Jasper's work has been translated into various languages and published around the world.

Jasper writes fast-paced books with unexpected twists and flawed characters. Join the author's mailing list to get two FREE books: https://files.jaspertscott.com/mailin...

Rogue Star (2 books)
  • New Worlds (Rogue Star #2)