Start by marking “Black Nowhere (Lisa Tanchik #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Nowhere (Lisa Tanchik #1)

Black Nowhere

(Lisa Tanchik #1)

Chasing a cybercriminal into the pitch-black heart of the Dark Web.

Special Agent Lisa Tanchik is the best at taking down cybercriminals. So when the FBI discovers a multibillion-dollar black market online, she’s tasked with finding the creator and bringing him to justice. Donning one of her many digital disguises, Tanchik goes undercover into the network.

Brilliant

Published September 1st 2019 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Black Nowhere, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Reece Hirsch Yes, it is very much a Firefly reference. I spell it out in the book, so I'm not trying to hide anything there. Nice catch!

Start your review of Black Nowhere (Lisa Tanchik #1)
Dee Arr
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, crime-novel
Described as a thriller, “Black Nowhere” lives up to its advance billing. Reece Hirsch has crafted an excellent story that offers a quick, entertaining read. I found most of the book to be reality-based, without the usual over-the-top gimmicks normally employed by authors in this genre.

The story is told by two people, Lisa Tanchik and Nate Fallon. Lisa is an FBI Agent who has been “exiled” due to an unfortunate event early in her career, but the opportunity arises for her to help with a case
Dennis
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
What started out so amazingly, fell right down midway. Reece Hirsch’s Black Nowhere really does start juicy—we have a twenty five year old man creating a black market for drugs and weapons sales, with a FBI hacker following his every move. Black Nowhere starts off “distant” but it’s interpreted as dark and mysterious, however after halfway through the novel, we still have little to no characterization of the main character. I felt “distant” throughout the story and once the mystery faded, it was ...more
Tanja ~ T's Book ~ KT Book Reviews
Did you say FBI And cybercriminals? Yes, you did!! If you know anything about me you'll know that with this setup, I'm all in. A multibillion-dollar black market is running online. Special Agent Lisa Tanchik is tasked with trying to find who's running the scheme and shut them down. She's a master of online discuses and personas. She'll have to pose as a criminal to find an even bigger one.

This is a dual POV read and I sincerely enjoyed the back and forth. I found Black Nowhere to be a compelling
Kip
Aug 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Don't waste your time on this fictionalized version of "American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt for the Criminal Mastermind Behind the Silk Road" by Nick Bilton. The real life story is far more captivating and enjoyable.
Cathy Ryan
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nate Fallon is an idealist who believes everyone is entitled to buy drugs without government interference. To that end he has set up Kyte, an experimental marketplace on the Dark Web, where illegal drugs are bought and sold. Kyte is well planned and has made drug sales very cost effective. Nate is making a lot of money, but the FBI are on to him and so are the big cartels.

FBI special agent Lisa Tanchik is an expert in cybercrime with a detailed knowledge of the Dark Web. An anonymous message on
Deb
Two and half stars

A fictionalized account of the take down of Ross Ulbrict founder of the dark website, Silk Road, this book fails to add anything worthwhile to the mix. Since this is labeled, "Lisa Tanchik #1", presumable this is meant as an introduction to a new series lead. Sadly, Lisa Tanchik is a complete non-entity. We are told at the start that she deals with hereditary depression with pills and alcohol and brags about getting into the FBI anyway because although they knew about the
❤Marie Gentilcore
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I really enjoyed this suspenseful read featuring the FBI, coding, and the Dark Web. Thank you Goodreads First Reads for awarding me this kindle book. I had a blast reading it and I highly recommend it. The main character, Special Agent Lisa Tanchik, is a strong, intelligent, and fascinating character; I look forward to learning more about her as the series proceeds. I can hardly wait to read the next book in the series. I’m also going to check out more books by Reece Hirsch.
Ed
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting story of Nate, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur running a narcotics business on the "Dark Web" and Lisa, the young FBI agent assigned to find and stop him. Entertaining but too much Nate and not enough Lisa.
Mary Black
Not Bad At All

I read a lot of mystery and crime novels and admittedly this was my first cyber-crime novel. It was quite good.

I only have two things I would have liked to have seen more of. I feel Nate's character was developed more than Lisa's. considering this series is about Lisa I would have liked to have seen more of her internal struggle, and her character more developed in this story and less of Nate. Honestly it was hard for me to root for her because she was just underdeveloped.

Nate was
Linda
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This story of a young libertarian creating a platform on the dark web for unencumbered commerce, and the young agent chasing him, is a fast paced technical crime thriller that held my attention throughout. The villain was given some depth and conflicting morals and motives, which was interesting but also felt incongruous at times. The techie stuff seemed genuine and accessible, a nice feat with this kind of fiction.

I didn't realize until the afterword that this was inspired by the Silk Road
Tarrah Marie (Wayward Readers)
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A police-procedural with dark undertones that is told from dual perspectives. Hirsch did well to develop and maintain characters within the narrative, each lending individual support to the plot. Ironically, each character was also burdened with traits or nuances that made them unappealing. It is here that the reader is offered a unique perspective and able to appreciate the author’s true intent. Highly character driven. Recommended to crime/procedural fans everywhere! 4 stars.
Sophie
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took me a bit to hooked by the story and characters but once I did I couldn't put it down. Lisa, the young FBI agent has so much going against her. Between her personal demons and hard-nosed superiors, both male and female, you wonder how she will survive. Nate, the cybercrime genius isn't cast as the ugly typical nerd. There is depth to his character. There is suspense and violence but it is not overdone, going on for pages and pages like in some books.
I won this as a Goodreads giveaway
Tay
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great read where you feel for the villain Nate who is IMO the main character of the book. Lisa and the Cartel are hot on his trial while he's trying to juggle school and a girlfriend.

I won this this in a giveaway so thanks to the publisher and author.
Nancy
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was not a good fit for me.

This was probably a better book than I am giving it credit for. I just don’t follow all of the internet “happenings” and don’t understand it when I try. The criminal procedural part was interesting and I did like the main character. This book was not a good fit for me.
Ashley Lewis
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is more like 1.5 stars. The .5 star is simply because I feel like the author is skilled at writing...but the story and characters were not good.

This book follows both an FBI agent and a cyber drug criminal. We go through the investigation and also get to see how things play out from the criminal side of things, which is a great concept. However, I did not get attached to either character. I did not root for either one to "win" in the end, because I honestly did not care.

Overall, this was a
Djamila
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Amazon free book. Totally boring.
martin hansen lennox
Well written, very readable, but...

It appeared to be a fictionalised account of the Silk Road investigation, which I am already familiar with, therefore I found my interest flagging quite early. Because the true SR story is so fascinating, this account came across to me as a pale imitation and it became a DNF @ 20%.

I guess the plot may fork from reality later on in the book, but I'm afraid it didn't hold my attention long enough to find out.
Carl
Aug 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Didn’t make it very far before giving up on this novel. Would have scored it zero stars if that were an option. The free books on Amazon are seldom great, this experience will make me more cautious about what I download in the future.
Cid
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Plot that was inspired by true events!

August 10, 2019

Format: Kindle Edition

I realized, very quickly that Black Nowhere was inspired by the real Silk Road saga and it's incredible run on the dark web, as a place where EVERYTHING illegal was being bought and sold anonymously. The brighter it burned, the more government resources were applied to ensure it was taken down. Like Silk Road, the incredible success of the fictional KYTE, is also what brings it the wrong kind of attention from
Jathan Fink
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She’s smart. She’s devious. And she’s the best at what she does. When someone creates a vast online network of crime and vice, she will do everything she can to hunt down the Internet’s latest criminal mastermind, even if it means searching the deepest recesses of the dark web. Enter Reece Hirsch’s mind bending thriller, Black Nowhere.

Special Agent Lisa Tanchik has a knack for catching bad guys, especially those who try to get away with bad deeds in the nethermost shadows of the Web. When she
Book
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Nate Fallon creates KYTE, a website on the dark web that offers illegal products, like drugs, for sale. Nate considers KYTE “an experiment in a violence-free, coercion-free economy”. All of a sudden it’s making $1 million a day in sales. Nate discovers that the growth is due to an online article “Dark Web’s Online Drug Bazaar” with screen shots of available products and prices.

FBI Special Agent Lisa Tanchik brings the growing presence of KYTE to her supervisor SAC Pam Gilbertson and finds
Darcia Helle
The problem with writing novels based on current events is that, by the time the book is published, the events are no longer current. Black Nowhere features a Darknet site called Kyte. The author has clearly copied the real Silk Road Marketplace, a Darknet site launched in 2011 and shut down by the FBI in 2013. In this fictionalized story, the FBI is clueless about this sort of site existing on the Darknet, and so everything that happens in the story feels dated. If you don't know anything about ...more
Michael Howard
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very exciting. This was a clever plot, about a libertarian sort of Napster like dark web market for drugs, guns, etc. The libertarian angle was really well developed and interesting. Nate Fallon, the infamous CaptainMal, was young and smart and very hard working, and hit on this marketing idea that he pursued with a passion, using Tor which is an anonymized proxy network used to access the dark web. CaptainMal was a sympathetic character, who had an admirable philosophical foundation for is ...more
Jessica Bronder
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nate Fallon starts a marketplace called Kyte on the dark web to provide drugs to users. He is quickly successful and is quickly making lots of money. But the more money he makes the more people he attracts. The FBI are watching him along with some cartel people that are not very happy with Nate. Lisa Tanchik is a FBI agent that has issues and a past and is given this case. She has some personal demons but is determined to catch Nate before the cartel does.

This was an interesting read. I admit
Mindo'ermatter
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intriguing and Interesting Thriller

After the author develops the first few chapters, the book's fast-paced story grows with each chapter as an engaging reading experience, combining the dark web and the illegal drug market. Enter the FBI's newest cybercrime expert---she's not only smart but strong willed too. So glad I had the time to finish it in less that two days of spare time.

Once the storyline and characters are fleshed out, the entertaining tale is a compelling read with focused action
Jewel Atkins
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome in action packed at every moment

This story was surprisingly interesting. It kept me interested every single moment I just could not wait to see what was going to happen next. This is is outside my usual genre but now I'm looking for more books by this author and other books in this jonra. I chose this rating because it was worthy of it. I will be thinking about the story throughout the day and even when I didn't have time to pick up and listen or read not too many books do that to me
D. Starr
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mature audiences
How a Young Man's Values Get Compromised

For mature audiences
Very limited strong language
No sex
Violence, but if you can stomach the TV show "Bones" you'll be okay

Plot - no spoilers:
Lisa, a young cybercrime expert, discovers a new, sophisticated site on the dark web that comes to be called the eBay of illegal drugs and weaponry. She makes it her mission to figure out who has created it and to get it taken down.
Nate, the creator of the site, sees his new business as an avenue for all people to buy
Anne
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Reece Hirsch book but it won't be my last! FBI agent, Lisa is a whiz at cybercrime solving so when she is surfing the Dark Web and comes across the site Kyte, she realizes it's a hub of illegal activity as its mastermind has set it up to sell drugs and firearms. Of course it's encrypted and she has no way to discover the IP address so she must use several tricks to appear legitimate and gain information. Next we have Nate, the young college student behind the site who is a ...more
Charles T Thoennes
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Torn between antagonist vs protagonist

This was one of the rare reads where I was hoping the "bad guy" would get away, and I very much enjoy when a book creates that feeling. But note, I didn't want the bad guy to get away "with it," (he caused some awful acts to occur) only that he would give up his venture and allude capture.
While this book is centered on an online criminal venture, there wasn't too much tech jargon or geek speak. There was plenty of real life action and drama.
One last aspect
Octavia
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intelligence without Wisdom.

This story is an adaptation of the Silk Road case. The way Hirsch developed Nate into this full blown idealist with blinders on was epic. I understand Nate. In the bubble that is youth we are afforded the time and opportunity to think and feel deeply about our passions. We can read and developed heroes and role models. Our parents seem ordinary maybe even boring. We are ten feet tall and bullet proof with all the answers. These answers to the world's problems were
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count ASIN B07N3468BL 2 13 Dec 20, 2019 03:56AM

• An Equal Justice (David Adams, #1)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • Quantum (Captain Chase #1)
  • The Names of the Dead
  • The Loot (Charlie McCabe, #1)
  • The Last Dance
  • Trance (Alex Madison #1)
  • Auf zerbrochenem Glas (Ein Nik-Pohl-Thriller 1)
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • In the Dark
  • Forgotten Bones (Dead Remaining #1)
  • The Raid (Ryan Decker #2)
  • Stieg Larssons erfenis: Zijn jacht op de moordenaar van Olof Palme
  • Drowning With Others
  • All the Devils (Livia Lone #4)
  • What You Did
  • Thief River Falls
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw #1)
Reece Hirsch is the author of five thrillers that draw upon his background as a privacy attorney. His first book, The Insider, was a finalist for the 2011 International Thriller Writers Award for Best First Novel. His next three books, The Adversary, Intrusion, and Surveillance, all feature former Department of Justice cybercrimes prosecutor Chris Bruen. Hirsch is a partner in the San Francisco ...more

Lisa Tanchik (2 books)
  • Dark Tomorrow (Lisa Tanchik, #2)
“Depression was like a dark room, a black nowhere. Having a drink was like lighting a match—its flicker helped but only briefly. She knew that you couldn’t live your life madly burning through matchbooks—you had to somehow let your eyes adjust and learn to see clearly with the little bit of light that was available to you.” 1 likes
“When the depression swelled, it seemed to leach all of the color out of the world. She felt as if she were on a planet of her own, laboring in a heavy gravitational field that affected only her, barely able to move, barely able to speak, as the world careened heedlessly, stupidly past at full throttle.” 0 likes