Start by marking “Note del guanciale” as Want to Read:
Note del guanciale

Note del guanciale

"Sei Shõnagon scrisse le "Note del guanciale" alla fine del X secolo: aveva circa trent'anni ed era dama di corte dell'imperatore Sadako. Fu quello il periodo di maggior fulgore per i Fujiwara e Sei Shõnagon, protetta dall'Imperatrice, poté manifestare il suo genio, gareggiando in talento, intelligenza, sensibilità e cultura con numerose altre argute, belle e sapienti dame ...more
Published 2002 by SE (first published 1002)

To ask other readers questions about Note del guanciale, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Immeasurably. We learn what it was like to live as a member of the ruling clan at the court of Kyoto over 1000 years ago. Dress was paramount, as was…moreImmeasurably. We learn what it was like to live as a member of the ruling clan at the court of Kyoto over 1000 years ago. Dress was paramount, as was a knowledge of history, literature, religion and legend. But you need the footnotes, as Shonagon writes for people who are living with her and know that culture from the inside. I recommend Meredith McKinney's translation. You'll need two bookmarks, one for where you're reading and the other at the end notes that go with that point. It's well worth reading slowly, taking your time.(less)

Madeline
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Elegant Things

A white coat worn over a violet waistcoat.
Duck eggs.
Shaved ice mixed with liana syrup and put in a new silver bowl.
A rosary of rock crystal.
Snow on wisteria or plum blossoms.
A pretty child eating strawberries."

Sei Shonagon was a lady-in-waiting to the Empress of Japan during the Heian period. At one point, she was given some extra paper that had been lying around and decided to make a pillow book - a book kept by her bed, where she jotted down stories, memories, lists, and whatev
Natalia Yaneva
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
„Неща, от които сърцето силно се разтуптява
Да храниш врабче.“

Ако и вие като мен сте свързвали заглавието на тази книга с едноименния холивудски филм, където неясни калиграфски образци сластно се появяват върху голи тела, недейте. Своеобразният дневник, който представлява „Записки под възглавката“, е изпреден от вниманието към дребните неща и една съзерцателност, която носи духовно удоволствие и въодушевление.

Като придворна дама на японската императрица в края на 10-ти век Сей Шонагон пише предим
Hana
A thousand years ago, one evening, a woman picked up her brush, drew it over an inkstone and wrote….

In spring it is the dawn that is most beautiful. As the light creeps over the hills, their outlines are dyed a faint red and wisps of purplish cloud trail over them.

In summer, the nights. Not only when the moon shines, but on dark nights too, as the fireflies flit to and fro, and even when it rains, how beautiful it is!

She was a lady-in-waiting who served ten years in the court of a Heian Empress;
Michael Finocchiaro
Less interesting than its closest contemporary, The Tale of Genji, this is another interesting book about the intimate life of the Japanese imperial court during the Heian period (as Genji is as well). It is full of interesting anecdotes and pillow talk (thus the title), but in a less poetic style as Genji which for me remains the reference and the milestone.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Lovely, amazing, brilliant book from a court lady with spectacular wit and humor. I really need to reread this again some day. When I have a week to spare.

I've never had to work so hard to read a book before. It's been years since I've read it, but this book took me days and days to read, mainly because of all the footnotes. And you HAVE to read the footnotes. Every entry had a footnote, and I had to constantly flip back and forth to read it in order to understand the context.

Jimmy
Mar 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, japan
"He spoke to me of Sei Shōnagon, a lady in waiting to Princess Sadako at the beginning of the 11th century, in the Heian period. Do we ever know where history is really made? Rulers ruled and used complicated strategies to fight one another. Real power was in the hands of a family of hereditary regents; the emperor's court had become nothing more than a place of intrigues and intellectual games. But by learning to draw a sort of melancholy comfort from the contemplation of the tiniest things thi ...more
Karla Strand
See the full review at http://www.karlajstrand.com/2018/10/02/the-pillow-book-of-sei-shonagon-a-classics-club-review/

The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon is a fascinating look at Japanese court culture during the 11th century Heian period (794 to 1186).

While others may be more familiar with Murasaki Shikibu’s The Tale of Genji as an example of classic Japanese literature of the time, I chose The Pillow Book instead – I always lean towards bucking the trend and I was intrigued by what I had read of Se
Edward

Notes
pearl
May 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, japan
Incredible, witty, beautiful prose. Shonagon Sei was a sarcastic and insightful woman who was unafraid to air out her own prejudices (staples among her lists of hated things: commoners, and exorcists who fall asleep on the job), as well as her love for all things beautiful and the mildly hilarious.

Many call this the earliest "blog" in history, but it's much more than that. It's a vivid, if not remarkable look into Heian court life through the eyes of a strong Japanese woman, a true individual o
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: journal, japan
This famous 10th-century Japanese journal "The Pillow Book" (Penguin, 2006) by Sei Shonagon translated by Dr Meredith McKinney is a bit more descriptive than its predecessor "The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon" (Penguin, 1981) translated by Dr Ivan Morris as we can see to compare, tentatively, from the following extracted paragraphs:

[1]* In spring, the dawn -- when the slowly paling mountain rim is tinged with red, and wisps of faintly crimson-purple cloud float in the sky.
In summer, the night -- m
Annie
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review reads more like a review of Sei Shonagon as a person, which is accurate. The Pillow Book is Sei Shonagon, cut and bound into book form.

With that in mind... Sei.

You know how when you’re out, you meet someone who seems like a ditzy party girl—she’s super drunk and slutty and lots of fun, but doesn’t seem particularly intelligent?

And you know how most of the time that’s an accurate assessment, but sometimes you start talking to her and she ends up quoting Hegel at you, or tipsily poin
Akemi G.
Sei Shonagon is brilliant. She was a lady-in-waiting for Empress Teishi, the first empress of Emperor Ichijo. Ichijo loved her dearly, but when Teishi's father died prematurely, his younger brother, Fujiwara no Michinaga, rose to power, and Michinaga pushed his daughter, Shoshi, as Ichijo's additional empress. Teishi stayed in His Majesty's palace (the emperor could have multiple consorts anyway), but was distressed. Sei Shonagon tried to comfort Her Highness with her wit, which eventually resul ...more
Smiley (aka umberto)

Impressively I found this translated book by Dr Ivan Morris interestingly enjoyable, informative and more in detail than the one by Dr Arthur Waley in the same title (Tuttle, 2011) since it totally comprises 185 topics followed by each translated text. Unfortunately, this book is not the complete translation because you have to read it in another one by another publisher, that is, Oxford University Press and Columbia University Press, 1967 (p. 16). In the meantime, I think we should be
Justin Evans
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, history-etc
It's always nice to find a classic that's entertaining; consider Don Quixote. It's even nicer when that classic can be read in ten minute increments just before bed, and I recommend that everyone do precisely that with The Pillow Book. There are plenty of novels out there, plenty of poetry collections, popular philosophy books, essay collections, lots of literary criticism, memoirs and so on. This combines all of those things, and does all of them well. I could quote at great length, but won't. ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I didn't expect to like this. But Sei Shonagon was blogging centuries before blogs existed. Her writings in her pillow book vary from lists of unpleasant things to descriptions of fashions to funny stories from the Japanese court life. The tone is a mixture of self-righteousness and wonder, which is why I kept thinking of Harriet the Spy. I learned a lot about Japanese culture at the time, almost by accident. And the Morris translation is heavily footnoted.

"There's really something sad about a w
SilviaG
Me ha parecido una historia encantadora. En él, nos adentramos en la vida diaria, y en los gustos personales de una dama de la corte del emperador japonés del siglo X. Nos relata las costumbres del Japón de entonces. Pero es increíble como algunas de las reflexiones que ella hacía hace tantos siglos, no son tan diferentes de las que podríamos llegar nosotros hoy en día.
He disfrutado mucho de la lectura de este libro.
I've never read a book quite like this one. It's not a "pick up and read in one sitting" kind of book. But it does provide an interesting lens into late 10th, early 11th century Heian Japan (told from the point of view of a gentle woman who tends to an Empress).
Paige
What a marvellous tale of how Heian court life was. It was amazing how much I found myself relating to Shonagon even though her life was very very different than that of mine, let alone modern day society. Her lists and her style of writing have been somewhat inspiring (speaking as a writer) and have showed me how amazing the art of writing truly is and has always been. I can see why Aidan Chambers was inspired by the poems and the style of Shonagon's Pillow Book.
Adéla Tůmová
Některé části docela zajímavé (jak se Paní Sei vsadila, že sněhová hora vydrží do určitého data, a jak ji zákeřně sabotovali:) jiné nuda (bez toho, že červené kabátky jsou slušivé a které stromy vypadají pěkně, bych se klidně obešla). Prostě deníček všeho možného.
Heidi Nemo
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A window into the mind of a courtier from another time.
She's by turns sharply observant, competitive, emotionally self-absorbed, and incredibly aesthetically finely honed.

But simply as this--a diary, 1,000 years old--it is a valuable thing indeed.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in japanese culture and history
A calming, fascinating and hugely enjoyable read. I didn't know what to expect when I started this, but what I got was immensely satisfying. This is a book to be sipped slowly, like a fine brandy. Lots of footnotes, lots of things to think about. A thousand years old and really not much has changed, though so much has changed so much.

Sei Shonagon was a lady in waiting (for lack of a better term) to the Empress in Kyoto, over a thousand years ago. The Pillow Book is very much like what used to be
Smiley (aka umberto)
I preferred this memoir-like book less than its contemporary one "The Gossamer Years" (Tuttle, 1964) translated by Edward Seidensticker. Translated by Arthur Waley, one of the great Orientalists, its recorded episodes have been fragmentary, presumably newly compiled under headings for more ease in reading as well as following the author’s train of thought.

This information related to “The Gossamer Years”, I think, should throw more light on our understanding:
Very little is known of the author out
Julie Ruble
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't finished this book yet, but have read a lot of it. I skip over some of the daily accounts in favor of the lists / observations / character sketches. I need to go back and fill in the blanks, but it might be awhile before I get to it. For now:

A "pillow book" is a collection of random notes, character sketches, lists, poems, and observations that the Japanese upper class during the Heian period might have kept in the drawers of their wooden pillows. Having an example of the pillow book g
Gwern
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the descriptions of natural beauty are admirable, and some of the anecdotes of court life are interesting, much of the material is boring and Shonagon herself has ugly streaks of elitism in her outright contempt for anyone lower than herself (eg casually declaring that lower-class women should not even be allowed long or medium-length hair, an opinion which is certainly not 'delightful') and fawning admiration over anyone higher than her, particular the thoroughly unimpressive emperor/empr ...more
Hal O'Brien
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written at the turn of the 10th Century CE, Shonagon is easily the first blogger. Lists, streams of consciousness, the minutiae of everyday life, insights on the larger culture of the Heian period of Japan... It's all here. The West wouldn't see anything like it until Montaigne and Pepys.
Mariano Hortal
Publicado en http://lecturaylocura.com/el-libro-de...

El libro de la almohada de Sei Shonagon. Intimismo milenario

Según leía el libro, dos textos brillaron con luz propia por lo que suponen una vez pasados más de mil años dese su publicación:
“Oscurece y casi no puedo seguir escribiendo y mi pincel está gastado. Sin embargo, yo quería agregar unas cosas antes de concluir.
Escribí estas notas en mi casa, cuando tenía mucho tiempo libre, y por lo tanto nadie se enteraba de lo que estaba haciendo. He
Bob
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia
The element of The Tale of Genji which appealed most to me was its exoticism, which The Pillow Book, or at least these extracts, captures without any of the effort of following the former's plot echoes, characterization, and psychological nuances. Sei Shonagon can't capture Murasaki's deep sense of the tragic evanescence of life, but the lack only makes her more appealing, in some ways, to a modern reader.
Ανδρέας Μιχαηλίδης
Ομολογώ πως αδυνατώ να καταλάβω γιατί αυτό το βιβλίο θεωρείται αριστούργημα της ιαπωνικής πεζογραφίας, ή της πεζογραφίας γενικότερα (πρόκειται για μια αποσπασματική έκδοση που με έπεισε απόλυτα να μην διαβάσω το πλήρες κείμενο). Όπως ευθαρσώς λέει, είναι ένα ημερολόγιο. Περιγράφει εικόνες, προσωπικές εντυπώσεις κι ένα σωρό άλλα πράγματα. Αυτό είναι και το βασικό πρόβλημα: "πρσωπικές". Δυσκολεύομαι να καταλάβω γιατί κάποιος να βρίσκει τόσο ενδιαφέρουσες τις τετριμμένες σκέψεις ενός άλλου ανθρώπου ...more
shanghao
Beautiful Things
Flashes of wit, impunity, tenderness. Contradictions and multiple facets of Sei's character. Unabashed honesty, pettiness and surprising piety.

Annoying Things
Intrusions to the actual entries from the translator, which usually ended as abruptly as they started.

The explanations were helpful, but the inconsistent way in which things were explained (some via footnotes, some directly slipped between the paragraphs) can be confusing. Definitely affected my enjoyment of reading this,
Maria Stancheva
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Плавно и красиво потъване в живота на двора на японския император в началото на 11 век.
Описания на случки и начин на мислене, които първоначално стряскат със своята различност, а малко по-късно очароват и стават все по-разбираеми с всяка прочетена страница.
Сей Шонагон е една типична жена, било то и японка от свитата на японската императрица и като такава и позволява да се хвали и изтъква по един прекрасен начин,но винаги изискан, винаги.
Учудиха ме и нравите в самия двор - можеш дълги години д
Goodreads Librari...: correct page number 2 19 Dec 06, 2015 03:12AM
Best Translation/Edition 3 215 Nov 16, 2014 07:21AM
  • As I Crossed a Bridge of Dreams: Recollections of a Woman in Eleventh-Century Japan
  • The Gossamer Years: The Diary of a Noblewoman of Heian Japan
  • The Diary of Lady Murasaki
  • The World of the Shining Prince: Court Life in Ancient Japan
  • The Confessions of Lady Nijō
  • Essays in Idleness: The Tsurezuregusa of Kenkō
  • The Tale of the Heike
  • The Narrow Road to the Deep North and Other Travel Sketches (Yuasa)
  • A Dark Night's Passing (Japan's Modern Writers)
  • Anthology of Japanese Literature: From the Earliest Era to the Mid-Nineteenth Century
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • Japanese Nō Dramas
  • 1000 Poems from the Manyōshū
  • One Hundred Leaves: A new annotated translation of the Hyakunin Isshu
  • The Waiting Years
  • Memories of Silk and Straw: A Self-Portrait of Small-Town Japan
  • The Kojiki: Records of Ancient Matters
  • The Wild Geese
清少納言 in Japanese
Sei Shonagon (c. 966 -1017) was a Japanese author and a court lady who served the Empress Teishi (Sadako) around the year 1000 during the middle Heian period. She is best known as the author of "The Pillow Book" (枕草子 makura no sōshi).
“In life there are two things which are dependable. The pleasures of the flesh and the pleasures of literature.” 70 likes
“Pleasing things: finding a large number of tales that one has not read before. Or acquiring the second volume of a tale whose first volume one has enjoyed. But often it is a disappointment.” 51 likes