Start by marking “After She's Gone” as Want to Read:
After She's Gone

After She's Gone

(Flickorna och mörkret #2)

In a small backwater town in Sweden, a young boy with a dark secret comes across a diary. As a cold case investigation suddenly becomes eerily current, a police investigator mysteriously disappears. What links these seemingly random events?

As atrocious acts from the past haunt the present and lives are changed forever, some will struggle to remember - while oth
Kindle Edition
Published February 7th 2019 by Zaffre (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about After She's Gone, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Evan The sister they tracked down said she was already pregnant when she left Bosnia.

Michelle
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Malin is a young police woman that has done everything she can to escape her back water town of Ormberg but when they reopen a cold case of a murdered little girl (a body she discovered as a teenager) she is called back to assist in the investigation due to her familiarity with the forest and terrain.

Peter and Hanne, he an investigator and she a psychological profiler, are also called into assist. After just a week into the investigation Peter goes missing and Hanne is found wandering the woods
Chris
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book’s atmospheric telling of some odd, nefarious behavior in Sweden, leaves the reader feeling confused, cold, dark, and tired.

A very small town in Omberg, Sweden, is in despair. Its occupants are also in despair. Loss of jobs, loss of income, depressing environment. One of these places where if you don’t get out early in, you probably never will, and will die there. Everyone pretty much knows everyone’s business, though there still are secrets.

One of Omberg’s own, returns to work on a p
Miriam Smith
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readers-first
SHE HOLDS THE KEY TO A MURDER - SHE JUST DOESN'T REMEMBER . . .
"After She's Gone" is the second novel by Camilla Grebe following on from the success of "The Ice Beneath Her". Although part of a series, it can easily be read as a standalone, like I did and still be thoroughly enjoyed.
I've read quite a few 'Scandi Noir' thriller books recently and although excellently written, found them to be over detailed and too atmospheric. Thankfully "After She's Gone" is a refreshing change as the author h
Liz Barnsley
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haunting mystery tale. Full review to follow.
Laura/Mystery in Minutes
3.5/5 Stars
Winner of the 2018 Glass Key Award, Swedish crime novel After She’s Gone is the follow-up to Camilla Grebe’s 2016 release, The Ice Beneath Her, which was one of my favorite books the year that I read it! While Ms. Grebe has some powerful messages to impart in her latest work, After She’s Gone is not as strong in its execution as the first in the series.

One of the common characteristics of Scandinavian and Nordic crime fiction is that it often includes social commentary, exploring issues of
Carlene Inspired
After a horrifying experience in her teens Malin has become a police officer, determined to help people and use it as a way to leave her small town behind for good. When a task force is set up to clear old cases she is called back to Ormberg and the case that changed her life forever. Just a few days into revisiting the case of the dead child never claimed, Peter, an investigator, goes missing, and Hanne, a psychological profile and his partner, is found wandering, her diary missing and her memo ...more
Sherri Thacker
Quickly I realized this book is not for me.I had a really tough time following this story. I did not connect with the characters or the story line for that matter. DNF at 25%. Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this complimentary book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Heidi
I was very excited when I stumbled across THE ICE BENEATH HER earlier this year. I love Scandinavian thrillers, and Camilla Grebe ticked all the boxes for me with her police procedural. I was hoping to see psychological profiler Hanne Lagerlind-Schön back in another book, and with AFTER SHE’S GONE my wish has been granted!

The story starts out with the type of atmospheric setting that makes this book series so irresistible for me. Ormberg, a small backwater town amidst a large Swedish
Bandit
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starting the month of reading in style with a Scandinavian thriller. It’s been a while since I’ve read them, in itself an accomplishment considering their prevalence in the world. And this was really great too, even for a subgenre that’s reliably good. Which is to say it had all the right Scandinavian elements (dark atmosphere, forbidding weather, gorgeous but isolated scenery) and genre prerequisites (suspense, murder mysteries, plot twists) and on top of that was also very well written. In fac ...more
Rachel Hall
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Superior, contemporary & socially conscious Scandi-noir thriller with a multifaceted plot.

Camilla Grebe’s exceptional second novel to feature beleaguered psychological profiler Hanne Lagerlind-Schön is as much about the isolated Swedish backwater town of Ormberg where the entire story takes place as its central protagonist. In fact, Ormberg could be just about any depopulated town, devastated by the closure of the factories where the locals are resentful about the lack of government supp
Denise
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Those who sow the wind, harvest the storm."

Hanne Lagerlind-Schön and her partner, Peter Lindgren, from the National Operations Department in Stockholm, along with their colleague Manfred Olsson, are in Ormberg investigating a cold case involving the murder of a young girl who was never identified 8 years prior when her body was discover in a cairn. Two other more local police officers join in the squad, Andreas Borg and Malin Brundin. The group begins examining the little bit of inf
Ken Fredette
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Boy, I really enjoyed Camilla Grebe's book. It had one of the most unbelievable, I didn't think that's coming, in the book. You have to read it yourself to discover it, it will blow you away. Malin is a fairly new policewoman and she goes home to drunks and weird people. An old dropped case that she found when she was younger where a little girl that was found dead was reopened. They brought Peter and Hanne to profile the case and end up with Hanne being forgetful and Peter missing. The case get ...more
Bookread2day
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I read this book in hardback
Camillia Grebe is back with another Unputdownable novel. I'm a huge fan of Camillia Grebe I've read The Ice Beneath Her, that I highly recommend to crime fans. I've also read More Bitter Than Death. I was so right to be excited about reading After She's Gone, it has taken my top star spot. Once I started reading this story I couldn't stop. If you haven't read books by Camillia Grebe, please try this one, I'm sure you will become a fan of Camillia Grebe too.
It's qui
eyes.2c
"In a small town you’re always fully exposed to other people. And to yourself."

The skeleton of an infant girl is found near a cairn by teenagers making out. It's 2009. A place where a local legend about the Ghostly Child is centered. The cairn is like a ley line for the small village of Ormberg, a crossroads, attracting all sorts of misery and mystery.
Fast forward to 2017 and we have a young woman found dead near that same cairn, a police profiler Hanne Lagerlind-Schön, is foun
Donna Hines
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Diaries are so valuable especially in cold cases as the trail they leave often speaks from the grave especially ones you're about to crack wide open but then you went missing!
Psychological profiler Hanna barely escaped a serial killer and now she's finding love in the most unexpected places with investigator Peter.
Peter and Hanna had a special connection as the worked together to solve a murder case ten years earlier only to both turn up missing.
But what if she were to suddenly
Paula
May 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful.
Claire
While I generally like the scandinavion noir thrillers, this one did almost nothing to me. I found it lacked speed and therefor got complicated, there were too many different storylines, all clouding the mystery, but not necessarily in a good way. As to the characters: not enough background/psychology to make them authentic
debra

3.5*s Read Michelle's excellent review for this title.
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Allen & Unwin for providing me with a copy of After She's Gone, in exchange for an honest review.

After making a horrifying discovery when she was a teen, Malin becomes a police officer and finds herself assigned to a related cold case many years later.

Jake is a young teenager, with a secret he'd do anything to protect.  When he comes across an injured woman, coming out of the forest, with no memory of how she got there and finds himself in possession of her diary, he knows he should hand it in
Yvonne
This story is set in a fictional town in an out of the way area of Sweden. An old case is reopened and two specialist investigators are brought in to help… they go missing…

This is a slower paced Scandi Noir that took me a few chapters to get into, and if I am being honest, this is something that I kind of expect to a certain extent with noirish reads.

It is told in quickish chapters that alternate between three main characters, Malin, Hanne and Jake. Each is very different
Thebooktrail
description

visit the locations in the novel

I read this in Swedish ages ago(the second in the “Girl in the Dark” series and I didn’t make the connection doh!) and so when I started to read this, I shivered a bit as I remembered how dark and chilling it was. It doesn’t lose any of the chill factor in the English let me tell you. It’s the skill of the translator that some parts seem even darker!

A young female cop returns to a small town she was so desperate to flee. She tells one part of the story. The other, is a fourtee
CalifCat
How do I love thee, let me count the ways!!
1. Nordic noir at its best!
2. The setting and atmosphere
3. The Story
4. The beloved characters.

This is the second book in a series but it could be read as a standalone, but I recommend reading the books in order, and the first book in the series is The Ice Beneath Her. This way you get to know the characters and feel an attachment towards them.
You know those books where you start to get sad as the pages become le
Cynthia
My real rating is 3.75 stars ⭐
The story as told by the author offers a glimpse into two genres: cold case investigations and the relocation of asylum seekers. The story is told from multiple voices: cop on the cold case, a seasoned profiler, a teenager grieving his lost mother who is experimenting with cross dressing to name a few. I had no idea that the plot would take a hairpin turn prior to a quiet conclusion.
The author addresses the economic downturn apparently prevalent world 🌎 wide
booksofallkinds
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily reviewed this book from the Publisher

I must admit when I first read about this story it seemed a little confusing but I'm so glad that I picked up AFTER SHE'S GONE by Camilla Grebe because this is a clever, dark, and intense story that will hook you from the very beginning.

Psychological profiler Hanne and her partner, both professionally and personally, Peter are called to the tiny town of Ormberg to reinvestigate a cold case centred around the discovery of a little g
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was recently introduced to some Swedish thrillers, The Joona Linna series by Lars Kepler and I'm loving those books. Then I got accepted for an ARC copy of AFTER SHE'S GONE, another Scandinavian thriller/mystery novel and I enjoyed this one too!

AFTER SHE'S GONE is the second in a series and I read this novel before reading the first (shocking, I know!) but AFTER SHE'S GONE can be read as a standalone and more than anything, it has made me want to read the first book in the series.<
G.J. Minett
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first came across Camilla Grebe when I read "The Ice Beneath Her" and made a note to myself to keep an eye open for her next one. It's been a long eighteen months since then but "After She's Gone", let me tell you, is well worth the wait and will hopefully earn her an audience commensurate with her talent.
Troubled woman returns home to small backwater town is a familiar enough motif nowadays and has been handled with varying degrees of success. Rarely though, I would suggest, has the author
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
This was really enjoyable and kept me engrossed throughout. The main character is the psychological profiler Hanne Lagerlind-Schön. She and her partner, Peter an investigator are investigating a cold case from years before of remains found in a cairn.

However, Hanne is suffering memory problems and struggling to remember things so has to write everything down - then the body of a woman is found in the same place that the cold case victim was found and one of Hanne's shoes is found nea
Emilie
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A page turner for sure, generally good language throughout the book. The messages that the author wants to get across is mostly worked well into the story. There is a nice touch of horror which makes the book something more than a classic Swedish criminal story. I like that the stories are told from different perspectives and the author gives the characters their own voice and point of view.

On the negative side I figured out who was the murderer fairly early, although the last twist was a surpr
VickiLee
I do enjoy an atmospheric novel, and Scandinavian writing seems particularly good at it. A young teen finds a nearly frozen and highly terrified woman in the woods. She turns out to be a well-known psychological profiler who was in the area working on a cold case. The plot involves the discovery of a baby’s skeleton, and then, 25 years later the recently murdered body of the mother. The pages are full of vivid descriptions of a desolate landscape filled with not only police officers but many of ...more
Cassidy (Reminders of the Changing Time)
*taps mic*

villains can be straight, white, able-bodied males, you know? you do not have to sign-post the villain (every damn time) by making them a minority
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cover needed 2 14 Mar 01, 2019 01:08PM

• Inland (Berger & Blom, #2)
  • The Living and the Dead in Winsford
  • Back Up
  • Pigen uden hud
  • Il corpo di ghiaccio
  • Fan Mail
  • De vlinder en de storm (Hartland trilogy, #1)
  • Banesår (Henning Juul, #5)
  • Wienerbrorskapet (Fredrik Beier, #1)
  • Matar a papá
  • The Winter of the Lions
  • Annabelle (Charlie Lager, #1)
  • We Were the Salt of the Sea
  • Sov du lilla videung (Rönning & Stilton, #4)
  • Katalysatormordet (K2 #3)
  • Nights of Awe
  • Skyggedød (Vik & Stubø #5)
  • Madness Treads Lightly
Camilla Grebe is an entrepreneur and a former publisher and CEO. She lives in Stockholm, Sweden. Her sister is Åsa Träff.

Flickorna och mörkret (3 books)
  • The Ice Beneath Her
  • Dvalan (Flickorna och mörkret, #3)
“His eyes wandered over her body as if she were a foreign land. A new, exciting continent he was considering emigrating to.” 0 likes
“the flashlight offers a false sense of security—outside its beam the darkness is impenetrable, and it leaves me as visible as a lighthouse.” 0 likes